    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 13, 2000

      Free A.r.s Week in Review subscriptions are available.
      Subscriptions are also available on ONElist. Email
      weekinreview-subscribe@onelist.com or see http://www.onelist.com

      > Bless The Child

      The Toronto Sun reviewed the new movie Bless The Child on August 11th,
      judging it to be a commentary on Scientology.

      "Bless The Child motors along in first gear for far too long to generate
      the thrills it needs. At the same time, character development is
      superficial, especially with Kim Basinger as the dull leading lady and
      Jimmy Smits muted as the hero. The child is a new millennium Christ
      figure. Wrongly diagnosed as autistic, she shows a growing awareness of
      eerie superpowers when she turns six. This is precisely when the leader of
      a Satanic cult tries to kidnap the kid to take her over to the dark side.
      Bless The Child is every parent's worst nightmare taken to graphic and
      horrifying extremes and mixed up with a cult that mocks the image of
      Scientology."

      #####

      > Operation Clambale

      Andreas Heldal-Lund reported that Scientology has unblocked links to their
      pages from his, www.xenu.net.

      "You remember the cult web sites had blocked off access to their pages if
      someone followed a link to them from Operation Clambake? I made a new page
      on a separate page to get around that but recently they had blocked that
      site too. After I posted about it here on ARS they've opened their site
      again and the links work!"

      From the letters to the editor of the St. Petersburg Times on August 8th:

      "Ursula Caberta works a propaganda machine out of her Hamburg office
      maligning German Scientologists, ruining their families, forcing their
      children out of kindergarten and schools. She travels all over Europe
      inciting hate campaigns against individual Scientologists to get them
      fired from their jobs. She lobbies government offices and companies to
      have their directors and employees sign forms that they are not connected
      to Scientology. What Caberta is practicing is religious apartheid. -- J.
      Erdtmann, Clearwater

      "How can anyone say that Scientology is an asset to Clearwater? When any
      group causes constant bad press and negativity to any area, it's not an
      asset. I believe the Clearwater downtown redevelopment referendum failed
      because most voters feared they'd be fixing up the downtown area for the
      Church of Scientology and its members and not for the betterment of those
      of us who actually live and work here in Clearwater. How can anyone
      compare Scientology with a law school, which the letter writer says Tampa
      is willing to pay $12-million to have in its area? -- Fran Glaros,
      Clearwater"

      From the St. Petersburg Times on August 9th:

      "Now that the smoke has cleared and the dust has settled, former
      Clearwater City Manager Mike Roberto can ride out of town as bewildered as
      the many he leaves behind. I spent the first 20 years in Clearwater and
      the last 30 in Dunedin, so I have witnessed Clearwater's glory years and
      its now-pitiful state of decay. There is not a city manager alive who can
      change this deeply entrenched attitude of deceit and superiority. No
      matter what, you have to give Scientology its due. It saw what it wanted
      and the takeover of Clearwater was consummated with the sale of the Fort
      Harrison Hotel. For years its web was spun, finally encasing the heart and
      soul of this once-beautiful city. The city's stamp of approval for
      Scientology's world headquarters to be built here has sealed the fate of a
      fine small city. -- Donald L. Espenhain, Dunedin"

      #####

      > Drug Workshop

      Scientology planned an anti-drug workshop in Bloomington, Indiana
      according to an article in Pantagraph on July 31st.

      "A workshop for those interested in learning how to keep young people off
      drugs will be from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Friday at St. John's Lutheran Church,
      1617 E. Emerson St., Bloomington. The workshop is co-sponsored by Catholic
      Social Services and Narconon, a Los Angeles-based drug prevention and
      rehabilitation service, said workshop facilitator Forrest Luhcs of
      Bloomington. The workshop speaker will be Bobby Wiggins of Boston, a
      former heroin addict, a drug rehabilitation counselor and founder of
      Narconon New England."

      Stuttgarter Zeitung reported on August 9th that the number of
      Scientologists in Stuttgart still deserves observation by Constitutional
      Security.

      "Things have calmed down recently with the Scientologists, who say they
      have 5,000 members in Baden-Wuerttemberg alone. Nevertheless, the
      Baden-Wuerttemberg Interior Ministry, which estimates the number of
      adherents in the state at only 1,200, believes that continued surveillance
      of Scientology is necessary. All the more so because the organization,
      founded by L. Ron Hubbard to create a 'new civilization,' has not let up
      in its efforts to establish influence in society and politics, according
      to Constitutional Security.

      "In Stuttgart the Scientologists operate a so-called 'Class V Org,' that
      means a major establishment with a wide variety of services. One of the
      recruitment operations had a legal consequence in that a young woman fell
      victim to a violent dispute with a Scientologist in March. The female
      student, according to state attorney's office press spokesperson Sabine
      Maylaender, had popped a balloon with a recruitment message on it,
      whereupon a 44-year-old Scientologist man slapped her. Since then the doer
      has received a fine of 600 marks. The money was paid and the sentence is
      in effect, according to Maylaender.

      "The Constitutional Security report also talks about 'particularly
      aggressive recruitment measures.' For instance a newspaper shop keeper was
      repeatedly urged to put Scientology material on display in his shop.
      Finally the aggressive woman was shown the door, which prompted the
      following comment from her, 'You'll hear more from Scientology.' Maja
      Nuesch of the Stuttgart Scientologists, 'We would like to inform and
      proselytize.' She said that in doing that her personnel always kept city
      ordinances. The 16-year-old female student who had the unpleasant run-in
      with the pugnacious recruiter on Schlossplatz does not see things that
      way. 'He was totally out of control and hit me on the head repeatedly,'
      she said. The student was traumatized as a result of the incident and will
      sue the Scientologists."

      > Jesse Prince

      Bob Minton announced that former Scientologist Jesse Prince was arrested
      for having a marijuana plant.

      "12 Clearwater Police officers arrested Jesse Prince at his Clearwater
      residence at about 8:00am. 4 officers had shotguns, 2 had automatic
      weapons and 4 had automatic handguns trained on Jesse while 2 officers
      arrested and handcuffed Jesse. The police were armed with a search warrant
      authorizing the search of his home for evidence of unlawful manufacturing
      of a controlled substance, marijuana.

      "While executing a house and garden search, the police officers found a
      single marijuana plant (about 15" in height) in a single pot growing on
      the screen porch of his residence along with 47 other house/garden plants.
      No materials of any sort were found anywhere in or outside of the
      residence that could be associated with the manufacture or use of any type
      of controlled substance. The search included wall banging even in the room
      of 2 sleeping children.

      "About 6 months ago, a couple, the male now being described by Clearwater
      police as a confidential informant whose name is allegedly Rensey
      Trinidad, befriended Jesse and his girlfriend in a bar and several social
      encounters have occurred over the last few months at Jesse's home and
      elsewhere. The CI, accompanied by an undercover Clearwater Police officer
      named Det. Howard M. Crosby, stopped by Jesse's home. Before leaving, CI
      asked Jesse if he had any marijuana they could take to the Keys. Jesse
      said that he did not have any marijuana. Contrary to Jesse's recollection
      of events on the morning of August 6th, the undercover police officer
      alleges in the criminal charging document that on the Sunday morning in
      question, Jesse admitted that it was his marijuana plant and it had been
      moved outside to get more light.

      "The law offices of Denis deVlaming have been retained to defend Jesse in
      this matter. Jesse is my friend and I will do whatever I can to help him
      defend himself against these charges."

      From the St. Petersburg Times on August 12th:

      "Jesse Prince, executive vice president of the Lisa McPherson Trust, an
      anti-Scientology group based in Clearwater, was arrested and charged
      Thursday with cultivation of marijuana, jail records show. Prince is
      accused of having one marijuana plant growing at his Largo-area house,
      said Largo police Lt. Carla Boudrot, whose department made the arrest.
      'There appears to have been a several-months effort to have an undercover
      agent of the Police Department monitoring Jesse,' Minton said. 'I know
      that Prince is not a drug user of any kind, and I think he's not that
      stupid to be growing marijuana plants in his house.'

      "Mike Rinder, a top Scientology official, said the charge confirmed
      Scientology suspicions about the anti-church group's members. 'We've been
      saying that these people, since they arrived, were just a pack of
      criminals,' Rinder said."

      #####

      > Shock Mask

      The St. Petersburg Times reported on August 6th that a Scientologist has
      attracted the attention of the Food and Drug Administration with an
      electric mask that is claimed to create a more youthful look.

      "Clearwater inventor George E. Springer introduced a battery-powered face
      mask to the world five years ago. He gave it a fancy, European sounding
      name, 'Rejuvenique,' and registered it with the U.S. Patent & Trademark
      Office. Aesthetics. Inc. signed a deal with Housewares giant Salton/Maxim
      in January 1999 giving Rejuvenique widespread market exposure. Former
      Dynasty star Linda Evans became the paid spokeswoman for the mask, which
      has been claimed to tone skin and reduce fine lines and wrinkles by
      transmitting mild electric shocks to facial muscles.

      "But now, federal regulators are raising serious concerns about
      Rejuvenique, saying Salton and Springer have never scientifically
      documented that it works. Because it is a medical device intended to
      affect the structure or function of the body, Rejuvenique 'is not safe
      except under the supervision of a practitioner licensed by state law,' the
      Food and Drug Administration wrote in a July 12 warning letter to the
      company. Without FDA approval, 'marketing the Rejuvenique is a violation
      of the law,' the letter to Salton and Springer's Clearwater offices says.

      "Rejuvenique could be doing more harm than good, said New York
      dermatologist Dr. Debra Jaliman, a clinical instructor at Mount Sinai
      School of Medicine and a spokeswoman for the American Academy of
      Dermatology. 'The FDA should pull it off the market until he
      substantiates his claim,' said Jaliman, who is familiar with the mask.
      Rejuvenique 'goes against everything we know as dermatologists. You do not
      want to stimulate muscles in the face. Don't buy it. Don't use it unless
      you want wrinkles.'

      "In a 1999 Rejuvenique infomercial, Springer identifies himself as 'a past
      associate professor of dermatology who's also been practicing holistic
      medicine for the past 19 years.' But Florida Department of Health
      officials say there is no George E. Springer licensed to practice
      medicine here. 'We don't have a Springer by any name that's a chiropractor
      in the state of Florida,' said Health Department spokesman Bill Parizek.
      'There is no George Elmer Springer licensed as any type of health
      professional in the state of Florida.'"

      #####

      > Mike McClaughry

      Virginia McClaughry posted a lawsuit her husband has filed against
      Scientology-affiliated company David Morse and Associates, claiming he was
      fired for leaving Scientology.

      "Michael R. McClaughry was terminated because of his religious beliefs.
      Specifically, plaintiff was advised by Bernard P. Daugherty, his
      supervisor, that he would have to leave the employ of David Morse &
      Associates, Inc., because the plaintiff was in the process of being
      expelled from the Church of Scientology. Bernard P. daugherty is a member
      of the Church of Scientology, along with a number of high ranking
      officials and employees of defendant, David Morse & Associates, Inc. It is
      a requirement of the Church of Scientology that a member not associate
      with an expelled former member of the Church of Scientology. These acts
      and failures to act by defendant constitute religious discrimination in
      violation of plaintiff's civil rights pursuant to Title VII of the Civil
      Rights Act of 1964.

      "These acts and failures to act by defendant constitute creed/religious
      discrimination in violation of RCW 49.60 for which plaintiff has suffered
      economic and non-economic damages in an amount to be proven at trial and
      exceeding the jurisdictional limits of this court. These acts and failures
      to act by defendant constitute the torts of intentional infliction of
      emotional distress, outrage, and negligent infliction of emotional
      distress."

      #####

      > Medical Examiner

      The St. Petersburg Times reported on August 12th that there are few
      applicants to replace Dr. Joan Wood as Medical Examiner. Dr. Wood resigned
      after her credibility was questioned by prosecutors in the Lisa McPherson
      criminal case against Scientology.

      "Given a national shortage of forensic pathologists, local officials did
      not expect a stampede of applicants to replace outgoing Pinellas-Pasco
      Medical Examiner Joan Wood. Three doctors, including Palm Beach County's
      chief medical examiner, have applied to replace Woods, who is retiring
      effective Sept. 30 after 20 years as the circuit's medical examiner. 'I
      kind of thought there would be more applicants,' said State Attorney
      Bernie McCabe, who heads a local search committee. 'But the quality of the
      applicants is extraordinary. On paper, these are very qualified people.'

      "Woods unexpectedly announced her retirement two weeks after prosecutors
      dropped criminal charges against the Church of Scientology, blaming Wood's
      reversal in the death of Scientologist Lisa McPherson for hopelessly
      damaging their case. Dr. Stephen Nelson, Polk County's medical examiner,
      said he wasn't surprised by the paucity of applicants. He thought the
      controversy surrounding Wood's departure played a part. 'When there's a
      cloud over the office, it creates trepidation,' he said."

      #####

      > Marison Nichols

      The Naperville Sun reported on August 9th that the star of a new TV series
      is a Scientologist.

      "Nichols worked many jobs, including telemarketing and waitressing, before
      she was cast in the CBS pilot 'My Guys' and moved to Los Angeles, where
      she now lives. She discovered Scientology, a faith geared toward
      self-improvement, which she said, in addition to acting, helped her
      rebuild herself. 'I sort of rehabbed my old ghosts, all the mistakes I
      made, I learned how to fix them,' she said. 'I can confidently say I'm not
      the same person I was in high school at all.' 'I think she has changed
      tremendously in the way that she carries herself and the way she speaks,'
      Maria Pachnik said. 'She's very disciplined and very organized and knows
      exactly what she wants.' Breaking old barriers She also will soon star in
      the Showtime film 'The Little Mermaid,' based on the Hans Christian
      Andersen story about a girl in search of her identity after her mother's
      death."

      #####

      > Norway

      Stavanger Aftenblad reported on August 3rd reported on Scientology's
      efforts against psychiatry in Norway.

      "The Stavanger man Nils Malmedal and his Scientology connected
      organization have nothing good to say about psychiatry in a publication
      distributed to households, public offices and media all over the country.
      Kalberg Jensen have been working with people in mental distress and been
      involved in the preparation of Stavanger county psychiatry plan. She
      reacts very strongly to several of the claims in the pamphlet she
      received. 'Some critical questions that are raised are justified. But the
      answers are directly irresponsible and dangerous. Especially what is
      written about children. I can't imagine that nobody haven't reacted
      publicly already, she says.'"

      #####

      > Tom Padgett:

      Tom Padgett has been jailed in Kentucky for contempt. Tom has been
      battling his ex-wife and Scientology in a child support and custody case.

      "Tom is in the Madisonville holding tank with hardened criminals as this
      PM on Monday. The Court would not appoint Tom an Attorney, and Tom would
      not talk without an Attorney so in jail he went. The folks on the Undernet
      are sending him the allowable items. 5 pair white socks, 5 white tshirts,
      5 pair underwear, white. He is being held without bond and his hearing is
      Monday at 9:00."

      #####

      > Protest / Revenge Summary

      "Tampawog" and "Randy" reported a protest at the Clearwater Bank building
      this week.

      "Myself and 6 others did a little informal picket in front of and across
      the street from the Clearwater Bank Building. We were successful in
      getting the Scientologists to re-route their people to avoid us. Randy
      educated some tourists who said they were Missionaries in Haiti. He gave
      them the lowdown on what Hubbard said about Christ and all that. Plenty
      of folks driving by showed support by blowing the horn and yelling. My
      'handler' was Hans, who said he had to leave Germany because of Ursula
      Caberta. He wouldn't talk much about Lisa McPherson, or how much his
      'church' charges for their services."

      "My handler was actually a rather nice fellow, and a 'new' face lately. He
      was curious to know why my picket sign said 'Scientology is NOT a
      Religion' I told him that 'source' himself had said that scientology was
      an 'applied philosophy', whereupon he immediately 'corrected' me saying
      'applied RELIGIOUS philosophy'. I told him that one of us obviously had an
      M/U here and maybe we should consult someone. Our friend the skinny blonde
      woman with the german accent approached the three of us. She began with
      her now familiar 'You guys are fat', 'You smell bad' routine. The nice OT
      V fellow exclaimed 'HEY!, I'm with YOU!' to her."

      "Barb" protested this week at the San Diego org.

      "Signs: Scientology, $360,000 Space Alien Cult Scientology Says You're
      Covered in Dead Space Cooties Fliers: Xenu by Roland Would you want a Cult
      in your town? Fliers distributed: 6 Our signs caught the eye of a guy
      passing on the other side of 4th. He introduced himself as Devon, and told
      us about his girlfriend who answered their 'Help Wanted' sign and applied.
      She apparently gave it a go for almost a year. He told us she got out
      after attending some group function, at which she became violently ill and
      quit.

      "At this point, a man emerged from the org with a digital camera. He was
      noncommunicative and rather grim. He took our pictures silently, muttering
      to us only once, 'You should get a life.' After an hour we packed it in.
      We did give out two fliers on the corner by the org, but handed out the
      other four on our way up and back from the org."

      Keith Henson continued his protests at Gold Base near Hemet, California.

      "Started about 7:10 and put in over an hour. Oddly enough, all five buses
      were parked this morning at 7:13. Edwin Richardson and Frank Petty seem
      to be very concerned about me using tape of their antics in a commercial
      activity. They warned me not to use their images or voice. Gold base
      staff plays peek-a-boo with me at the guard gate. They stand behind it and
      move back and forth so I can't see them.

      "Thug 2 has developed a little wider range of patter beyond accusations of
      child molesting, burning kids and the like. He seems to be intensely
      concerned about my working, my finances, my daughter's college expenses.
      A little later, 'Are you actually going to disintegrate the church of
      scientology or are you insinuating a bomb threat, Mr. Henson? Are you
      having any problems with the IRS, Mr. Henson? Are you reporting any income
      that Bob Minton gives you? (breathless) to the IRS?'"

      "I drove down to the usual place, parked, picked up a sign and got less
      than 100 feet from the car when the black SUV they use came tearing out
      from the main gate, passed me on my way back to my car, and dumped off
      thug 2. Thug 2 got about 10 words in before I jumped back in my car, but
      instead of heading in the direction I need to go, I went to the east
      parking spot, just beyond the east underpass and as I went by the main
      gate, there was Richardson getting into the black SUV--which tore off
      behind me. I turned around, and headed for Santa Monica just as Richardson
      was dumped off."

      "Seems the clams bugged the Sheriff's Dept. with a patent of mine dating
      from ten years ago. The patent was about using a large aircraft and a long
      cable to 'crack the whip' and launch a payload into a sub orbital. The
      Sheriff deputy I have been talking to came by and wanted me to explain to
      him how the clams could think a ten year old patent of mine which never
      went any further than some paper studies could constitute a threat of any
      kind. So I explained as best I could, and then we talked about other
      items of mutual interest.

      "I got out there after 4 pm and stayed just about an hour and a half.
      There was enough in the tape which is suggestive of threats against my
      daughter (mention of the school she is going to) for me to consider
      turning the tape over to either the school or the local police."

      "The thugs are out there is not because I am anything but a psychological
      danger to the clams. They are out there primarily to prevent gold base
      staff from waving back at me or even looking. Soon as anyone inside the
      base is in sight, they have a video camera on them. If they are seen to
      glance in my directions is it the RPF for them? In any case, nobody inside
      waves back any more."

      "Graham [Berry] and I got back out there a little before 5. It was hot,
      but a spray bottle helps. We walked several circuits starting from the
      east end this time. We could see people crossing the plaza, but by the
      time we would get there, the traffic was very light. I am most impressed
      by the effect Graham has on my thugs. They have backed off to at least 100
      feet and sometimes 300 feet, with the exception of when we first got out
      there and Richardson served me with a subpoena in the Hurtado case! They
      failed again to include the witness fee. So it was a defective service.

      "They have not filled the ditch behind the curb on the west end, and they
      are not picking up the trash along the road. Inside the fence it is still
      groomed, but I think they don't dare let the RPF out to clean up along the
      road.

      "Brent, Graham, and I were out there just after 7 am. We parked on the
      east end this time. Graham's sign said 'LRH was on psych drugs when he
      died' on one side and 'Scientology: the 'Church' of fair game' on the
      other. Brent had 'NO OTs Here' and 'The Squirrels are INT management.'
      Mine was 'The Church with a body count on one side' and 'No OTs etc' on
      the other. We went all the way to the Ashlee Shaner memorial, stopped for
      a moment of reverence there and started back on the north side of the
      road.

      "At this point we split up to cover all the places where the buses can
      turn off the highway. While I was waiting on the east end, a truck pulled
      up at the gate. It stayed there at least ten minutes, the people looking
      at my sign before someone was roused out to unlock the gate and let them
      in. At 7:57 the first of the big buses went by. The people inside got a
      first class view of my sign. Graham mostly hung out over the east
      underpass. He nearly kept the staff from using the plaza or the underpass.
      He could see them peeking out from either side and pulling their heads
      back if the saw him. Brent took the main gate and I took the west gate,
      and with that combination, much of the staff was late for work this
      morning. Scn induces such psychological weakness in its staff that three
      guys with picket signs have nearly the effect of barricading the gates
      with barbed wire."

      "About 7:20 TalonK showed up. My car was on the east end, and I was near
      the main gate, so I headed to my car for another sign. One of my favorite
      CHP people, Officer Luebs, came by and we had a short, friendly
      conversation about pickets. Frank stood back in dismay. With a cheery
      'Have fun' Officer Luebs went on down the road."

      #####

      > Spain

      Unclassified diplomatic cables from the U.S. Embassy in Madrid to the
      State and Justice departments were posted to a.r.s this week. They show
      Embassy officials meeting with Scientology lawyers to plan how to delay
      the trial of the President of the Church of Scientology International,
      Heber Jentzsch. Jentzsch and other Scientologists were arrested and face
      charges of extortion, forgery and tax offenses.

      "IN A JULY 18 MEETING WITH CG, POLCOUNS AND FSN LEGAL ADVISOR, US LAWYERS
      DEFENDING THE CHURCH OF SCIENTOLOGY AGAINST SPANISH PROSECUTION AGAIN
      ASKED THE EMBASSY TO RECOMMEND DENYING SPAIN'S REQUEST TO SERVE SUMMONS TO
      AMCIT HEBER JENTZSCH UNDER THE MUTUAL LEGAL ASSISTANCE TREATY. THIS BEING
      OUR THIRD MEETING, WE AGAIN REITERATED OUR VIEW THAT SERVICE OF SUMMONS
      AGAINST MR. JENTZSCH WOULD NOT PREJUDICE 'THE SECURITY OR SIMILAR
      ESSENTIAL INTERESTS.' ON THE CONTRARY, DENYING THE REQUEST WOULD
      JEOPARDIZE ESSENTIAL US LAW ENFORCEMENT INTERESTS. WE ARE CONVINCED IT IS
      EXTREMELY UNLIKELY THE CASE WILL GO TO TRIAL, EVEN LESS LIKELY JENTZSCH
      WOULD BE CONVICTED IF IT DID, AND BEYOND CONCEPTION THAT HE WOULD SERVE
      ANY TIME IF CONVICTED. HOWEVER, WE RECOMMEND DOJ DELAY SERVING SUMMONS TO
      PROVIDE MORE TIME FOR A SETTLEMENT, WHILE WE FOLLOW UP ON WHAT TO DO IN
      SPAIN TO AVOID A TRIAL.

      "WE AGREE THE CASE AGAINST JENTZSCH IS EXTREMELY WEAK (GRANTED, WE HAVEN'T
      SEEN THE EVIDENCE, BUT FROM OUR PERSPECTIVE, IT APPEARS TO BORDER ON THE
      ABSURD), AND THAT SOME SPANISH AUTHORITIES DURING THE PAST TWELVE YEARS
      HAVE IN ONE WAY OR ANOTHER MADE CLEAR THEIR PERSONAL PREJUDICE AGAINST THE
      CHURCH. BUT THE PARTICULAR CASE AGAINST HEBER JENTZSCH IS UNTENABLE ON
      LEGAL GROUNDS, PRIMARILY THE PROSECUTION'S FAILURE TO LINK HIM TO THE
      ALLEGED CRIMES. WE SEE NO EVIDENCE THAT THE SPANISH GOVERNMENT IS
      PROSECUTING JENTZSCH FOR HIS BELIEF IN SCIENTOLOGY, OR THAT IT SEEKS TO
      DENY THE RIGHTS OF SPANISH SCIENTOLOGISTS.

      "THE OBVIOUS SOLUTION FROM OUR PERSPECTIVE, AS WE DISCUSSED WITH WALSH AND
      YINGLING, IS TO CONVINCE THE PROSECUTION TO BREAK OFF THE ONE RECALCITRANT
      DEFENDANT AND TRY HIM SEPARATELY. APPARENTLY THE PROSECUTOR WANTS THIS
      CASE SETTLED WHOLE, AND IS UNWILLING TO REACH SEPARATE AGREEMENTS. IN THE
      MEANTIME, WE OFFERED TO USE OUR CONTACTS WITHIN THE SPANISH JUDICIARY TO
      DISCRETELY SEEK WAYS TO DELAY THE TRIAL DATE. BUT WE ALSO WARNED THEM AN
      AGGRESSIVE APPROACH ON OUR PART COULD CREATE A NEGATIVE BACKLASH, WHICH
      THEY UNDERSTOOD MUST BE AVOIDED."

      AMCIT - American Citizen
      CG - Consul General Douglas R. Smith
      DOJ - Department of Justice
      FSN - Foreign Service National
      POLCOUNS - Political Counselor Michael Butler, Department of State

      #####

      > Ursula Caberta

      Der Spiegel published an article on August 7th, describing the behavior of
      Scientologists towards Ursula Caberta during her recent trip to
      Clearwater.

      "Ursula Caberta, Director of the Work Group on Scientology in the Hamburg
      Interior Agency, had to leave the USA in a hurry. Caberta met with
      Scientology opponents Stacy Brooks and Bob Minton and took part in a press
      conference on the practices of the psycho-concern. Then she unexpectedly
      left the country one day earlier than planned. Caberta had no sooner
      landed at the airport in Tampa than she was received by Scientologists
      screaming 'Nazi go home'; she was subsequently followed at every turn.
      Then German software businessman Hubert Heller, who lives in the USA, sued
      Caberta for 75,000 dollars in damages. Allegedly a major contract from
      German company POS Partner Gmbh had slipped through his fingers after the
      company had presented him with a so-called 'sect filter' - a 'security
      statement' in which the signer asserts that he does not operate according
      to the 'technology' of Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard.

      "The German Consul General in Florida urged that she leave: Caberta had
      had a summons to a deposition by Scientology attorneys shoved under her
      hotel room door. It said she would have to sit through a five-hour hearing
      in the business's center in Clearwater. It had to do with the case of
      Lisa McPherson, who died under unexplained circumstances in the USA. She
      left the country in secret 'before anything worse happened.' Caberta lost
      her belief in the American legal system. She had never experienced
      anything like that before. 'One hears about that only in dictatorships.'"