    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 7, 2001

      Free A.r.s Week in Review subscriptions are available.
      Subscriptions are also available on ONElist. Email
      weekinreview-subscribe@onelist.com or see http://www.onelist.com

      > Scam Artist

      The Arizona Republic reported on January 5th that Scientology was
      instructed to return $1.2 million dollars that was donated by a scam
      artist member.

      "More than $1.2 million bilked from investors has been recovered by
      federal officials and will be returned to the fraud victims, authorities
      said Thursday. Benjamin Franklin Cook III of Arizona was charged last
      August with 37 counts of racketeering, fraud and theft in connection with
      an investment scheme run by his company, Dennel Finance Ltd.

      "A U.S. Customs Service investigation resulted in a court order this week
      directing the Church of Scientology to return $1.2 million donated by
      Dennel Finance. The church returned the funds to a receiver and has not
      been accused of any wrongdoing, authorities said.

      "Cook's plan promised investors that their money would be placed in a
      European bank trading program. The agencies allege that Cook used the
      money to buy cars, airplanes, a house and other real estate."

      #####

      > Arson

      The Austin American-Statesman reported on January 4th that two men were
      arrested for exploding a device at the Scientology org.

      "Police arrested two men Wednesday in connection with the detonation of a
      bottle filled with an acid mixture Dec. 27 in the 2200 block of Guadalupe
      Street. John A. Tipton, 21, and Roel Calderon, 21, were charged with
      arson. They were being held at the Travis County Central Booking Facility
      in lieu of $20,000 bail each. Detectives found no evidence that the
      device was directed at the nearby Church of Scientology, police said."

      #####

      > Largo

      Letters to the Editor of the St. Petersburg Times on January 3rd addressed
      plans for a Scientology mission in Largo, Florida.

      "'I know they do a lot of good, but they control people's minds.' This
      quote is attributed to Largo Vice Mayor Jean Halvorsen. I am not a
      Scientologist, nor am I extremely knowledgeable. What I am knowledgeable
      about is that there is no way Jean Halvorsen could possibly represent the
      best interests of the residents of Largo when she is so clearly prejudiced
      against one group of its citizens. -- Michael Barboza, Largo

      "The so-called Christians who are protesting Kathy Feshbach's purchase of
      property in Largo make me ill, especially the lady who attended the church
      faithfully for many years. Did not this lady ever truly get the spiritual
      message from her minister, judge ye not lest you be judged? -- Bill Hoth,
      Clearwater

      "Largo residents should beware of the expansion of Scientology into their
      city. Scientology wants to be a presence in Largo's redevelopment
      district. If you don't think that is bad, just ask the citizens of
      Clearwater. Kathy Feshbach says she wanted to buy the church so they could
      keep it a religious spot. Scientology has nothing to do with religion. It
      would have been more appropriate if she had bought an old bank, since the
      only thing they worship is money. -- David Rodman, Dunedin"

      #####

      > LEAP

      Tilman Hausherr reported a new Scientology front group aimed at literacy.

      "LEAP, 'Literacy Education and Abilities program'. It is for Memphis what
      the World Literacy Crusade is for Los Angeles, i.e. turning people into
      Scientologists without the name."

      http://www.lisamariepresley.com/charities/leap.html
      http://www.superphonics.com/simplephonics.html

      #####

      > Mace-Kingsley Ranch

      Patricia Greenway reported on an effort to prevent the son of Peter
      Alexander from being sent to Scientology's Mace-Kingsley Ranch in New
      Mexico.

      "Peter Alexander's 14 year old son, Moe lives with Peter's ex-wife
      (current Scn) Jolie Kanat in Marin County, California. Jolie told Moe that
      she was pulling him out of his public school in the next 2 days and
      sending him to the Mace Kingsley Ranch, a bootcamp/RPF for kids located in
      New Mexico. Peter Alexander's child custody agreement stipulates shared
      parental responsibility regarding Moe's education and counseling so he
      knew he had to stop this action.

      "Peter called his ex-wife Jolie to remind her of the shared parental
      responsibility stipulation in their custody agreement. He told her in no
      uncertain terms that Moe was NOT allowed to go to any Scn school. Jolie
      said she 'understood'. We learned that immediately following Peter's call
      to Jolie, she made arrangements for Moe to be taken this Sunday to Larry
      Master for 2 weeks of 'cleaning up' before being delivered to the Mojave
      Academy. Thanks to the diligent efforts of so many of you we were able to
      ascertain the following: Larry Master, an old time Scientologist located
      in Perris, California operates a 'counseling center' called Larry's House.
      We found that by calling the 800 number on the Larry's House website that
      you get yet another old time Scn named Billy Nichols.

      "Peter immediately sent the Mojave Academy email informing them of his
      shared parental responsibility custody agreement and that he was not
      giving Moe permission to attend there or even to visit their facility.
      Legal action will be taken if they disregard this communication. Peter
      then called Larry Master. He asked Larry what was the nature of his
      counseling center. Larry told him it was a 'qual facility' and that he had
      '100 per cent results.' Larry asked Peter if he was a member of the
      'church'. Peter said no. Larry then said: 'Well that's going to make this
      very difficult then.' Larry then said something about the disconnection
      policy and Peter responded by telling him that Moe would not be allowed to
      go there and under Florida law the shared parental responsibility
      agreement would give Peter grounds for suitable legal action against Larry
      and his facility. At this point, Larry blew up demanding to know how Peter
      found out about him and how he got his unlisted phone number and that he
      was changing his number right away and, after the yelling from both sides
      mounted, it was unclear as to who hung up on whom.

      "Thank you for your invaluable support, a very frightened 14 year-old
      thanks you as well."

      Bruce Pettycrew reported a protest in Mesa, Arizona this week.

      "Kathy and I dodged intermittent showers this AM to picket from 9:00 to
      9:30. During that time, the 'Key-bearer' arrived on his bicycle to let in
      3 waiting stooges. About 9:20, 1 more person was dropped off."

      "Ethercat" reported a protest in Atlanta this week.

      "Arrived around 2, left around 3. There were two adults who left in one
      car, and an adult with a child in the second car. Wynot made sure they got
      a glimpse of the 'Who is Xenu? Find the answer on xenu.net.' sign, keeping
      the 'Scientology Lies' sign aimed at the street. My sign said 'What is
      Scientology? A bait and switch SCAM!'

      "Once thing I've noticed about the honks and waves - they're becoming
      bolder. We're getting people laying on the horn, for a long honk as they
      pass. Some of the people waving or giving us thumbs ups take great care to
      make sure we see, and we always give them a wave or a smile."

      Kristi Wachter protested this week in San Francisco.

      "12:00 - 2:00 pm. Picketers: Phil, Peaches, Sal, Kristi Wachter. Handlers:
      Jeff, Craig, 'Atlas'. Number of Handouts given away: 231.

      "When Peaches and I arrived at the org, Phil was already picketing. He
      spent most of the picket talking with various Scientologists (as a former
      Scientologist, I think he directs his message more toward current Scns
      than toward the public). During most of the picket, Craig kept within 10
      feet of me and attempted to hand out libelous fliers. These were new
      fliers; they feature Peaches and me on one side, with our photos and the
      following text: 'Religious Bigots Peaches O'Reilly Kristi Wachter
      bigotwatch.net Stop Hate.' The other side has a picture of Bob Minton,
      'Stop the Hate', an excerpted headline 'a L4 billion fraud', a blurry and
      illegible scan of part of a newspaper article, and a photo with the
      caption 'Nigeria's people are hostage to their country's crumbling
      economy.'

      "As I glanced up the street, I noticed a new picketer carrying one of
      Peaches' signs. I came over and introduced myself. I asked the newcomer
      for a name or nickname - he said 'Sal' - and I asked why he had decided to
      join in. He said that when he had arrived in the city some years ago he
      had gone in to the org for a personality test. He said the invasive
      questions they asked bothered him, and he felt like they were trying to
      manipulate him. He said he'd never been inclined to take any action to
      protest Scientology before, but he'd seen us picketing occasionally, and
      today he had time to join in.

      "One gentleman took a flier and told me he fully supported us - he'd had a
      friend who had died because of Scientology. He said his friend was
      schizophrenic, and when he became involved in Scientology, they told him
      he didn't need his medication anymore. He began to give them all his
      money, and the Scientologists got him to stop listening to his parents and
      his doctors. He went to Clearwater. He eventually began to re-establish
      some communication with his family, but one day he went to the top of a
      building and jumped off. His name was John McNaughton. I expressed my
      sympathies to this man on the loss of his friend.

      "Peaches pointed out a couple of Scientologists heading over to Market
      Street with the Stress Test tables, and I believe she saw Craig heading
      over to my home (or hers) to revenge-picket us. There was no sign of
      picketers when I returned home, and no one reported any revenge pickets to
      me, but it seems likely that Craig picketed me while I was at the org."

      #####

      > New Year's Resolution

      Scientology issued a press release this week on making New Year's
      Resolutions.

      "The poor success of such 'resolutions' seems to have evolved now to mean
      something like 'deciding to cease an imagined vice, and then quickly
      relapsing to one's previous behavior.' Why are such attempts at
      reformation often so futile? In research during the 1970's and 1980's, L.
      Ron Hubbard, best known for his Dianetics discoveries and for the applied
      religious philosophy of Scientology, isolated a key factor. He found that
      residue of harmful drugs and toxins in the body inhibited one's ability to
      think clearly and decisively even years later.

      "When residue of drugs and toxins already in the body restimulate mental
      image pictures, so too are previous thoughts and decisions activated.
      These notions and decisions from previous experiences buck right up
      against the current decision to quit. They 'short-circuit' the resolution
      or 'will power' below a person's awareness level resulting in failure to
      follow through and achieve the goal that was set. L. Ron Hubbard deduced
      that if one could remove the residuals of drugs and toxins from the body,
      then these harmful mental image pictures would not have a chance to be
      restimulated. Mr. Hubbard developed the Purification program. This is a
      simple, yet brilliant, program of exercise, nutrition, and induced
      sweating in a sauna that purifies one's body like a cool, clear stream of
      water, rendering null and void the adverse effects of the drugs and
      toxins. The result is a clearer thinking, more bright and alert
      individual.

      "More than a quarter-of-a-million people have already completed this
      program to rave results. This year, if you want your resolutions to
      stick, perhaps the first resolution might be to do the Purification
      program, and then thinking clearly, improve yourself in other areas of
      life."

      #####

      > In Memorium

      Jeff Jacobsen reported a death announcement from The Auditor.

      "Andy Simson, who was a veteran Sea Org member. 'He has been granted a 21
      year leave from the Sea Org and we look forward to his return.'

      The South County Journal reported on December 29th that a Kent area
      Scientologist has passed away.

      "Charles Lynn Sheahan of Kent died Dec. 23, 2000, in Renton. He was 60.
      Born Oct. 15, 1940, in Chicago, he moved to the Renton/Kent area in 1963.
      Mr. Sheahan retired from the Navy in 1971. He was a minister at the Church
      of Scientology in the Renton area for 10 years and worked at Family Circle
      Learning Center in Renton for 11 years as a cook. He enjoyed woodworking
      in his shop."

      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 7, 2001

        > World Trade Centers

        Rob Clark reported that Scientology is establishing new groups following
        the World Trade Centers disaster.

        "Scientology has established a new cult front group called Association for
        Peace and Understanding in the Middle East, operating under the rubric of
        ABLE, which is now attempting to recruit Middle Eastern Scientologists. It
        is meeting October 6 at 7 PM at the ABLE location on 7065 Hollywood Blvd
        in LA."

        "Claiming that only they have the tech to bring businesses back, the cult
        is planning to open a 'Hubbard College of Administration' in New York City
        and frantically recruiting cultists to man the swindle operation. The
        front group is the 'Business Relief Center,' which will basically be a
        Hubbard College of Administration. The front man for the swindle is
        Harrison Quigley."

        Scientology is promoting a new web site, which blames the attack on New
        York on the Psychiatrists.

        "A new website provides answers to the unnerving question gnawing at
        everyone's mind since the recent violent terrorist attacks on America:
        'What sort of person is capable of such evil?' Two figures who feature
        prominently in CCHR's website are psychiatrist and surgeon, Dr. Ayman
        al-Zawhariri, chief advisor and doctor to Osama bin-Laden, and Ali A.
        Mohamed, a psychologist who has trained bin-Laden's terrorist troops in
        combat and psychological warfare.

        "'Both are capable of using drugs and other mental techniques to create
        suicide-bombers convinced of the glory of sacrifice and dying,' Ms.
        Eastgate said. 'But,' she points out, 'we have been here before. For
        example, the Japanese 'kamikaze' pilots, who confounded us by suicidally
        attacking allied shipping during World War II, used psychiatric drugs
        called amphetamines to get charged up.'"

        Entertainment Tonight on October 2nd featured the opening of a new
        Scientology mission in San Francisco. Scientology celebrities at the
        opening expressed their feelings about the WTC disaster.

        "Tom Cruise, John Travolta, Kirstie Alley and other celebrities were on
        hand last Saturday to support fellow Scientologist and star Jenna Elfman
        as she established a new Scientology mission in San Francisco. But, of
        course, the prominent topic on everyone's minds was the September 11
        terrorist bombings and its aftermath relief efforts.

        "'I was asked by the firemen and the policemen to go to Ground Zero, and I
        went out of my way to be with them,' said Travolta, who was recently in
        New York City to do his part. Meeting up to 600 different workers, wives
        and firemen, John shook hands, posed for pictures, and signed helmets and
        autographs. 'I hope I cheered them up. I think I did. In any little way,
        you try.'

        "Responding to the tragedy, Elfman said, 'I think it was a planetary
        wake-up call.' Jenna, along with friends and hundreds of church
        volunteers, personally took part in the remodeling and design of the
        building dedicated to Arts for Kids, a free community service the mission
        will offer to children and their families."

        A letter to the editor of the Los Angeles Times on October 2nd praised
        Scientology's volunteer ministers in New York.

        "Scientology volunteer ministers have a long track record of helping amid
        disasters -- the L.A. quake a few years ago, the wars in Kosovo and
        Bosnia, the riots in Los Angeles, earthquakes in Taiwan, after the bombing
        of the Atlanta Olympic Games, at the Federal Building in Oklahoma, after
        the shootings at Columbine High School, and many others.

        "We have consistently helped alleviate suffering amidst devastation, and
        we always will, for the aims of the church are a world without crime,
        without insanity and without war, where the able can prosper and honest
        people can have rights. - Mary Bordeaux, Montrose"

        From letters to the editor of the St. Petersburg Times on October 3rd:

        "I am 18 years old, I live in Clearwater and I have been a Scientologist
        all my life. I got on the first bus I could to go to New York and
        volunteer. I and the other volunteers I worked with were doing anything
        we could to help the firefighters and Police Department. We would feed
        them all their meals, supply them with snacks and drinks and clothing. We
        were also in the bucket lines for hours at a time.

        "All of the agencies on the site, including the Fire Department of New
        York, the New York Police Department, FBI, CIA, Army, Navy, the Marines
        and the National Guard, were all so grateful to us. There were people on
        their knees thanking us, giving us their jackets off their backs in
        appreciation. Anyone who has a bad opinion about Scientology or
        Scientologists and has gone out of their way to publicly express it at a
        time like this reminds me of who we are dealing with in their actions
        toward America. - Adrian Austin, Clearwater

        "Pinellas County officials apparently forgot 25 years of abuse of members
        and citizens by the Scientologists when they commended the Scientology
        volunteers who recruited among the ruins of Wall Street in New York. Since
        the majority of county commissioners received generous contributions from
        the Scientology-Chamber of Commerce coalition, it was payback time.
        Whoever pays the piper calls the tune.

        "Voters are urged to examine the campaign contribution reports for elected
        county, state and local officials to understand why a few attorneys,
        builders and developers wield so much power and influence over
        commissioners and governing boards and committees. A recent ruling by the
        Pinellas County EEOC reflects bias in support of Scientologists. If the
        cult can refuse to serve any non-Scientologist, it can refuse to serve any
        citizen. This ruling must be reversed. - Gabe Cazares, Clearwater

        The Los Angeles Times reported on October 3rd that a Glendale woman
        created a mural in the New York org during the rescue effort.

        "The local artist had planned to use her training as a Scientologist to
        advise distraught rescue workers digging through the rubble at the World
        Trade Center. But she ended up leaving another legacy. Hepner created a
        vibrant American flag mural. 'We were only there for 24 hours,' Hepner
        said of her trip a week after the attacks. Working with her husband,
        Randy, and two other volunteer ministers from the Church of Scientology,
        Hepner finished the mural in about six hours. The mural was left where it
        was created, at a Scientology church a few blocks from the mass of
        crumpled steel and other materials."

        E-mails to Scientologists continue to describe efforts in New York.

        "Out of the chaos and confusion that has overwhelmed much of New York and
        the US a stable datum has arisen - 'The guys in the yellow shirts.' With
        the mobilization of VMs from all over the US in full swing we now have
        hundreds on the ground Scientology Ministers and Volunteer Ministers. At
        ground zero the VMs took charge of the facilities known as Stuyvesand
        School, which was set up as a receiving facility for those who are working
        right on the site. These included Police from New York, Chicago and
        Detroit, Immigrations Officials, Firefighters from a number of states, FBI
        Anti-Terrorist Teams, members of SWAT teams, K-9 Police Units, Search and
        Rescue, Utility Workers and emergency response teams from as far away as
        Los Angeles.

        "As the activities continues, the VMs hatted non-Scientologists on what to
        do. The VMs set up the entire food line, help line and established the
        flow lines. The non-Scientologist were brought up to cause and stated that
        they wanted to be part of the team. The especially wanted the yellow
        volunteer shirts. The nerve assists were a huge success and very popular
        with disaster relief staff. A VM who was giving assists stated, 'every
        single guy was keyed out and VGIs with the assists. They got their friends
        to get on too.

        "And what happened with the psychs who had been 'In-Charge'? Since we
        jumped in so quickly, confronted what was needed and then started
        providing it, even the psychiatrists viewed us as the leaders. So, they
        started asking us what they should do. We found some good MEST work for
        them to do, which they did, and they came up tone as they were now
        contributing.

        "Immediately after the terrorism occurred, the DSA Atlanta call the
        mayor's office to find out what they needed and wanted. She spoke with the
        Director of Community Affairs, a known terminal to us in that area. Where
        asked what was needed his immediate, no comm-lag answer was, 'THE CITY
        BLANKETED WITH THE WAY TO HAPPINESS BOOKLET.' - Peter McCuen, Supercargo
        ASHOF

        "The psychs, about 3000 of them, I was told, have showed up to be on hand
        to 'counsel' these grieving people. We don't have the manpower to properly
        deal with the scene. And yet we have the chance to make an even bigger
        impact in NY but we need help NOW! It really is an all-hands scene.
        Walk, run or drive. There is a berthing I/C who can arrange anything from
        staying with locals to hotel rooms donated by the hotels. There are many
        varied jobs that need to be done, and one quickly learns how to do the
        needed assists, Book 1 sessions, etc., if they're not hatted.

        "Anyone who can show up should just go to NY Org directly, at 46th and
        Broadway. Phone: 212-921-1210."

        The Greenwich Time reported on October 7th on Scientology's version of
        events at the New York disaster site.

        "Carol Yingling, a minister at the Church of Scientology of Connecticut,
        was walking along a street in New York recently with a friend when they
        were approached by two city firefighters. 'They saw us,' said Yingling, a
        Cheshire resident, 'and said, 'You're the volunteer ministers. We love
        those nerve massage things.' ' The technical term would be 'an assist,'
        and the people volunteering in New York through the Church of Scientology
        have been giving them to rescue workers and emergency personnel in lower
        Manhattan since Sept. 11.

        "'The idea is that there is a spiritual component to any trauma,' Yingling
        said, 'whether you're injured, exhausted or had a loss; and a body does
        not heal as readily if the spiritual component is not addressed.' A
        volunteer minister working with the Scientologists may provide either a
        touch, nerve or 'locational' assist to a person under stress. These
        assists follow Eastern techniques that release a person's energy and
        reorients them. 'It releases energy so they have more,' Yingling said.

        "'The 'loss of a person assist' is a particularly effective process for
        this situation,' said Monica Brutsche, a volunteer minister from New Haven
        who spent eight days at ground zero. 'It can give a child who has lost a
        parent the ability to face the future.'

        "The church is running a free course to teach those unfamiliar with
        Scientology the basics of volunteer ministering so they can help friends
        and family. The church says it has put into the New York community 800
        volunteer ministers since Sept. 11."

        From the Globe And Mail on October 1st:

        "On Sept. 11, a sad-eyed woman with greying, unwashed hair stood one block
        from the Broadway Firehouse on Eighth Avenue, which had lost 14 men in the
        collapse of the World Trade Center that morning, and listlessly handed out
        a pamphlet entitled The Way to Happiness. 'For you in your time of need,'
        she told passersby who accepted the brochure, published by the Church of
        Scientology."

        Keith Henson reported a protest at the Toronto org on September 30th.

        "Gregg and I were in Toronto so the org got a 35 minute picket with me 110
        feet up the street and Gregg right in front of the org. The only thing of
        any note was a citizen who brought his teen age daughter by to go inside
        the org for a class project. Gregg was more than a bit upset with the guy
        not having the slightest idea of what Scientology was about and what he
        was subjecting his daughter too. After a few minutes of bringing him up to
        date on the subject the somewhat horrified guy accepted an Xenu flyer and
        did get his daughter back. I estimate we gave out 75 flyers."

        #####

        > Search Engines

        Westword reported on October 4th that Scientology critic Lawrence
        Wollersheim has been involved in a bidding war against Scientology to get

        "Go to GoTo.com, an Internet search engine that provides 'sponsored'