    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 20, 2000

      Free A.r.s Week in Review subscriptions are available.
      Subscriptions are also available on ONElist. Email
      weekinreview-subscribe@onelist.com or see http://www.onelist.com

      > Greg and Debra Barnes

      Stacy Brooks reported this week that Greg and Debra Barnes have received a
      refund of their membership fees in the International Association of
      Scientologists.

      "After they were declared, the Barnes wrote a letter to the IAS, which is
      the International Association of Scientologists, asking for their money
      back. They had both paid for lifetime memberships, a total of more than
      $40,000."

      From a letter to the IAS:

      "The IAS is an enforced membership that if anyone is to do services as
      long as we did and went as 'OT' as we did you have to become members. The
      additional donations are harassed out of you with alarming tales of the
      tech being 'attacked' or needed 'publications' to alert the populace of
      the dangers of what ever the flavor of the month dangerous environment you
      guys dream up is. We gave to your organization based upon the false
      reports by your representatives of the German Scientologists being
      persecuted by ex-Nazi Psychiatrists, when in actuality according to all
      the German Scientologists I spoke with at the Sand Castle, it was the
      financial irregularities and out 2-D activities of org executives in
      Germany as well as poor results, that created the attacks, which your
      representatives failed to mention conveniently.

      "We gave to your organization without knowing of Fair Game still being
      practiced by the GO...oops we meant OSA. We gave to your organization
      without knowing that Mike Rinder's opinion of spiritual sustenance was
      holding my friend [Lisa McPherson] down and forcing a concoction of
      illegally obtained drugs down her throat. Evidently you guys found some
      other lost tech that we did not know about. The fact that orgs in
      Germany, France, Russia and Spain are on life support and the fact that
      the 'Church of Scientology' is on the way out in Europe is evidence of
      your hat not being worn regarding protecting Scientology. Some how I do
      not think that LRH envisioned your actions or inaction as the 'Aims of
      Scientology' he was talking about.

      "I would think that an organization of such an 'ethical purity' with such
      a crusade for 'Total Freedom' would be insulted to want to keep the money
      of such people who think of you as we do. I would think that you would be
      glad to be free of the funds we gave you and wash your pure hands of our
      despicable association."

      The Barnes received their refund after signing a waiver document.

      "That we, our heirs, our successors, representatives, agents, employees,
      attorneys and assigns release and forever discharge the International
      Association of Scientologists, IAS Administrations, and their respective
      successors, agents, officers, directors, divisions, shareholders,
      trustees, fundraisers and employees from any and all claims, damages,
      causes of action of any kind which we now have or may hereafter have, from
      the beginning of time, to and including the effective date of this
      release."

      From Debra Barnes:

      "We have $32K in unused services from Flag. In the most recent
      release/wavier that they want us to sign before disbursing this money we
      would have to give up all rights to any future claims we may have. We
      object to this due to the evidence that in the past, the church cranks up
      its fair game machine after people have signed this type of release
      leaving you with no legal recourse. The big question is 'why won' they do
      a simple release like the IAS release we signed?' If they would quite
      breaking the law and harming people there would be no claims to be made.
      I don't think they get it - so I guess we will have to drive our point
      home with a picket. WISE, who ripped us off of $1000 has finally agreed to
      pay when we threatened them with small claims court. Check has not been
      received as of yet. Also, the SuperPower Building Project was just sent a
      letter requesting our $85 back - I wonder what kind of release they will
      want for this small amount."

      Jeff Jacobsen spoke before Clearwater's City Council this week.

      "I didn't know how far Scientology's influence has spread in this
      community just from visiting once a year. But I've seen the influence now.
      Scientology gets away scot-free after the death of Lisa McPherson, while
      critics of Scientology are enjoined from even walking on certain sidewalks
      in Clearwater. A Scientologist hits a critic's video camera with a hammer
      and the police do nothing. A picketer is assaulted not once but twice by a
      Scientologist, and despite the assaults being on video tape from different
      angles, the Scientologist is not arrested.

      "Just a few weeks ago a German official from Hamburg came to town. I was
      at the airport when about 30 Scientologists greeted her with shouts of
      'Nazi Go Home!' and attempted to manhandle her. I was there when the
      Scientology attorney came demanding that she be deposed in a case she has
      nothing to do with at the exact time she had already scheduled a news
      conference. Ms. Ursula Caberta has gone home after having been viciously
      treated by Scientology, and let me assure you that the European media,
      starting with Der Spiegel, have already begun to paint Clearwater as
      German-hating and nuts. I suspect you are going to be seeing fewer German
      tourists around here now, thanks to the actions of Scientologists. Maybe
      when Europe's tourists boycott our wonderful community, the hit in your
      pocketbooks might wake you up to reality."

      #####

      > IRS

      Forbes magazine published an article on a Los Angeles man's quest to have
      the same tax deductions as a Scientologist.

      "Los Angeles accountant Michael Sklar was shelling out $24,000 a year to
      send his four children to Jewish day schools in 1994 when a four-line
      Internal Revenue Service ruling caught his eye. The November 1993 edict
      declared 'obsoleted' the IRS' 1978 ruling barring members of the Church of
      Scientology from deducting the 'fixed donations' they paid for religious
      education and 'auditing'. The Orthodox Jew decided to write off 55% of his
      tuition bills, based on the proportion of time his children's schools said
      was spent on religious courses.

      "In April U.S. Tax Court Special Trial Judge Larry L. Nameroff ruled that
      Sklar hadn't shown he was in the same position as members of the Church of
      Scientology. He was denied all his religious-education deductions,
      including the $75 he paid for a special after-school class in the Talmud.
      Sklar is appealing. Former IRS commissioner Sheldon S. Cohen doesn't give
      him much chance, in part because his kids went to a school that mixed
      religious and secular education. But the case does point out a glaring
      inequity that has existed since 1993, when the IRS cut a controversial
      deal with the Church of Scientology.

      "'The IRS realizes that giving in to Scientology was a mistake, and they
      don't want to extend that mistake,' says former IRS commissioner Donald C.
      Alexander. 'The result is most taxpayers are unfairly treated.' 'My main
      concern is to get equal treatment,' says Sklar, who adds he has no beef
      with Scientologists. Cohen argues that taxpayers who send their children
      to purely religious after-school training can rightfully claim the
      deduction in light of the IRS' deal with Scientology. For now,
      non-Scientologists who want to deduct religious studies just have to pray
      that Cohen is right. Or convert."

      #####

      > Keith Henson

      Keith Henson reported this week that Scientology is trying to get his
      house as part of his copyright violations judgment.

      "Last night a process server came to my door with mess of paper which
      measured real close to 6 inches thick. It was a 25 page motion to dismiss
      or convert my bankruptcy to chapter 7, which would force the sale of my
      house and leave me with no point in working because Co$ could take every
      penny I make."

      #####

      > Used Clothing

      The Los Angeles Times reported on August 18th that Scientology donated
      used clothing to a nursing home.

      "Eight bags stuffed full of clothes were delivered to the New Vista
      Nursing and Rehabilitation Center in Sunland. Clothing was gathered and
      donated by members of the Women's Auxiliary of the Church of Scientology
      to fulfill part of the wish list given them by the center. 'We're glad to
      have the opportunity to give something back to these people, who have all
      been productive, contributing citizens,' said Flavia Taylor, executive
      director of the Church of Scientology Mission of the Foothills in
      Montrose."

      #####

      > Lisa McPherson Trust

      Stacy Brooks reported some of the cases the Lisa McPherson Trust has been
      involved in recently.

      "Recently we helped a woman get out of Scientology. She took her child
      with her, a child who at a very young age had already been recruited into
      the Sea Org. The woman's mother has been in the Sea Org for a long time.
      She came to the woman's house, extremely upset that the woman had left but
      particularly upset that she had taken her child out of the Sea Org. Then
      the woman's mother pulled the child aside and in all seriousness urged the
      child to file for legal emancipation from the parents so that the child,
      who is underage, could go back into the Sea Org. I asked the woman to fax
      me a copy of the tape excerpt her mother had given her.

      "'The GE is a family man; the GE is lost without a family. It's very
      strange, but Homo sap is a family unit. The GE is built on that basis.
      It's not important to know it but a lot of your urges toward families and
      so forth are not thetan urges at all, they're the GE. And you get your GE
      surviving best and being loused up the most because of interfamily
      relationships. And your thetan, by the way, can much more easily go into a
      group. Families are not good groups; they're bad groups.'

      "The Genetic Entity is the part of a person that is still tied to the
      universe of Matter, Energy, Space and Time that we will leave behind when
      we are able to become stably exterior with full perceptics. Obviously,
      for someone who has it in their head that they are trying to leave the
      MEST Universe behind, the Genetic Entity is something from which one would
      have to distance oneself. In fact, there is an insulting slang term in
      Scientology for someone who is too much into their body, or too much into
      their family. A person like that is considered to be 'stuck in the GE.'
      When LRH said in the tape excerpt was that anyone who puts any importance
      on the family is going in a direction toward MEST, not Theta. That is an
      out-ethics thing to do.

      "Recently a woman contacted the LMT for help. She and her husband had two
      beautiful teenage children. By the time she spoke to me, her husband had
      gotten them nearly $100,000 in debt. He wanted a divorce because she
      didn't want to be a Scientologist. He refused to speak to either of this
      children because they didn't want to be Scientologists. When she begged
      him to speak to someone with a different point of view about Scientology
      he told her he would disappear and never contact her again if she ever
      tried to put him in contact with someone critical of Scientology. She and
      her children are heartbroken over the loss of a man who was once a
      wonderful husband and father.

      "Another woman contacted the LMT recently about her sister, who has just
      joined the Sea Org. The sister has two children. Now that she is in the
      Sea Org, the children have been sent to the Sea Org children's ranch north
      of Los Angeles. They never get to see their mother. They have been
      sneaking phone calls to their aunt, tearfully asking their aunt why their
      mother doesn't love them any more. The mother, meanwhile, fully believes
      that her children are a distraction from her production and that it is
      necessary to separate from them so that she can realize her full
      potential.

      "The most hopeful thing of all at the LMT is that we are getting calls
      every day from Scientologists who are making the decision to embrace their
      Constitutional rights of freedom of speech, freedom of thought and freedom
      of association. They are going on the internet despite orders from the
      Organization not to. They are regaining their powers of critical thought
      and deciding for themselves which parts of Scientology they want to
      embrace. And they are beginning to rebuild their own shattered lives and
      broken families."

      #####

      > Tom Padgett

      Mike Gormez posted an update on Tom Padgett, in a Kentucky jail as a
      result of a family court case with his wife, who is still a Scientologist.

      "Tom is still in jail. He has to go back next Tuesday the 22nd for
      sentencing. The rumor is that the other side wants to come to a
      settlement, but that remains to be seen. The money was there yesterday to
      pay for the minor child's future child support, but that was not what the
      court wanted. They apparently said that Tom did not live up to his
      diversion plea."

      "He wants to thank everyone for the letters and clothing, which is really
      coming in handy. He is being held on a 50,000 bail in maximum security."

      #####

      > Protest / Revenge Summary

      Brent Stone reported a protest at Gold Base this week.

      "Today I had the chance to stroll down Highway 79 just outside Hemet
      again, along with Keith and our two pull-toys Ed and Frank. It started out
      like any other day of a nice walk in the desert, with a deserted prison
      encampment all around us, razor wire facing inward, armed guards, and
      security cameras everywhere.

      "My son was off on a camping trip, and my other roommate decided to leave
      my house unattended. Knowing that the 'church' would probably be pulling
      another illegal picket of my residence, I was a bit worried. I mentioned
      to Ida that I had not slept well, and told her of my worries. When we got
      to the fortress, we were greeted with the normal abuse and wild
      accusations of our criminal and immoral characters. First Frank started
      asking me how my house in San Jose was. Then he asked me why I couldn't
      sleep last night. Later on, Ed took up the questioning; did you sleep well
      last night, Mr. Stone? Where is your son? Is your house OK down there in
      San Jose? How long would it take you to drive from here to San Jose,
      several hours? It's a nice day for burning, isn't it?

      "I decided to call some people in San Jose, and went to talk to Keith.
      They would not let us talk in private, and insisted on putting their video
      camera about two feet from my face. We went to the car to talk, while they
      filmed, and were told by Frank that their expert lip reader would be
      analyzing the tape. They seemed very pleased to have found a 'button'.
      Unfortunately, this 'button' only works once, since I have taken
      corrective actions."

      "The funniest part of their picketing my home last time was the new
      'button' they got out of it. The poor scared kid they sent out gave my son
      one of their 'religious bigot' flyers. My son made a comment something
      like 'Sure, my dad's a religious bigot'. Sarcasm as we know goes way over
      the heads of certain nut-cultists, so now I get grilled about 'my
      relationship with my son' who 'thinks I'm a religious bigot' all the time.
      It gets really funny listening to poor Ed, all 'concerned' about how my
      son feels about me."

      Keith Henson reported some of the conversation with the thugs at a Gold
      Base protest.

      "Thugs Edwin Richardson and Frank Petty 'interviewing' me while I picket
      the scientology base North of Hemet California.

      "'Mr. Minton supplying you with ... in exchange for possibly paying for
      the college education? How much is a college education right now at one of
      the colleges? Strictly as a question, any money put in some account for
      Amber that should have been declared to the bankruptcy court? Is Mr.
      Minton supplying money to pay for the college education? Would that be
      part of his exchange for your exercising your first alleged first
      amendment right? I've got a tape going here. would you grant me permission
      to interview Amber. Would your wife so to consent?

      "'What would make you feel safer for her? How about security over at the
      college? She involved in molestation? What would she have to say about
      that? What dorm is she staying in? Did she choose that university or did
      you. Amber going to do work study? Or are you going to have her come out
      with you and picket on the weekends? And Minton can pay both of you. Do
      you know where Amber is going to be in three days? Did you perform incest
      acts with Amber? Do you molest Amber?"

      "'I would think it would be a lot easier instead of a deposition if that
      makes you more comfortable rather than an interview by an investigator.
      Do you think she would have something good to tell the court? Do you
      think the bankruptcy court would be interested in taking a deposition of
      Amber? Think Berry would help you out in deposition? Does she know
      anything about the request for 5 million dollars?'"

      Keith also protested in San Jose this week.

      "I was in San Jose today so the Los Gatos org over on Bascom and the
      Steven's creek org on Rosemary got token pickets of 10 and 15 minutes. Los
      Gatos was in hiding mode because they shut the blind to keep from seeing
      me. I think there might have been only one person in today at 11:40."

      Kristi Wachter reported revenge picketing for her participation in
      protests at the San Francisco org.

      "A neighbor mentioned that Craig had been by over the weekend for another
      revenge picket. My neighbor said it was just him and his sign. As I
      understand it, the purpose of Craig's pickets is to get me to stop
      protesting Scientology. If that's the case, I would think it would behoove
      him to make sure I know when he comes by. If it weren't for this
      neighbor's offhand comment, I would never have known Craig had visited."

      "Barb" and David Rice protested in San Diego this week.

      "This was very low-key, shydavid and I only gave out 4 fliers. The first
      recipient commented on our 'Kills' T-shirts, and explained that he was a
      nondenominational, non-prosyletizing Christian. 'I thought everyone in
      California was a Scientologist,' he told us. We assured him that this is
      certainly not the case, and gave him copies of the Xenu and 'Cult in your
      neighborhood?' fliers, and told him to spread the word.

      "An older Czech gentleman pointed out that from his perspective, we could
      have been high echelon Scientologists promoting our cult by using the
      slang 'Kills' as a positive message, as in the use of the word 'Killer.'
      'That was a killer wave!'"

      John Ritson protested in London this week.

      "I joined two other suppressives (each armed with an inflatable alien) for
      a couple of hours leafleting, picketing and slogan-shouting outside the
      Tottenham Court Road 'Org'. We definitely controlled the situation, with
      only the occasional miserable-looking Scientologist (plus a small girl)
      pushed out to hand out copies of 'Freedom'. The local street-cleaner came
      past with his bin containing plenty of 'Freedom's but none of our
      leaflets. Complete support from the passers-by. Hardly any traffic into
      the 'Org' apart from the half-a-dozen known Scientologists. This was the
      third successive week on which there have been mini-pickets at Tottenham
      Court Road."

      "Ethercat" and "Mad Cow" protested in Atlanta this week.

      "Aug. 19, 2000, 10:30 am till Noon. Wynot and I arrived a little before
      10:30 with our flyers, signs, videocamera, cheapo digital camera, and some
      top secret equipment. After a few minutes, Mad Cow arrived. Ox was
      expected at 11, but was a few minutes early. The org has installed a box
      for pamphlets by the sidewalk with copies of the 'What is Scientology?'
      brochure. I guess this must be their only method of body routing since
      they moved from downtown, now that there's no foot traffic past the org.
      There is a very large 'NOW HIRING' sign hanging below the regular co$
      sign.

      "Chad from the Associated Press arrived right on schedule, bringing a
      photographer with him. As we picketed, he spoke with each of us about our
      reasons for picketing. We gave him our individual personal reasons, our
      flyers, and a list of DeKalb Co. and Georgia ordinances which have been
      broken by co$ as we picketed. We told him about the illegal revenge picket
      at my house. After Susan arrived around 11:30, Chad spoke with her for a
      few minutes, told me he'd let us know when the article comes out, and then
      the two journalists left.

      "Susan showed great concern for our well being in the heat, asking if we
      would be leaving soon and if we were drinking plenty of water. I told her,
      that yes, we would be leaving soon, that we couldn't let them think their
      OTs had killed us with a thought. She said, 'Oh, no, we wouldn't want
      that!' A guy in a pickup truck asked us why we thought L.Ron Hubbard was a
      liar. Since the light had changed, we handed him a flyer pack, and then
      another car rolled down the window to ask for flyers.

      "One of our previous picketers has agreed, at X-Friend's request, to not
      picket anymore. This is contingent on her and her family not being
      harassed by co$. I am saddened, but I understand her position. Her
      husband, also a previous picketer with us, is not in good health at this
      time, and neither of them need the additional stress. However, she still
      holds her own opinions, and has not made any agreements to quit talking."

      "During the picket we counted around 127 or so positive responses from the
      public at large. No handlers came out to handle us. A youngish guy
      walked up to us to ask about the picket. I think he came out of the org
      but I'm not sure. We gave him the usual info and a URL card. He then
      turned and shuffled into the org. A lady walked up to ask about the cult.
      She mentioned she was a Christian, so I gave her the 'There was no Christ'
      quote. She was aghast. They won't get any money out of her. Flyer pack and
      URL card for her."

      Mark Bunker and Jeff Jacobsen reported a protest at the Bank building in
      Clearwater.

      "I was saddened to see the reaction of the Clearwater Police Department.
      At one point, a Scientologist jammed his forehead into my camera and was
      pressing on the camera lens. I asked him to stop touching the camera. When
      I got a chance I went over to the team of police and spoke to a Sgt. and
      asked him if he could just ask the Scientologists not to touch the cameras
      or the people picketing. He told me 'I was watching the whole thing. Looks
      like you were blocking the sidewalk and not permitting them to pass.' All
      I expected and felt was reasonable was to have an officer say 'Please
      don't touch one another. Thank you for your cooperation.' When a large
      chunk of the Clearwater police force is on the Scientology payroll, this
      appears to be an unreasonable request.

      "Tonight 7 of us picketed the bank building in Clearwater. As usually
      happens now, about 10 minutes after we started our handlers appeared.
      The general tone was mild confrontation by the Scientologists. The main
      points this time were that we are in tax trouble, that Jesse is a criminal
      and we should be doing something about that, and the ever present 'how
      much do you make?' Every time now I try to say that I'm willing to have a
      conversation but not willing to simply take hammering from abusive people.
      So one woman and I had a reasonably nice conversation. Doyle and I were
      doing ok when some short guy with a crew cut came and talked to Doyle, and
      Doyle simply left in mid-conversation! I saw the same guy go over to Hans
      so I told Hans 'you're about to be told to leave' which he denied. But
      sure enough all the rest of our handlers then left too.

      "Ian Schillington was trying to argue that the Scientologists were
      perfectly within their rights to act like they did at the Mad Picket
      because they were upset at what we were doing. He wasn't impressed by my
      question of what Salvation Army members would do if they were picketed."

      #####

      > Scotland

      The Scotland Daily Record reported on August 15th that Scientology is
      launching a recruitment drive in Scotland.

      Cult to launch drive for Scots. The controversial Church of Scientology
      has launched a recruitment drive in Scotland. Scientology spokesman Graeme
      Wilson said a one-week information exhibition would include programmes to
      help solve Scots crime and drugs problems."

      From The Herald on August 15th:

      "The world's fastest-growing religious movement yesterday launched a major
      recruitment drive in Scotland with claims it has effective solutions to
      the country's crime and drugs problem. The Church of Scientology launched
      the drive with a week-long public exhibition. A freephone hot-line has
      also been set up by the church for people looking to find out more. The
      church's leaders yesterday admitted they hoped the Edinburgh-based
      exhibition would lead to Scientology spreading around Scotland. They also
      claim they can solve the country's crime and drugs problems.

      "A spokeswoman for the Cult Information Centre said: 'We receive a
      tremendous number of calls from people who are very distressed after a
      loved one has become involved with the organisation.'"

      #####

      > Mike McClaughry

      The Spokane Spokesman-Review reported on August 16th on the lawsuit by
      former Scientologist Mike McClaughry against his former employer.

      "McClaughry worked in the 'church intelligence unit.' They both climbed to
      high ranks within the church. The Post Falls man claims he was ousted from
      the Church of Scientology because he talked about changes he discovered in
      the religion's scripture. Then he was asked to leave his job at a Spokane
      office managed by Scientologists, he said. McClaughry is suing a Spokane
      company in U.S. District Court for alleged violations of the Civil Rights
      Act, claiming he was fired for his religious beliefs. The office manager
      said McClaughry resigned.

      "In the suit, McClaughry claims that his former employer, an insurance
      adjustment firm called David Morse & Associates, is managed by members of
      the Church of Scientology. The office manager said some Scientologists
      work at the company, but religion does not affect the office.

      "McClaughry said he was excommunicated when he told other members that
      sacred texts had been altered. McClaughry said Scientologists are not
      allowed to associate with former members. 'The supervisor basically said,
      'You realize once you're expelled (from the church), I can't deal with
      you. You have to go find another job,'' said McClaughry's lawyer, Steven
      Crumb. 'I guess that's as good as someone saying you're fired,' Crumb
      said.

      "Pat Dougherty, Spokane and Seattle office manager for David Morse &
      Associates, said the charges are unfounded. 'He thinks that we fired him
      because of his problems with the church. We didn't. He resigned. I didn't
      fire him, period,' said Dougherty, a Scientologist. 'There are Scientology
      members who work at David Morse. We are not a Scientology company. There
      are non-Scientologists that work for us also.'

      "During an interview, McClaughry shared a copy of a 12-page document
      detailing the rules for conducting an audit, a mental health procedure
      devised by Hubbard, the church founder. A more recent set of rules,
      rewritten after Hubbard's death in 1986, is only five pages, McClaughry
      said. Under the rewritten rules, Scientologists who reach the upper
      levels of the church must continue to be 'sec checked,' whereas they could
      be exempted under the original document, McClaughry said. Changing church
      guidelines is a 'cardinal sin,' and there are more, he said.

      "McClaughry still has the church document that officially expelled him in
      January, a 'suppressive person declare,' as it's called. It spells out 10
      of his violations, including 'engaging in malicious rumormongering to
      destroy the authority or repute of higher officers' and 'mutiny.'"

      #####

      > Susan Morgan

      Mike Gormez posted an update on the case of Susan Morgan, who
      unsuccessfully sued her former employer, Dr. Carlsten, when he tried to
      turn the dental office into a Scientology mission. Susan was in court to
      see if she would have to pay his legal expenses.

      "Susan went to court with only her brother as support - no lawyer. She
      met her former employer's attorney, Sandra Lanni, and they negotiated a
      payment schedule. She'll have to pay him $25 a month for the next 8 years.
      Fortunately Susan did not have to see the good doctor himself, just his
      hired hand."

      #####

      > Ursula Caberta

      Tagesanzeiger Zurich published an article on August 11th on the trip to
      Clearwater, Florida by Ursula Caberta.

      "Ursula Caberta, Director of the Hamburg Agencies' Work Group on
      Scientology, did not believe her eyes and ears when she arrived at the
      airport in Tampa, Florida. About 50 Scientologists were shouting 'Nazi go
      home' at her, as proved by video tape recordings. The Hubbard adherents
      were also holding up signs in the air which said the same thing. 'How the
      Scientologists learned of my arrival in Florida is a mystery to me.'
      Florida is the location of an international Scientology headquarters.

      "'They followed every move I made,' said Caberta of the Hamburg SPD
      administration, who is involved with Scientology as a result of her
      office. Nevertheless she still met with American Scientology critics. The
      Scientologists' attorneys took their revenge with an operation of a
      curious kind. The attorneys had managed to motivate a judge to order an
      immediate deposition. 'It was a five-hour hearing like the Stasi used to
      have,' stated Caberta. A German Scientology attorney had traveled from
      Munich for the occasion.

      "The operation was rounded out with a lawsuit for damages from a
      Scientology-affiliated businessman who demanded 75,000 dollars. The
      businessman claimed Caberta ruined a major contract for him with her
      information work. 'It has become painfully clear to me why the
      Scientologists are able to operate unhindered in the USA,' said Caberta,
      'They can take care of any critic they want by using these court and legal
      proceedings.'

      "'Unbelievable what they can do in the USA with tourists,' she said. 'And
      of all countries, this is the one which regularly accuses Germany of
      violating human rights because we dare to talk about Scientologists.' She
      lost her faith in the American legal system.

      "Juerg Stettler, spokesman from Scientology, defended Scientology's action
      by saying that Caberta held a press conference and wanted to organize a
      demonstration in front of the Scientology buildings. He said that Caberta
      had provoked the reaction, the more so since various Scientologists had
      taken refuge from her in the USA. Those people, he said, were allergic to
      Caberta and would consider her now becoming active there as impudence."