    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 17, 2000

      Free A.r.s Week in Review subscriptions are available.
      Subscriptions are also available on ONElist. Email
      weekinreview-subscribe@onelist.com or see http://www.onelist.com
      Week in Review is archived at:

      > Mark Bunker

      Mark Bunker posted an update on the Scientologist who attacked him with a
      hammer during a video assignment in Clearwater, Florida.

      "Richard Barnard is now serving a one year jail term in Key West for
      skipping bail on a cocaine trafficking charge. He lied about his identity
      to the police at the scene and later when Sgt. Zegzdren went to do a
      follow up report. The first officer at the scene of the attack, Terrance
      Kelly, was ordered to do an investigation of the hammer incident but he
      never even asked Barnard for an I.D. When Sgt. Zegzdren arrested Barnard
      weeks later, Barnard told him that Scientology had offered to provide him
      an attorney. A friend of Barnard's also assured him that he had nothing to
      worry about since 85% of the Clearwater police force are Scientologists.
      Zegzdren told him he thought that number was a little high. Barnard was
      working for Joe Duncanson, a member of the OT Committee."

      > Clearwater

      Jeff Jacobsen reported attending a meeting of Citizens for a Better
      Clearwater, a community group in which many Scientologists participate.

      "There seemed to be quite a few Scientologists there; Bennetta Slaughter,
      Susan Cook, Mary Story, plus a few other faces I recognized. Reverend Al
      Buttnor and Mary DeMoss came in just as most people were leaving. Bennetta
      seemed to have a position of authority there. They are planning a cleanup
      day, a Food festival day, a Jazz festival, and a renovation of an alley.
      They had a schematic of the alley, a sample mural they wanted to put on
      the Coachman building wall (Scientology graciously offered to prepare the
      wall for the artist), and a plan to raise the money - sell bricks for the
      pavement (see my other post about that).

      "The plan is to make a mural on the Coachman building, put plants and
      benches in there, and tear out the asphalt and put in bricks. You can buy
      a brick, and put a message on it that will stay there forever! Right next
      to the Coachman building! 1 line of text, up to 15 spaces (includes blank
      spaces) - $35. 2 lines of text, up to 30 spaces - $45. 3 lines of text, up
      to 45 spaces - $55. Citizens for a Better Clearwater; 1811 N. Belcher Rd.
      I-2; Clearwater FL 33765. Designate the payment for Cleveland Street Alley
      Park Their phone is 727-799-1955.

      > France

      Scientology distributed a petition to its members this week to be sent to
      the French government to protest alleged mistreatment.

      "Enclosed is a petition that will go to the French government in protest
      of the bill that was passed by the National Assembly in France. Please
      sign it, put your address, and contact info, and forward a copy to
      crusade@... and then forward this petition along to anyone you
      know of any faith. Thank you for your support!

      "Sincerely, Joava Good Executive Director Foundation For Religious

      "Article 18 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights states that
      'Everyone shall have the right to freedom of thought, conscience and
      religion.' and the UN has determined that to label new and minority faiths
      as 'sects' is discriminatory. The French government is currently violating
      these principles despite the fact that it is a signatory to the Universal
      Declaration on Human Rights. We, the undersigned, men and women of diverse
      religious, ethnic and cultural background call upon the United Nations to
      investigate the oppressive actions of the French government in targeting
      minority religions and; urge that France immediately abide by the
      principles of equality and nondiscrimination so clearly laid out in the UN
      Charter, the Universal Declaration and the International Covenant on Civil
      and Political Rights."

      > Germany

      Freie Presse reported on September 11th that the promise of a prominent
      Scientologist to leave the city of Zwickau was a facade.

      "Fliegerbauer announced his pull-out from Zwickau on February 10. While
      the top Scientologist who had renovated 250 historical buildings appeared
      before the press, his staff were unscrewing the brass plates with his
      company's name on them and removing the corporation's placards. 'I will
      withdraw from all business areas of my company in Zwickau. The corporation
      will move its office to Munich. All business activities conducted by my
      person in this city are ended,' is how he worded his farewell.

      "Fliegerbauer's 'Schloss Osterstein Verwaltungs GmbH' is still on board in
      the renovation of some old town buildings. In the next several weeks, the
      controversial businessman will refurbish a string of buildings on Magazin
      Street in the heart of the city. His company is in possession of eight
      buildings there. At the same time, he has made mention of the the 'Stadt
      Zwickau' Hotel on Bahnhof Street which came into possession of his
      corporation through a mandatory auction.

      "He announced his withdrawal at the point in time in which Zwickau
      Executive Mayor Rainer Eichhorn (CDU) got pulled into the Scientology
      debate. 'I have to get away from here quick,' Fliegerbauer was saying
      everyday. Was the talk about departure only to help the mayor who was
      suddenly being put under pressure? Freie Presse had published a secret
      letter from Eichhorn to Fliegerbauer one week before. It clearly showed
      that the mayor maintained a much closer relationship to the Scientologist
      than he had previously admitted. Kurt Fliegerbauer, in the beginning of
      the year, was making negative headlines all across Germany, said Hamburg
      Scientology expert Ursula Caberta. Therefore the sect had him disappear
      from public view in Zwickau in short order so that he could continue to
      work in the city without being noticed."

      MainRheiner reported on September 13th that the SPD party has been slow to
      remove a Scientologist from its membership.

      "Birgit W. had been charged for making a false statement not under oath
      because, in a civil lawsuit, she had claimed that she had only had sexual
      intercourse with her husband. A DNA test proved, however, that the
      youngest child did not come from him. In response to that, Birgit W.
      revealed that it could have come about by necking [sic] with a stranger,
      which would make it a virgin conception. Judge Henge did not want to rule
      that out as 'the cultural history of the Christian Occident' was founded
      on that concept to a 'not inconsiderable' degree.

      "In 1996, the Frankfurt Superior State Court believed that the woman from
      Idstein, 'was operating in concert with the Scientologists' organization.'
      Birgit W. was the business manager of the Moewe Publishers in Huenstetten,
      which publishes books by Scientology authors. She was also connected with
      Horst Mehler, a Scientologist of some rank. The SPD has been surprisingly
      slow in expelling Birgit W. from the party. Two years ago she was given a
      statement to sign whereby she was to have affirmed that she had no close
      connection with the sect, said Dietrich Schnellbach. Birgit W. was
      suspended because she did not want to sign the document. A couple of days
      ago, he asked Birgit W. again to take a position on her relationship to
      Scientology, said Schnellbach. It was too late; Birgit W. wanted to leave
      the party long ago - several months after she had co-signed on a piece of
      real estate in Idstein's downtown with SPD Federal Representative

      Die Welt reported on September 14th that Rev. Thomas Gandow may sue
      Scientology for brochures distributed against him.

      "Glossy brochures from the Scientologists were distributed in the daily
      mail in Zehlendorf on the 18th of August, his birthday, of all days. In
      those brochures, Gandow was defamed as a 'Chief Inquisitor' and 'Anti-Sect
      Commissioner.' 'I regard Scientology as a menace comparable to the Nazi
      movement when it was on the rise. Both had to be stopped.' At the end of
      August, Steglitz residents found the same Scientology brochures in their
      mail boxes. At the same time, Scientology Germany, with its offices in
      Munich, has also demanded the clergyman be dismissed in a letter to State
      Bishop Wolfgang Huber.

      "The cause of the smear operation was the bestowal in June of the first
      'Alternative Charlemagne Award' by the 'European-American Citizens
      Committee for Human Rights and Religious Freedom in the USA.' to U.S.
      American Robert Minton Minton supports the family of a former
      Scientologist in the USA, Lisa McPherson. 'She was tormented for 17 days
      after she tried to leave and died as a result,' said Thomas Gandow, who
      will be holding a service on Sunday in the Luisen Church in Charlottenburg
      for Lisa McPherson. The Evangelical Church stands behind Gandow; as its
      spokesman stated, 'Information about groups which appear making religious
      claim, but which in practice apply methods which exploit human rights, is
      an indispensable component of church work.'"

      The new edition of Freiheit (Freedom) magazine in Germany announced that
      Scientology has filed a complaint against Ursula Caberta for bribery and
      money laundering. No action from German prosecutors has been reported.

      "This morning the Scientology Church filed criminal charges at the Hamburg
      State Attorney's Office against Ursula Caberta for suspicion of taking
      favors, accepting a bribe and money-laundering, as well as Robert Minton
      for suspicion of soliciting favors and bribery. A U.S. Civil Court judge
      ordered that she be deposed in the scope of a civil trial. 'Yes, I have
      accepted private money from Bob Minton, he gave be a loan.' Because Minton
      did not obtain his fortune in an honorable fashion, further charges were
      placed against Caberta for suspicion of frivolous money-laundering."

      > Keith Henson

      Keith Henson has been charged by Hemet, California prosecutors under an
      anti-terrorism law for making threats with bombs or missiles. From a
      declaration by Ken Hoden, the Scientologist in charge of Gold Base.

      "For more than a month I and the staff of Golden Era Productions have
      lived in fear that we would be attacked at any moment by either missiles
      or bombs or other incendiary devices launched at us by Keith Henson or one
      of his friends, specifically David Rice and Fredric Rice. I have reed a
      portion of a book entitled 'The Great Mumbo Chicken and the Transhuman
      Condition' which describes Henson's history of creating and setting off
      bombs of mass destruction. I have had to take extraordinary measures to
      protect members of my church and my family here at Gold's property.

      "Henson and his associates have walked down the highway and stood above
      the pedestrian tunnels as church staff walk through. To prevent Henson
      from throwing a bomb or other incendiary device on church staff, I have
      had to post staff near both tunnels. This has caused a tremendous
      disruption of our activities, but I have no choice as we all fear that at
      any moment Henson or the Rices may throw a bomb or some other form of

      Keith reported on the legal developments this week.

      "The deal was that I would go to Hemet to be arraigned on Sept. 25. Then
      Graham asked whether I might be arrested if I was out there picketing? Yes
      I would, picketing was out of the question. A lot of discussion went back
      and forth about me not being willing to let the DA's office chill my first
      amendment right to protest the killer cult and the cult's claims that they
      are 'in fear' of me being enough to invoke the law. Graham kept making the
      point that the scientologists claims of being in fear of Henson's ability
      to pull a cruise missile out of his pocket and lob it across the fence was
      not what they were really in fear of. What they truly feared were the
      words on his picket signs. The DA several times told Graham that the
      Scientologists were in constant fear of Henson by his mere presence on the
      side of the road and not whether he was carrying a cruise missile.

      "The DA commented that defendants regularly win at trial and the fact that
      they had charged the matter as misdemeanor and not a felony indicated how
      the DA viewed the case. Graham told him he was being used by the cult. The
      DA immediately made a comment that Graham might see thing differently when
      he sobered up. That make it clear this guy had dead agent material from
      the cult as to whom Graham was. Graham was most indignant because it has
      been 18 months since he has had any alcohol. Both then apologized."

      Keith described the arraignment hearing.

      "On Graham's advice, I ask the arraignment to be continued for ten days.
      The young sleek DA at the table says that's ok with him, but he wants a
      restraining order to keep me 300 yards from the cult's compound and away
      from this list of people. At first, the judge says that's wider than the
      road, how can he keep me off a public road? The DA insists, says I can go
      some other way, and the judge gives in. I ask specifically if this means I
      cannot exercise my first Amendment right to picket out at gold and he
      verifies this, if I don't like it I will be arrested and arraigned on the
      spot. Last I ask if this would apply to my wife picketing gold. He states
      that my wife is not the subject of this hearing, but says it in a tone of
      voice that indicates he is baffled by such a possibility. Ken Hoden
      (looking unhappy) leaves. I think he was expecting an arrest warrant would
      be issued so they could get me arrested out by gold base.

      "I complain that another scientologist, Glenn Barton obtained a RO, chased
      me and had the cops and his goons citizen-arrest me for violating the
      order. I don't know what these people look like, I would not know who they
      were if I were in a bank line with them! The judge can't believe anyone
      would play such game with the legal system, but he does say I would have a
      good defense if one of them did it. Well, I hope I made enough of an
      impression that this judge will get steamed at them if the pull a 'Barton'
      on me."

      The Riverside Press-Enterprise published an article on Keith's protests
      and charges on September 16th.

      "A frequent critic of the Church of Scientology has been charged with
      making terrorist threats against the group on the Internet and at its San
      Jacinto facilities. Prosecutors allege Palo Alto resident Keith Henson,
      58, made the threats against the church earlier this year on an
      anti-Scientology Internet site, then made threatening statements overheard
      by a security guard while picketing at the church's Golden Era Productions
      facility on Gilman Springs Road. Henson faces up to a year in county jail
      if he is convicted of the misdemeanor charge.

      "Henson, who has picketed Golden Era and other Scientology facilities
      across the nation, resumed picketing at the San Jacinto facility in May
      after a 16-year-old girl was killed in a road collision with a tractor
      that was doing work for the studio. A month later, a 20-year-old woman
      working for Golden Era was electrocuted when she slipped in an underground
      vault at the facility. Authorities ruled the death an accident. Henson
      said he believes Scientology is responsible for the accidents."

      Keith also reported developments in his bankruptcy case this week.

      "Scientology is trying to convert it from chapter 13 to chapter 7 If I
      lose my house in Palo Alto due to going into Chapter 7 bankruptcy, I would
      have to live elsewhere. Hemet seems like it would be a good place to
      live. The judge asked that they consider some kind of settlement, and
      commented on the number of lawyers. It seems to be clear to him that this
      is case of Scientology using the courts to punish someone for an act that
      was rooted in warning the public about the cult's medical malpractice

      "I went right from court to the airport, because of the hearing the next
      morning I had for a protective order in the Hurtado case. Helena started
      out by saying that this case had nothing to do with Scientology. She then
      stated that I had copied material from another case where they had
      corrected a citation. Eventually the judge cut her off and told her she
      was repeating what was in here papers. He made it clear that I could not
      give any admissible testimony regarding Graham's professional performance
      in connection with other clients. The judge was surprised that not only
      the cult refused to limit its deposition as suggested but now insisted on
      a retired judge as referee in all forthcoming depositions. They were
      upset that Graham's lawyer has taken 10 depositions and they have only
      taken four. The Judge made it clear that he would not permit discovery to
      proceed based on Kobrin trying to exceed the number of depositions taken
      by Graham's attorney. He ordered the appointment of a referee and made it
      clear that if Kobrin and Petunia were back in court again in connection
      with the Henson deposition, he might consider sanctioning them for their
      conduct and reminded them that he had made similar comments to Mr. Moxon
      before he vanished from this case and about Mr. Moxon's objectivity in
      this matter."

      > Stephen Kent

      A letter from Scientologist Deborah Jurt on May 10th to administrators of
      the University of Alberta was posted this week, in which she complains
      about Dr. Stephen Kent.

      "Professor Kent was in Germany again this year meeting with the media and
      continuing to foment intolerance against Scientology in Germany. Most
      recently in the Lisa mcPherson court case in Clearwater, Florida, Stephen
      Kent filed an affidavit with the courts to appear as a witness on this
      case. Professor Kent states on page 13 that 'Scientology is not for all
      purposes a religion, since key components of Hubbard's writings addressed
      secular issues.' In November of 1999, Stephen Kent filed an affidavit for
      the plaintiff in the case of Animal Medical Centre and provides his
      'expert' testimony regarding the Church of Scientology. On the first page
      Professor Kent states that he 'will identify religious elements in what is
      supposed to be secular learning material.'

      "What is most shocking is the huge sums of money that Stephen Kent charged
      for this 'expertise'. For the last affidavit he charged $200 per hour
      (U.S) for 109 hours. This is US $21,600. On the Lisa McPherson affidavit
      he charged 55 hours at $200 an hour - US $11,000."

      From the reply by Doug Owram, Vice President of the University and

      "At a University, academic freedom is a principle that is strongly valued.
      As a faculty member at the University of Alberta, Dr. Kent is free to
      pursue a legitimate research subject. Responsibilities for faculty members
      include participation in research and the dissemination of the results of
      the research by means appropriate to the discipline. In addition, faculty
      members are responsible to provide services in the members' discipline and
      the disseminate knowledge to the general public by making expertise and
      knowledge available. I must also add that faculty members are entitled to
      pursue supplementary professional activities and receive the appropriate
      remuneration for the professional activities."

      > Lisa McPherson Trust

      Stacy Brooks and Greg Barnes appeared on a cable TV talk show this week to
      refute charges made on a previous show by Scientology against the Lisa
      McPherson Trust.

      "It is a local show for Time Warner cable viewers only, that will air 6
      times during the next week. The first airing was 7:30 p.m. E last night.
      The interviewer, Syl Farrell, invited Stacy and Greg do a similar show for
      his other talk show on a PBS station that is not dependent on what cable
      company you use, and is aired in 17 counties. Syl also talked to Stacy
      and I about a future show that deals more specifically with the LMT and
      Lisa's story."

      > Tom Padgett

      Tom Padgett was released from a Kentucky jail this week. He had been
      convicted of failure to pay child support, a charge that proved to be not

      "On Monday, September 11th, Mike Ruschell presented exculpatory evidence
      in the Hopkins County Court that proved Padgett was innocent of recent
      charges against him by his Scientologist ex-wife. Investigations into the
      handling of child support checks for Kentucky Support Collection Unit in
      Lexington found that while the checks had cleared the bank a while ago,
      they were (mysteriously) missing as a result of an error from a processing
      clerk. Padgett's family and friends in Massachusetts believe this was
      deliberate and a result of covert tampering.

      "The judge and local prosecutor tried to have Padgett promise not to
      appeal any pending civil court matters to higher courts. Tom refused to
      sign these under the threat of coercion, as they replete with falsehoods
      and misleading statements Padgett was sent back to solitary confinement
      cell for the evening to 'think about it.' The cell had no bed, blankets,
      or toilet paper. He was only given a 3' X 6' thin plastic mat to sit or
      sleep on. The next day Padgett was brought back to a grand jury room where
      more efforts were made to have him sign agreements drafted by Laura
      Padgett's private civil attorney. Tom would not sign them. He was marched
      out in court handcuffed in a striped jail uniform and stood before the
      bench. The judge ruled they could no longer retain him in custody because
      of the new evidence alleged to be 'just a simple mix up!' However, it was
      ordered that yet another evidentiary hearing was scheduled on October 2,
      2000 to decide if a felony label shall remain with Padgett the remainder
      of his life, or if the charges should be reduced to a misdemeanor plea and
      dismissed and expunged from the record.

      "Padgett's family members and friends back in Cape Cod, MA, collected
      enough money to 'pre-pay' all child support until his son reached 18 years
      old and graduated from high school."

      > Protest Summary

      "Android Cat" and Gregg Hagglund reported a protest in Toronto this week.

      "Three picketers - Gregg, Nan, and myself. I handed out over a hundred
      'Human Costs' / '$cientology Costs a Mint' Gregg and Nan did more of 'The
      Story of Xenu' and something else. I arrived just before 10am. First up
      to bat for $cientology on the morning roster were Brian, Andy and Dan.
      Brian and Andy tried the 'why are you here?' question on me, while Dan
      concentrated on Gregg (same question). Brian tried the 'I have never lied
      to you before' tactic to claim that he wasn't OSA, nobody in Toronto was
      OSA, in fact.

      "Just before we broke for lunch, Nan showed up. She pickets like five and
      since she is under a restraining order to not talk about $cientology,
      there's still lots that I don't know. After lunch, Nan picketed for at
      least an hour."

      "It's the Toronto Film Festival this week so I arrived early downtown so
      as to distribute flyers to moviegoers standing in line two blocks north of
      the bOrg. I did 100 flyers in about 10 minutes. I kept saying 'Get your
      cult protest flyers'. I was carrying my 'Scientology Dangerous UFO Cult'
      picket sign.

      The Police Officer the Co$ are forced to hire for the day was soft spoken,
      polite and very firm. He did not want any shenanigans and was pleased to
      read a copy of our Picketers Advisory. He took the time to let the OSA
      GoonSquad know flyer snatching, shoving etc would not be tolerated. Dirty
      Dan kept standing beside me and in the centre of the sidewalk trying to
      keep between me and the passersby, so as to make distributing my RX
      Special Flyers more difficult. When I would switch sides of the sidewalk,
      DirtyDan would again move to the centre and block me, talking all the
      time. Suddenly I started to slowly walk around DirtyDan. He stayed in the
      centre of the sidewalk and turned to face me. Except I kept moving around
      him, so he kept turning. I slowly increased by pace and about the fourth
      time I had walked a circle around him, with him pivoting ever faster to
      face me and yammering away, he complained I was spinning. DirtyDan even
      tried screaming in my ear to get my attention.

      "OSA Goonette Paulette chanting 'Wife Beater Child Molester' over and over
      while holding her fist an inch from my mouth for a good 5 minutes
      certainly made her appear to one observer as 'a certifiable whacko.'
      DirtyDan also tried a little physical stuff with me. Again when the cop
      had stepped away for a soda, DirtyDan and AndyShill double teamed me which
      resulted in DirtyDan chest butting me when I tried to escape them.

      "My son called me in the early afternoon to tell me two bedraggled OSA
      Goonettes and a sickly beagle were Revenge Picketing at our suburban
      Oakville house. The Goonettes assigned the job today had to contend with a
      10 foot by 3 foot banner I had hung 8 feet off the ground at the end of my
      driveway. The banner read: MEMBERS OF OUR FAMILY ARE BEING MALICIOUSLY
      'SCIENTOLOGY.' The Goonettes stayed for about 15 minutes until the local
      children apparently started to heckle them."

      "Barb" reported a stealth protest in San Diego this week.

      "I printed up a load of 'Cult in Your Neighborhood?' and 'Xenu' fliers at
      Kinko's, and started wandering around downtown. Sometimes nobody seems
      interested in talking to us, other times, we can't even walk a block
      without speaking to several people at a time. This was one of those times;
      everybody seemed to want to discuss the cult! One fellow saw our shirts
      and chatted with us a bit. A friend of his had some articles about
      Scientology published in Germany, and has been harassed by the cult ever
      since. He took a couple of our fliers, and seemed pretty knowledgeable
      about Scientology. I guess when you're friends with Frank Oliver, you
      can't help but pick this stuff up! We gave out 45 of our 50 fliers to the

      "Sunday morning, I printed up 500 more fliers and went out around 5 pm. I
      encountered a group of buskers on a street corner outside the Street Scene
      gates; two pipers and drum. They all took fliers for later. I just stood
      around in my Kills T-shirt, enjoying the music. Conversation is impossible
      when the pipes are blowing, so I held a sheaf of fliers and handed them to
      people. I gave out 300+."

      Gregg Hagglund reported that Bob Minton was assaulted during a protest at
      the Fort Harrison Hotel in Clearwater this week.

      "Bob Minton was beset upon at a picket at the Ft Harrison this evening.
      The apparent attacker was Joe Neal. Police seized security camera video
      showing the attack by Neal. Bob was thrown to the ground by Neal who then
      continued the assault. Bob was rescued by other members of his party. The
      extent of Bob's injuries are not available at this time."

      From Tory Bezazian:

      "As far as the cops, it was pathetic. They came and talked to the C of S
      for about an hour while we demonstrated. They interviewed Randy and Anita
      and were supposed to interview Jeff and I, but instead just drove off.
      They then went over to LMT to talk to Bob and Stacy, and were there all of
      about 10-15 minutes."

      Bruce Pettycrew protested in Mesa, Arizona this week.

      "Kathy and I picketed from 9:15 to 10:30 this morning, with the
      temperature over 100 when we finished. There were only four cars in the
      mi$$ion parking lot when we started, and no change by the time we left.
      We still got a good number of honks and thumbs-up signs. Two people
      stopped to talk about the picket: One middle-aged man walked with me for
      over 20 minutes and asked questions about the cult and why we were putting
      in the time in the heat."

      Keith Henson was prohibited from protesting at Gold Base, but protested in
      downtown Hemet instead.

      "I was able to go through roughly 50 flyers an hour. At least a dozen
      people asked if I was the guy in the paper or mentioned the story. Several
      who got flyers asked what they could do. I got snippets of stories, such
      as one woman saying the cult got her brother put in jail for 6 years when
      he was 16. There must be thousands of such stories if someone had
      resources to collect them.

      "Graham decided to have another go at Gold. The rest of the picketers were
      on other missions or taking naps so Graham and I set off. He dropped me
      near State and Florida at a copy shop I have used before. The guy who runs
      it said the PIs came in and wanted to know what connection he had with me.
      He told them (just making copies for me!) but the experience sure left an
      impression. He had taken my stories of the PIs with just a grain of salt,
      but now says if anything I understate the matter."

      > Ritalin

      Attorney and Scientologist John Coale is among a group of lawyers planning
      a class action lawsuit against Novartis, the manufacturer of Ritalin. From
      the New York Times on September 14th:

      "The lawsuits, filed in federal courts in California and New Jersey, say
      the Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation, the drug's manufacturer, and the
      American Psychiatric Association, a professional group, conspired to
      create a market for Ritalin and expand its use. For more than a decade,
      Ritalin has been increasingly prescribed for children in whom attention
      deficit disorder or attention deficit hyperactivity disorder has been

      "The psychiatric association called the accusations in the Texas suit
      'groundless' and an 'opportunistic attack on the scientific process that
      underlies this effort.' One of those bringing the latest lawsuits is
      Richard Scruggs, a lawyer from Pascagoula, Miss., who represented dozens
      of states in actions brought in recent years against cigarette makers.
      John Coale, a Washington lawyer who is also involved in the Ritalin
      lawsuits, said the litigation was brought because Novartis and the
      psychiatric group promoted the idea that many children had attention
      deficit order and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder as a way of
      expanding the market for the drug. 'They were giving this stuff away like
      candy,' Mr. Coale said."

      > Sweden

      "Essle" reported that a Scientology-affiliated school is being approved in
      Gottenburg, Sweden.

      "The local city commissioners in Gothenburg have OK-ed some twenty
      applications to start private (but publicly financed) schools, among them
      one that is supposed to use Applied Scholastics. The final decision will
      be made by the National School Authority."