    Message 1 of 1 , May 13, 2001

      > Volcano

      The Sydney Morning Herald reported on May 9th that Scientology has
      disavowed responsibility for a burnt Dianetics ad in Sydney, Australia.

      "It's probably the ugliest thing in central Sydney and even a fire did
      little to improve it. The 33-metre wide, 10-metre high volcano advertising
      screen stuck on the front of the Metro Theatre on George Street has been
      in its burnt state now for nine months and still hasn't been repaired or,
      better still, pulled down.

      "The screen spent most of its time spruiking the Dianetics book by
      Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard, so The Church of Scientology Inc
      seemed a good place to start asking questions. 'It has nothing to do with
      us,' said Scientology's Linda Fitzpatrick. 'This is one of the big
      misconceptions. It was set up by an independent company which sold some of
      the screen time to the publisher of books by L. Ron. Hubbard. I thought
      the Metro was going to pull it down.'

      "'It has nothing to do with us,' said Claude Neon's general manager Ray
      Humphrey. 'We don't own it in any respect. We were the manufacturer for a
      third party [Woodbridge Associates Pty Ltd] but they took ownership in
      about 1998 and we walked away with empty pockets.' So what about
      Woodbridge? It seems Woodbridge has nothing to do with it either since The
      Australian Securities and Investments Commission lists it as being 'under
      external administration and/or controller appointed'.

      "As long ago as November 1996, Lord Mayor Frank Sartor offered to pull the
      volcano down. So is the Sartor offer still open? Spokesman Graham Cassidy
      told Spike the latest negotiations had confirmed it would come down in
      August-September 'at the expense of Edgley's which holds the master lease
      on the site with the City of Sydney'."

      #####

      > Beck

      The Scientology affiliation of musician Beck continues to bring questions.
      From the Philadelphia Inquirer on May 8th:

      "Two members of Beck's band have reportedly walked away from the group,
      complaining that the alterno singer's ties with Scientology are too much
      for them to take. The musicians said Beck was drawn to the controversial
      religion by his father, David Campbell, who has been a Scientologist for a
      decade, and the band's bass player Justin Meldal-Johnson. Hey, if John
      Travolta and Tom Cruise take the gig, they can rename the show
      Scientolopalooza!"

      From the New York Post on May 7th: 7.5.2001

      "Although he still publicly denies he is a Scientologist, Beck's closeness
      to the church has cost him a few band members. Two band members, Joey
      Waronker and Smokey Hormel, quit just before his summer tour, because
      friends say, 'They were alienated after Beck became a Scientologist.' Beck
      was drawn into the religion by his father, David Campbell - a
      Scientologist for the past 10 years - and his bass player, Justin
      Meldal-Johnson."

      #####

      > Faith-Based Groups

      The Associated Press reported on May 6th that lawmakers are still debating
      the funding of religious charities.

      "Sending taxpayer dollars to the neighborhood church or synagogue sounds
      like a great idea to many Americans. But what about government money for
      the Nation of Islam, Scientologists, Hare Krishnas or Wiccans? The
      question is asked repeatedly in the debate over President Bush's plan to
      open federal programs to religious groups. Both sides agree there can be
      only one answer: Yes, all religions are eligible to apply for government
      contracts because to bar certain faiths from competing would amount to an
      unconstitutional government establishment of religion.

      "The Rev. Pat Robertson caused a stir when he expressed concern about
      giving money to groups like the Church of Scientology, Hare Krishnas and
      the Unification Church. A recent poll found that seven in 10 Americans
      believe 'charitable religious organizations' should be eligible for
      government funds. But support dropped when people were asked about
      non-mainstream religions. Asked if Muslim mosques or Buddhist temples
      should be eligible for money, only 38 percent said yes. For the Nation of
      Islam, it was 29 percent; for the Church of Scientology, 26 percent.

      "These objections are enough to convince Marvin Olasky, an early Bush
      adviser on the matter, to drop the idea of government money for religious
      groups. Instead, he would like to give Americans tax credits for
      contributing to the charities of their choice."

      #####

      > CCHR

      The St. Petersburg Times reported on May 9th that a Scientology-backed
      bill in Florida to require parental permission to dispense
      non-prescription drugs to school children has failed.

      "After years of reworking, a bill sponsored by state Rep. Larry Crow,
      R-Palm Harbor, at the behest of an anti-psychiatry group established by
      the Church of Scientology has once again fallen short of becoming law.
      The bill would have required schools to get parents' written permission to
      give non-prescription medicine to school children and would have allowed
      parents to opt their children out of some medical treatments. The bill
      never got a House-wide vote.

      "The bill has been championed by the Florida chapter of the Citizens
      Commission on Human Rights, which approached Crow seven years ago and
      urged him to take up its cause against psychoactive drugs such as Ritalin.
      The international organization, established and run by Scientologists,
      denounces the 'labeling' of youth as mentally ill and warns that the
      over-prescription of psychoactive drugs does more harm than good.

      "Crow has said he doesn't agree with much of Scientology's philosophy and
      does not oppose psychiatry. But he said he was convinced psychoactive
      drugs are over-prescribed. In 1999, he penned a bill that would have
      required a detailed parental consent form for children taking psychoactive
      drugs at school. The bill died a quick death after strong opposition from
      drug companies, school boards, teachers, psychiatrists and psychologists.

      "Rosa Sollecito, Florida executive director for the Commission on Human
      Rights, traveled to Tallahassee to make a final push. 'We were hopeful to
      the end,' said the group's Florida president, David Figueroa. 'There was
      no opposition."

      #####

      > Cisco

      The Register reported on May 11th that network hardware manufacturer Cisco
      has used training methods based on the work of L. Ron Hubbard.

      "A senior Cisco official has lent her name to an article which praises
      training methods based on the teachings of Scientology founder L Ron
      Hubbard. In a publication called Government Technology Cisco's training
      manager for Worldwide Manufacturing, Peg Maddocks, enthusiastically backs
      Hubbardist training methods.

      "Maddocks is fulsome in her praise of the '100 per cent Proficiency
      Training' program she received from Californian firm Effective Training
      Solutions. The article makes clear this Web-based self-learning package is
      'based on research conducted by best-selling American author L. Ron
      Hubbard in the 1960s and published as a lecture series covering 'study
      technology''.

      "The article was published in 1998, but raises a number of questions: what
      is 100 per cent Proficiency Training and how is it related to the
      principles of Scientology? We tried to contact Cisco's Maddocks who's now
      Cisco's manager of Internet Learning Solutions - without success. We also
      tried to speak to Effective Training Solutions, which is run by
      Scientologist Ingrid Gudenas, to ask whether it still did work for Cisco."

      Mark Bunker spoke out at a recent town meeting about a new downtown
      development plan for Clearwater.

      "I attended the first of four meetings in Clearwater about the new
      downtown development proposal. There were about sixty people in
      attendance. More than half of them were city officials from the mayor to
      city council members to people from various development offices. Also in
      attendance were Scientologists Pat Jones and Mary Story and a handful of
      public Scientologists, leaving perhaps a dozen or so unbiased civilians.

      "I kept pondering as I watched the presentation. Where would people park?
      Last year, they had discussed specific places where parking would be
      added. This year they didn't. I told them that I worked downtown and the
      parking structure next to our building has a waiting list for people to
      buy monthly passes. As long as I had the handheld wireless mic in my
      possession I followed up with another parking question. I asked if the
      city was going ahead with their proposed partnership with Scientology in
      constructing a parking structure next to the Super Power building?

      "I added that I was troubled by the quote Bill Horne gave to the St. Pete
      Times where he said the joint venture was a good idea and 'it's time to
      forget the past.' 'To forget the past is never a good idea,' I said.
      'Especially when it comes to Scientology. But let's not talk about the
      past. Let's talk about the present. Right now, Scientology's president,
      Heber Jentzsch, is a fugitive from justice in Spain. France this past week
      passed a landmark law on 'Mental Manipulation' largely to help the victims
      of Scientology, and in Germany, Scientology is still considered a
      dangerous paramilitary organization.'

      "One man behind me shouted 'German laws have nothing to do with
      Clearwater. Take the mic away from him!' Bill Horne leapt to his feet and
      went over to the man conducting the presentation and put his arm around
      the man's shoulder. 'Let me give you a hug. This is not about politics. We
      can't get anywhere fighting with one another. We all have to work together
      to make this work,' Horne said.

      "After the meeting I went up to Bill Horne and shook his hand and told him
      I was largely in favor of the plan but they needed to seriously consider
      issues like parking and traffic. He said that quote was taken out of
      context 'as newspaper reporters do.' He then said that they can't worry
      about what happened 30 years ago."

      #####

      > France

      Cult apologist website Censur reported on May 3rd that the French Senate
      has approved a law against mental manipulation by cults.

      "Although a couple of Senators have voiced objections, the text has
      received some further amendments making him even stricter. It is now
      enough that a cult has been found guilty once (as opposed to 'repeatedly',
      as per the previous text) of a serious crime in order for it to be banned.
      The amendments also provide for heavier jail terms and fines, and for the
      possibility of placing a cult under the authority of a trustee. The
      possibility for the cities to forbid cultic activity within a 200-meter
      radius from a public building has disappeared. The government stated that
      by eliminating a specific crime of mind control, the Senate has taken into
      account the objections formulated by several quarters."

      #####

      > Human Rights

      Le Monde Diplomatique published an article on May 11th on the relationship
      between the U.S. and Europe on the issue of cults and Scientology.

      "In 1996, France passed a series of laws for stronger protection of
      psychically dependent people. The administration under Minister President
      Lionel Jospin set up an Interministerial Mission to Combat Cult Presence
      (MILS) under the leadership of Alain Vivien. In Germany a number of
      measures were taken, mainly against the Scientology Organization. In
      connection with a report of the Federal-States work group on Scientology,
      the Office for the Protection of the Constitution explicitly warned the
      federal government and the people about this cult. Bavaria even decided on
      a 15-point list of measures which included monitoring contact with
      Scientology by civil service applicants. In view of these stepped-up
      procedures in Europe, all observers of the scene reckoned on a
      counter-offensive from the cult-multi[national]s, who in France alone
      possess an estimated fortune of several hundred million franks.

      "On January 27, 1997 the administration in Washington solemnly condemned
      Germany's measures against the Scientology organization. Several days
      later the U.S. State Department published its 'Bureau for Democracy, Human
      Rights and Labor' (BDHRL) annual report on the world human rights
      situation. In it Germany was vigorously attacked and put on the list of
      countries which abused human rights, right behind China. The report was
      timed so as to support the Scientology Organization's publicity campaign,
      which included organizing demonstrations in various countries, putting
      protest advertisements into the international press and calling upon the
      EU Human Rights Commission. In order to 'calm tempers,' the U.S. State
      Department issued a statement in March 1997 which said, 'We did criticize
      the Germans, but we do not support the Scientology campaign against
      Germany.' This statement was the least that could have been expected from
      the U.S. administration.

      "The annual report, published September 9, 1999 by the U.S. Office for
      International Religious Freedom, attacked the European countries more
      vehemently than ever before. On December 8, Hubert Vedrine, the French
      Foreign Minister, wrote to his American colleague Madeleine Albright, 'The
      act of your government baselessly making an issue out of the methods of
      operation of French government agencies while high officials of your and
      my administrations have dialogue in process throws a shadow on the very
      promising outcome of those discussions.' The last U.S. State Department
      report, published March 2 of this year, indeed took into account the
      French laws of 1901 and 1905, silently clearing away their past mistakes,
      but again made accusations as caustic as any before.

      "The influence of the Moon cult has also grown remarkably. Since just
      recently Democrat Hillary Clinton's sneering comments have been permitted
      to appear weekly in the conservative and widely-distributed Washington
      Times, which belongs to the Moon cult. To all appearances the Moon cult
      and the Scientology Organization have been making arrangements together
      for a long time. Their joint operation in eastern Europe is documented by
      an exchange of letters between the managements of the Moon cult and the
      Scientology Organization. This partnership has also more or less
      officially included other cults, and Moon and Scientology have also found
      support for some time in the fundamentalist Protestants in the USA. For
      instance several ultra-conservative senators and the U.S. State Department
      have warmly received a number of Moon greats as well as guru Sri Chinmoy
      of a cult by the same name.

      "What the cults intend to gain in this battle is obvious. If they succeed
      in getting their foot inside the door of European education, when they
      gain the right to operate their own schools, as they have in the United
      States, without any state control, then they will have assured themselves
      of a stable and comprehensive base of recruitment. These institutions
      would then be directly involved in the coining of the culture and the
      psychology of the individual."

      #####

      > Freewinds

      A promotion for an event on Scientology's ship, the Freewinds, was posted
      to a.r.s this week.

      "THE FREEWINDS TECH OF ETHICS CONVENTION! 7-14 June, 2001.

      "Gain a full conceptual understanding of and ability to apply ethics tech
      with 100 percent proficiency to standard results through this week-long
      series of seminars delivered only aboard the Freewinds.

      "Learn to spot trouble sources a mile away and how to rapidly and smoothly
      curtail the havoc these individuals can wreak on your business as well as
      your personal lines. Learn all about the vampire personality, exactly what
      it is, how they affect lives and businesses, how to know him or her and
      exactly what to do once you have spotted one. Gain OT Hatting data that
      will prove invaluable in your ability to help and apply ethics to others
      in your life and in your business. Learn what it is that you're doing
      which puts you in the effort band and how to handle this and expand like
      never before.

      "Avail yourself of the all-inclusive Freewinds Convention Package and pay
      only $2,150."

      Sueddeutsche Zeitung reported on May 5th on the Scientology festival in
      Munich, Germany.

      "The opening spectacle with Hollywood actress Anne Archer and a small
      opening demonstration over Sonnenstrasse cause a little stir on Friday in
      the Glockenbach quarter. The focus of the traveling show which is touring
      all through Europe this year is supposed to be the fight against drugs
      according to Scientology concepts. One look at the oversized exhibits on
      the walls showed, however, that the focus was mainly on the activities of
      the 'Church of Scientology International' and the life if its founder L.
      Ron Hubbard. It was said that 12,000 visitors visited the show in
      Stuttgart. Scientology Munich, which says it has about 6,000 members,
      wants to surpass this number.

      "About 150 of them went to the opening yesterday. To the sound of the
      'Jive Aces', which were accompanying the campaign through Europe, they
      danced on Reichenbachplatz and gave an enthusiastic welcome to actress
      Anne Archer.

      "During the ceremony a small group of protesters formed on the other side
      of the street, including singer Petra Perle. Her little picket sign said,
      'Caution, chic in-sect!' Sparking much more attention was her acoustic
      protest: Perle joined in with each frenetic storm of applause by bleating
      like a sheep. She said she did that because 'I don't want them in my
      quarter, nobody here wants them.'"

      From Sueddeutsche Zeitung on May 11th:

      "A cheerful scene on Reichenbach Square in front of No. 1 Buttermelcher
      Street: three gentlemen dressed in suits give out roses to the ladies and
      blue balloons to the children. They cheerfully wish the passersby a a
      wonderful day. The young mother, stopped with her child's wagon and having
      words with a carefully groomed lady in a dark outfit, does not give the
      impression that she is in an affable mood. 'I don't want you stopping the
      children to talk to them and pushing balloons on them! I knew this was
      going to happen.' The woman thus addressed, it turns out to be Sabine
      Weber, the Vice President of Scientology Church Germany, is completely
      understanding, 'I'll see to it that it does not happen again,' she
      promises.

      "The business people on Reichenbach Square are not amused over the
      commotion which is going on outside their front doors. They initiated a
      counter-demonstration with the district committee which will occur today
      at 2 p.m. on Reichenbach Square. Herta Rauch, who has been here with her
      alteration and tailor shop for 27 years, gave everyone a flyer to let them
      know when the counter-demonstration started. Johanna Wallner-Wiener of the
      'Cafe Wiener' on Reichenbach Square told about the experience she had with
      Scientology. 'We were photographed by them through the window,' she says.
      Josef Sattler, business manager and proprietor of the 'Deutsche Eiche'
      restaurant on Reichenbach Street, would not have made such a big deal of
      it. 'Things are blowing out of proportion and turning into a big PR stunt
      for Scientology!'"

      > Lawrence Wollersheim

      Judge Robert Hess issued an order on May 4th in the case of Lawrence
      Wollersheim, who is fighting to collect a judgment against Scientology
      even after the organization bankrupted a key corporation to stop him from
      collecting. While no decision has yet been reached, here are some
      highlights of the order:

      "The Court is persuaded that, at that time, whether as a continuation of
      the 'fair game' policy previously practiced against plaintiff, or as a
      necessary adjunct to strategies being employed in connection with other
      matters, the details of the true relationships of persons and individuals
      under the Scientology umbrella would not have been disclosed to plaintiff.
      Various Individuals and entities associated with Scientology engaged in a
      calculated program of deception as to these subjects for their own
      purposes.

      "Scientology entities-including not only CSC, but also RTC and CSI, almost
      continuously were maintaining one or more separate suits against
      Wollersheim. This separate litigation has been characterized not only by
      the use of deep pockets to pursue virtually every possible appeal, but
      also-until the Colorado case-by its almost unbroken lack of success on the
      merits. Under these circumstances, the Court concludes that the necessary
      diversion of Wollersheim's attention, resources and effort caused by these
      countersuits constitute valid and persuasive reasons for such delay as has
      actually occurred.

      "Respondents contend that plaintiff's alter ego analysis will necessarily
      involve a constitutionally prohibited intrusion by the Court into the
      doctrine, internal administration and governance of Scientology's
      ecclesiastical hierarchy. Plaintiff's motion argues that Sea Org members,
      including Mr. Miscavige, while having no formal corporate positions in the
      pertinent organizations, and while not exercising ecclesiastical functions
      by virtue of a specific hierarchical position, have in fact controlled and
      directed the activities of CSC, CSI and/or RTC as it relates to the
      litigation involving plaintiff. Plaintiff apparently further argues that
      the conduct of the litigation involving him is a secular function, rather
      than a religious function. Plaintiff urges that, under all the
      circumstances, adherence to the fiction of separateness would sanction a
      fraud or injustice.

      "These arguments, if proven, suggests that the corporate formalities have
      been disregarded and that there was at pertinent times an effective unity
      of control and direction, which might support the imposition of alter ago
      liability. This particular issue is susceptible to examination and
      analysis using neutral legal principles, without impermissibly involving
      the court in issues of religious practice or belief, faith, doctrine, or
      ecclesiastical administration. The First Amendment offers no bar to a
      properly structured evaluation of this question."

      #####

      > Caroline Letkeman

      An affidavit was posted by Caroline Letkeman, describing her health
      problems while she was a Scientologist in Los Angeles.

      "On or about May 12, 1997 I suddenly became acutely ill due to poisoning
      by way of a contaminated herbal product. For at least a year prior to the
      onset of my illness, I had been purchasing this herbal cleansing product
      from Peter Gillam's Health Food Store in Los Angeles, CA. Peter Gillam's
      Health Food store is located within a block or so of Scientology's Complex
      on L. Ron Hubbard Way. It is a store that is managed and patronized by
      Scientologists who live in the vicinity, as well as by those who take
      Scientology services at the Complex. The contamination occurred in a
      specific batch of the herbal formula.

      "During the initial month of my illness, I sought medical attention two
      times from Dr. Gene Denk at the Shaw Health Center. Dr. Denk is a
      Scientologist, and was L. Ron Hubbard's personal physician at the time of
      Hubbard's death. On both office visits, my vital signs were recorded and
      after being examined by Dr. Denk, he prescribed and administered expensive
      IV drips of vitamins to assist in recovery from the flu.

      "For my third and final visit to Shaw Health Center during the initial
      month of my illness I saw Dr. Megan Shields. After taking my vital signs
      and examining me, Dr. Shields recommended that I seek immediate emergency
      room treatment at Oliveview Hospital. She told me that she thought that I
      had Addison's disease, which I understand to be a very serious and
      medically incurable adrenal condition.

      "I also saw Dr. Alf Garbutt on several occasions during the initial month
      of illness, prior to being hospitalized. Dr. Garbutt is a chiropractor and
      nutritional counselor. He is also a Scientologist. Dr. Garbutt had me
      bring in all my supplements in order to adjust my supplement intake to
      help with my illness. Dr. Garbutt tested my supplements and provided me
      with a list of supplements he tested to be beneficial for my current
      condition. He provided me with a written list of recommended supplements
      that I should continue to take. The list included the exact product that
      was later found to be causing the illness.

      "I went to the emergency room at Oliveview Hospital on the same afternoon
      that I saw Dr. Shields at the Shaw Health Center. The emergency room tests
      revealed that I had a lethal level of digitalis in my system. Digitalis is
      a strong heart medicine, made from an herb called foxglove. Approximately
      six months following this hospitalization, I learned that the digitalis in
      my system came from the herbal product that I had been taking, and that
      the herbal product was heavily contaminated with foxglove.

      "At one point some Scientologists visited me in ICU. One Scientologist
      lived in the same house where I resided. Another Scientologist was the
      daughter of my closest friend. I asked them to close the curtains around
      me, and I confided to them about my fear over the hospital staff. What I
      told my visitors appeared to alarm them greatly over my mental state. One
      of my visitors jumped up on my bed and shook me, screaming that I needed
      to decide to live and 'get into present time.' I had not given her any
      indication that I was trying to die-my communication was simply that I was
      afraid of the hospital staff and that I thought they were putting drugs in
      my food.

      "My FSM, who was also an insurance adjuster and knew how to evaluate
      insurance claims, knew that the case would eventually result in a
      settlement. There had been a little discussion here and there about using
      this future settlement as collateral for a loan, to pay for immediate Flag
      auditing. However, I made it very clear that I was not going to
      participate in any such scheme. As we talked, I began to cry. At this
      point, he convinced me to give him my credit card to go to the Ship for
      some individualized services called an 'OT Debug.' In normal
      circumstances, if a person asks for a refund from Scientology, they are
      never again allowed to have Scientology services. The reg assured me that
      if the Case Supervisor at the Ship did not give me security clearance, my
      cards would be re-credited. On that basis I agreed to pay for the 'OT
      Debug.'

      "Shortly before I was to go to the Ship, I called the reg and he told me
      that the Ship case supervisor denied my security clearance. He told me
      that I would be required to pay for a security check, and he suggested
      that rather than re-credit my card, that I simply transfer that money to
      AOLA (Advanced Organization of Los Angeles) and start paying for a much
      more expensive security check. I flatly refused and demanded that he
      immediately re-credit my card. About five minutes after I hung up, I
      received a call from a reg at AOLA, at which time he tried to convince me
      to pay for a security check at AOLA. I refused to transfer any money, and
      I continued to insist that the Ship reg re-credit my card as he had
      promised. He finally told me he had done so. When I got my next credit
      card statement, I saw that there was an outstanding charge that I had
      neither approved nor been aware of at any time prior to that. It was a
      charge of $264.00. I called the Ship reg and he explained to me that this
      was something he charged on my card as a prepayment for accommodations
      while on the Ship. The reg explained that the accommodations money was not
      put into the same holding fund, and that it could not be refunded. I was
      outraged and I told him that he needed to re-credit it anyway, as I had
      not authorized this charge.

      "While in the course of trying to resolve this credit card crime, I broke
      Scientology's 'critical blackout' rule, and began to look at critical
      information about Scientology on the Internet. I learned of Dr. Denk's
      involvement at the time of L. Ron Hubbard's death and that the
      circumstances surrounding Hubbard's death were very suspicious. I
      concluded that if I were to speak out about my experience with Shaw Health
      Center and Dr. Denk, Scientology might retaliate in effort to shield Dr.
      Denk from public inquiry.

      "I anonymously submitted a critical essay that won a prize and was posted
      on the Internet. Scientology's Office of Special Affairs spent about six
      weeks trying to identify the author of that essay, and when they did, they
      did not contact me. They simply publicly announced my identity on the
      Internet and furnished my daughter with slanderous and libelous
      information about me."

      Bruce Pettycrew protested this week in Mesa, Arizona on may 6th.

      "Kathy and I picketed the Mesa site from 11:45 to 12:15 today, overlapping
      the end of the sunday service. There were 11 cars in the lot. As the
      service ended and the parishioners came out, an estimate of about 15
      people. One of the people who came out was a young woman who come over to
      talk to us and brought a notebook. She said that she was a religions major
      and was doing a paper. She asked us why we were picketing, so we covered
      the usual horror stories about the cult and gave her leaflets on Xenu and
      Lisa M. She was very glad to get this extra material for her research.

      "An older couple came out later and the woman asked us if we 'were into
      drugs and psychiatry'. The look of malice on her face was classic."

      Rich Ahrens and "Raptavio" reported a protest this week in Minneapolis.

      "Saturday was a windy, grey and drizzly day, but we did two and a quarter
      hours at the MSP org. Handed out nearly 200 Xenu leaflets to interested
      passersby. It was surprising how much support the public offered, and how
      many already knew about the cult.

      "After a half hour or so they got it together enough for 'Helen' to come
      out and photograph us. Another unnamed woman also came out to shoot photos
      later. The most interesting interaction, though, was when one of them
      assaulted Raptavio! This short dweeb walked up within a couple feet, said
      'Here's something you should read - you guys need to get jobs,' and then
      threw a rolled-up employment newspaper in Rap's face with a loud thwack.
      He then ran into the org. We called the police after Rap was unable to do
      a citizen's arrest. An officer showed up and went into the org with Rap to
      identify the culprit. He IDed everyone involved and wrote up an assault
      report.

      "We arrived at the Org, located on Nicollet Avenue between 10th and 11th
      streets in downtown Minneapolis, at 12:55 pm. Rich carried the picket
      sign, marked 'SCIENTOLOGY KILLS' In memory of Lisa McPherson, Stacey
      Meyer, and others' on one side, and 'SCIENTOLOGY LIES' with the famous
      judge's quote about Scientology's and LRH's bizarre combination of
      paranoia and schizophrenia written on it. This latter quote proved to
      cause many a passerby to stop and read. The fliers that I was handing out
      were the standard Xenu flier available on www.xenu.net, containing that
      site's web address.

      "Up comes the little bald guy in the yellow sweatshirt. 'Here, I got
      something for you guys. Get a job!' he sniveled, as he threw a rolled-up
      newspaper at me from about ten feet away. Taken by surprise, the rag
      bounced off my nose. 'Excuse me, Sir, hold it. You're under arrest,' I
      said, trying to effect a citizen's arrest. I dialed the police. I informed
      them that I wished to report an assault outside the Scientology org, and
      they said they'd send one over.

      "The officer listens to my story, and takes a description of the suspect
      before walking into the org. A few moments later he comes out again and
      invites me in to 'identify the suspect'. I saw Sir Pasty sitting at a
      table with a few other people. It seemed to be some kind of seminar, and
      indeed I heard the word used describing the situation. I indicated Sir
      Pasty to the officer, who then approached the man, asking for his
      identification. Helen was up close to me, and I said, 'I'm sorry, we just
      wanted to picket peacefully, but one of your parishioners chose to assault
      me.' Both Helen and the lady who took the flier earlier denied to the
      police officer that they had seen Sir Pasty before that day. I had to
      chuckle. 'They'll deny knowing you now, that's how the game is played.'
      Helen starts telling me, 'No, no.' and raises her hand up as if she's
      going to try covering my mouth, but that would have been the height of
      foolhardy with a policeman standing next to me.

      "Well, the officer took down my and Rich's identification and promised to
      send the incident to the city prosecutor's. He gave me a card with a case
      number. After that we resolved to stay long enough to hand out the rest
      of the fliers - which we did. We stayed until about 3:25, and handed out
      every last one. At about 3:00 Sir Pasty hurried out of the Org, and I
      waved after him and said 'See you in court!'"

      "Barb" protested in downtown Hemet, California on May 6th.

      "We decided to stake out a busy intersection in downtown Hemet. Hundreds
      of people drove by and read my sign, 'Scientology, the 'church' with a
      Body Count-www.xenu.net.' One guy stopped, told me he was a cab driver who
      picked up a couple at Gold who wanted to leave. His cab was chased. He
      also gave someone a ride out to Happy Valley and got inside the gate, but
      wasn't allowed to linger once he discharged his passenger. I gave him a
      Xenu flier that had an insert provided by Keith, 'Scientology Hurts
      People.'"

      Keith Henson protested in Hemet, Los Angeles and Palo Alto.

      "I picketed at the court and gave out another thick stack of flyers. Most
      of the people who didn't take them said they knew and had an extremely bad
      opinion of Scientology.

      "Off to Big Blue. I reached BB about 11:30. I made one pass down LRH way
      which had about 4-5 people in view, including a security guard on a
      bicycle. Toward the south end of LRH way, two guys saw me coming and
      turned around. The security guard seemed willing to talk, so I asked him
      if he knew about Reed Slatkin. I filled him in that news reports said
      Slatkin - a Scientologist - had taken about a hundred scientologists for
      $250 million in a Ponzi scheme. The guard then made the oddest response,
      that they were proud of Slatkin.

      "I drove over to Hollywood between the OSA building on Hollywood and Ivar
      and FOLO several blocks to the west. I walked north to Hollywood, and west
      to FOLA. I gave away a remarkable number of flyers. The demand was so high
      that I just offered them without comment. People took them, and as usual
      several wanted to talk. I pointed them to the web site URLs on the flyers.
      By the time I reached FOLA I had gone through most of the flyers I had
      with me. FOLA got a few minutes of picket on the corner. I could see a
      staffer desperately talking into a phone or radio.

      "I crossed Hollywood and walked back to the OSA building on the north
      side. When I reached Ivar, I crossed back to the south side of Hollywood
      and put in a few minutes picketing in the shade across from OSA. There was
      a cop in uniform standing in the door of the OSA building, so I guess they
      are copying the practice in Clearwater of hiring cops. I picketed the
      front of the Celeb Center, my fourth org of the day. It was 12:45. I gave
      CC about a 10 minute picket on the west side. Someone is shooting a movie
      in the CC. There was a security person out watching a generator parked
      near the west entrance. He was being worked over by a female scn who was
      making a try at getting him in with a WIS or some similar sort of glossy.
      I stopped and let him read both sides of my sign, 'Scientology: cult of
      blackmail, bribery and fraud' and the other side, 'Scientology, ChurchÂ’
      with a body count.' He nodded. I yelled, 'Don't let them suck you in, it
      is worse than dope.' She gave up."

      "Last night I went with Arel and we put in 20 minutes at the Palo Alto
      Org. A guy was nearly asleep in the window and when he looked up and saw a
      picket sign he jumped like he had been stuck with a pin. Per the standard
      response, all they did was take photos of us. I gave out all the flyers I
      had and we talked to 3 guys who walked by. One of them had a friend who
      had been in for 7 years and another friend who is still in. The one who is
      still in is broke all the time in spite of a high paying job."

      Boudewijn van Ingen reported a protest in Amsterdam this week.

      "While Gerry was assembling his wonderful portable multi-language picket
      sign, the other SP's arrived. We managed to drum up seven people, who all
      arrived punctually at 16:00 hours. And the Org did not close their door.
      It was my first look at the new Org. It is situated a bit better than the
      old one, though on the same street. The glass door was open, and behind
      it there is a sort of counter, like in a hotel. An elderly gentleman was
      on post there. Beyond him, at the end of the hall there was a small table,
      where three people sat when I looked first.

      "Spreading folders is easy, in this new location. Of course in these
      parts, you have to state clearly and loudly that you're AGAINST
      Scientology. Otherwise people will turn their heads and walk on past you
      in a hurry, disgusted with the word 'Scientology' alone.

      "I noticed a Scientologist with a fire-hose in the doorway of the Org. And
      I noticed that most of the SP's had moved away from the entrance of the
      Org. The pavement there was all wet. As it turned out, the Scientologists
      had made an attempt to 'clean-up' their sidewalk. They had no brooms and
      no soap."

      Bodo Staron reported a protest in Munich on May 12th.

      "There were two pickets today because of a 'Narconon' show in Munich.
      The people that live there are really pissed about the cults show, so they
      picket at least once a day or so. The Scientologists used some tactic get
      people in the show: Free tickets, roses with 'Scientology' pieces of paper
      on them. The Scientologists run the street back and forth, also with
      balloons. There were five policemen watching, two from the special unit
      taking care of Scientology. The 'Jive Aces' played, I think they have
      more time now. Since every club in Munich knows about the Scientology
      connection no one is willing to book them.

      "The lady on my left side said 'The young man near you is starring at us.'
      I leaned over and said 'Hello' in a normal way. He came closer and said
      'Do you have a problem?' I answered 'No I don't have a problem.' This went
      on for about three or four times, the guy coming closer every time. I
      asked then 'Are you a Scientologist?' in a normal voice, and the guy
      slapped me in the face two times. As a reflex I slapped him back, he
      didn't expected it I think and was perplex for a short time. Sabine Weber
      (OSA Germany) came later and asked again about the incident, I explained
      also about the wrong behaviour of the young man, and I think she was a
      little bit surprised that I was kind to her."

      John Ritson reported a protest this week in Brighton, England.

      "Over a dozen UK suppressives managed to congregate outside the Brighton
      'org' and were reinforced by the one and only Gerry Armstrong. The
      Scientologists were conspicuous by their 'non-confront.' One Sea-Orger
      appeared, took a few pictures and disappeared again. The 'org' is on the
      third floor. We used our boom-box and the usual chant about Scientology
      being a barmy UFO cult. We handed out lots of leaflets. May is the time
      for the annual Brighton Festival, so the proceedings were enlivened by
      stilt-walkers, road-punters and people pretending to be genetically
      modified pigs and chickens. We entered into the spirit of things by
      handing out helium balloons marked 'Xemu Loves You.' Somebody tied two of
      them to the Scientologists' 'Now Hiring' sign."

      #####

      > Poland

      Agence France Presse reported on May 7th that a report has been issued on
      the dangers of cults in Poland.

      "The Polish Committee of Defense against Sects (OKOS) worked on its report
      during five years, using expertises on the Parliament and ministry for the
      Polish Interior, those of the European Parliament, as well as testimonies
      of victims, specified with the press the president of OKOS, Mr. Ryszard
      Nowak. Heading 'the children in the sects,' the report affirms that
      certain religious communities attract new followers by using the procedure
      of adoption. The children are exploited there as a free labour and even
      constrained to the prostitution, according to OKOS.

      "The Committee warns against fourteen sects, several of them
      international, like that of the 'Christians,' active in Warsaw, Wroclaw
      and Gdansk, which would be delivered 'to the abduction of children.' On
      this list are also the Church of Scientology, qualified by the report as
      'religious Mafia,' and that of the 'Supreme Truth,' which would subject
      the children to a washing of the brain and a Draconian discipline."

      #####

      > The Profit

      French newspaper Le Figaro published an article on the new film The
      Profit, produced by former Scientologist Peter Alexander.

      "The picture is a fiction showing the life of 'L. Conrad Powers,' founder
      of a cult. 'It shows how this man came, through satanism study, to create
      the Church of Scientific Spiritualism, explains the film director. He
      explains as well the effects of hypnosis allowing the mind control of
      members to the one and only aim of profit.

      "Peter Alexander says he entered the Scientology church because his second
      wife asked him. 'I was on top of the hierarchy. In twenty years, I've
      spent there more than one million dollars,' he said. Until 1998, the date
      where he decided to cut his links with the system. 'I had understood that
      the money given was used only to sue those who wanted to disclose the
      truth.' Peter Alexander may no longer see his children. 'Every contact
      with me has been formally forbidden to them.'

      "The director says the Church of Scientology has done everything to
      inhibit the 'The Profit' shooting. 'It accuses that we have made a hate
      and propaganda film. During all the shooting, it followed the production's
      members till their homes so as to obtain, through intimidation and under
      threats, some information about 'The Profit.'

      'The story is just beginning, says Peter Alexander. Nobody could better
      count the secrets of a cult. We know we'll be sued for the remaining of
      our lives. But 'The Profit' can save the life of someone. Even if our life
      has been destroyed, it shall have been useful.'"

      #####

      > Reed Slatkin

      The Los Angeles Times reported on May 11th that the fraud case against
      Scientologist Reed Slatkin has reached $600 million.

      "Slatkin took in hundreds of millions of dollars from a nationwide network
      of investors, which included Internet moguls, fellow Scientologists,
      venture capitalists, Santa Barbara socialites and Hollywood producers.
      Slatkin has less than $21 million in various brokerage accounts, most of
      it invested in EarthLink stock, Pachulski said. About $100 million in
      investors' funds was funneled by Slatkin into limited partnerships and
      real estate deals, but attorneys said they don't know how much those
      investments are worth now.

      "U.S. Trustee Brian Fittipaldi said no one is sure how much money was
      invested with Slatkin, but claims could range as high as $600 million.
      Some attorneys say they believe the amounts could be higher. 'It's a very
      serious, staggering amount of money that's at stake,' said Richard Wynne,
      an attorney for the creditors' committee of investors. 'And I don't
      believe personally we're going to find [the money] stashed overseas.'

      "Some investors, in fact, got out more money than they put in, Slatkin's
      attorneys said. The attorneys have identified one group of investors who
      received $120 million more than they invested. Another group of investors
      contributed $240 million more than they got out, the attorneys said."

      The Los Angeles Times reported on May 12th that the FBI and IRS raided
      Slatkin's offices and froze his accounts.

      "Federal regulators pounced on EarthLink co-founder Reed E. Slatkin on
      Friday, raiding his offices and persuading a federal judge to freeze his
      bank and brokerage accounts to prevent Slatkin from hiding investors'
      money or destroying documents. The actions turn what had been a civil
      matter - with investors accusing Slatkin of running a 16-year Ponzi scheme
      - into a criminal investigation.

      "At 8 a.m., agents from the FBI and Internal Revenue Service began hauling
      boxes of documents from the converted garage of Slatkin's former home in
      the Santa Barbara suburb of Goleta, which since the early 1990s has housed
      his stock-trading and money management businesses. Regulators also took
      documents from the Santa Fe, N.M., office of Slatkin's bookkeeper.

      "At the same time, the Securities and Exchange Commission asked a U.S.
      district judge for the Central District of California to freeze Slatkin's
      assets, claiming that he had been operating a fraudulent investment scheme
      since 1986. The request was granted. The SEC complaint alleges that
      Slatkin, 52, lied to investigators, concealed investor accounts and set up
      partnerships and businesses that would allow him to transfer assets
      secretly.

      "The SEC complaint claims that Slatkin accepted a total of at least $320
      million from more than 500 investors across the country, including
      Internet moguls, Hollywood executives, Santa Barbara socialites and fellow
      members of the Church of Scientology, of which Slatkin is an ordained
      minister. The SEC filing also included Hollywood names among Slatkin's
      investors, including husband-and-wife actors Giovanni Ribisi and Mariah
      O'Brien-Ribisi. Giovanni Ribisi played a conflicted broker in the
      investment-scam movie 'Boiler Room.' Also on the list are Art Linson, who
      produced the 1998 remake of 'Great Expectations,' and actor Jeffrey
      Tambor, who played the mayor of Whoville in 'Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch
      Stole Christmas.' Attorney John Coale, a noted tobacco lawsuit litigator,
      also was an investor, according to the SEC document."

      #####

      > Spain

      El Mundo reported on April 29th that the trial of Scientologists in Madrid
      has been postponed until June 6th.

      "The Section Fourth of the Provincial Hearing of Madrid decided yesterday
      to postpone until the 6th of June the beginning of the judgment of the
      Church of Scientology. The court has acceded to the request of delay
      formulated by the parties, and to which the Fiscal Ministry was not
      against, with the purpose of regularizing situations with property before
      beginning the arguments.

      "The Office of the public prosecutor of Madrid asks for in this case a
      sentence of 56 years of prison for reverend Heber Jentzsch, the world-wide
      leader of the Church of Scientology, and a total of 36 years of jail for
      other 16 followers. The trial, that was begun by a court of Madrid more
      ago than 16 years, and whose beginning has been suspended several times,
      will have almost 150 witnesses.

      "The public ministry considers the defendant responsible for crimes of
      illicit association, against the public property, of violation of privacy,
      of injuries against the public health, of threats, of usurpation of
      functions, simulation of crime, labor crimes, false denunciation and
      illegal halting."