    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 4, 2001

      > Faith-Based Groups

      U.S. President Bush's plan to fund religious groups who do charitable work
      continues to raise questions regarding possible payments to Scientology
      and other cults. From the Boston Globe on February 28th:

      "Jewish groups are expressing strong reservations about President Bush's
      plan to give ministries more access to federal funds for social services,
      and they are warning the White House that their support depends on its
      fortifying the wall between church and state. 'If this turns out to be a
      program where there is direct government funding of churches and
      synagogues and mosques to run social services with religious content, it
      will be almost universally opposed by all the national Jewish
      organizations,' Rabbi David Saperstein, director of the Religious Action
      Center of Reform Judaism, said in an interview yesterday.

      "Last week, the Rev. Pat Robertson, founder of the conservative Christian
      Coalition, put the White House on notice that his group had serious
      problems with the faith-based initiative if it meant the federal
      government would provide funds to groups such as the Hare Krishnas and
      Church of Scientology. John DiIulio, director of the White House office
      of Faith-Based and Community Initiatives, said yesterday that he welcomes
      the 'differences of opinion' as his staff begins what is expected to be a
      monthslong task of putting shape to Bush's call to aid America's 'armies
      of compassion.'"

      From the Toledo Blade on February 28th:

      "This President has operated, refusing to discuss questions, as he did
      Helen Thomas', and by dissing them by calling them publicly by goofy
      nicknames he's made up. Ms. Thomas asked about his turning over welfare
      and social service secular tax money to programs run by 'faith-based'
      groups. The idea at first resonated through the land, but now even
      professional Christian and Bush-backer Pat Robertson is leery.

      "Like many Americans he likely has a hard time imagining his tax dollars
      going, say, for day care at a church of Christian snake handlers who give
      lessons; or paying for after-school programs at a Church of Scientology
      facility, or even with Unitarian-Universalists or Atheists, whose kids,
      thanks to cranky fuds like themselves, are banned from Boy Scouts. The
      government will decide which religions are worthy? Ms. Thomas has told
      Blade ombudsman Jack Lessenberry that Mr. Bush is the least qualified
      president she has seen since she began covering the White House in 1943."

      The Washington Post reported on March 2nd that former Vice-Presidential
      candidate Joe Lieberman will support payments to cults.

      "Sen. Joseph I. Lieberman yesterday signaled that he is more receptive
      than many Democratic colleagues to a number of conservative proposals to
      expand government grants significantly to social services programs run by
      religious institutions. The former vice presidential nominee, according
      to his staff, is considering co-sponsoring legislation with Sen. Rick
      Santorum that would authorize this expansion.

      "Lieberman said such groups as the Nation of Islam and the Unification
      Church should be eligible for grants to provide social services, including
      child mentoring, drug treatment and family crisis centers as long as these
      services are kept separate from church activities. 'It would probably be
      problematic on First Amendment grounds to discriminate against faith-based
      groups for their particular beliefs,' he said. Such groups, he said,
      'should be judged based on what they do.'

      From the Associated Press on March 2nd:

      "President Bush's pointman for directing more federal money to religious
      charities says the effort probably will wind up in court, even as he tries
      to convince Americans that concerns over mixing church and state are
      overstated. 'Americans sue each other. They sue and sue and sue,' John
      DiIulio said in an interview. 'I guess it's going to happen.'

      "Yes, he says, churches and synagogues should be allowed to continue
      discriminating in their hiring, even if they get government money. And
      yes, he says, religions outside the mainstream - the Church of
      Scientology, the Nation of Islam, the Unification Church - would be
      allowed to compete for government contracts just like any other.

      "The vast majority of organizations that stand to benefit, he says, don't
      discriminate or push their religion on anyone. He likes to think of his
      office helping a community-based program that's denied government money
      because it stores lumber in a church parking lot."

      From the Los Angeles Times on March 2nd:

      "As President Bush develops his proposal to make federal dollars more
      easily available to religion-based social service programs, many religious
      leaders and others already working in the field remain skeptical. Perhaps
      the highest-profile religious leader to criticize the Bush plan is Pat
      Robertson, head of the Christian Coalition, who recently raised questions
      on his television talk show, 'The 700 Club.' Bush's promise to make
      federal money available to all religious groups, including the Church of
      Scientology and the Hare Krishnas, concerns Robertson. He referred on his
      show to the 'brainwashing techniques,' and 'underhanded tactics' the
      groups have been accused of in the past. Representatives from those groups
      denied such charges.

      "The matter of who qualifies for grants is proving to be delicate. The
      Jewish Anti-Defamation League recently urged Bush not to give federal
      funds to the Nation of Islam, whose leader, Louis Farrakhan, has made
      anti-Semitic remarks. That sort of request could lead to 'religious
      tribalism,' says Dr. Maher Hathout. Senior advisor for the Muslim Public
      Affairs Council in Los Angeles, he worries that religious groups will
      fight one another for grants. 'Litigation will certainly follow. I feel
      the country should be cautious about this proposal.'"

      Scientology responded to the controversy in an letter to the editor of The
      Hartford Courant on March 2nd.

      "The Church of Scientology welcomes the White House Office of Faith-Based
      Initiatives. The church-sponsored programs, not the church itself, will
      request the federal funds on the basis of their impressive results. The
      drug rehabilitation program Narconon, for example, supported by the church
      for three decades, has helped tens of thousands of people get off drugs,
      and results like those speak very strongly for themselves.

      "Based on everything the Bush administration and the Office of Faith-Based
      Initiatives have said so far, we expect these programs will be given fair
      and equal treatment based on their efficacy.

      "The Rev. Carol F. Yingling
      Church of Scientology of Connecticut"

      > Clearwater

      Jeff Jacobsen spoke to the Clearwater city commission this week concerning
      the off-duty officers hired by Scientology.

      "For over a year now every day 2 uniformed off-duty police sit on
      Watterson Street next to the Scientology Bank building on Cleveland
      Street. They are there from 11am to 8pm 7 days per week, paid by
      Scientology. They do essentially nothing but sit in lawn chairs provided
      by Scientology.

      "In a January 21, 1983 article in the Clearwater Times, a survey of
      Clearwater citizens showed that 'eight out of 10 adult residents think the
      Church of Scientology is a problem.' In 1995 Paul Maser of the Clearwater
      Police Department wrote an affidavit where the city was suing Scientology.
      He wrote about Scientology that 'harassment and intimidation is authorized
      by the Church under the Fair Game Law, as dictated by L. Ron Hubbard
      founder of the Church of Scientology.'

      "The City of Clearwater knows about Scientology. They know Scientology's
      history. And yet now I see the city officials kowtowing to Scientology.
      Antonio the Scientology security staffer sits all day with these 2
      uniformed officers, sitting on Scientology chairs eating Scientology food
      enjoying Scientology company and doing essentially nothing for Scientology

      "Scientologists who may think of leaving Scientology may think twice when
      they see city police are in the pockets of Scientology. Scientologists are
      no doubt told that the police are there because of the dangerous people
      just down the street at the Lisa McPherson Trust and they are there for
      ScientologistsÂ’ protection.

      "Judge Thomas Penick in St. Petersburg ruled on February 21 of this year
      that the Clearwater police are 'coming very dangerously close to being a
      private security force for the Church of Scientology.'
      I urge the city commission to look into this matter. What has changed in
      Scientology's behavior that city officials no longer view Scientology as

      > Cruise/Kidman

      Regent Digital News published an article on Scientology and the split
      between Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman.

      "Cruise is just one of numerous popular figures who count themselves amid
      Scientology's adherents, and partake of tailored services at elegant
      Celebrity Centres throughout the world, far from the hordes of ordinary
      Scientologists. This star-seduction was by design: the group's founder L.
      Ron Hubbard, made clear that if Scientology was to become the world's
      dominant belief system celebrities must play a key role in building
      credibility and wooing the general public.

      "Other than career pressures, the most frequently cited cause of the
      Cruise-Kidman split is a growing religious rift. Indeed, Kidman has
      increasingly exhibited doubts about Scientology. She has sought to
      downplay its role in her life, even saying that her beliefs involved 'a
      little Buddhism, a little Scientology; a big part of me is still a
      Catholic girl.' Although Scientology spokespersons often declare that the
      organization's members can also subscribe to other faiths, Hubbard
      ridiculed and dismissed other religions, including Catholicism, and made
      clear that no other thought system could coexist with his. Indeed,
      Scientology's basic creation story, which has humans as amalgams of alien
      beings transported from another galaxy 75 million years ago, is
      fundamentally incompatible with Christian - and other - dogmas.

      "If the divorce action is not an amicable one, the matter of their
      children - and Scientology's attitudes and policies toward young people --
      are likely to figure in the mix. Cruise and Kidman have two adopted kids,
      at least one of whom was reportedly born to an impoverished Scientologist
      in Florida. Scientologists who do not have the money for the expensive
      courses and counseling sessions can join a sort of lay clergy called the
      Sea Organization. In part due to their heavy workload, they are
      discouraged from having children. According to former members, Sea Org
      staffers who do become pregnant are encouraged to have abortions -
      although some may have been given permission to give up their children for
      adoption, in which case those children may have gone to more affluent

      "The most likely source of marital difficulty, say Scientology-watchers,
      probably centers on the relationship between Kidman and her parents in
      Australia, who work in the mental health field - a profession Hubbard was
      determined to stamp out. He regularly attacked psychiatry as a criminal
      profession, arguing that only his methods could correct aberrations and
      relieve mental and emotional difficulties. Cruise's own family connections
      may have the opposite effect. Former members say that Cruise has at least
      one sister who is deeply involved in Scientology, having joined at the
      actor's urging, and that if he were to leave the fold, that would put
      tremendous pressure on his sister to sever ties with him.

      > NOTs

      Dave Touretzky reported receiving a legal warning from Scientology lawyer
      Ava Paquette regarding his plans to discuss Scientology's secret materials
      at a lecture at Carnegie Mellon University.

      "You have posted an announcement to the newsgroup,
      alt.religion.scientology about your intention to publicly display the
      entire text of NOTs 34 under the guise of 'teaching' activities. Labeling
      this activity as 'teaching' does not give rise to any exemption
      notwithstanding your views of the law. Given the context in which you are
      announcing your intentions, it is plain that your threatened display of
      the entire text of NOTs 34 as educational 'fair use' is a pretext. As you
      well know, Judge Whyte enjoined the unlawful reproduction of that work
      even when, according to Keith Henson, its reproduction was relevant to his
      purported purpose. For these reasons, we demand that your refrain from
      your announced display of NOTs 34, without prejudice to any of RTC's
      rights or remedies, all of which are expressly reserved, as is RTC's right
      to take action without further notice to you."

      "Dear Ms. Paquette,

      "I was disappointed to receive your email message this evening, because my
      lecture in the Information Warfare class was at 11:30 this morning. I
      agree with you that use of material in the classroom is subject to
      copyright limitations. However, I reject your assertion that those
      limitations are exactly the same in all contexts. Copyrighted works are
      routinely displayed in their entirety in classroom settings, especially in
      the case of movies, audio recordings, or poetry. Nonetheless, I am
      delighted to see you acknowledge the possibility of fair use of
      Scientology materials. For the sake of argument, could you tell me exactly
      which paragraphs of NOTs 34 you think could be displayed to a class
      without exceeding the bounds of fair use?"

      > Blue Asbestos

      A declaration from former Scientologist Lawrence Woodcraft was posted to
      a.r.s this week, in which he described how blue asbestos aboard
      Scientology's ship, the Freewinds, was not properly removed when it was

      "One day Steve and I went into one of the cabins and he took a hammer and
      removed a section of paint from the outer steel wall. Under the layer of
      paint I noticed a powdery blue fibrous substance approximately 1 1/2"
      thick between the paint and the steel wall. I told him I thought it was
      asbestos, which is a hazardous substance, and the fibers must not be
      allowed to go airborne. I went into the engine room, saw a section where
      ceiling panels had been removed, and saw a big chunk of blue asbestos
      hanging down. I went to the Chief Engineer and said there is exposed
      asbestos in the engine room. He said that it was not asbestos.

      "On board were the original plans from the shipyard. Even though the
      notations were in Finish, I saw the word asbestos over and over. The ship
      was divided vertically into fire compartments with steel walls that ran
      the full height of the ship. They were lined both sides with 2-3 inches of
      blue asbestos. The underside of every deck was lined in asbestos. The
      outside walls of the ship had been sprayed with asbestos. All the ceiling
      panels contained asbestos. Around this time Bitty Miscavige visited the
      ship. I went to her and took copies of the ships blueprints and showed her
      the full extent of asbestos on the ship. Steve Kisacky stated that L. Ron
      Hubbard doesn't state in policy that asbestos is dangerous; he only states
      that fiberglass is dangerous and therefore we are only removing the
      fiberglass. It was explained to me that the ship was being remodeled only
      according to the written policies and 'advices' of L. Ron Hubbard. Since
      Hubbard had been in the US Navy and had then founded the Sea Org and had
      run a fleet of ships, he knew everything about ships. If asbestos was
      dangerous, he would have written this somewhere. Also Hubbard knew
      everything about cancer. He had written that cancer was caused by the mind
      and specifically second dynamic aberration (problems with relationships).
      I was told that people only get sick if they go into 'agreement' with
      being sick. I was being a 'wog' (non-scientologist) worrying about a
      little thing like asbestos.

      "The asbestos was scraped away to make room for new electrical wiring and
      new air-conditioning ducts. Holes were cut through the steel decks,
      sections of the vertical fire compartmental walls were removed to make way
      for relocating restaurants etc. etc. Asbestos was everywhere blowing
      around the ship like an insidious blue dust of death. It was piled up in
      the corridors, big chunks of it lie on the floor. When the re-fit company
      arrived, they saw the asbestos everywhere and had a fit. The re-fit
      company boss said it was dangerous and he couldn't expose his men to it.
      An asbestos team was formed using Sea Org members (3 or 4). Wherever there
      was exposed asbestos they would rush to the location and spray it with
      water and or paint. The idea was that the asbestos shouldn't be dry and
      flaking and therefore releasing airborne contamination. This was an
      extremely poor handling and the ship refit contractors were very unhappy;
      they would even sleep in their cabins wearing masks.

      "By the time the ship was finished, all the paneling was put back in place
      and the walls were painted and wallpapered, the floors were carpeted and
      new furniture was installed. It looked great, but behind the paneling, the
      asbestos was left hanging and flaking and falling apart. Every time a
      panel is removed for routine maintenance, asbestos dust is released into
      the rooms, cabins and corridors of the ship. This is continuing to this

      > Maria Pia Gardini

      Stacy Brooks posted and summarized a series of affidavits written by Maria
      Pia Gardini, a former Scientologist and Class 9 auditor.

      "In January of this year, Maria Pia Gardini contacted the Lisa McPherson
      Trust to ask us to help her recover 1.5 million dollars from Scientology.
      Maria comes from a wealthy Italian family. She was coerced into giving
      nearly her entire inheritance to Scientology and now is in serious
      financial difficulties. Maria's daughter got into Scientology via the
      Narconon program in Italy. At the same time, Maria was very sad about the
      death of her father, and her daughter begged her to get some auditing to
      help relieve her grief, so Maria did it. This auditor helped Maria
      tremendously during a difficult time in her life.

      "Because that very first auditing made her feel better, she continued to
      hope that as she moved up the 'Bridge to Total Freedom' she would feel
      better again, but it never happened. At each new auditing step Maria was
      disappointed, but always a Scientology registrar, or reg were able to get
      her to keep paying for more services, promising that the next level was
      the one she was looking for. Very soon after she got into Scientology,
      Maria joined the Sea Organization and ultimately became a Class 9 auditor,
      which is a very high level of training. Sea Org members are supposed to
      receive not only their room and board but also their auditing and training
      for free in return for their work. Yet because Maria had money, she was
      required to pay for everything she ever received in Scientology. She was
      literally told that she was unethical to want to hold onto any of her
      money and that she should simply turn over her entire fortune to

      "At every level beginning with OT3 Maria was promised that she would be
      rid of all her body thetans once she was done with that step. But at every
      step she discovered that it had been a lie. After OT3 she was told she had
      drugged BTs to take care of on OT4. Then she was told she had sleeping BTs
      to handle on OT5. Then on OT6 she learned that there were BTs everywhere,
      that her whole body was a mass of clusters of BTs. Then she did OT7 and
      thought she was now rid of all BTs - until she got to the Freewinds to do
      her OT8 and discovered that she was expected to audit out still more BTs.

      "Maria details a monumental 'reg cycle' in which she was coerced into
      turning over a million dollars for a project to bring Italian auditors to
      Flag to train to Class 8, only to find that not one Italian Class 8 was
      ever made with the money she had donated. The Commanding Officer of the
      Flag Service Organization, Debbie Cook, bought a new $40,000 car with the
      commission she made from Maria's coerced donation, and many others also
      got commissions from Maria's money. When Maria demanded her money back she
      was again coerced, this time into agreeing to get only half her money
      back. They waved a check in front of her and told her if she would agree
      to be repaid only half the money they would give her the check right away,
      otherwise, she would get nothing.

      "Shortly after Maria visited the Lisa McPherson Trust, I received a letter
      from Kendrick Moxon threatening to sue the LMT for inducing Maria Gardini
      to breach her contract. John Merrett then wrote to Moxon demanding a copy
      of the contract that was allegedly being breached, and informing Moxon
      that unless a copy of the agreement was forthcoming within one week we
      would consider that no such agreement existed. No such agreement has ever
      been produced by Moxon.

      "Tragically, Maria's daughter died of AIDS, contracted when she used a
      dirty needle given to her by another drug user while being treated at
      Narconon. Her daughter was OT7 when she died."

      Ed Hattaway

      A declaration by Ed Hattaway was posted to a.r.s this week, in which he
      describes the fraud he was involved with in Scientology's WISE

      "As a 3rd year chiropractic student, I was introduced to WISE by way of a
      chiropractic 'opinion leader' who taught seminars to students on a
      particular treatment technique. I began to seek out other successful
      chiropractors who were using 'the tech'. I found several in my local area
      who were with a Clearwater-based WlSE organization known as David Singer
      Enterprises. I was introduced to a local mission. Then to a larger org.
      Borrowing money from my college funds and bank to pursue that
      self-improvement ideal that would ultimately make me successful. By my
      third year in practice, I was already $20,000 in additional debt, with
      nothing to really show for it. I then purchased my own practice and began
      working out of the financial hole I had been digging for three years. I
      was nearly out of debt when I started getting reged for the OT levels.

      "I started sending a 'flow' to FSO of $500 to $1000 per week toward my OT
      levels. I then began to put plans into the works to leave my office and
      stay at FSO for between 4 and 6 weeks to get onto my OT levels. I took out
      a second mortgage. I did a lease buy-back on my office equipment. I maxed
      out all 4 of my credit cards. I borrowed money on some of my father's
      property. This was all encouraged as 'just a drop in the bucket', after
      all my super-duper OT abilities were going to create such abundance in my
      life-happiness, productivity, financial success, etc. I put over $50,000
      into Flag's coffers for these services in 1994 alone. Totaling nearly
      $70,000 since 1989.

      "I started my OT preps and Solo course at FSO. My business immediately
      began to fall apart. I opted at that point to leave and handle my
      business. It was then suggested by the reg that I should get my 'L's'
      instead. I did L-11, the new life rundown and L-12 the OT executive
      rundown. The practice continued to crash. I went back to Flag for 4
      different reviews in the following 4 months. Things kept getting worse. My
      wife and I decided to just stay away for awhile and see how things went.
      We couldn't afford to 'fix' me anymore.

      "I fell 6 months behind on my mortgage(s), my office rent, my equipment
      lease and my van. Over the next two years I accumulated over $30,000 in
      back taxes. In 1997 we gave up our home and our office and all of our
      equipment and moved into a Suburban Lodge with my wife and three small
      children. We talked my parents into taking us in. My parents said we
      could build out an apartment in their basement and live there until we got
      back on our feet. 4 years later, we are still in the basement."

      > Ireland

      The Irish Independent reported on February 25th that a former
      Scientologist in Wexford, Ireland is claiming she was the subject of mind

      Judgment was reserved yesterday in High Court proceedings brought by a
      33-year-old businesswoman who claims she was subject of mind control
      techniques by the Church of Scientology. Mary Johnston operates a sport
      equipment shop at Westwood, Foxrock, Dublin. She brought an application
      seeking documents against the organisation, which she described as a
      pseudo religious cult. Ms Johnston claimed the documents were necessary
      in her action for damages against the church and three of its members -
      John Keane, Tom Cunningham and Gerard Ryan.

      "She alleged that while undergoing 'treatment' offered by the church she
      suffered increasingly with a dissociative stress reaction, became
      intolerant and rejected family and friends. Ms Johnston claimed she
      suffered a distinct personality change, would often adopt a fixed stare
      and simulated smile while switching off her feelings. She also said she
      became increasingly confused and her health suffered.

      "She alleged that at a time when to Mr Cunningham's knowledge she was in
      an 'emotionally liable condition', he said courses known as 'dianetic
      auditing' would greatly improve her sense of well-being. Pressure was
      exerted on her to have a test which took place in March 1992 and the
      evaluator was Mr Keane. Ms Johnston claimed Mr Keane and Mr Cunningham
      pressurised her into subscribing for a 'purification rundown and training
      routing' at a cost of 1,200 pounds. David O'Neill BL, for the church,
      said his clients believed they would suffer damnation if they disclosed
      the counseling folder."

      > New Year's Eve

      An anonymous report from Scientology's New Year's Eve celebration was
      posted to a.r.s this week.

      "The 2001 New Years Event took place in Los Angles a day or two before New
      Years. This has become standard practice as Int Management needs time to
      edit the videos before they are sent to the orgs. DM reported that over
      100,000 visitors got their first look at the real world of Scientology.
      That the LRH Exhibition which has been in the US, Africa, Europe and India
      has been visited by 10s of thousands of people and that this tour has
      created more than 600,000 orders for LRH books. DM told us that the demand
      of the tech in cyberspace was absolutely the highest ever and resulted in
      338 new official web sites in the past year alone with over 120 million
      hits. This figure is larger that the total hits in the past 4 years.

      "DM stated, 'A reflection of how deeply we have reached into society is
      the respect we now command from courts and governments in the world over.
      In the legal arena, we saw no less that 65 major victories, including the
      wipeout of one of the most suppressive attacks in our history.
      Meanwhile, official recognition of our true nature was likewise
      unparalleled - four new religious recognitions in just the last quarter;
      seven in a single year, another all-time high!'

      "DM told us that the C of S brought Dianetics to half the people of
      Guyana. DM also reported that the British Navy has had a complete
      turnaround in viewpoint in regard to the C of S. DM reported a very
      impressive story about a professor at the Texas Lutheran University, who
      discovered that the poor freshman there were being taught this insidious
      subject of Liberal Arts. This professor convinced the University
      Administration to get rid of this Liberal Arts class and replace 'how
      brains learn in different ways' with study tech. DM reported that this
      was such a successful action at the Texas Lutheran Univ. that it created a
      statewide phenom. And now more than 3,000 Texas teachers are bringing the
      study tech to over 30,000 students.

      "Heber Jentzsch briefed us on ABLE which is bringing LRH's solutions to
      millions planet wide. Heber started out with his usual dreck about how
      awful it all is. In over 70 countries, homicide is up 45%, drugs, crimes
      blood brother per the emoting Heber costs economic woes in the US to the
      tune of 100 billion dollars a year. 73.5 trillion is spent WW for
      education yet 1.1 billion can not read. Heber reported that the Narconon
      program in Utah's juvenile court system is producing unprecedented results
      and that it is now the referral program of choice in Utah and is entirely
      state funded. Criminon is now delivering the tech to 1508 prisons in 23
      countries. Highest ever. Narconon has added 22 drug ed programs and rehab
      centers in the past year alone for a grand total of 91. This has doubled
      it delivery of drug ed to over 226,000 people. Applied Scholastics has 185
      education centers and brought the study tech to 362,000. The Way to
      Happiness was published in a bunch more languages for a total of 35
      languages in 84 countries with more that 56 million copies given out WW.

      "Mike Rinder spoke of the far reaching results from WISE. 9 new Hubbard
      Colleges opened for a grand total of 25 WW Enrollment of students
      increased by 60% WW with the total number trained in the Admin tech to
      12,000. Translated materials are now available in a bunch more languages.

      "Karen Hollander spoke of Scientology Missions International. SMI
      delivered over 260,000 WDAH and trained more than 6000 Book One Auditors.
      The Mission Network doubled the total number of mission staff in tech and
      admin training. A bunch of missions opened but no count was given. It
      was reported that there are now 77 countries with mission.

      "Ray Mithoff spoke about field auditors and I HELP. Ray reported that
      MILLIONS have been reached with the news of Scn and Dianetics from
      Swaziland to Lesotho, and from Mali to the Congo with the help of field
      auditors. Ray told us that the number of field auditors doubled, that over
      200,000 WDAH was delivered by the I HELP folks which is a 6X expansion
      since the release of GAT. The number of PCs sent to upper orgs by field
      auditors doubled 'with the numbers of those sent up the line for Clear at
      more that 11,500 and highest ever'.

      "WORLD CHAMPION MISSION FSM Andre Sizov from St. Petersburg, Russia In the
      past year Andre has delivered more than 500 lectures to over 10,000 people
      and has selected (got paid for) 145 people into the org. WORLD CHAMPION
      CLASS V ORG FSM Mauizio Pastore from Milano, Italy. WORLD CHAMPION SEA ORG
      SERVICE ORG FSM Ty Dilliard from LA, Calif. Ty is a Class VI, OT VIII. He
      got 120 people to arrive to Sea Org orgs in the past year. WORLD CHAMPION
      FLAG SERVICE ORG FSM Wendy Ettricks from LA, Calif. Wendy is OT VIII, L's
      comp now on the SHSBC She has gotten no less than 1000 people on the
      bridge. I believe this is a lifetime stat not a one year stat. WORLD
      VI This year Mike got 176 people on the bridge and has gotten more people
      to the Freewinds than any other FSM that has not yet been declared.

      "ELITE FSM AWARD. It requires that the FSM get a minimum of 1000 onto the
      Bridge in a single year. The award goes to Diana Pedroni-Giffuni. In the
      past year Diana has held 116 events, brought in 9791 new people for intro
      services and selected over 1000 people onto their next step.

      "New tape lecture series released called the Game of Life. DM claims that
      they are 20 lectures never before available. Cost $240.00 or $192.00 with
      IAS Lifetime membership.

      "DM gave his closing speech to the audience. 'Our certainty flows from
      two things. We have the tech to make it happen. And we have a true third
      dynamic. You and I have the wealth of knowledge that spans all sectors and
      zones of activities across the playing field call Earth. There is nothing
      we cannot do. No problem we cannot solve. No environmental challenge we
      cannot meet. We abound in the wealth of LRH truth contained in his books,
      lectures and films. In fact, we are the wealthiest beings in any universe.
      That is what the Golden Age of Tech is all about: Making the reality of
      what Scientology can achieve, your reality. No matter what you do in or
      out of Scientology, the increased knowledge gained in its study is the key
      to your eternity.

      "'We recently did a survey which revealed an average 400 point increase in
      OCA test results by students training without receiving any auditing.
      90% of Scientologists who have completed GAT training have since gone
      Clear. 79% are now OT. Training gets you there and handles apparent
      barriers in life preventing that achievement. Let me bluntly address the
      two most famous of barriers. The first is 'no time.' Well, we all know
      that time itself is the biggest lie and hence, so must be that barrier.
      Factually, you have no time not to get trained. The better trained you
      are, the more you will succeed in every endeavor. From raising the next
      generation to flourishing in whatever occupation you have, and yes-- even
      handling planetary SPs. So there is the central message for the coming
      year. Learn the tech, know it with certainty, and apply it. You can make
      the difference.'

      "Then we get the phony count down 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 Happy New Year!!!!
      It is actually about 9 o'clock at night LA time, a day or two before the
      New Year."

      > Tom Padgett

      An update on Tom Padgett's family court case in Kentucky was posted to
      a.r.s this week.

      "An order was entered in the western Kentucky court by the Domestic
      Relations Commissioner to overrule Laura Vannoy Padgett's Motion in Limine
      to restrict the testimonies of experts being brought forth by Tom Padgett.
      The petitioner tried to argue that even the simple mention of the word
      'scientology' in the proceedings was inappropriate, contemptuous, and
      inadmissible. Experts will be able to address the issues of the cult as it
      relates to visitation, child support, and arrearage matters. The
      evidentiary hearing scheduled for February 23rd and 26th, was postponed to
      May 11th and May 14th in the Hopkins Circuit Court in Madisonville, KY.

      "Laura Padgett's witness list did not include any experts - only herself
      and the parties' emancipated daughter. Tom will object to Laura's
      subpoenaing their children to keep them out of the middle of this very
      damaging Hubbard mandated litigation protraction tactics. Continued
      efforts by Tom to settle through mediation and counseling forums are being
      rejected by Laura Vannoy and her counselors."

      > State Department Report

      The annual U.S. State Department Human Rights Report was released this
      week. Some highlights regarding Scientology:

      "Austria - Nine religious groups have constituted themselves as
      confessional communities according to the 1998 law. After initially filing
      for confessional community status, the Church of Scientology withdrew its
      application from consideration.

      "Belgium - In September 1999, 110 national police officers raided Church
      of Scientology facilities and the homes and businesses of about 20 members
      of the Church. At year's end, an investigation continued, and no arrests
      had been made.

      "Czech Republic - In March and May 1999, the Government established two
      commissions to improve church-state relations. The commissions advise the
      Government on church-state relations, the status of churches and methods
      of their financing, as well as church-related property questions. Members
      of the commissions also have advised the Ministry of Culture on a proposed
      new Law being considered. It would impose a two-tiered registration
      system, lowering the membership requirement for the first tier (non-profit
      religious association with limited tax benefits) to 300, but raising the
      membership requirement for the second tier (full religious association
      with benefit of state funding and property rights) to approximately
      20,000. The proposed changes have been criticized by some unregistered
      religious groups (including the Muslims and the Church of Scientology) and
      nongovernmental observers as prejudicial against minority religions."

      "Denmark - Scientologists continued to seek official approval as a
      religious organization. The application was withdrawn in early 2000,
      shortly before a decision by the Government was expected. In withdrawing
      the application, the Church of Scientology asked the Ministry of
      Ecclesiastical Affairs for additional time to respond to reports about
      Scientology that had appeared in the media. By year's end the application
      had not been resubmitted.

      "Finland - In 1998 the Ministry of Education turned down the application
      of the Finnish Association of Scientologists to be registered as a
      religious community. The Scientologists' application was pending for
      nearly 3 years while the Government awaited additional information that it
      had requested from the association. The association acknowledged that it
      had not responded to the Government's request.

      "France - In October the Paris prefecture denied a request by the Church
      of Scientology for a permit for a demonstration involving 10,000
      participants. The Church alleged discrimination; however, the prefecture
      justified the denial based upon the proposed size and duration of the
      demonstration, which would make it difficult to maintain public order. The
      group rented a private park outside Paris in which to hold their

      "In March a Paris Correctional Court fined Jacques Guyard, the president
      of the parliamentary commission and a drafter of the 1996 National
      Assembly report on so-called sects, approximately $2,850 in response to
      complaints by three groups that were named in a parliamentary commission's
      June 1999 report on the financing of religious groups named in the
      original report. The 1999 report in question focused on multinational
      groups, especially Jehovah's Witnesses and Scientologists.

      "Germany - Several states have published pamphlets, which are provided to
      the public free of charge, detailing the beliefs and practices of
      non-mainstream religions. Many of the pamphlets are factual, but the
      inclusion of some religious groups in publications covering known
      dangerous cults or movements may harm their reputations. Scientology is
      the focus of many such pamphlets, some of which warn of alleged dangers
      posed by Scientology to existing political and economic structures and to
      the mental and financial well-being of individuals. For example, the
      Hamburg OPC publishes 'The Intelligence Service of the Scientology
      Organization,' which claims that Scientology tries to infiltrate
      governments, offices, and companies, and that the church spies on its
      opponents, defames them, and 'destroys' them.

      "The Church of Scientology, which operates 18 churches and missions,
      remained under scrutiny by both federal and state officials who contend
      that its ideology is opposed to democracy and that it is not a religion
      but an economic enterprise. In April the Federal OPC concluded in its
      250-page annual report for 1999 that the reasons for initiating
      observation of Scientology in 1997 still were valid. The six pages in the
      report covering Scientology described those aspects of the organization's
      beliefs that were deemed undemocratic, quoting from the writings of
      Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard and Scientology-published pamphlets and

      "Scientologists continued to report discrimination because of their
      beliefs. A number of state and local offices share information on
      individuals known to be Scientologists. The Federal Government uses its
      'Defense Clause' (commonly referred to as a 'sect filter') for procurement
      involving some training and consulting contracts, specifically those that
      may provide opportunities for mental manipulation or behavior
      modification. The sect filter requires a bidder to declare that the firm
      rejects and will not employ the 'technology of L. Ron Hubbard' within the
      framework of the contract, and that the firm does not require or permit
      employees to attend courses and seminars conducted via this 'technology'
      as part of its business function.

      "In April the Hamburg administrative court dismissed the suit of two
      Scientology members against the city-state for its use of 'sect filters.'
      In the state of Bavaria, applicants for state civil service positions must
      complete questionnaires detailing any relationship that they may have with
      Scientology; the form specifically states that employment will not be
      considered if the form is not completed. Moreover Bavaria has identified
      some state employees as Scientologists, sometimes years after they were
      first employed, and has required them to complete the questionnaire. Some
      of these employees have refused and two of them have filed suit in
      Bavarian courts. In October the Munich labor court ruled that the state
      cannot require employees to complete the questionnaire in the absence of
      evidence that the employee is involved in anticonstitutional behavior. The
      court further stated that even if the Scientology Church were to be found
      to be anticonstitutional, an individual's mere membership in the
      organization could not justify the Government delving into that person's
      private life in the absence of illegal behavior on his or her part.

      "Late in 1999, allegations that Microsoft's Windows 2000 contained a
      'Trojan Horse' or 'back door' that would permit the Church of Scientology
      to obtain information from an unsuspecting user's system surfaced in the
      technology trade press. These allegations arose after Hamburg's sect
      commissioner expressed public concern about the software because a firm
      whose chief executive officer is a Scientologist developed a disk
      defragmenting component for Windows 2000. Critics claimed--with no
      proof--that the defragmenter would secretly send personal data from
      individual computers to Scientology offices. In December Microsoft
      published instructions on how to remove the disk defragmenter from Windows
      2000 as an alternative to further testing by BSI.

      "Scientologists have taken their grievances to the courts, with mixed
      results. Some individuals who had been fired because they were
      Scientologists sued their employers for 'unfair dismissal.' Several have
      reached out-of-court settlements with employers. For example in March, a
      woman who had been summarily dismissed from her position in the bond
      department of a bank because of her association with Scientology received
      $27,300 (DM 60,000) under a settlement with her former employer.

      "Major political parties continued to exclude Scientologists from
      membership, arguing that Scientology is not a religion but a for-profit
      organization whose goals and principles are antidemocratic and thus
      incompatible with those of the political parties. However, there has been
      only one known enforcement of this ban. A Bonn court upheld the practice
      in 1997, ruling that a political party had the right to exclude from its
      organization those persons who do not identify themselves with the party's
      basic goals.

      "Public exhibitions by Scientologists in a number of cities to explain
      themselves to citizens encountered difficulties. In April the Visitor's
      Bureau of the Federal Press and Information Office intervened with a
      Berlin hotel, forcing the hotel to cancel Scientology's reservations for
      rooms for an exhibit. The hotel claimed that the Visitors' Bureau
      threatened to cancel several hundred thousand dollars worth of
      reservations if Scientology were allowed to exhibit in the hotel.
      Scientology was able to rent space elsewhere but incurred substantial
      extra expenses related to the last minute move of the exhibit. In
      Frankfurt a late February Scientology exhibit in the cafe of a well-known,
      city-owned museum sparked significant criticism, with city officials
      speaking out openly against Scientology and the exhibit. However,
      Scientology's recently established information office in Frankfurt has
      generated little or no public controversy. A Scientology exhibit at the
      Leipzig book fair in March provoked complaints about what some visitors
      considered aggressive marketing tactics, and fair authorities were
      reviewing whether to allow the exhibitors to return next year. In April
      Scientology was able to rent the public congress center in Hanover for a
      2-day exhibition, after a hotel canceled its reservation when it learned
      that Scientology had made the booking.

      "The government of Baden-Wuerttemberg appealed a decision by the Stuttgart
      Administrative Court, which ruled that a Scientology organization could
      not be deregistered as a nonprofit organization because its activities
      were used to accomplish its ideological purposes. The case was pending at
      year's end. The Celebrity Center Munich, a Scientology-affiliated
      organization that was stripped of its status as a nonprofit organization
      in 1995, has appealed a 1999 upper court ruling upholding that decision.
      The case was pending at year's end.

      "Greece - The only recent application for recognition as a known religion
      at the Ministry was submitted in February by the Scientologists of Greece.
      Although the deadline mandated by law for processing the applications is 3
      months, it took the Ministry until October to decide that it would not
      recognize the Scientologist community as an 'official' religion.
      Scientologists, most of whom are located in the Athens area, practice
      their faith through a registered nonprofit philosophical organization.
      According to the president of the Greek Scientologists, the group chose to
      register as a philosophical organization because legal counsel advised
      that the Government would not recognize Scientology as a religion. In a
      step toward gaining recognition as a religion, Scientologists reapplied
      for a house of prayer permit in February. The application was rejected by
      the Ministry of Education and Religious Affairs on October 17 on the
      grounds that Scientology 'is not a religion.'

      "Russia - The Church of Scientology has been in conflict with authorities
      since a February 1999 raid on its Hubbard Center in Moscow by the tax
      police, FSB, and procurator. Since then the organization has faced charges
      that it engaged in a commercial enterprise without a license. The case is
      still pending. The Church has been repeatedly refused in its efforts to
      reregister its national center and register local religious organizations.
      While the Church has succeeded in registering 50 'Dianetics Centers' as
      social organizations, it has only managed to register 1 Church of
      Scientology in Moscow as of October. The Church reports that authorities
      have impeded the operation of its centers in Dmitrograd, Khabarovsk, and

      "Switzerland - The Federal Court decided on June 7 to uphold a cantonal
      decision granting Scientologists the right to distribute leaflets in
      public areas. However, the court also affirmed that Scientology leaflets
      serve a 'commercial enterprise' and that distributors must obtain a permit
      to use public areas for their dissemination. The court ruled that
      Scientology does not act as a religious organization in such cases.
      Scientologists previously distributed flyers without the necessary
      permits, protected by the Religious Freedom Act. Several cantons are
      likely to use the precedence of the Federal Court's decision to regulate
      the distribution of leaflets.

      "United Kingdom - The Church of Scientology asserts that it faces
      discrimination because the Government does not treat Scientology as a
      religion. Ministers of Scientology are not regarded as ministers of
      religion under prison regulations or for immigration purposes. In 1999 the
      independent Charity Commission rejected a Church of Scientology
      application for charitable tax status accorded to most religious groups,
      and concluded that it is not a religion for the purposes of charity law."