    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 8, 2001

      > ABLE

      A letter from the Deputy Executive Director of the Association for Better
      Living and Education (ABLE) was posted to a.r.s this week,

      "We currently have staff working full time on fundraising. This means
      getting ABLE known in the government and corporate fields and thus
      opening doors to new funding resources. We have hired a professional
      grant writer to assist us on this. As well, we are opening up a new
      office in Washington, D.C. to establish a stable dissemination point
      for ABLE right in the heart of the government.

      "It means more Narconon centers,
      more literacy centers, and more Way to Happiness groups, resulting in
      a total revolution in the fields of drugs, crime, literacy, and
      immorality!
      You can help us by getting your ABLE membership today!"

      The
      St. Petersburg Times reported on
      July 4th that Clearwater officials are considering ending the hire of off-duty
      police officers by Scientology.

      "'I think we have reached a point where it would be prudent for our removal
      of off-duty officers from (Watterson) Alley,' Klein wrote in an e-mail to
      Horne last week.
      Horne says that he is 'obviously receptive' to that idea, because he
      understands 'there is a sensitivity to the level of police presence, even
      if they're off duty' at Scientology facilities.

      "The Lisa McPherson Trust, a group critical of the church, has accused
      police officers of becoming biased as a result of their financial
      relationship with the church. The church has paid off-duty police officers
      more than $150,000 since January 2000 for providing security daily on
      Watterson, city records show.

      "Although there are no immediate plans to remove the officers, Horne said
      he supports the chief in trying to find other ways to keep the peace
      downtown.
      Church officials have talked with city officials about applying for grant
      funding to increase foot patrols downtown and eventually pulling back the
      off-duty officers, said church spokesman Ben Shaw.

      "In April, Mark Bunker of the Lisa McPherson Trust wrote that two officers
      laughed at concerns raised by trust members. He also said the officers
      were eating identical meals that appeared to have been provided by the
      church.
      Rob Surette, the Police Department's attorney, responded in May, saying
      one of the officers had been advised to maintain an impartial demeanor on
      the street. Meanwhile, Klein revised instructions to all officers doing
      off-duty work on Watterson.
      Among the revisions: Officers must allow people to walk on the sidewalk
      along Watterson as long they are not picketing, and officers must prepare
      reports for alleged violations of the court injunction -- whether or not
      they had seen the incident in question.
      The new instructions emphasized that officers are not to accept food or
      drink from the church.

      "Lisa McPherson Trust president Stacy Brooks said Tuesday that it would be
      a relief to trust members if the off-duty officers were pulled back from
      Watterson.
      'It's pretty intimidating to have armed police officers putting their
      hands to their guns as we walk down the street to our cars in the parking
      lot,' Brooks said."

      #####

      > Denmark

      Catarina Pamnell summarized an article in the Danish newspaper Dagbladet, published
      on July 6th, on a possible new location for Scientology.

      "A secret international church wants to start a giant building project
      in an almost undeveloped mountain area in the municipality of Tinn in
      Telemark.
      There are previously
      very few houses in the area, which borders to a large natural
      preserve.
      The plans presented by the church's negotiators say there will be
      investments for about half a billion kroner [$ 5.3 million]. All
      financed by the secret cult.

      "The local rumours in Tinn are that the American/International Church
      of Scientology is behind the plans and supplies the money. The
      negotiators for the investor has not verified this.
      The municipality sees it as essential to know who is behind the
      development plan. All we have learned so far is that it's an
      international church. Not even the land owners have been told who is
      behind it."

      #####

      > FSM

      Excerpts from the May, 2001 Flag FSM Newsletter were posted to a.r.s this week.

      "A special FSM Award Game has been launched for all FSMs who work
      with the Flag World Tour, starting one week prior to the Flag
      World Tour Event and extending three weeks after the Event.'
      For any FSM who selects a person to Flag for a major service on
      which the FSM receives a minimum commission of $500.00, that FSM
      will be awarded with 1/4 of one level of the SAINT HILL
      Special Briefing Course or equivalent in training awards.'

      "A special award of one night in a Flag Hotel Suite is awarded to
      any FSM who raises $5,000 (or multiples thereof) in any given
      week. This award will be made in addition to the regular FSM
      fundraising commission."

      "The Top Ten ASHO FSMs for 10 May -
      24 May, 2001':
      Frank Aggio $1,863.40;
      Steve Fabos $1,612.30;
      Alice Kartuzinski $1,421.75;
      Jim Frankel $1,251.14;
      Carol Woodruff $739.31;
      David Howsen $682.40;
      Tracey Andruscavage $682.40;
      Ty Dillar $663.14;
      Heidi Yanovich $454.96;
      Ofra Bahat $454.96.

      "FSM standings among
      Individuals, Groups, Missions, and Orgs:
      1. STERLING MANAGEMENT SOLUTIONS WUS 9,127;
      2. SINGER ENTERPRISES CW 4,701;
      3. FIELD ASSOCIATES WUS 4,334;
      4. HOWSON GROUP WUS 2,612;
      5. MACE-KINGSLEY CW 1,887."

      Scientology's Citizens Commission on Human Rights branch issued a press
      release on July 2nd describing a protest held in Berlin against Psychiatry.

      "Over 1,000 people marched through Berlin
      today in protest against the World Congress of Biological Psychiatry.
      Organized by the Citizens Commission on Human Rights (CCHR). The protest included people from France, Hungary, UK, Denmark, Sweden,
      Holland, Germany and America.

      "Marla Filidei, Vice President of CCHR International said, 'Psychiatry
      should be held accountable for its questionable diagnoses and the
      devastation left by its treatments. Psychiatrists create
      'diseases' - supposed 'chemical imbalances' for which no scientific proof
      exists - and drugs are developed to 'treat' them. Children are becoming
      legal drug addicts because of biological psychiatry's false theories.'

      "A truck carried child-like mannequins stuffed with psychiatric pills,
      illustrating the drugging of millions of children. Grim Reapers and
      gravediggers symbolized the tens of thousands of deaths while undergoing
      brutal psychiatric practices. Large photos showed the cemeteries of German
      psychiatric institutions. Protesters carried signs saying: 'Psychiatric
      drugs destroy the will to live,' 'Psychiatry Kills' and 'Psychiatry: Death
      instead of Help.'"

      Sueddeutsche Zeitung reported on July 2nd that a State Representative in
      Munich may no longer call for a boycott of advertising companies that do
      business with Scientology.

      "Joachim Haedke, State Representative and regional chairman of the Munich
      'Jungen Union,' on penalty of up to a 500,000 mark fine, may no longer
      call for the boycott of advertising companies that advertise for
      Scientology. The decision of the Munich I State Court's 30th civil chamber
      has now been released. Haedke is said to have
      threatened to publish the names of the firms which had not accepted his
      call to boycott Scientology's advertisement. In a press release he had
      already named the New Era Publications GmbH, which had done poster
      advertising for the book 'Scientology - the Fundamentals of Thought' by L.
      Ron Hubbard."

      From Sueddeutsche Zeitung on July 3rd:

      "Joachim Haedke, CSU State Assembly Representative and Chief of the Munich
      Junge Union (JU) wants to appeal a decision whereby he was prohibited from
      calling for a boycott against the businesses of the Scientology sect. 'It
      is a shame that a Bavarian court is being counterproductive this way in
      the fight against Scientology.
      It is unbelievable that a
      youth organization is no longer allowed to say that Scientology is
      dangerous,' Haedke criticized the court's decision. He posed the question
      of whether the judge 'would have decided in like manner if it had been
      about advertisement for Nazi propaganda.' He said the court 'had not been
      prepared to adequately deal with the topic.' Haedke announced that he
      would appeal. Provided, however, that the CSU had the money to continue
      with the proceedings.' So far the legal process has cost the Junge Union
      15,000 marks."

      #####

      > Entertainment Seminar

      A recent advertisement in the Hollywood Reporter announced a seminar
      for people interested in the entertainment industry to be held at Scientology's
      celebrity center in Los Angeles.

      "Making it in the Industry Seminar given by Manager/Producer Gay Ribisi
      and Casting Director
      Lisa London, C.S.A. with special guest actress Elizabeth Moss, who is
      currently a series regular on NBC's 'The West Wing.'
      The do's and don'ts of how to work;
      What casting directors are looking for;
      How to market yourself - How to Audition;
      How to increase chances of getting that part Bring picture and
      resume.
      Wednesday, July 18th, 7:30pm admission $11 includes booklet
      'Components of Understanding' by L Ron Hubbard at the Church of
      Scientology Celebrity Centre International 5930 Franklin Ave."

      #####

      > Criminon

      The Independent reported on July 1st that Criminon is under investigation
      by the Home Office in the U.K.

      "The Church of Scientology, once described by a judge as 'corrupt,
      sinister and dangerous' is under investigation by the Home Office
      for targeting drug-addicted prisoners.
      The Home Secretary, David Blunkett, is considering banning
      leaflets used by the sect to recruit inmates to its anti-drug
      programme.

      "Harry Fletcher, from the National Association of
      Probation Officers, said the circulation of Church of Scientology
      literature to prisoners and people on probation was 'extremely
      worrying'.
      The leaflets are being circulated by Criminon UK, the charity which
      runs the sect's drugs programme. It says it uses vitamins, minerals
      and saunas to sweat out toxins, thereby curing addicts. Criminon
      says it treats up to 200 prisoners a week."

      #####

      > The Profit

      Tampa television news on channel 28 this week broadcast a news story on
      a local screening of The Profit,
      a film which parodies Scientology.

      "Reporter Kelly Swoope: The story was written and directed
      by a man that's a former Scientologist. Now the names and dates
      and locations have been changed, but the storyline is familiar,
      and it actually leaves you wondering how much is fact, and how
      much is fiction.

      "In the movie The Profit, Leland Conrad Powers did
      make history, much like L. Ron Hubbard, the man who started the
      church of Scientology. In the movie, Scientology was never
      mentioned. It was Scientific Spiritualism and the story of
      Powers' life from 1945 to 1995.

      "Director Peter Alexander: I was in Scientology for 20 years.
      I found out the truth about it and when I did I
      thought, Oh man, you know, I gotta make up because I gave these
      guys a million bucks in 20 years as my donations so I have to
      make up for doing that, by telling the truth about how
      these cults take you over and what they do.

      "Former Scientologist Frank Oliver: I mean, obviously the guy was
      a con artist, he got ahold of little tidbits of information,
      something that he could use to control people.

      "Kelly Swoope: Officials with the church said 'This movie has
      nothing to do with us. They are telling lies that are nothing
      but publicity stunts to manufacture interest in a very bad
      movie.'

      "Peter Alexander: Everybody is subject to mind control, and this
      film shows you exactly what happens to those who are subject to
      it."

      #####

      > Russia

      On June 27th ITAR-TASS reported more details on the conviction of the Scientology
      leader in Khabarovsk in Eastern Russia.

      "Olga Ukhova, director of the regional
      Dianetics scientology centre, has been sentenced to six years
      imprisonment conditionally for illegal entrepreneurship and money
      laundering in particularly large amounts. Ukhova professes to be a
      follower of Ron Hubbard, the founder of the teaching of dianetics and
      scientology. It has
      been proved by investigators and during court session hearings that
      the scientology centre did not limit itself to 'enlightenment' but
      also impaired people morally, materially and physically."

      Pravoslavaya Gazeta reported on July 6th that Scientology has been denounced
      by the leader of Russian Islam, the Grand Mufti.

      "The Grand Mufti believes that the methods of the
      Scientologists are like those of the 'Vaxxobiti and
      other religious extremists that catch stray sheep.' 'All
      of them come from the same school: they zombify
      people and steal them away from reality,' reasoned
      Taglat Tajuddin.

      "He is delighted to hear that the Scientology sect was
      not able to get re-registered in Russia, and even
      promised 'to sacrifice a lamb to celebrate.'
      Besides that he reckons that that was more 'than just
      a matter of registration on paper, it would still be
      necessary not to give Scientology the option of
      developing in our country. It goes through the
      motions of a religion to play pranks across Russia.
      Let them idle away where they spring up, we have
      our spirituality and our good sense,' said Taglat Tajuddin."

      > Reed Slatkin

      The Los Angeles Times published an article on
      July 1st, warning investors against the advice of friends as financial advisors
      like Scientologist Reed Slatkin.

      "A retired Tarzana businessman said he handed over
      $6 million to Slatkin based on a friend's recommendation and a single
      meeting.
      'I just figured [the friend] is a brighter fella than I am, and he had
      money with Reed,' said the retiree, who recently had sold a successful
      construction-related business and who asked not to be named. 'That's kind
      of a dumb reason, isn't it?'
      Many of the investors were multimillionaires who met Slatkin through their
      equally rich friends - proving that the wealthy can be just as capable of
      being duped as those with less money at stake, experts said.

      "Gathering business cards at a neighborhood party or picking up names
      through the grapevine at work can be problematic if that's the end of the
      selection process, attorneys and regulators say.
      'We tell people to get referrals, but how good are the referrals?' asked
      Charles Rettig, a Beverly Hills attorney representing several of Slatkin's
      investors. 'Not very,' if the person making the recommendation hasn't
      checked out an advisor's background.

      "Slatkin started his investment management business in 1985 by accepting
      money from fellow members of the Church of Scientology. But many of his
      wealthiest clients came after his 1994 investment in EarthLink Inc., which
      went on to become one of the nation's three largest Internet service
      providers. He invested for Internet executives, socialites and Hollywood
      celebrities.
      Investors' attorneys say Slatkin got a foothold in each group, which led
      to more clients who simply took the word of their friends without doing
      any background checks. Bankruptcy officials say investor claims could
      reach $600 million.
      A phone call or two to regulators would have revealed to any of Slatkin's
      investors that the Santa Barbara man was not registered to invest other
      people's money, as required by law."

      The Santa Barbara News-Press published an article on Reed Slatkin and
      his history in Scientology on July 8th.

      "In 1985, Reed E. Slatkin and his wife, Mary Jo, were working as ministers
      for the Church of Scientology in Los Angeles when they realized that their
      growing family needed more money to live on.
      Mr. Slatkin turned to a successful member of the church, Robert Duggan, to
      teach him the ins and outs of trading stocks and securities.
      In the 10 years that followed, Mr. Slatkin, who co-founded the Internet
      provider EarthLink, made millions for himself and investors, all the while
      remaining active in the church as a minister and counselor.
      And then he lost it all.

      "Earlier this year, federal regulators charged Mr. Slatkin with defrauding
      hundreds of investors out of at least $230 million in an alleged Ponzi
      scheme, in which early investors are simply paid with money taken from
      more recent ones.

      "'I really don't know what happened,' said Santa Barbara businesswoman
      Gillian Christie, a member of the local Scientology church who met Mr.
      Slatkin through a mutual friend. 'Nobody really knows, because he's not
      allowed to talk. But I have this policy of saying that if you point a
      finger at someone, what you get is a sore finger. Reed is not responsible
      for me. I am responsible for me.
      The work (Mr. Slatkin) did over the last year allowed me to give money to
      many local charities, including the zoo and Civic Light Opera,' she said.
      'I know of others who did the same, and I know that (Mr. Slatkin) donated
      immense amounts. I would like to emphasize how much good came out of it.
      We don't consider ourselves victims.'

      "Ms. Christie, who runs a successful communications and public relations
      firm, said that her losses are nothing more than 'a blip on the horizon.'
      'I am not concerned about myself and my well being because I have the
      technology (through Scientology) to make it all better,' she said. 'I'm
      not slowed by this. I see that others need more help than I do, and that's
      where I want to put my attention.'

      "Longtime Scientology practitioners Keith and Judy Code of Glendale, who
      also gave large sums to Mr. Slatkin, seemed similarly unfazed by their
      losses.
      'A lot of people I know are not crushed by it,' Mr. Code said, referring
      to Scientologists who invested with Mr. Slatkin. His wife added: 'People
      in general tend to be pretty wacky on the subject of money, and people in
      Scientology seem not to be compelled to make a big drama out of it.'

      "'Ethics play a significant role in Scientology,' said the Rev. Lee
      Holzinger, who leads the 300-member Santa Barbara Church of Scientology,
      which meets at 524 State St. 'The thing is that Reed has not been a
      parishioner of our church, so questions about his involvement are not
      applicable here. It is of course very upsetting when an investment goes
      bad, but it's doubly bad when there seems to be a personal relationship,
      and I understand that.'

      "In depositions given to federal Securities and Exchange Commission
      investigators in January, Mr. Slatkin spent considerable time explaining
      his religious beliefs and how they have benefited him over the years. He
      told the investigators that he wanted them to understand the truth about
      his religion, which has been criticized over the years by some religious
      scholars and former Scientologists. Others defend Scientology's teachings
      and say that as a new religion, it has been unfairly maligned.

      "Mr. Slatkin told investigators that he was healed after his uncle used
      Scientology practices on his wound: 'And almost miraculously, within a
      couple of days I had full use of my hand again. And it was a big moment
      for me. And at that point I said, 'Well, I don't know how this works but
      it works for me,' so I decided that I was going to find out about this.'

      "Eventually Mr. Slatkin and his wife opened their own counseling center in
      their home. Between them, the couple never earned more than $45,000
      annually, which they accepted in the form of donations for their work. At
      the same time, they were spending some of their income on new and
      continuing church training programs to keep their ministry and counseling
      certificates current, Mr. Slatkin told investigators.

      "Then, in 1983, their second son was born. They agreed that they needed
      more money: 'And my wife and I were looking at each other and we said,
      well, we've been volunteering this stuff here for, you know, 20 years
      between us and it might be a good idea to see if, while we're doing all
      this volunteer work, that we have enough money to raise our family.'
      That's what led Mr. Slatkin to fellow Scientologist Mr. Duggan, a
      successful investor, to learn about investing, according to Mr. Slatkin's
      deposition.
      When he started making money, he brought church members and
      friends on board, promising returns of up to 60 percent, according to
      court documents.
      In 14 years, Mr. Slatkin made a fortune, and so apparently did his
      investors. And then he lost it all."

      #####

      > WISE

      The World Institute of Scientology Enterprises announced a festival on L. Ron
      Hubbard Way in Los Angeles and other scheduled events.

      "This starts Friday night with a vital technical briefing for ALL
      Scientologists by Chairman of the Board RTC. This event opens
      at 7:30 pm with a special performance by the Golden Era Musicians.
      (Friday, July 6th on LRH Way.)
      Then on Saturday night, July 7th at 8:00 pm, attend the LA premiere of
      the new LRH music album 'THE JOY OF CREATING.'
      This will be a live concert of songs written by Ron and performed by
      the Golden Era Musicians and top celebrity Scientologists.
      It's a perfect opportunity to introduce your
      friends and family to Scientology and will bring them way up tone
      scale!

      "Then the next weekend, beginning Friday, 13 July and throughout
      Saturday and Sunday 14 and 15 July is the 12th Annual WISE US
      Convention at the Burbank Airport Hilton!
      The next Maiden Voyage Anniversary Event is on the 14th of July at
      8:30 pm. At this event
      you'll find out about a major triumph for Scientology that involves
      LRH admin tech in a bigger way than ever before!
      You'll also hear landmark breakthroughs that will accelerate planetary
      clearing and make your own goals an actuality.

      "On Saturday the 21st of July at 7:15 pm we will have the IAS Event
      where you'll hear of some major victories against psychiatry!
      Additionally, you will experience an evening of special guest
      performers, and hear from IAS Freedom Medal winners.

      "Love,
      Don Drader
      President"