    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 26, 2000

      Free A.r.s Week in Review subscriptions are available.
      Subscriptions are also available on ONElist. Email
      weekinreview-subscribe@onelist.com or see http://www.onelist.com

      > Mark Bunker

      Mark Bunker posted an update this week to his case for allegedly
      trespassing in the Scientology org in Chicago.

      "We had a hearing on a motion to dismiss the case because the cops stole
      the videotaped evidence. The judge denied that motion and set a court date
      for next February 5th. We'll have a jury trial at that time. Elliot
      Abelson came up to me after the hearing and said. 'Doesn't look good. Not
      a good sign.'"

      Jeff Jacobsen reported conditions in downtown Clearwater in the week prior
      to the annual Lisa McPherson memorial events.

      "I went to the Sandcastle to take pictures of the shelving Scientology is
      putting up along their bushes next to the sidewalk. These shelves will be
      used to place Christmas tries shoulder to shoulder to keep parishioners
      from seeing any potential picketers. I then took a few pictures of the
      half-built Winter Wonderland. Then to finish off the roll I went to the
      Super Power building. As I was taking pictures of several people going
      into the Super Power building on the south side, a Scientology security
      guy on a bike came up and asked what I was doing. 'Taking pictures.' Who
      was I taking pictures for. 'Why, is it illegal?' No. 'Are you a
      policeman?' No, but I can call them. 'OK, call the cops and tell them I'm
      taking pictures of your building. Why do you care?' Well we don't get many
      people taking pictures of our buildings. 'Well that's all I'm doing
      right?' Right."

      A Clearwater Scientologist won a 10K run in Tampa this week. From the St.
      Petersburg Times on November 19th:

      "Maybe showing up for a race five minutes before the start is not the best
      strategy, but it worked for Clearwater's Judy Maguire in the Avon
      Running-Tampa 10-kilometer (6.2 miles) event Saturday at the University of
      South Florida. Maguire, 42, is a fitness director for the Church of
      Scientology. She was eligible to win the master's division but ended up
      overall winner with a time of 36:45. The event also a was fundraiser for
      the Centre for Women, raising more than $5,600."

      A former city commissioner has offered to sell two properties in downtown
      Clearwater to Scientology. Scientology has declined the offer, according
      to the St. Petersburg Times on November 22nd.

      "Former city commissioner Fred Thomas, a longtime critic of the Church of
      Scientology, has offered to sell some of his downtown land to the church,
      a Scientology official says. But church officials won't be buying, said
      church spokesman Mike Rinder. Thomas would not confirm that he contacted
      church representatives. He did say he would consider any interested buyer,
      including Scientology -- because, he said, 'Downtown belongs to the
      Scientologists.'

      "The land in question includes the Clearwater Train Station fast-food
      restaurant, a Pinch-a-Penny pool store and Freedom Park. 'I'll sell to
      whoever gives me the money when I sell it,' Thomas said. 'When it comes
      to selling property in downtown Clearwater, the church is the downtown
      player, and 10 years from now that's the only player you'll see.' Rinder
      said the properties are not 'anything that we're interested in.' Rinder
      said Thomas contacted the church around early November to see if there was
      any interest in a purchase.

      "Thomas said it's too difficult to attract shoppers to the city's
      Scientology-dominated core. He now believes the city should focus on
      redeveloping other areas like Clearwater Beach. 'Downtown belongs to the
      Scientologists in my opinion, and it would be a waste of the taxpayers'
      money to fund any kind of redevelopment,' Thomas, 63, said. 'We're foolish
      to spend taxpayers' money so the Scientologists can have a better place to
      live.'"

      The German government this week answered questions put to id by the
      CDU/CSU party concerning Scientology. Highlights from the response:

      "The federal government denied what in its opinion was an 'imputation'
      contained in a Minor Inquiry from the CDU/CSU, that the Families Ministry
      played down the risks caused by the Scientology organization. On the
      contrary, as the federal government went on to say in its answer, their
      assessment of the Scientology organization had been presented in detail in
      the booklet, 'Die Scientology Organisation - Gefahren, Ziele und
      Praktiken' ['The Scientology Organization - Risks, Goals and Practices'].
      Specifically the objectionable and conflict-prone practices of a group
      disguised as a religious denomination had been worked out.

      "The establishment of a 'Scientology Commissioner' as requested by the
      Union for the coordination of research and containment of the SO system
      would be superfluous according to the government, because that function is
      already being fulfilled by the Interministerial Work Group on
      Scientology."

      "The federal administration has, at all levels, repeatedly expressed the
      German position on the Scientology organization to the American government
      and to the American Congress. The assertions by the Scientology
      organization to the American administration, to the Congress and to the
      American public about alleged persecution against religious minorities in
      Germany have been refuted or contradicted by facts accordingly. The
      federal administration is also taking a determined position on the
      Scientology organization at the international level.

      "According to current findings, the full-time staff in Scientology
      establishments work, as a rule, between 60 and 70 hours a week over six
      days at minimum wage. So far the use of children for Scientology's
      purposes in unheard of in Germany. Neither does the Scientology
      organization maintain any recognized schools in Germany under its own
      name. It is known, however, that the Scientology organization operates a
      school in Denmark whose children include those of German Scientologists.
      Determining violations of the law and the investigation of criminal acts
      with the associated documentation falls under the jurisdiction of the
      states who, in case they deem it necessary, could agree on establishing a
      documentation center in a state. So far the federal government has
      obtained no information about criminally relevant behavior by the
      Scientology organization.

      "In the future, the federal government intends to prevent the award of
      public contracts for consultation or training services which contain an
      internal connection to the Scientology teachings to these sort of
      corporations (WISE corporations), by requiring the corporation bidding for
      consultation or training service sign a statement that the people
      fulfilling the contract will not use, teach or otherwise disseminate the
      'technology of L. Ron Hubbard' (security clause). Should the signing of
      the security clause/statement in connection with the offer be refused, the
      bidder can be excluded from the contract.

      "The Federal Office of Security in Information Technology was requested to
      establish contact with Diskeeper's distribution company to research the
      possibility of Diskeeper containing malicious routines and clear up any
      suspicions of manipulation. The federal government operates on the
      assumption that security risks associated with Diskeeper are rather
      improbably, but could not be ruled out altogether. Investigations by
      computer experts (including in the BSI) have so far yielded no indices of
      risk (e.g., unpredictable data transmission)."

      > The Profit

      Patricia Greenway reported that Scientology's attempt to get attorney's
      fees awarded after the Totally Fun Company failed to get an injunction to
      stop the harassment of its crew.

      "During shooting of the film The Profit in Tampa, Florida, our film crew
      was exposed to the wacky, invasive, offensive cult tactics of the Scn
      front group, the Foundation for Religious Tolerance. The FARTs kept
      showing up at our soundstage and our locations handing out their smarmy DA
      flyers accusing the Director, Peter Alexander and myself (Producer) of
      being everything from KKK to Neo-Nazi's. We called the police on more
      than a few occasions. The police sent them off to a reasonable distance
      and warned them repeatedly. Our crew endured private investigators filming
      them, their cars and their tag numbers.

      "The final straw was when Mary DeMoss took it upon herself to follow a
      couple of our single female crew members to their homes. She asked them
      about the film and was told they were under strict non-disclosure
      agreements. She asked for information about 'human rights violations' and
      whether we had mistreated them. We filed a request for injunction against
      Mary deMoss We were denied our request for injunction.

      "Our hearing was this morning in front of the same judge. Moxon said that
      we had filed a frivolous suit based on our need to deprive the FARTs of
      their first amendment right to inform the crew about the evil SP's they
      were working for. Today the judge ruled after listening to Moxon's lies:
      motion denied."

      > Super Power

      The benefits of donating to the new Super Power building were posted to
      a.r.s this week.

      "1,000 dollar donations
      FLAG SUPPORTER
      Special recognition certificate.
      Super Power T-Shirt.

      "5,000 dollar donation
      FLAG ALUMNI
      Super Power T-Shirt.
      Special flag alumni jacket.

      35,000 dollar donation
      CORNERSTONE CLUB MEMBER
      40% reduction on the requested donation for Super Power auditing.
      Special validation Pin.
      Exclusive membership to the role played in putting the new flag building.

      "100,000 dollar donation
      KEY CONTRIBUTOR
      50% reduction on the requested donation for set-up auditing for super
      power and the super power rundowns in the FSO.
      Super Power Ring.

      "250,000 dollar donation
      FOUNDING MEMBER
      Priority service on the super power rundowns once released in the FSO.
      Special framed recognition certificate.
      Special recognition pin.

      "$1,000,000 dollar donation
      LEGION OF HONOR
      First in line for Super Power auditing when released in the FSO.
      Special recognition awards for this category only."

      #####

      > John Travolta

      Hollywood.com this week voted Battlefield Earth the worst movie of the year.

      "Nothing this year has banded the Hollywood.com staff closer together than
      the John Travolta sci-fi fiasco. Unanimously panned and despised, the half
      vanity project, half homage to Church of Scientology father L. Ron Hubbard
      has inspired much critical ass whipping -- from the mildly amusing 'deeply
      dumb' to the historically significant 'one of the worst movies ever made.'
      But perhaps what's more important is that the film, which cost $73 million
      to make, grossed only $21.5 million, which means that if we're lucky,
      there probably won't be a sequel in our lifetime. Or would it?"