    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 24, 2001

      Mark Plummer reported a protest in Austin, Texas this week.

      "For approximately one hour and fifteen minutes yesterday I engaged in an
      information campaign near the University of Texas at Austin. I arrived on
      Guadalupe Street around 1PM. I had been joined shortly before by 'Icee'
      and 'Roscoe', who offered to help leaflet as well as document my
      activities with a Hi-8 video camera and a digital camera.

      "After a few minutes, a young, pimpled fellow, perhaps around 5'4', with
      blonde hair and a wrinkled blue shirt approached me asking, 'Why are you
      doing this?' I inquired whether he was a Scientologist, to which he
      stated, 'No; I'm just curious.' Sensing that he was lying to me, I handed
      him a flier with 'www.xenu.net' printed on it, and I told him to read the
      web site, saying, 'The information is all there.'

      "A little while later I noticed Cathy Norman, Director of Special Affairs
      of the Austin Org, standing outside of her cult's building. In the 75
      minutes we were there, 'Icee' managed to pass out approximately 125
      fliers, all with 'www.xenu.net' on them. I continued walking back and
      forth on Guadalupe Street with my two signs, occasionally stopping to
      answer questions from some of the curious wogs.

      "An Austin policeman approached me asking whether he could speak to me. He
      was accompanied by another cop who just stood by and listened. Cathy
      Norman began taking photos of me talking with the police. I asked the
      first policeman if I had been accused of having committed a crime, to
      which he responded, 'Yes, she says that around a year and a half ago you
      put graffiti on their building.' I assured him that I had not, to which
      his response was, 'Do you know who did?' I told him that I do not know,
      and in fact that I hadn't even seen the graffiti alleged to have been put
      on their building. I explained 'FAIR GAME' to the policemen, and told
      them why the culties were harassing me by making false allegations in an
      attempt to get me arrested. The first policeman assured me that I was
      completely within my rights to engage in my information campaign, and I
      thanked him while handing him a 'www.xenu.net' flier."

      #####

      > Peace Message

      A Scientology press release on September 19th publicized a "declaration of
      peace" written by L. Ron Hubbard in the novel Battlefield Earth.

      "HEAR ME!

      "Out of a hell of shot and shell,
      Out of this chaos of contention,
      Let us bring peace to pointless fight.

      "Why do we court the whore called war?
      Why make of earth a shattered night?
      There is no ecstasy in killing.

      "Love alone can make man willing.
      So hear me warriors, hear me mothers.
      There is no pay in slaughtered brothers.

      "Attention, if your sense is fair,
      heed that which we now declare.
      PEACE! You races far and wide.
      Peace!
      Abandon your blood-soaked suicide
      and now abide in peace!
      Echo me!
      As in your hearts you yearn for love, not death!
      PEACE, we have declared it.

      "Snarls and strife must be at end!
      In peace alone can this earth mend.
      And now find ecstasy in love,
      love for earth, for all.
      The gods of peace have now spoken.

      "OBEY!"

      Source magazine this month publicized continued fundraising for the Super
      Power building in Clearwater and other Clearwater events.

      "In keeping with this growth, Cornerstone Membership has been expanding
      worldwide. From coast to coast in the US to Europe and Asia, new members
      are joining the ranks of the Cornerstone Club to support the project that
      will make planetary clearing a reality, through the release of Super
      Power.

      "In the last few months, 50 new Cornerstone Members were added. Their
      successes reflect what this project means to them, to all Scientologists,
      and to this planet.

      "Q. What interested you in taking on the project to Cheer Up Clearwater?

      "A. Actually, there's more than one answer to this question. First, I LOVE
      the music! It's joyous, exhilarating and you can't help but tap your foot
      to it. You might dance in your chair to it. There is every genre of music
      I enjoy on this CD - pop, jazz, dance, rhythm and blues, country and
      western, classic - and with great artists performing on it.

      "Second, I love Clearwater and the people here, what better gift to give
      them than music that will cheer them up and set their hearts soaring. 'The
      Joy of Creating' is a powerful message about the very heart and ingenuity
      of man and the renditions of that message are, in the words of Isaac Hayes
      'galvanizing'

      "Church representatives joined with the YMCA, Chamber of Commerce, Red
      Cross and Clearwater's Economic Development Team in a recent fundraiser
      for YMCA's scholarship programs for youth. The purpose of the YMCA is to
      create a happy and healthy mind, body and spirit for all those who come to
      them for recreational services - so we were happy to assist in their
      fundraising efforts."

      The St. Petersburg Times reported on September 23rd that members of the
      Lisa McPherson Trust continue to be discriminated against by Scientology.

      "Last September, Mark Bunker didn't even get beyond the front door of One
      Stoppe Shoppe on Cleveland Street when the owner told him: 'You're not
      allowed in here.' Two days later, Bunker and Jeff Jacobsen had just
      finished lunch at Daniela's Kitchen on N Fort Harrison when they were told
      never to come back.

      "The two men, both employed at the Lisa McPherson Trust, a downtown
      organization dedicated to fighting Scientology, believed their rights had
      been violated. They filed discrimination complaints with the Pinellas
      County Office of Human Rights. Last month, their claims were rejected. The
      Office of Human Rights ruled that church critics do not fall under one of
      the classes protected against discrimination, said Leon Russell, the
      county's human rights officer.

      "The trust also learned recently that it was snubbed by the Clearwater
      Regional Chamber of Commerce. The trust's membership application, filed a
      year ago, was never accepted. Trust members say they heard about it from a
      Scientology lawyer. Chamber officials say they question how the trust fits
      in with the chamber's business mission. Trust members say the chamber is
      filled with Scientologists who don't want church critics among the
      membership. 'There's nobody in Clearwater who can go against Scientology,'
      said Stacy Brooks, president of the Lisa McPherson Trust and a former
      Scientologist. 'It's really scary.'

      "'They are enemies of mine,' said Paris Morfopoulos, owner of One Stoppe
      Shoppe. 'I don't want them as customers and I'd certainly never assist
      them in any way.' Daniela Malka said while Jacobsen and Bunker did not
      cause any problems in her restaurant when they ate there, she has seen
      them picketing her church. 'They really, really chose a very bad spot to
      be located in,' Malka said. 'If they did choose this spot to be close to
      the church, this is the kind of situation they are going to confront. The
      church isn't joking around.'

      "Civil rights expert and historian Ray Arsenault said while the findings
      of the Office of Human Rights properly applied the law, the Scientology
      business owners are discriminating against the church critics. 'I don't
      think it should be legal,' said Arsenault, a University of South Florida
      professor and acting president of the Pinellas chapter of the American
      Civil Liberties Union. 'They're being penalized for their expression of
      the First Amendment. It really is a way of trying to bring pressure to
      stop them from exercising their First Amendment rights.'

      "Scientology attorney Kendrick Moxon described the discrimination
      complaint as another scheme by the Lisa McPherson Trust to get media
      attention and cause trouble for the church. 'When you look at how they
      were hired to come to Clearwater to cause Scientologists to be
      discriminated against and that they're saying now, 'We're being
      discriminated against,' they're completely outrageous,' Moxon said. 'It's
      a created situation. They are trying to create turmoil in the community.'

      "In defending their right to deny service, the business owners filed with
      the county hefty packets of documents that included, among other things, a
      Web site listing the Lisa McPherson Trust as a hate group, photos of trust
      founder Robert Minton picketing the church, a sworn statement by a church
      security officer recounting acts of violence against the church,
      correspondence and news articles about Minton's business dealings and
      police records of two other church critics not involved in the complaint."

      The Associated Press reported on September 20th that the employment agent
      license of a Scientologist has been revoked in Mainz.

      "Professing the teachings of Scientology founder Ron Hubbard is not
      compatible with working as an employee agent. That was decided on Thursday
      by the first Senate of the Rheinland-Pfalz State Welfare Court in Mainz.

      "The BfA had revoked the work permit it had issued for the 45-year-old
      complainant after learning of her membership in Scientology from newspaper
      stories. The former masseuse and bath attendant had acted as agent for
      au-pair girls mainly from Estonia with German host families.

      "The presiding judge Ralf Bartz detailed in the basis of the decision that
      the case went against the complainant mainly because she delivered between
      six and ten percent of the girls to Scientologists without telling that to
      the girls. Because she was dealing with minors whose native language was
      not German, this lack of information was deemed particularly problematic."

      > Jenna Elfman

      The New Zealand Herald reported on September 19th on Scientology celebrity
      Jenna Elfman.

      "Hit sitcom Dharma & Greg is looking shaky after dwindling fourth season
      ratings in the United States. Elfman is as kooky as her on-screen
      counterpart. Introduced to Scientology by her husband, Bodhi Elfman, she
      says the doctrine helps her to live her life better. In a 1999 interview
      she described using the E-meter, a device that is said to weigh mental
      energy. The subject holds two can-like objects hooked up to the E-meter.

      "'You know how your head feels heavy when you're having a problem?' said
      Elfman. 'It's actually mass that you can weigh. It's compressed mental
      energy. And the E-meter sees changes in that.' A counselor asks questions
      about what might be bothering you, Elfman explained, and if your response
      jolts the needle on the E-meter, you know you've found the root of your
      problem."

      The San Francisco Chronicle reported on September 18th that Jenna became
      lost recently while helping with a new mission in San Francisco.

      "Jenna Elfman, lost in San Francisco recently, got a ride from a cop she
      stopped to ask for directions to the nearest newsstand. She wanted to buy
      a ballet magazine (and isn't it nice that cops in this fair city are
      available to help celebrities?) Elfman was in town to help remodel a
      Mission Street building that will open as the Church of Scientology,
      Mission of SoMa on Sept. 29."

      #####

      > Keith Henson

      Scientology critic and refugee in Canada, Keith Henson reported receiving
      a threatening phone call this week.

      "Gregg was reading mail when the phone rang. It was either the third
      threat against him or the first one against me, take your choice.

      "The caller said 'We'll get you, you interfering son of a bitch.' Calling
      *69 got a most interesting result. It returned (twice) 905-632-4956 which
      when called says the number is out of service."

      Yahoo Internet Life published an article on Keith in its October, 2001
      issue.

      "When Keith Henson posted a joke about blowing up Church of Scientology
      members with a 'Tom Cruise Missile' in the alt.religion.scientology
      newsgroup, he didn't think it would get him arrested. Henson's posts were
      admitted as evidence in April when he was brought up on charges of
      terrorism, attempted terrorism, and interfering with religion to enjoy a
      constitutional right. Henson was convicted of the interfering charge (a
      hate crime) in California court and sentenced to up to a year in prison,
      in addition to a fine of $3,000. Before sentencing, Henson jumped bail and
      sought political asylum in Canada where, at press time, he remains.

      "So how did Henson end up on the run in a foreign country? Setting aside
      Scientology's widely reported suppression and intimidation tactics, the
      issue becomes one of cultural ignorance. Jokes are inherently unsanitary.
      They take the stuffing out of our leaders as well as our loved ones, often
      making the comfortable uncomfortable. And for better or worse, the online
      'death threat' has become one of the Net's standard jokes.

      "If Keith Henson had limited his protests to shouting at the top of his
      lungs about Tom Cruise Missiles out-side Scientology headquarters, he
      probably would have been dismissed as a harmless kook. But once his words
      went on the Net, they were enough to help convince a jury that a penniless
      58-year-old man was planning to deploy a piece of military hardware
      costing $600,000 and accessible only to top levels of the U.S. armed
      forces."

      #####

      > Kirstie Alley

      The Sacramento Bee reported on September 22nd that Scientology celebrity
      Kirstie Alley has opened a tutoring center in Sacramento.

      "'I have an aversion to the typical, sterile schoolroom setting,' Kirstie
      Alley says on the phone from Los Angeles. 'I wanted something that doesn't
      look like a school.' With that in mind, Alley, a TV and movie actress,
      personally designed the look of Lillie's Learning Place, a tutoring center
      in Sacramento sponsored by the Church of Scientology. The center, open to
      the public, is free.

      "Lillie's Learning Place is a phonics-based reading program that Alley
      says will help students learn how to study better. The program is based on
      the work of Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard. The first Lillie's Place,
      named after Alley's daughter, opened in the actress's hometown of Wichita,
      Kan. She will soon be opening four more, including one today in
      Sacramento. Alley and her daughter will be on hand for ceremonies at 5
      p.m. at the Church of Scientology Mission of River Park on Hurley Way.

      "Last week, the National Mental Health Association issued a press release
      warning the public 'to beware of representatives of the Church of
      Scientology claiming to be mental health professionals. The public needs
      to understand that the Scientologists are using this tragedy to recruit
      new members.' Alley calls the warning unfair. 'They are counselors. I
      personally know about 100 of them, and they are working hard to help
      people,' she says. 'Wouldn't you know that in the heat of all this, some
      people would use this as an opportunity to attack others? That's just more
      ignorance.'"

      #####

      > Los Angeles

      E-mail sent to Scientologists this week asked for donations so that a new
      billboard can be erected in Los Angeles to promote Scientology.

      "We have a golden opportunity to get a billboard up in the heart of
      Hollywood's hottest new tourist district that says, 'Scientology: 250,000
      people salvaged from drugs - visit www.thinkclearly.org.'

      "$1,000 of the $4,000 needed to finance the billboard has already been
      raised as a result of a few dozen Scientologists deciding that it is
      important to express their own goodwill by getting the Church's message
      out to the world. If you would like to participate in 'project goodwill,'
      your goodwill contributions to the Church of Scientology need to be sent
      (or brought) to the Community Affairs Office at 1308 L. Ron Hubbard Way,
      Los Angeles."

      #####

      > Marathon

      E-mail sent to Scientologists this week announced that runners will again
      be publicizing alleged human rights violations against Scientology in
      Europe.

      "On September 25, our 4th annual marathon - the 2001 European Marathon for
      Human Rights - will begin. More than 30 runners from Hungary, the Czech
      Republic, Austria, Germany, Switzerland, Spain, Italy, Great Britain and
      France are taking four separate routes to carry the vital message of the
      Universal Declaration of Human Rights to 10 major European cities. There
      are five starting points: Barcelona, Milano, London, Prague and Budapest.
      And, once again, a single destination: Paris, France.

      "The message to the government of France is that people of conscience from
      across Europe are demanding that France live up to international standards
      of human rights and religious freedom. On Monday, October 22, 2001, all
      the runners will converge on Paris on the final leg of their marathon.
      There they will be welcomed by thousands from all over the world to France
      to take part in the marathon's climax, a multi-faith rally for peace and
      human rights."

      #####

      > Missions

      "Zorrosblade" reported this week that Scientology has opened a new mission
      in Santa Monica to replace one that closed in February.

      "Scientology has opened a new mission franchise in Santa Monica
      California; located at 1337 Ocean avenue. Their first floor leased
      facility is very small, with an orange dianetic placard placed on their
      small front window, as well as scotch taping a WTC 'volunteer ministers'
      flyer notice of scientology 'on the NY scene.'"

      #####

      > World Trade Centers

      The National Mental Health Association issued a press release on September
      17th criticizing the placement of a Scientology phone number on Fox News
      during coverage of the World Trade Centers disaster.

      "The National Mental Health Association (NMHA) today is warning the public
      and media to beware of representatives of the Church of Scientology who
      are claiming to be mental health professionals assisting individuals in
      New York City.

      "'This is a very important and sensitive time,' said Michael M. Faenza,
      President and CEO of NMHA. 'I urge the Church of Scientology to stay out
      of mental health. The public needs to understand that the Scientologists
      are using this tragedy to recruit new members. They are not providing
      mental health assistance.' Faenza said Fox News had been broadcasting an
      800 help line for 'National Mental Health Assistance' and the network was
      unaware that the number was being answered by the Scientologist's center
      in Los Angeles."

      >From the Associated Press on September 17th:

      "Scientology spokeswoman Janet Weiland said church volunteers who offered
      assistance to people following last week's attacks at the Pentagon and in
      New York City were upfront about their affiliation. The church added in a
      statement issued Monday night that all of its volunteers wore bright
      yellow t-shirts or jackets with 'Scientology Volunteer Minister' printed
      in 4-inch letters on them.

      "NMHA spokesman Mark Helmke said at least one television outlet, Fox News,
      publicized a toll-free number for the church last week as one to call for
      people seeking mental health counseling. A Fox official in New York
      confirmed the number was on the screen for about two hours. 'Someone who
      called that number found out what it was and then they called us
      immediately and then we took it down immediately,' said the official, who
      declined to be quoted by name.

      "'Here they create a National Mental Health Assistance organization, with
      the same initials as our organization's and convince one major news outlet
      to post their mental health number, and what does it go to? It goes to a
      place where they are trying to get people to join Scientology,' said
      Helmke. 'It's clear they aren't trying to help people with mental health
      but to get them to join their cult,' he said."

      >From the Battle Creek Inquirer on September 19th:

      "Shortly after last week's terrorist attacks, a sign went up outside the
      Church of Scientology's temporary downtown location urging those disturbed
      by the tragedy to come in for free counseling. 'We had about 25 people in
      that day,' said Mike Delaware, executive director of the Battle Creek
      church. 'We put it out to offer free Scientology auditing and counseling.'

      "Critics are accusing the Church of Scientology of using the counseling
      and auditing - a type of therapy that uses an Electrophsychometer to
      measure somebody's mental state - to recruit new members into the church
      under the guise of providing mental health counseling after last week's
      attacks.

      "Erv Brinker, chief executive officer of Summit Pointe, said pastoral
      counseling can be just as effective as professional counseling. The key,
      he said, is simply to talk about feelings and avoid isolation. 'If they
      are out there truly helping people work out these issues and emotional
      trauma, it's wonderful. If they're out there using this to recruit
      members, that's not good,' he said."

      >From Tagesspiegel Berlin on September 19th:

      "The press wire read like a success story: 'Volunteer Ministers give
      assists to people in need at Ground Zero to get them going again. Then
      they show them how they can help others with assists. That way the number
      of qualified assistants continues to grow,' announced Scientology.
      Following that is a description, straight out of a Hollywood movie, of a
      religious awakening in which an exhausted fireman, after having received
      an 'assist' from a member of Scientology, is then able to continue
      searching for his missing brother. 'Touch Assists,' a type of laying on of
      hands, is recommended in 'The Way to Happiness' brochure, a
      non-aggressive, soft-PR piece by the Scientologists. The organization
      praised itself for gaining permission to enter, along with police, firemen
      and Red Cross workers, the cordoned-off area around 'the scene of the
      disaster at the World Trade Center.'

      "Experts in the field are outraged. This was a case of 'an opportunity
      being shamelessly exploited,' said Berlin Scientology critic Tilman
      Hausherr. Shortly after the murderous attacks, the organization was
      already soliciting for donations from members and non-members via e-mail.
      The same thing, according to Hausherr, happened back in the Oklahoma City
      bombing. It is 'unbelievable' that the USA loudly warns people about
      fraud, then ignores Scientology, Hausherr believes.

      "Apparently Scientology strategically held up emergency personnel in New
      York - 'members of the fire department, police, doctors and nurses' - and
      'trained them.' Scientology critic Hausherr believes it is simply
      'disgusting' that 'they're actually continuing to do it.' As of today, the
      Scientology 'volunteers' are standing among the Manhattan debris in their
      bright yellow t-shirts. And boast to each other in e-mail about having
      impeded other 'real' psychologists in their work."

      Scientologists were urged in e-mail to contribute to the cost of printing
      The Way to Happiness for distribution in the New York Post.

      "This donation will allow distribution of The Way to Happiness to the
      general populace - but we need to pay for and deliver the booklets to the
      Post! The cost of The Way to Happiness reprints to go into this special
      offer is $120,000. We have to supply the booklets for the newspaper and
      that requires tax deductible donations from you for this effort.

      "The Way to Happiness strengthens communities by making them safer, more
      secure and less violent by instilling in our society the values that are
      in The Way to Happiness booklet."

      "So far we collected around $1100.00 in Donations but we need around
      $10,000.00 to cover for around 500 assists booklet to hand out. We need
      Way to Happiness booklets as well to distribute to the population of New
      York. We need to get vans rented and Food and supplies for these ministers
      we are sending to bring with them for the wounded."

      Scientology responded to leaks from their e-mail lists by asking that no