12958The Devil Took the Wheel...

  • Richard D. Hendricks
    Sep 11, 2013

      Woman says devil took the wheel during high-speed chase through Delafield

      Complaint: Woman, 40, says the devil took over when she fled.

      By Steve Garrison

      A 40-year-old Milwaukee woman told arresting officers that the devil took over when she decided to lead police on a high-speed chase through the Town of Delafield last week.

      Sonja S. Hall was charged on Sept. 6 in Waukesha County Circuit Court with eluding police in a vehicle, a class I felony which carries a maximum sentence of 42 months in prison and $10,000 in fines. She was also charged with misdemeanor bail jumping and 12 traffic violations.

      According to the criminal complaint:

      Hall allegedly sped off during a routine traffic stop initiated by Jefferson County Sheriff's deputies at 11 a.m. on Sept. 5 near Church Street on I-94. Driving a blue mini-van, Hall sped east on I-94 traveling at what one state patrol officer estimated was 110 miles per hour.

      Hall allegedly veered between lanes and used the road's shoulders to dodge other cars during the pursuit and eventually exited off onto Highway 83. She blew through a stop light at Heritage Drive and turned down Lara Lane, a residential road with no exit. She reversed course and used Highway 83 to get back onto I-94. She managed to get as far as Brookfield Road before she was caught in a spike trap laid down by police.

      The vehicle's tires were shredded and the mini-van came to a stop. Three occupants, Hall, a man and a 16-year-old boy, exited the vehicle.

      Hall told police she had stolen gas at an Oconomowoc gas station earlier in the day and was hoping to lose the police in city traffic.

      The woman had nine warrants issued for her arrest; two in Milwaukee County, one from the Greenfield Police Department and six in Waukesha County. Her Waukesha County warrants were issued for a total of 19 charges related to retail theft, bouncing checks and bail jumping.

      IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: To comply with requirements imposed by the IRS, we inform you that any U.S. federal tax advice contained herein (including any attachments), unless specifically stated otherwise, is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purposes of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter herein.

      This message is a PRIVATE communication. This message and all attachments are a private communication sent by a law firm and may be confidential or protected by privilege. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the information contained in or attached to this message is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender of the delivery error by replying to this message, and then delete it from your system. Thank you.