    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 25, 2001

      > Battle Creek

      The Battle Creek Enquirer ran a special series of articles on February
      25th on what Scientology could mean to their community. Scientology has
      purchased the Hart Hotel, a landmark in downtown Battle Creek, Michigan.

      "The move is important for geographic reasons, said Mike Delaware, an
      executive secretary for the Church of Scientology and overseer of the move
      to Battle Creek. The church has two locations in Michigan - one in Ann
      Arbor and the other about 25 miles to the east in Farmington Hills.
      Delaware said many of the parishioners who come to Ann Arbor live on the
      west side of the state. The new location will cut travel time and be more
      convenient for parishioners.

      "Delaware, one of 10 ministers who alternate at the Ann Arbor church,
      highlights the 'two rules for happy living' featured in one of Hubbard's
      voluminous writings. The rules: 'Be able to experience anything' and
      'cause only those things which others are able to experience easily.'
      'Unhappiness is only this,' Delaware said at the lectern, with a bust of
      L. Ron Hubbard seemingly looking over his right shoulder, 'the inability
      to confront what is. If you can't confront, you won't be happy.'

      "While midweek visits to churches of other denominations may consist of
      choir practice or a few hours of Bible study, Scientologists can be found
      in their church - which is open from 9 a.m. to 10:30 p.m. seven days a
      week - at all hours taking courses or being counseled in 'auditing'
      sessions. While no collection plate is passed during the weekly Sunday
      service, money changes hands for the services. The courses and the
      auditing sessions, which are one-on-one counseling periods for the
      members, can cost up to $3,200 for 12 1/2 hours, according to a course
      list provided by the church.

      "Critics, including former members of the church, say Scientology is a
      'destructive cult' and both sides seem entrenched in a bitter war to
      discount the other's credibility. The Battle Creek Enquirer has received
      about 10 letters from residents - about evenly split between church
      supporters and critics - regarding the church's plan to move here. Todd
      Phipps of Battle Creek authored two of the letters and was greeted with a
      surprising message on his answering machine. The message was from John
      Carmichael, president of the Church of Scientology of New York. Carmichael
      requested to meet with Phipps to speak with him about why Phipps, an
      Evangelical Christian, was so opposed to Scientology. 'He was trying to
      get me to a point where I would be quiet and play nice,' said Phipps.

      "'If an organization feels it has to do these kinds of things, coming in
      from New York to talk to me because I wrote a couple of letters to the
      editor, they have to be hiding something,' Phipps said. 'There has to be
      something to it, or their reaction wouldn't have to be that adverse.'

      "Chuck Trammell, who grew up in Battle Creek, lived in Clearwater, Fla.,
      for 16 years and moved back home in August. His main reason? 'To get away
      from the Church of Scientology,' he said. 'They never did anything to me
      personally, I just don't like what they do. I want the people of Battle
      Creek to know that once they're in, they're in for good. 'They ruined the
      city of Clearwater,' Trammell said. 'It wasn't bad when they first snuck
      in there.

      "'Scientology is one of the most destructive cults separating our country
      today,' said Steve Hassan, a licensed mental health counselor and author
      of Combating Cult Mind Control. 'Unfortunately what they can expect is
      people to come in and recruit their loved ones and friends,' Hassan said.
      'The best possible thing for them to do is to educate themselves on this
      group and how its members operate.' Church officials, however, say Battle
      Creek can expect a group that will beautify a now-vacant building, a group
      that will be active in volunteering throughout the community and a group
      that will contribute to the quality of life by holding concerts and other
      events in and around its church.

      "Carmichael discounts the claims of Scientology's detractors. He says for
      every person who speaks critically of Scientology, there are thousands of
      success stories. Scientology officials say those who speak against the
      church have a 'vested interest' in doing so. When asked about specific
      claims, Carmichael produces arrest records against those making the
      claims.

      "Stacy Brooks and Jesse Prince, both former Scientologists, are among the
      most vocal critics and also considered 'dead agents.' Both now work for
      the Lisa McPherson Trust in Clearwater, Fla., a group that has as its
      mission statement: 'to expose the abusive and destructive practices of the
      Church of Scientology and help those who have been victimized by it.'
      Carmichael said both Brooks and Prince are 'paid anti-Scientologists' and
      are making up stories about the church. 'How come these two people are
      spending their lives saying lies about Scientology, saying vile things
      about Scientology? You've got to ask yourself that,' Carmichael said. 'I'm
      telling you why: because they can't get another job and they're getting
      paid well to do this.'

      "'Do church attorneys employ private investigators to keep up on people
      who are making a dedicated effort to attack the Church of Scientology?'
      Carmichael asked before answering his own question. 'Yes. We find all
      kinds of things when we look into these people.'"

      "Jai McFall of Milan turned to Scientology while going through a divorce
      and says she improved her landscaping business because of the church;
      Teresa Atkinson credits the teachings of Scientology for giving her the
      courage and will to end a struggling business relationship while living in
      Italy in the early 1980s; and several others with whom the Enquirer spoke
      at length. 'Scientology gives you the knowingness you need to help
      yourself,' Atkinson said. 'When you see it works, you want to know more
      and you want to know more. If you are done with yourself, you want to
      start helping others.'

      "Stacy Brooks was an aspiring writer in Atlanta in 1975, struggling a bit
      as many do. She recalls having dinner with some people who were
      Scientologists and mentioning some of the problems she was having. They
      suggested she take some courses that could help her communicate better and
      get her career off the ground. She then went through some 'auditing'
      sessions, a type of therapy that uses an Electropsychometer to measure a
      student's mental state or changing mental state using a small electric
      current that runs into the body.

      "She started growing emotionally apart from family and friends. She then
      physically moved away, joining the Scientology staff in Los Angeles later
      that year. 'There were a lot of very stringent rules, very long hours,
      people not being able to sleep a lot, people being given a diet of rice
      and beans if they didn't earn enough money (through recruiting) for
      Scientology,' Brooks said. 'I didn't agree with it, but I thought it was
      just people who didn't understand what Scientology was supposed to be.

      "'I tried to get high enough in the organization to teach people what
      Scientology was supposed to be.' Brooks says she then tried to speak out
      about conditions, but was told to be quiet and was threatened with
      separation from her husband. 'It became a very closed world,' Brooks
      said. 'If something was a violation of your civil rights or your human
      rights, you weren't allowed to go to anyone outside of Scientology for any
      recourse.' 'It's a very powerful, very wealthy scam which even people in
      the lower levels of Scientology don't know about,' Brooks said.

      "'I've heard what Stacy says and she lies through her teeth,' said John
      Carmichael, who is president of the Church of Scientology of New York and
      handles some public relations work for the church. 'It really exasperates
      me because it's so far from the truth.' 'The Church of Scientology
      would've been swept away years ago if people were being held against their
      will,' Carmichael said. 'It's just not happening.' Carmichael calls the
      trust a 'hate group' and added, 'I think anyone who makes a career out of
      harming a good group that helps people is evil. 'They are paid to say bad
      things about the Church of Scientology.'"

      "The church plans to have several rooms in the downtown Battle Creek
      building where parishioners, many of whom come from out of town, can stay
      during weekends, said Mike Delaware, a church executive secretary who is
      based in Ann Arbor and will oversee the move to Battle Creek. Also in the
      works are classrooms and the renovation of the former ballroom, which
      Delaware says will be available for the public to rent for various
      activities.

      "Delaware anticipates about 10 church staff members moving to Battle Creek
      in the beginning stages of the move. Many probably will buy homes in the
      area, he said. Mayor Mark Behnke and Janei said they've heard little from
      residents about the Church of Scientology moving into the former Hart
      Hotel building. 'We don't have any concerns about the Church of
      Scientology,' Janei said. 'They are planning to restore the building to
      its original state and that's a great thing for the City of Battle Creek.'

      "Behnke said 'I think you need to look at the economic development factor,
      and that's exactly what they're doing. They're coming into a community and
      renovating an existing landmark that has not been practical for anyone
      else in the community to rehabilitate.'"

      #####

      > Faith-Based Groups

      U.S. President Bush's plan to allow religious organizations to bid on
      federal money for charitable programs has raised the question of whether
      Scientology and other cults will be eligible for the funds. From the New
      York Times on February 19th:

      "Bush's new Office of Faith-Based and Community Initiatives officially
      opened for business today. The president says religious programs will not
      be judged on their beliefs, but on the results of their work. 'We do not
      impose any religion,' Bush said at a recent prayer breakfast. 'We welcome
      all religion.'

      "The president's assertion may be questioned in the coming days. While
      established charitable programs, like those run by Catholic Charities and
      the Salvation Army, are expected to have little trouble winning further
      government support, it is other programs run by less traditional faiths,
      including the Church of Scientology, that are likely to test the
      president's promise to avoid discriminating on the basis of belief, and
      the public's acceptance of his approach.

      "There are few clues so far to how the Bush administration will look on
      proposals from religious groups that seem out of the mainstream. In an
      interview with the New York Times during the campaign, Bush was asked if,
      for example, he would approve of government financing for a Church of
      Scientology antidrug program. He answered: 'I have a problem with the
      teachings of Scientology being viewed on the same par as Judaism or
      Christianity. That just happens to be a personal point of view. But I am
      interested in results. I am not focused on the process.'

      "For its part, the Church of Scientology claims it can document the
      effectiveness of its literacy programs and its drug and prisoner
      rehabilitation programs, Narconon and Criminon. In Oklahoma, the church
      receives state money to treat drug addicts at Narconon Chilocco, a
      Scientology rehabilitation center, said Kurt Weiland, director of the
      Church of Scientology International.

      "'One of the big issues that people haven't talked about much is that some
      very controversial religions could get active in this,' said Philip
      Jenkins, the author of Mystics and Messiahs: Cults and New Religions in
      American History and a professor of history and religious studies at Penn
      State. 'Running a faith-based program raises the question, what faiths are
      out of bounds?' Jenkins said. 'Either you fund all faith groups, even
      groups you radically don't like, or you fund none. How do you distinguish
      between a Methodist and a Moonie? The answer is, you can't.'

      Conservative Christian leader Pat Robertson expressed his reservations
      with the plan in an article by the Associated Press on February 21st.

      "Robertson said Tuesday that he worries about government funding religious
      groups that are outside the mainstream, such as the Church of Scientology,
      Hare Krishnas or the Unification Church. 'This thing could be a real
      Pandora's box,' Robertson said on his '700 Club' broadcast. 'What seems to
      be such a great initiative can rise up to bite the organizations as well
      as the federal government.'

      "Robertson and his son, co-host Gordon Robertson, both said that
      government would be hard pressed to give grants to some religious groups
      and not others. 'I don't see how on a constitutional basis can you say,
      'Well, this belief is OK, and this belief is not,' Gordon Robertson said."

      From the San Francisco Chronicle on February 22nd:

      "TV evangelist Pat Robertson has questioned President Bush's faith-based
      welfare reforms, saying he fears such controversial groups as the Hare
      Krishnas and the Church of Scientology may soon get public funds to offer
      social services once provided by the government.

      "Robertson, a former GOP presidential candidate and one of Bush's
      strongest supporters on the Christian right, pointed to plans by the Rev.
      Sun Myung Moon's Unification Church to promote its sexual abstinence
      programs in public schools with government funds. The TV preacher also
      fears the Church of Scientology will use Bush's faith-based welfare reform
      plan to expand its Narconon drug treatment program. He said Moon's church
      uses 'brainwashing techniques' on recruits, while the Church of
      Scientology is 'accused of all sorts of underhanded tactics.'

      "Asked about Robertson's comments, White House spokeswoman Claire Buchan
      said, 'We think this program is based on sound principles, and that it is
      the right thing to do, and the president is very committed to it.'"

      The Philadelphia Daily News reported on February 22nd that the Secretary
      of Housing and Urban Development had comments on the controversy during a
      visit to Philadelphia charities.

      "Brittany Fisher, 7, carefully writing sentences on lined paper as part of
      Sister Mary Scullion's after-school program, looked up at the visitor from
      Washington. 'Is the president coming?' she asked the man in the blue
      pinstripe suit. 'He sent me instead. Sorry,' said Mel Martinez, secretary
      of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. 'You can come to
      Washington and I'll show you around.'

      "Asked if he expected the Bush administration to be funding applications
      from the Nation of Islam and the Church of Scientology, Martinez blurted
      'no,' but quickly corrected himself. 'One would be very careful with the
      kind of partnerships we accept,' he said. 'We would use good judgment in
      the kind of partnerships' the government enters. 'We'll do it on a
      case-by-case basis,' he added. 'I don't think we should rule out any
      organization on the basis of its name.'"

      #####

      > Steve Hassan

      A summary of Steve Hassan's appearance on the February 24th edition of The
      O'Reilly Factor was posted to a.r.s this week.

      "Steve Hassan was on The O'Reilly Factor on the Fox network. O'Reilly's
      contention was that it would be very difficult for the Bush administration
      to deny a group such as Scientology potential federal money for 'faith
      based' charitable works since it could be argued that Scientology has done
      good. The example O'Reilly used was Scientology's work with drug addicts;
      'they've cured numerous drug addicts,' according to O'Reilly.

      "Hassan stated that the eligibility of groups receiving federal funding
      for faith based works should be based on the behavior of the groups and
      not their belief system. He mentioned the United Nation's Declaration of
      Human Rights as a model. He suggested that scientology (and other
      religions such as the Moonies) could not meet the basic requirements of a
      faith based religion due to their 'systematic deceptions to recruit
      people.' He also mentioned the Lisa McPherson case and how she was denied
      medical treatment for seventeen days.

      "Hassan stated that if it forces the destructive mindset of groups such as
      scientology into the public domain, that this would be a good thing. If an
      objective set of guidelines on what constitutes a faith based group is
      written down and followed, it might eliminate groups such as scientology
      from contention for federal money."

      #####

      > Human Rights Award

      The recipient of this year's European-American Committee's Human Rights
      Award was announced this week.

      "This year in Leipzig, the home city of the East German civil rights
      movement, the European-American Citizens Committee for Human Rights and
      Religious Freedom will celebrate its second human rights award with Dr.
      Norbert Bluem. Dr. Norbert Bluem will receive the award for implementing
      and championing the causes of human rights and religious freedom in the
      discussion about the totalitarian Scientology Organization. The award will
      be presented to Dr. Norbert Bluem at an award ceremony in Leipzig early
      this summer.

      "The international European-American Citizens Committee for Human Rights
      and Religious Freedom which selected the the award winner is concerned
      from a trans-Atlantic perspective about violations of human rights and of
      religious freedom by the Scientology Organization. A statement by the
      Award Committee reads, 'As Europeans and as U.S. citizens, we are
      concerned about the Scientology Organization's attacks on the human
      dignity and lives not only of its members, but also of its critics."

      > Cruise/Kidman

      Tabloid newspaper the Star published an article on the divorce of Tom
      Cruise and Nicole Kidman on February 27th.

      "On Feb. 5, Tom and Nicole announced the split. Two days later, he filed
      for divorce. 'That was part of Tom's Scientology beliefs,' says a source.
      'The church believes there's no point hanging on to something once it's
      gone, and you should get rid of your past as quickly as possible.'

      "But little can top one of Tom's early requests to Nicole, 33. He had her
      tape an 'emotional' confession for the Scientologists before she joined
      the group, says the writer. 'Nicole agreed to take part in the 'e-test' -
      a kind of lie detector - inside of the church's L.A. headquarters,'
      according to Clarkson. 'Now that they're getting divorced, she's said to
      be 'extremely worried' about the tape and is desperate to make sure it
      doesn't fall into the wrong hands.'"

      From the February 27th issue of the National Enquirer:

      "Nicole, who joined her husband in the religion of Scientology, now fears
      that she may be damaged in divorce court because of it, an insider said.
      'She now regrets complying with Tom's demands that she go through
      Scientology screening before the marriage,' the insider said. 'There were
      lengthy taped interviews in which she bared her soul. She did it because
      Tom felt it was important. But now that the marriage has ended, she's
      afraid that people might use the personal details against her down the
      road.'"

      From the National Review on February 24th:

      "We will likely never know what went wrong between Tom Cruise and Nicole
      Kidman, but a recent article in the New York Post suggests that Tom
      Cruise's Scientology was a big part of the problem. Apparently, Ms. Kidman
      is disenchanted with the controversial religion, and does not want her
      children to be reared in it. Even if one ignores the number of fairly
      sinister stories told about Scientology, some of its precepts reflect the
      sort of ideas that put it squarely in the lunatic fringe.

      "Scientology, after all, is an easy target with its oddball technology,
      goofy jargon, and, reportedly, a secret creation myth that revolves around
      the activities of the wicked intergalactic ruler, Xenu. Scientologists,
      of course, should be free to believe whatever they want, but it does not
      say a lot for the state of this nation's critical faculties that their
      philosophy has won as much acceptance as it has.

      "Ask most Americans, and they will tell you about their respect for the
      spiritual, but it is a sloppy and uninformed devotion. Nicole Kidman
      herself provided an example of this mindset in a 1998 interview with
      Newsweek. 'There is a little Buddhism, a little Scientology. I was raised
      Catholic, and a big part of me is still a Catholic girl.' Hand in hand
      with such an attitude is an unwillingness to debate the religious beliefs
      of others. Such debate is now believed to be insensitive at best, bigoted
      and hateful at worst. These days everyone is meant to be a little bit
      Buddhist, Catholic, Scientologist , whatever. True religious tolerance is
      the acceptance of the right of others to follow a different creed. In our
      ersatz, contemporary version, however, it is denied that there are any
      different creeds. Instead, we are encouraged to think that all religions
      are basically the same, just different routes to the same transcendental
      Truth.

      "The Scientologists are not the only ones to have seized this opportunity.
      We are becoming a nation of nitwit necromancers, idiot Astrologers, and
      suburban shamans. Others prefer to fool around with crystals, commune with
      UFOs, or worship the Earth. And that is their right, but we should not be
      afraid to say that it is also their mistake. Somehow I suspect that, these
      days, Nicole Kidman might just agree."

      Die Welt reported on February 24th that Scientology has a new recruiting
      program in Hamburg.

      "According to statements from the Interior Agency's Task Force on
      Scientology, many young people have been addressed in the vicinity of the
      organization's headquarters on Dom Street in past weeks. The recruiters,
      however, do not do anything that would identify them as members of the
      Scientology Organization, the Task Force said.

      "Young people were engaged in conversation by asking them if they have
      ever heard the name Albert Einstein. Afterwards the recruiters asked their
      targets to follow the Scientology adherents. The Interior Agency requests
      that children or their parents who encounter this get into contact with
      the Task Force on Scientology.

      From Hamburger Morgenpost on February 24th:

      "'Do you know Albert Einstein?' Absolutely - the physics genius is an idol
      for many computer kids. And the Scientology sect is now shamelessly
      exploiting that fact, says Hamburg's Interior Agency. Scientologists use
      the name of the Nobel Prize winner as bait for young people on the city
      sidewalks, then lure them into the new sect center on Dom Street. Most
      deceptive: 'The recruiting people did nothing to identify themselves as
      members of the organization,' said the agency.

      "Another trick in the new recruitment strategy used by the Hubbard
      disciples: passersby are invited into Scientology headquarters with an
      invitation to take a so-called 'harmful substance' test,' warned the Task
      Force. Director Ursula Caberta said, 'This 'Purification Program' is the
      start of a 'Scientology career.'

      "The Downtown District Office is also making life difficult for the sect.
      It is currently checking to see if the use of the sauna on 30 Dom Street
      for hours at a time during the so-called 'Purification Rundown' is
      permissible under zoning regulations. One possible consideration is that
      Scientology's sauna program poses a health hazard."

      #####

      > Personality Test

      The Kansas City Star published an article on February 20th on
      Scientology's personality test.

      "Although the church wants potential members to know them inside and out,
      they were somewhat reluctant to be probed by KMBC 9 News. Many cheered
      the opening of the Hubbard Dianetics Foundation in Westport earlier this
      month. The church promised free IQ, personality and aptitude tests that
      can improve lives, raise IQs and even determine success and the future,
      Hubbard reported.

      "When KMBC asked Scientology spokeswoman Bennette Seaman if reporters
      could take the tests, she said, 'No.' Seaman said that media have been
      critical of the tests because they are based on the controversial
      self-help book 'Dianetics.'

      "'I don't buy it at all. I'm not attracted to it,' said Tim Miller, head
      of religious studies at the University of Kansas. KMBC News sent an
      undercover producer to pick up a copy. The tests have such questions as
      'Does an unexpected action cause your muscles to twitch?' and 'Are you so
      self-assured that it sometimes annoys others?' The test -- called the
      Oxford Capacity Analysis -- supposedly provides the test-taker with a
      profile of her or his personality, Hubbard reported. Miller said that no
      matter what your answers are, the results are often used to recruit you to
      join the church. 'And, in fact, they will always tell you that this
      demonstrates that you would profit wonderfully from scientological
      auditing,' Miller said.

      "Miller said that there are two things that people should know before
      becoming involved in the church: Joining the church can be expensive, and
      the group has a history of being hostile and litigious with members who
      quit and then speak out against the church."

      Mark Bunker reported the results of a trial in St. Petersburg to determine
      whether Scientology or a number of critics should be found in contempt of
      court for violating a restraining order issued for the protests in
      Clearwater in December.

      "Neither Bob Minton nor Tory Bezazian were convicted today. Judge Penick
      acquitted all but two of the more than forty charges against Bob, the LMT
      and the rest of the critics. He fined Tory $100 but did not find her
      guilty for walking down Fort Harrison Avenue without holding her picket
      sign upside down. He withheld adjudication and fined Bob $500 for engaging
      in First Amendment activity outside of an orange zone. Bob is on probation
      for six months but was not convicted. The judge came down hard on
      Scientology's spy cameras, abusive process servers/P.I.s, and the
      'embarrassing' testimony of OSA's rebuttal witness.

      "Judge Penick brought in the Clearwater Police's attorney to let him know
      that the judge believed there was a great deal of merit to the claim that
      Scientology is 'using' and 'duping' the police they hire. Penick warned
      that the CW Police were dangerously close to becoming Scientology's
      security force.

      From the St. Petersburg Times on February 22nd:

      "After listening for eight long days to allegations between the Church of
      Scientology and its chief critics, Circuit Court Judge Thomas E. Penick
      spent nearly 90 minutes Wednesday admonishing the church, its adversaries
      and even the Clearwater Police Department.

      "To the church, Penick said there is no need for Scientology agents to
      continually stick cameras in critics' faces. To the keepers of the Lisa
      McPherson Trust, he demanded they stop taunting Scientologists and fined
      two of them. To the Clearwater police, Penick said he sympathizes with
      their struggle to maintain order in downtown Clearwater but warned, 'They
      are coming very dangerously close to becoming a private security force for
      the Church of Scientology.'

      "Robert Minton, founder of the Lisa McPherson Trust, was fined $500 and
      given six months' probation for waving a 10-foot retractable pole with a
      copy of the injunction hanging at the end outside the windows of a
      Scientology building. Minton waived 'The Threep' on Jan. 6 as he stood in
      a no-picket zone. Former Scientologist Tory Bezazian, who left the church
      in July, was fined $100 for walking in a no-picket zone Dec. 7 carrying
      two protest signs.

      "Using the phrase 'spy cameras,' Penick expressed bewilderment at the
      level of surveillance that goes on in downtown Clearwater. Church members
      and critics regularly can be seen on public sidewalks toting video
      cameras. And the church has more than 100 cameras trained on its
      properties, all of which feed live into a room in the Fort Harrison Hotel,
      where they are monitored by church security staffers. 'I'm missing the
      point here,' Penick said. 'I hope someone will let us know when the great
      invasion is coming.'

      "Officers also confused people by giving conflicting information about the
      injunction. 'There was far too much street justice being meted out by
      either off-duty or on-duty Clearwater police officers,' Penick said.

      "Merrett said the hearing was worthwhile. 'Scientology came in here
      believing they could finally create their little corner of the world where
      their rules can silence the law,' Merrett said. 'Judge Penick is in their
      way.' Clearwater lawyer F. Wallace Pope said the hearing showed that the
      injunction has numerous holes that will be addressed as a permanent
      injunction is drafted. 'If they're going to picket, do it peacefully.
      Don't do it with a lot of ridicule,' Pope said. 'Just follow the orders
      provided in the injunction.'"

      Jeff Jacobsen reported that following the judge's criticism of the spy
      camera Scientology has aimed at the entrance of the Lisa McPherson Trust,
      the camera has been replaced with a more noticeable camera, further down
      the street.

      "I saw Paul Kellerhals on Watterson Street pointing up to the roof of
      their building while talking to one of their workers. This morning I came
      to work and noticed that the spy camera in the junction box near the Trust
      on Watterson Street is completely gone! It has been replaced by a regular
      fixed security camera about 50 feet farther south right where the bank
      building becomes 2 stories. This is probably an advantage to them anyway
      since this would be a better picture and have zoom capabilities."

      "Shellac" reported that flyers were distributed outside the What is
      Scientology exhibit in London this week.

      "At around 10:30am we reached the exhibition. The Jive Aces were set up on
      the street, kickin' out some old skool tunes. 'Tony' had kindly printed
      off 50 copies of a slightly altered version of the 'Who is Xenu?' leaflet.
      We positioned ourselves about 20 metres up the street from the exhibition,
      away from the Scientologists.

      "One scientologist walked past, telling me to 'stick your leaflet up your
      arse'. Graeme Wilson, who had be so civil to Martin Poulter and me the
      previous week, tried to engage Tony. Tony ignores him. Graeme then
      proceeded to cry 'who are you? what are your crimes?'.

      "Graeme is deeply confused about free speech and libel. He thinks that the
      leaflet we have handed out is libelous. He thinks Scientology is right to
      sue anyone who makes derogatory remarks about the Church - it's libel. As
      I wander off a policeman approaches me. He's had complaints about libelous
      leaflets and a potential breach of the peace. We were 'outside the shop'
      according to the complaint. The complaint is a pack of lies, and I was a
      little hard on the policeman. Graeme got photos of me and a policeman, so
      he was happy."

      #####

      > Switzerland

      Sonntagszeitung Zuerich reported on February 25th that Scientology wants
      to become involved in anti-drug efforts in Basel, Switzerland

      "Scientology would like to mingle with the drug politic in Basel: a
      representative of the controversial sect is sounding out openings in
      government agencies and anti-addiction institutions. The 'Gassenzimmer'
      manager wanted nothing to do with cooperation.

      "The Scientologist woman showed up in the offices of Walter Meury, the
      director of the 'Gassenzimmer Riehenring und Spitalstrasse' last week.
      Meury said, 'Mrs. Klug explained that Scientology wanted to take part in a
      needle-collection operation.' Klug verified for 'Der SonntagsZeitung' that
      the planned needle-collection action was only part of a larger
      international project: 'We are making an anti-drug campaign,' she said.
      They will set up stands and send out brochures to make the public aware of
      the 'methods by which we remove drugs from bodies.'

      "'No, thanks,' SRB business manager Gabi Maechler turned down the offer
      and told us, 'The problems with drugs are delicate enough without
      Scientology having to get involved here.' Walter Meury also said he saw no
      need to cooperate with Scientology. Basel is aware of Scientology; it is
      the first Canton in Switzerland to pass a law against aggressive
      membership recruitment on public land. According to Meury there exists 'at
      the moment no need' for a needle-collection operation. He said the
      operation they already had to collect needles was good enough, Doctor
      Silva Keberle said in response to Scientology that there was a possibility
      drug addicts 'could be manipulated for a private purpose.'"

      > Gregory Wisner

      Mike Krotz reported that Gregory Wisner, a former Narconon participant,
      has been identified as the body that washed up on a Clearwater-area beach
      in January 2001.

      "'The decedent had tried to stop using cocaine and had mentioned
      'cleansing' himself to a close friend. The cocaine intoxication may have
      contributed to his drowning. The manner of death is accident.'- John R.
      Thogmartin, M.D., Chief Medical Examiner

      "Gregory Wisner was raised in Scientology households, but more recently
      had become subject to Scientology's disconnection policy. His father, R.
      Michael Wisner, is a prominent Scientologist and spokesperson for the
      virtues of Narconon's procedures, and is co-author of a study claiming
      that toxic damage to nervous tissue can be reduced with Mr. Hubbard's
      protocol. R. Michael Wisner is also the author of a book, Living Healthy
      in a Toxic World. The last meeting between father and son was described as
      an argument. He did not attend his son's funeral.

      "Gregory Wisner's mother, Helen, married Herb Zerden when Gregory was
      quite young. Helen and Herb are active Clearwater, FL area Scientologists.
      Herb Zerden has been documented working with Mary DeMoss in her harassment
      campaign of Scientology critics. His mother told police that she thought
      her son was off at a drug treatment program, and therefore did not suspect
      anything strange when he disappeared. She also told police she was aware
      that he had a problem with cocaine. Gregory Wisner attended Narconon in
      December 1997."