    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 23, 2001

      > Faith-Based Groups

      The Houston Chronicle reported on July 20th that the U.S. House of
      Representatives passed a version of President Bush's plan to help fund
      religious charities.

      "House lawmakers on Thursday passed a scaled-back version of President
      Bush's faith-based legislative package, prevailing over Democratic alarms
      that the bill would legalize discrimination. Although the measure
      comfortably passed the Republican-controlled House by a vote of 233-198,
      it may need divine intervention in the Senate, where Democrats have shown
      little interest in pursuing Bush's program.

      "The bill would allow Cabinet secretaries to circumvent congressional
      approval for converting $47 billion in social service funds into vouchers
      for religious groups.

      "While a spate of religious organizations active in social services hailed
      passage of the bill, high-profile opponents include some of the nation's
      leading religious conservatives. Their concerns, voiced soon after Bush
      launched his plan, included the prospect of government interference in
      religion, and the likelihood that public dollars would go to
      non-mainstream groups such as the Church of Scientology.

      #####

      > China

      The Sydney Morning Herald reported on July 18th that China has organized
      an exhibit to display information about Falun Gong and other groups, such
      as Scientology.

      "Photographs of charred corpses, disemboweled bodies and a graphic image
      of a man who has apparently hung himself from a rafter are designed to
      shock. The exhibition which opened at Beijing's Military Museum at the
      weekend specifically targets the Falun Gong spiritualist movement. One of
      the first guests was the Vice-Premier, Mr Li Lanqing, fresh from presiding
      over Beijing's triumph in Moscow. Mr Li's responsibilities extend from
      sport, through culture to science - and cults.

      "The gruesome display has been mounted by departments at the heart of
      China's security apparatus: the Propaganda Office of the Central Committee
      of the Communist Party, the State Council Office for the Prevention and
      Handling of Cults, the Public Security Bureau and the Ministry of Justice.
      State-run media reported more than 10,000 visitors went to the show on the
      first day. 'It is not freely open to the public because we are worried
      that Falun Gong practitioners will come here and do bad things,' said Mr
      Zhao Chongxin, from the information office of the organising committee.

      "The Falun Gong is not the only cult targeted by the exhibition. Other
      displays include the Japanese Aum Shinriyko, the Texas Branch Davidians,
      the Korean-based Reunification Church (the Moonies), the Church of
      Scientology and the Jehovah's Witnesses."

      #####

      > Freewinds

      "Noumenon" reported on an event on the Freewinds featuring a video from
      David Miscavige.

      "I went to the second installment of the 'maiden voyage' event which
      features the head of the church, Miscavige. It was a video of an
      early-June public presentation given on the church's ocean-going vessel.
      This was billed as a 'must-see' event for all scientologists, promising to
      give information on the incredible breakthroughs for opening up the bridge
      to total freedom for everyone. The entire event was a presentation by
      Miscavige and no one else.

      "'With pre-OTs now enrolled on new OT 8, the next target is the release of
      new OT 9 and 10. So tonight I'm going to talk to you about technical
      application and recent actions that have been taken to cause a dramatic
      impact on speed up the bridge. The goal is no less than every
      Scientologist moving up to OT. And to comprehend the full significance of
      that, let's take this datum that comes from HCOPL 28 July 59, Our Goals;
      'You've heard it said everybody is a Scientologist, some just haven't
      cognited yet.' LRH.

      "We could have located and listed out every error, every auditor or solo
      auditor in the world and then addressed each of them one by one.
      Dramatically increasing the speed of progress up the bridge so it helps
      every Scientologist make it to OT. Let me give you the big picture on how
      we're dramatically speeding case progress up the bridge. 'DO THE GRADE
      CHART.'"

      Die Rheinpfalz reported on July 13th that Scientology has prepared an
      anti-drug campaign in Erfenbach, Germany.

      "'Say No to Drugs - say Yes to Life' - those are the words used to
      advertise for a 'free presentation' in Erfenbach. At first glance there is
      nothing on it which indicates that it is about a Scientology event.
      According to the leaflet, the presentation on Saturday afternoon is to
      explain 'what drugs do' and 'what it means to be physically and mentally
      free from drugs.' Afterwards 'about two hours for a special question and
      answer session on specific problems' is scheduled. Site of the event is
      the Kapellenhof Gasthaus in Erfenbach. Answering questions for discussion
      and taking registration is Inge Geib. 'Inge Geib is listed in the 1994
      Impact magazine as a patron,' we were notified by Christoph Bussen, the
      sect commissioner of Speyer Diocese. The title of 'Patron' is bestowed
      only upon those who have paid at least 40,000 dollars into Scientology's
      war chest.'

      "The Baden-Wuerttemberg Health Department has been warning people about
      the Say No to Drugs - Say Yes to Life' and Narconon for at least seven
      years. People are urgently warned from attempting to use Narconon to
      withdraw from drugs because the Narconon self-help initiative's
      'decontamination and habit-breaking program are based on Scientology's
      pseudo-scientific theories and techniques.' Caution is also advised when
      dealing with the 'Narconon' initiative, which, according to the health
      department, 'under the guise of social-humanitarian aspects has in mind,
      besides the dissemination of Scientology ideology, introducing
      drug-dependent people into 'Narconon.'"

      > Keith Henson

      LA Weekly published letters to the editor on July 20th in response to an
      article on Scientology's efforts to convict Keith Henson in California and
      their harassment of him in Canada.

      "Thanks for outlining the travails of Scientology critic Keith Henson. I
      am hoping that law enforcement and the legal system will wake up and begin
      to see and investigate Scientology's constant legal proceedings as
      criminal harassments by an organized-crime syndicate. Because that's
      exactly what they are.

      "Michael Reuss
      Fort Collins, Colorado

      "Thanks to Gale Holland for the piece on Scientology and Keith Henson. She
      covered material that can be a minefield for the uninitiated. Sadly,
      active Scientologists will be prohibited by their 'church' from reading
      this excellent article.

      "Chip Gallo
      Washington, D.C.

      "Gale Holland's piece ridicules the Church of Scientology for taking
      seriously a bomb threat made by Keith Henson. In the same article, Holland
      writes, 'Henson worked in the 1970s for an explosives company in Arizona,
      and arranged pyrotechnic parties in the desert similar to Burning Man.'
      This reader is mystified why anyone should not take such a threat very
      seriously. Is Holland brimming with Panglossian naivete, or is she just
      not being objective?

      "Jeff Farrow
      Tujunga

      "Keith Henson does not have to like Scientology, but he made violent
      threats, was convicted of a hate crime by a jury of his peers, then fled
      to Canada to escape punishment. He is a convicted criminal and fugitive
      from the law. Why are you defending him? Your credibility suffers.

      "Bill Zalin
      Los Angeles

      "Your recent article on Keith Henson really misses the point. A jury
      unanimously convicted him of interfering with a religion. His interference
      consisted of following Scientology religious workers, taking down their
      license numbers and stalking them at their homes. This is not the
      expression of opinion; it is harassment of individual Scientologists
      solely because of their faith. If the victims of Henson's obsession had
      been members of a Catholic or Jewish congregation, I'm sure that even the
      L.A. Weekly would not be so cavalier about the rights of the church
      members involved.

      'Pam Shannon
      Church of Scientology
      Los Angeles'"

      Keith was sentenced in California this week for the conviction on charges
      of interfering with a religion. Keith issued a press release on the
      sentence.

      "Yesterday in Riverside County before Judge Robert Wallerstein, Keith
      Henson received a sentence of a year in prison or 180 days in prison
      followed by three years of closely supervised probation with random
      unannounced searches at any time. The court also handed down a fine of
      $3000 and ordered Henson to pay for 'counseling' for the 'victims.'

      "Since a Scientologist would be expelled for taking any legitimate
      psychological counseling, this means that the court ordered Henson to pay
      for religious services for the 'victims.' James Harr, Henson's counsel,
      was refused to allow to speak on behalf of his client. Scientology lawyer
      Elliott Abelson, an old acquaintance of Wallerstein, gleefully thanked the
      judge on behalf of his clients. Henson remains in Canada with a pending
      application for refugee status and remains at large."

      #####

      > Narconon

      The Santa Fe New Mexican reported on July 13th that s Espanola, New Mexico
      city counselor has tried to reduce funding and staff for a Narconon
      program and other projects run by a municipal judge.

      "A longstanding feud between an Espanola city councilor and the municipal
      judge has resulted in the judge losing one of his key employees. The
      decision came during a special council meeting Wednesday when Councilor
      Chris Roybal tried - unsuccessfully - to convince fellow councilors to
      take away five of Municipal Judge Charles Maestas six employees. The
      employees include four court clerks, a teen-court coordinator and an
      outreach coordinator.

      "However, the council passed a motion to transfer one of the judge's
      employees, a $28,000-a-year outreach coordinator, from the court to the
      city jail, away from the judge's supervision. The outreach coordinator
      functions as a parole officer. The City Council approved moving a
      portable building behind the court in November for additional space to
      hold drug-treatment classes. Inmates Roxanne Romero, 20, and Julie
      Jaramillo, 33, said Tuesday that Narconon (drug-treatment) classes held in
      the building have improved their lives."

      #####

      > Switzerland

      Sda reported on July 13th that Scientology will still be prohibited from
      distributing literature on public property in Lausanne, Switzerland.

      "By prohibiting Scientology from distributing printed matter on public
      land, the City of Lausanne did not act unjustly. This was determined by
      the Waadtland Administrative Court in a decision published on Wednesday.
      In 1998, the city permitted distribution of material by the sect from city
      property only one day a week. In addition, Scientology is also allowed to
      set up a stand twice a month on St-Francois Place.

      "The Scientologists would not accept the court's decision, according to
      statements from a spokeswoman. She said they would file an appeal with the
      Federal Court, and as a last resort in the European Court for Human
      Rights."

      "Barb" reported a two-day protest at a comic convention in San Diego at
      which Scientology had rented exhibit space.

      "I packed up some Xenu fliers stuffed with half-page Scientology Hurts
      People inserts, printed out a new sign, WARNING! BRIDGE PUBLICATIONS IS
      $CIENTOLOGY, which had a fetching color portrait of Xenu. Ida's friend
      Richard came down with his two nephews a little after noon, and we took a
      cab to the Con. We proceeded to the entrance of the Convention Center and
      started handing out fliers. It wasn't long before security approached and
      requested that we move on to public property, and we cheerfully complied.
      We already had picked up two watchclams. They positioned themselves on
      either side at a distance of about 50 feet. Both of them watched us
      constantly and used their cell phones frequently.

      "People would approach and ask for a flier. Some stopped to chat, several
      thanked us for being there and informing people. Many of the folks we
      talked to already knew something about the cult, a few knew Bridge
      Publications was a tentacle of Scientology. Several people who took fliers
      intended to ask the folks in the Bridge Pubs booth about Xenu!

      "It only took us a couple of hours to dispose of all our fliers. The
      Bridge booth had huge banners advertising L. RON HUBBARD! BATTLEFIELD
      EARTH! and L. RON HUBBARD'S MISSION EARTH! I heard one of the inhabitants
      try to snag a passerby with the intriguing come-on, 'Hey, do you like
      science fiction?' but it appeared to me that people were staying away in
      droves."

      "Today I was joined by the evil SP David Rice in our quest to bring order
      to this quadrant of the universe. We were out front waiting for a cab, and
      a tannish-gray van cruised up and stopped in the middle of the
      intersection by my house. While I was watching this blatant stupidity, the
      driver took our picture and drove off!

      "We set up where we'd picketed yesterday. One of our first customers was
      Smiley, the guy who'd shadowed us yesterday. I can now confirm that it is
      the same guy who photographed us and David's truck at Gold Base, he dyed
      his hair and it's not an improvement!

      "One older gent told us he had worked with a Scientology spy in an IRS
      office! We received lots of thumbs up, many people turned down our fliers
      because they already knew that Scientology sucks! Many people approached
      us and asked for fliers, and we gave the curious the quick Scientology in
      a clamshell rundown. At one point a security guard came down to see what
      we were doing, but didn't give us any trouble. It seems that Smiley
      objected to our presence there and made his displeasure known.

      "I had packed up the few remaining fliers in my backpack and turned my
      sign around so they wouldn't think we were soliciting on Convention Center
      property. As we started onto Convention Center property, we were stopped
      by a security guard who said we could not walk through. David wasn't
      having any. 'Who says?' he asked the guard, who must have been all of 20
      years old if that. 'He does,' said the guard, pointing at Smiley. 'But
      that guy is an employee of Scientology!' I argued. 'He has no authority
      here!' He went over and spoke to Smiley. It seems the creep objected to
      our signs (reversed) our fliers (packed up) and our T-shirts (Scientology
      Kills!) This junior dork in training had been told by Smiley that we were
      criminals and should not be allowed on the property! A real security guard
      was called, and I pointed out that we were not soliciting, wished to pass
      through, had been protesting Scientology abuses, and moreover, the
      complainant was either hired by or in Scientology! 'You can pass,' she
      motioned us through."

      #####

      > John Travolta

      The Sunday Times published an article on Scientology celebrity John
      Travolta on July 22nd.

      "John Travolta and fame are like a man in a revolving door. No Hollywood
      star has been in and out so often - or so fast. He has known hot, and very
      hot: the man of the moment, who walks the walk and talks the talk. He has
      also been cold, dead in the water, far out on the freezing edges of what
      is hip, chic and wanted. But Travolta is the biggest gambler in Hollywood,
      using his own career as the stakes. He has never known any sort of
      stability. Just being there is not for him.

      "And there are no awkward moments with him. Ask what you like and he's
      back with an answer: Scientology, fatherhood, failure, being a good
      husband, Tom and Nicole, Bruce and Demi, money - loads of it - food and
      being a fatty. He gives it large. He's got a movie to plug. It comes on
      the back of a couple of stinkers, too: Lucky Numbers and the derisory
      Battlefield Earth, a science-fiction movie based on a story by his
      Scientology hero, L Ron Hubbard, in which his face was plastered with what
      looked like a plate of spaghetti.

      "'There are only three projects in my whole career that I actually trusted
      - Grease, Look Who's Talking and Phenomenon [1996]. The rest, I have
      always had to second-guess. I just go through my little dance with it and
      try and get some rewrites done.' There are those who say he should have
      either danced off into the horizon or rewritten the entire script for
      Battlefield Earth, but he remains bullish. 'I got it done against all the
      odds, and it's made close to $150m,' he says. 'Science fiction is
      notoriously criticised. I looked up the reaction to the classic film 2001,
      and at the time, The Washington Post f***ing creamed it. They said worse
      things about that movie than they did about mine. It must be the genre.'

      "The subject of Scientology, the religion he shares with his wife, is not
      high on the agenda for conversation. But his enthusiasm for his baby
      daughter, Ella Bleu, moves him to report that she was born in total
      silence, as befits all followers of this oddball religion. It believes
      that we are all spiritual souls, called 'thetans', burdened by nasty
      'engrams', which have a detrimental effect on our lives. 'When there is
      pain involved, words can have an adverse effect on the baby,' he says.
      'Those recordings [the words] act as engrams, and you are trying to
      eliminate what the words might mean. Jett, too, was born in silence.'

      "We move to the more earthly subject of Travolta's marriage to 38-year-old
      Preston, which has survived for 10 years. 'We are two people who
      communicate well and fix problems - not pretend to fix them,' he says.
      'And being single is not interesting to me. It is a lonely existence.
      Certain moments were wonderful, but they cannot beat the feeling of
      knowing I have someone to depend on and spend my life with.' Such
      pronouncements by Hollywood stars sound shakier than ever since the sudden
      collapse of the marriage of Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman. They, too, had
      been married for 10 years. They are also Scientologists. Travolta gives a
      shake of his head. 'I never hung out with them,' he says. 'So I had no
      preconceived ideas about their relationship or how strong it was. It had
      no effect on me. I thought: 'Oh, okay, they're getting divorced. Some
      people don't work out.'"