    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2001

      > Faith-based Groups

      The Los Angeles Times reported on June 26th that U.S. President Bush
      called on U.S. mayors to support his plan to fund religious charities.

      "Bush pledged that taxpayer money would finance needed social programs -
      and not religious indoctrination, as critics fear - and argued that his
      goal was to let faith-based organizations compete on equal footing with
      other providers of social services. 'We recognize that the funds will be
      spent on social services, not worship services,' Bush told the U.S.
      Conference of Mayors, which issued a proclamation in support of the

      "Yet key parts of the initiative, which has become one of Bush's paramount
      domestic goals, appear to be in jeopardy. On the right, conservative
      evangelicals fear new bureaucratic mandates on their programs and have
      expressed concerns that the White House plan also would include
      less-traditional religions, ranging from the Church of Scientology to the
      Nation of Islam. On the left, others have worried that it would erode the
      nation's barrier between church and state.

      "Further complicating the initiative's prospects in Congress is the
      Democrats' recent takeover of the Senate. The new Senate majority leader,
      Tom Daschle of South Dakota, while not highly visible on the faith issue,
      is believed to share many of the concerns voiced by others in his party."

      > Dating Advice

      An advertisement in the West Hollywood Independent News on June 27th
      announced a dating seminar sponsored by Scientology in Beverly Hills.

      "Come to 'WHO TO DATE. AND WHO TO DUMP' A Special seminar sponsored by
      the Church of Scientology of Beverly Hills, Tuesday July 3rd.

      "Attend this Seminar & Learn: How to spot the person behind the mask,
      before you get involved. What are the five tell-tale clues that reveal
      whether someone will make you CRAZY! How to quickly determine whether a
      person would be compatible with you for the long term. What to do if the
      person you're with is more negative than you.

      "Speaker: Steven List. Cost: $10.00. Excellent refreshments Served."

      > Juliette Lewis

      The Scotsman published an interview on June 23rd with Juliette Lewis, in
      which she described her history with Scientology drug programs.

      "Looking back on the drink and drug addiction of her early 20s, the
      actress sees it as a struggle for self-knowledge. 'For whatever reason, I
      felt so conflicted about myself. I had an incredible confidence about my
      talent on the one hand. But, on the other, I felt really insecure about
      who I was as a person and I really didn't know how to articulate myself.'

      "Events reached crisis point during the filming of Evening Star, the
      sequel to the Oscar-winning hit Terms of Endearment, when she teamed up
      with Shirley MacLaine. It was then that Juliette decided to clean herself
      up. She went through a detox programme run by the Church of Scientology at
      Clearwater, Florida. She came out feeling a much better person, but very
      aware that her career might be over. 'I knew that the danger in walking
      away was that I could lose it all, but I thought it was the perfect time
      to do it. I believed that my talent wasn't going to go away. I thought it
      could only grow if I invested in the things that are important in my life
      and I could always come back to films. And, yeah, I knew that I might not
      be where I was when I left off - but they never threw parts at me,

      > In Memoriam

      The Chicago Tribune published an obituary of Scientologist Greg Bashaw on
      June 28th. Bashaw recently committed suicide in Michigan.

      "In memory of a trained journalist, disciplined and hardworking, an
      honored writer of substance and creativity and imagination, loved by
      family and friends, respected by contemporaries, who in the prime of his
      life, because of his needs and naivete trusted wrongly an entity that
      crushed his sweet and sharing spirit. He found his journey through life
      too painful to continue and was blind and deaf to all of those who loved
      him. May God bless you Greg, and may God bless us all. Your Dad, Robert S.
      Bashaw and your good friend Vicky."

      > Bob Minton

      Bob Minton reported this week that Scientology is pressuring his parole
      officer to register his guns.

      "The Scientology organization tried to have the Salvation Army come after
      my Constitutional rights to gun ownership. Salvation Army Correctional
      Services spoke to me yesterday and told me that if I did not register all
      of my guns by the end of the day yesterday, she would have a warrant
      issued for my arrest. I informed her that in New Hampshire, my state of
      residence, there is no such thing as 'registering' guns unless one is
      talking about a 'license to carry a concealed weapon.'

      "On the very first day of my probation, I notified the Salvation Army
      about my gun ownership. I was told by Donna Muniz, Probation Officer, that
      there was no problem since Penick's withheld adjudication had nothing to
      do with firearms. Now, four and a half months later, Scientology is trying
      to have my guns confiscated. Yesterday the Salvation Army Correctional
      Services informed me that they now wish to charge me with a probation
      violation because I own guns, despite their prior waiver of the probation
      requirement in this respect. The woman I spoke to admitted that
      Scientology has pressured them on this point. I told her they were welcome
      to charge me with a probation violation and have an arrest warrant issued.
      I told her I would be more than happy to return to Florida for arrest and
      appear before any Pinellas County Judge they could dredge up."

      > Narconon

      The Oklahoman reported on July 1st that Narconon is moving its Oklahoma
      facility from Newkirk to a new location near Canadian, OK.

      "Narconon is closing its Newkirk branch in favor of combining the entire
      treatment site at Arrowhead Lodge near Canadian in Pittsburg County. The
      center is expected to open in the next couple of months. The Narconon
      Chilocco New Life Center began accepting patients in 1990 under the
      premise that it didn't need state certification, since the site near
      Newkirk was on tribal land.

      "Residents heard stories that the center would have 1,000 beds and that
      the treatment used was one developed by L. Ron Hubbard, founder of the
      Church of Scientology. Some residents helped the few clients who wandered
      into Newkirk wanting to leave Narconon. There were stories about what some
      thought was an unorthodox treatment using vitamins and saunas. Things have
      quieted since then in the Kay County community of 2,200 people. The fear
      that the drug treatment center would become a recruiting machine for
      Scientology seems to be gone. Although Narconon uses Hubbard's techniques
      and received donations from the church, it isn't and never was intended to
      be a recruiting tool for the church, said Gary Smith, executive director.
      'Here it's 11 years later, and we're still Narconon,' he said.

      "Narconon has had 2,029 clients since it opened the Chilocco site. Of
      those, 199 Indians have gone through a special program at no cost, Smith
      said. Non-Indian clients pay a flat fee of $17,000 to $20,000 for a stay
      of three months to a year. Last year, 352 students enrolled and 185
      completed the program, Smith said. Thus far this year, 350 entered and 189
      have graduated. In the last study of clients who completed the program two
      years ago, 70 to 74 percent were still off drugs, Smith said.

      "The Association for Better Living and Education bought the Arrowhead
      Lodge for Narconon last summer. Residents of nearby Canadian and Arrowhead
      Estates, a housing addition less than a mile away, circulated petitions
      against the drug treatment facility. Mike Hall, who said he had 250 names
      on a petition against Narconon, said he doesn't believe Arrowhead is the
      proper place for the drug treatment center. 'I don't feel that it's good
      for our development. I don't feel it's good for the state,' he said.

      "But Narconon also submitted a petition and gathered 437 signatures of
      support to submit to the health department. A recent petition in favor of
      Narconon had 2,000 signatures, Smith said. The organization received a
      certificate last summer authorizing it to have 75 beds at the lodge, but
      Smith said he is working to increase that to 230. Canadian Mayor Danny
      Arterberry said some residents were concerned or curious in the beginning,
      but Narconon officials have proven they will benefit the community. 'They
      try to get involved in the community as much as they can,' he said.
      'They kind of put (suspicions) at ease. They're just like the rest (of

      > Russia

      Thomas Gandow reported that the head of Narconon in Russia has denounced
      Scientology and left the organization.

      "Vladimir Ivanov - the leader of Russian 'Narkonon,' the president of
      scientological 'Foundation of Salvation of Children and Adolescents from
      Drugs' and the foundation 'Drug-Free Russia,' while speaking live on
      popular radio Ekho Moskvy, unexpectedly announced that he had broken with
      the Scientology organization. Mr. Ivanov spoke about Scientology as a
      criminal cult which has nothing to do with religion and which capitalizes
      cynically upon the sufferings and pain of other people. Ivanov said that
      he is no longer 'Satanist' and had asked forgiveness from those numerous
      people whom he recruited into Scientology. He had announced that from now
      on none of the organizations he heads, has anything to do either to
      Scientology, or to 'Narconon.' At the same time, Mr. Ivanov had expressed
      an idea that technology used in Narconon can be used effectively outside
      of Scientology and Narconon itself. "

      From an open letter by Vladimir Ivanov:

      "Having thoroughly studied the theory and practice of Scientologists in
      Russia and abroad for the past ten years, I have come to realize that the
      certain practicality of the so-called technology is in full and complete
      contradiction with the purely commercial aspirations, hidden from the
      outsider's view, and has nothing in common (except for declarations) with
      the spiritual-religious goals. The so-called Church of Scientology flouts
      human rights and the rights of religious people in general by imposing a
      ban on a profession, by denying a person the right to defend his interests
      in the court of law, and by enslaving him with work for the benefit of its
      mercantile interests."

      Agence France Presse reported on June 27th that a Scientology leader in
      Khabarovsk has been convicted of money laundering.

      "A court in Russia's far eastern city of Khabarovsk Wednesday handed a
      local Scientology leader a six year suspended sentence for money
      laundering and setting up an illegal business. In the course of a
      year-long investigation launched against Olga Ukhova, prosecutors also
      accused the Dianetics center of inflicting psychological, physical and
      financial harm to its adherents, court officials said. Since 1998, Russian
      prosecutors have sought to prove that its activities were illegal, but
      Moscow courts have twice dismissed cases against the church."

      > Reed Slatkin

      The Wall Street Journal reported on June 27 that the FBI expanded its
      investigation into Scientologist Reed Slatkin to include another
      Scientologist who may be involved in the Ponzi scheme.

      "In a widening probe into the money-management activities of EarthLink
      Inc. co-founder Reed Slatkin, the Federal Bureau of Investigation said it
      searched the home of Ronald Rakow, a neighbor of Mr. Slatkin. Federal
      agents spent eight hours Monday in the Santa Barbara, Calif., home of Mr.
      Rakow, a onetime road manager of the Grateful Dead who presented himself
      to some investors as a business colleague of Mr. Slatkin. Among the items
      sought were business and financial records for at least 10 entities
      operated by Mr. Slatkin or Mr. Rakow 'for the purported purpose of
      investing money for others since 1986 using Slatkin investor funds.'"

      From the Santa Barbara News-Press on June 28th:

      "According to an attachment filed with the search warrant, agents sought
      business and financial records for at least 10 corporations and
      partnerships operated by the two men and using funds raised by Mr.
      Slatkin, 'for the purported purpose of investing money for others since

      "A News-Press review of court records found approximately 75 creditors who
      live in Santa Barbara County. As investigators try to find the money, they
      say it will be at least six months before any recovered funds can be
      returned to creditors. Mr. Slatkin and his wife, Mary Jo Slatkin, are
      ordained ministers in the Church of Scientology. Records show that Mr.
      Rakow is also a Scientologist.

      "Records show that when Mr. Slatkin began his investment club in 1987, he
      collected money from fellow Scientologists, making promises of high
      profits, then added other investors over the years. Investigators allege
      that he engaged in a Ponzi scheme, paying off earlier investors with money
      obtained from new ones."

      > Sweden

      Catarina Pamnell translated portions of a June 17th Swedish radio show
      "Klarsprak" on Narconon.

      "The speaker is Mats Fridell, Associate Professor at the University of
      Lund, Department of Psychology, Division of Clinical Psychology.

      "'The methods that Narconon uses to treat substance abusers are
      unscientific and lack effect on the actual addiction. They could possibly
      affect e.g. group cohesion in the [treatment] community. This conclusion
      is also the conclusion of Socialstyrelsen. Also, detoxification carried
      out in that manner may be dangerous when detoxing from certain types of
      substances. One cannot have one single treatment routine for all types of
      addiction, at least not without some risk.

      "One criticism that could be levelled at Narconon is that they use
      low-qualified staff, who to a great extent are charity workers and who are
      not educated in treatment work. It is natural that there exists drug
      addicts who have been helped by Narconon, there are those who will find
      help, support and a sense of belonging from this type of treatment, but
      the Narconon method is not a treatment method.

      "The only Swedish study of Narconon that I have been able to find, an
      evaluation of Narconon by Peter Gerdman, shows that 77 percent left the
      treatment at a relatively early stage. Out of those who completed the
      treatment, 21 percent out of the original group could be followed up, and
      out of those 31 percent show improvement. But calculated on the entire
      group who entered the treatment, which is how one has to do it when
      calculating results, only 7 percent had gotten rehabilitated out of the
      total group. Based on this evaluation, Narconon scores lower than any
      other functioning environmental therapy treatment, both as to treatment
      reports, results and evaluation over time."

      > Switzerland

      The State Attorney in Basel, Switzerland dismissed a complaint from
      Scientologist Housie Knecht against Susanne Haller for alleged religious

      "The complainant brought forward that based on Susanne Haller Sidler's
      intervention in the OK of the World Children's Festival, he was
      discriminated against in connection with his art operation because of his
      membership in Scientology.

      "The criminal action of the sort has to have been directed at a member of
      a race, an ethnicity or a religion. Religion in this definition is the
      reverential relationship of people to God. The members of the religion
      have to think of themselves as a group and must be considered as such by
      the rest of the population. One of the characteristics of Scientology is
      that it does not present a congruent dogma about the existence of God to
      its individual members. The association makes it clear in its
      presentation of itself that it is not concerned about the creation of a
      new religion, that is, a new understanding of people's transcendence, but
      about the essence of people in the center, whose simple restoration is in
      no way connected with a belief in God.

      Auditing, used by Scientology for the attainment of its goal of putting
      civilization on a higher level, shows that it is propagated on a
      psychological and not on a religious place following the reformation of
      its members' lives. In view of the generally well-known aggressive
      recruitment attempts by Scientologists, including against passersby on
      public land as well as against mentally handicapped and those who are not
      well off, with the primary goal of selling them books authored by the
      founder of Scientology or to motivate people to buy very expensive
      auditing-courses, the question is posed of whether the organization
      actually is dealing with the attainment of its stated higher goals or
      whether, under the mask of religion, it is pursuing purely commercial

      "Altogether Scientology can be regarded as an untrustworthy, destructive
      cult with the significance of, at most, a quasi-religion. This is,
      according to its own self-presentation, characteristic of the new belief
      in the proclaimed, charismatic founder L. Ron Hubbard (not in God in the
      tradition manner), the authoritarian leadership and control of the
      categorized members (not the free religious activity of a confessional
      denomination) and the pervasive claim to have and teach the only true
      determination for humankind (not the admission of the remaining mistakes
      and imperfection of human nature). In that this organization fulfills
      neither the criteria of religiosity nor that of a liberal core content
      which a religious group would have to in order to invoke this standard of

      > John Travolta

      The South China Morning Post reported on June 27th that Scientology
      celebrity John Travolta has been offered $700,000 to appear before a group
      of movie fans who think Battlefield Earth is the worst movie ever made.

      "The film, which lost millions of dollars, was a tribute to Travolta's
      controversial idol Ron L Hubbard, the science-fiction author who wrote the
      book on which the movie is based and who also established the star's
      religion, the Church of Scientology. Travolta has been offered US$700,000
      to appear at a convention celebrating the disastrous film. Movie fans, who
      worship Battlefield Earth for being the worst picture ever made, will see
      a director's cut and enjoy a science-fiction ball at a convention in

      "Andrea Henry, a spokeswoman for Battlefield Earth Clan, a group that
      adores the movie because of its atrociousness, said: 'We really would love
      John to come over for this. We've spoken to John's manager and we're
      awaiting a response. I know the movie had bad press, but it really has
      become a cult piece of cinema in a few people's eyes.' The offer of such a
      huge appearance fee has been made by a millionaire member of the clan."

      The July 10th issue of Globe magazine reports that John Travolta has been
      refused in his offer to help Robert Downey, Jr. with his drug addiction

      "A devout Scientologist, Travolta is convinced that his church's
      'purification' program could wipe Downey clean of his addictions. 'I
      reached out to Robert a couple of times,' reveals the 47-year-old star of
      the new movie Swordfish. 'I have a very specific way of helping a person
      off drugs. There are vitamin programs, detoxification and sweat programs
      that a person goes on - Scientology calls it a purification program.
      There's a wonderful organization called Narconon that helps.'

      "But some critics of the Scientologists' vitamin-and-sweat 'purification
      program' claim the unorthodox treatment regime does little to end the
      terrible craving addicts suffer during withdrawal, and may be a waste of

      "The actor is currently in a six-month drug rehab program at a California
      residential treatment center while awaiting sentencing on cocaine
      possession charges. He was busted shortly after being released from
      prison, where he spent nearly a year for a prior violation related to
      drugs. When he spoke with the 36-year-old actor's rep, Downey's response
      was, 'No thanks.'"

      > WISE

      Members of the World Institute of Scientology Enterprises (WISE) were
      urged in a recent letter to help with the renovation of the new Hubbard
      College of Administration in Los Angeles.

      "The Hubbard College of Administration Network is devoted to the
      dissemination of LRH admin tech into society. The establishment of their
      new headquarters is our launching pad for a sane civilization based on
      Standard Administration. Through this membership drive WISE members are
      making the tech available to all and bringing into existence the first L.
      Ron Hubbard University.

      "The new Hubbard College building will be able to train over 10,000
      students a year, the design of the facility itself communicates the tech
      of Standard Administration. A government official, CEO, administrator or a
      high school graduate will be able to see the basic fundamentals of LRH
      admin tech at work simply by walking through these new beautiful spaces.
      For the duration of this membership drive a major portion of WISE
      membership fees are being channeled into creating this model facility.

      "The front exterior of the building is completed - with new bay windows
      and brick facade which follow the motif of the building. The rear exterior
      2nd floor public deck/patio is 65% complete. The interior wall framing and
      drywall is underway and will be completed this week! The architectural
      eave detailing is now in place. The building renovations are on schedule
      to be completed by mid July.

      "Much Love,
      Carol and Amy
      Mem Reg Off WISE Int