    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 30, 2000

      Free A.r.s Week in Review subscriptions are available.
      Subscriptions are also available on ONElist. Email
      weekinreview-subscribe@onelist.com or see http://www.onelist.com
      Week in Review is archived at:

      > Mark Bunker

      Lisa McPherson Trust media director Bark Bunker reported this week that
      charges will not be filed against the Scientologist who attacked him with
      a hammer while he filmed for a German TV crew.

      "Bernie McCabe's office has written me to say that no charges will be
      pressed against Richard Bernard who attacked my with a hammer nearly six
      months ago. Hammer attacks involving Scientologists will now be considered
      Sacred Rites and will be protected under the Florida Constitution."

      > Ursula Caberta

      Ursula Caberta, head of the Scientology task force in Hamburg, Germany was
      greeted at the Tampa airport by a group of Scientologists protesting her
      visit to the Lisa McPherson Trust.

      "A beige shirt is shouting 'Go back to Germany, Nazi criminal!' twice
      through cupped hands. Meanwhile crowd of clams is pointing and shouting
      'This lady is a criminal!' 'You're not welcome!' 'Nazi!' and similar
      shouts. Blonde middle aged woman, 'Go back to Germany, we like freedom of
      religion here.' Airport cops hold them back, and there are shouts 'You're
      all damned! You're all damned!'"

      "An announcement was made in the terminal after the crowd died down:
      'Ladies and gentlemen, in case you were worried about what just happened
      here, those people were members of the Church of Scientology.' End of
      announcement. That was all that was needed to be said."

      Patricia Greenway reported the identity of many of the Scientologists at
      the airport.

      "The idiot yelling through cupped hands was Ian Shillington. He came the
      next day to the door of the LMT to scream the same inane lunacy and later
      carried signs that said GO HOME NAZI's. Some of those members that came to
      the airport as well as picketed the LMT with Nazi go home signs were:
      Sandy Adair, Dan Sigal, Dennis Clark, Penny Jones, Andrea Anniskevich.
      Of course the airport crowd was orchestrated by Al Buttnor. Also, there
      were a few children brought to the airport as well as the NAZI picket to
      carry Nazi signs and trained to yell Nazi's go home."

      Ursula Caberta participated in a press conference at the Lisa McPherson
      Trust on July 25th. From the St. Petersburg Times:

      "The battle between the Church of Scientology and the German government, a
      long-running dispute steeped in emotion and international politics, has
      come crashing into Clearwater with a visit by a controversial German
      official. Ursula Caberta, who heads a government office in Hamburg that
      works to curb Scientology in Germany, said Tuesday at a downtown news
      conference that Scientology is viewed in her country as 'a new kind of
      political extremism.'

      "'I believe that the very good relations between Germany and the U.S.
      should not be influenced by an organization like Scientology,' Caberta
      said, appearing at the headquarters of the Lisa McPherson Trust, a
      'watchdog group' founded by Scientology critic Bob Minton.

      "'It is all I can do to hold my temper,' said Hans Bschorr, a
      Scientologist who said he was employed as a television reporter covering
      the Bavarian parliament when a newspaper article four years ago mentioned
      he belonged to the church. 'I lost everything over there instantly,' said
      Bschorr, scoffing at the notion Scientologists have exaggerated their
      plight for political gain in the United States. 'I had to move my family
      out of the country.'

      "At the news conference, Caberta focused on the case of Antje Victore, a
      German Scientologist who in 1997 was granted political asylum in the
      United States by a Tampa immigration judge after claiming she was
      subjected to religious persecution in her homeland. Caberta pointed to
      letters Victore used to make her case. They were written by business
      owners who said Victore wouldn't be hired in Germany because of her
      involvement in Scientology. However, Victore failed to disclose to the
      judge that the letters were written by fellow Scientologists, Caberta
      said. Though Scientology did not orchestrate the case, Rathbun said, there
      would have been nothing improper if it had."

      Mark Bunker reported that a Scientologist sued Ursula during her visit to

      "Scientologist Hubert Heller has filed a civil suit against Ursula over
      the 'Sect Filter.'"

      "As head of the task force, Caberta initiated a series of discriminatory
      and exclusionary measures designed to stigmatize, disenfranchise and
      ostracize Scientologists based solely on their association and beliefs.
      Caberta created and disseminates so-called 'sect filters' both in the
      public and private sectors. These 'sect filters' require individuals and
      companies to declare in writing: That they do not 'use the technology of
      L. Ron Hubbard;' That they are not trained and do not participate in the
      'technology of L. Ron Hubbard;' and That they reject the 'technology of L.
      Ron Hubbard.'

      "RTl is a computer software company in Sacramento, California. Heller
      negotiated with the German firm, POSPartner G.M.B.H. (POS) to establish a
      distribution agreement whereby POS would distribute RTI's software
      products in Germany. Heller would realize substantial commissions from
      such sale to POS as weil as other sales in Germany exceeding $75,000.
      During the process of the negotiation, POS learned that Heller is a
      Scientologist. Heller has been a devoted member of the Church of
      Scientology since 1971. POS, as a result of Caberta's inducement, demanded
      that Heller sign one of Caberta's 'sect filters.' Heller refused to sign
      Caberta's 'sect filter,' and POS refused to enter into the agreement
      unless Heller signed Caberta's 'sect filters', thereby causing substantial
      damage to Heller.

      "This is a count for tortious interference with an advantageous business
      relationship and a business expectancy. Defendant's actions constitute a
      willful, wanton and malicious interference with plaintiffs advantageous
      business relationship and prospective economic advantage with POS, and
      defendant's actions have damaged plaintiff."

      > Operation Clambake

      Andreas Heldal-Lund reported that his site at http://www.xenu.net has been
      selected by the Wall Street Journal.

      "The Wall Street Journal has included Operation Clambake as one of 'Our
      Favorite Sites' under the section 'Opinion, Commentary and Gossip'."

      > Clearwater Mayor

      Following the firing of Clearwater City Manager Mike Roberto, a lawyer
      affiliated with Scientology has called for the position to be eliminated.
      From the St. Petersburg Times on July 28th:

      "Saying he is saddened by divisiveness in the city, lawyer Timothy A.
      Johnson Jr., one of Clearwater's most prominent and influential figures,
      is asking city officials to consider a fundamental change in the way the
      city is governed. Some commissioners said Thursday that the 'strong mayor'
      idea has merit and they would be willing to debate it.

      "Such a change would have to be put before voters as an amendment to the
      city charter. A ballot measure could be initiated by the City Commission
      or a citizen committee that gets signatures of 10 percent of the
      electorate. Johnson, 54, is a lifelong resident of Clearwater and head of
      a downtown law firm -- Johnson Blakely Pope Bokor Ruppel & Burns -- that
      has a long tradition of involving itself deeply in the city's political

      "Clearwater is a city divided, he wrote: 'Old versus young, business
      interests versus retirees, Scientologists versus anti-Scientologists,
      downtown proponents versus suburbanites and city officials versus
      skeptics.' Johnson, who became a close adviser to Roberto, said his
      proposal would not solve all of Clearwater's problems. 'There's no perfect
      solution,' he said. 'But sometimes change is healthy.'"

      Karin Case described Johnson's recent work for Scientology.

      "His partner, Wally Pope currently represents the Co$, and was the Co$
      attorney in the June 29, 2000 injunction hearing between Howd/Co$ &

      > Austria

      News Austria published an article on July 25th on a Scientologist who
      impersonates Elvis Presley.

      "The message was clear and unmistakable: 'Scientology kills' in big
      letters could be read on the t-shirts of the counter-activists at the
      street festival at the end of June in Shliefmuehlgasse in Vienna. And
      while Mark Janicello, 37, whispered his smash hit 'Deep Your Soul' [sic]
      with an icy demeanor, the demonstrators cheerfully distributed flyers to
      the audience in which they announced the membership of the musical singer
      in Scientology.

      "Janicello is the only artist in Austria who openly professes to
      Scientology: 'For a year I've done nothing else for them, I don't want to
      any more. But if this goes on, I'm moving back to the U.S. I've never
      misused my audience for Scientology and never spread their messages. I
      would only like one thing: to make music.'

      "Janicello ran into Scientology in 1994, 'My wife at the time, Danielle,
      and I had marital problems, we went to psychologists and marriage
      counselors. Nobody could help us. Then somebody put the 'Dianetics' book
      by Ron Hubbard into my hands.' Janicello made the pilgrimage to the
      Scientology headquarters on 46th Street, 'After six and a half hours of
      auditing my migraine headaches were gone and I was convinced: this was
      it.' He took several communication courses, 'I regularly took auditing,
      sessions and the 'Purification Rundown,' a purging program in which the
      body is detoxified and cleaned. Every course cost 3,500 shillings,
      Scientology is expensive.'

      "Soon Janicello was deeply involved in the structure of the organization
      and also had contact with the 'Office of Special Affairs': 'I authored
      reports which I sent to the 'Ethics Office' about other Scientologists.'
      Renate Hartwig to NEWS: 'These reports are comparable to the reports which
      former Stasi informants wrote about offensive regime critics.'

      "'BMG Ariola Munich canceled a scheduled duet along with 14 promotional
      appearances, Dieter-Thomas Heck asked me not to be on his show anymore.'
      His friends in the field disappeared. Marika Lichter, 'When we suddenly
      started to get invitations to Scientology meetings, I knew what the game
      was. I want to keep myself and everything having to do with me away from

      "Janicello's appeal: 'I am an artist. I did not want to bring someone into
      Scientology, nor have I abused my public.'"

      > Germany

      Volksblatt Wuerzburg reported on July 21st that Scientology's CCHR booth
      in a local market will be monitored by the city of Wuerzburg.

      "The informational booth of the 'Commission for Violations of Psychiatry
      against Human Rights, Inc.' will be 'specially monitored' Saturday by the
      city. This is the third time in several weeks the Commission had set up a
      stand on the upper market. An informational stand can be refused only if
      it is known or expected that crimes will be committed or codes violations
      will occur, according to Kruse. There is no indication for either of those
      with KVPM.

      "Reverend Alfred Singer, sect commissioner of the Wuerzburg Diocese, had
      advised against filling out the statement of intention which was formatted
      like a patient admittance form. Those who signed the 'protection letter'
      with power of attorney would not only have to count on enormous expenses
      but also on having 'private matters of health' exploited by Scientology.
      The Bavarian State Interior Ministry has also been involved with the KVPM.
      It said in its 1997 booklet 'Scientology - an anti-Constitutional
      Endeavor,' that while the KVPM 'vociferously opposed alleged abuse in
      psychiatry,' it avoided mention of 'systematic mistreatment' of
      Scientologists by the Scientology Organization in its 'Rehabilitation

      Die Welt reported on July 26th that Scientology plans an exhibit on L. Ron
      Hubbard in Hamburg.

      "A visibly worn press spokeswoman opened the exhibition about the 'Life
      and Work of L. Ron Hubbard' in the Bieberhaus near the main railroad
      station. And about 250 Scientologists went. With champagne and hors
      d'oevres the visitors looked at the exhibition about the sect founder, but
      the Scientologists weren't allowed to say that. Friendly but firmly one
      was instructed that Hubbard was referred to as a 'founder of religion.'

      "The press spokeswoman pointed out constantly that all the works ever
      printed by the Master came to 149 million copies, among them such
      'classics' as 'Typewriter in the Sky,' 'Evil Triumphant' and 'The Horror'.
      The illustrated chapters of his paths of life were described in 'The Boy
      Scout,' 'The Adventurer,' and 'The Flyer.' Pictures of the man who died in
      1986, who was edging into corpulence even in his early years, looked down
      upon the guests from all walls. And on each wall, in the middle of all the
      photographs, the golden words of the Master could be read.

      "On another board it is stated that the Master not only was an author and
      script writer and not only did he found a religion - he also enriched the
      fields of drug rehabilitation and the resocialization of criminals. Here
      the visitor can also partake of Hubbard's findings, 'The drug scene
      encompasses the entire planet. It is marked by blood and human suffering.'
      He also published the 'Textbook of the Human Spirit' with the deep insight
      that there is a 'higher goal' and a 'more glorious victory' than
      'burnt-out cities and people killed by radiation.'"

      The Robin Direkt Report this month published an interview conducted by
      Renate Hartwig with a former Scientologist.

      "The woman, a non-Scientologist, got involved with a Scientologist and her
      marriage failed because of the Scientology organization.

      "It is not possible to have a functioning relationship between a
      Scientologist and a non-Scientologist in the long run. You communicate on
      two completely different planes thereby missing each other. The one cannot
      be just a little bit of a Scientologist and the other cannot be just a
      little bit of a non-Scientologist - the ideology does not permit that from
      two sides.

      "Based on the reports before me from my ex-husband I can only say they
      know absolutely everything that we discussed at home. It was also
      determined how often my former husband and I went to bed with each other
      and what all the variants were of our marital sex life. I led a nearly
      completely transparent marriage life for a perfectly undemocratic
      organization. You could say I had the feeling that I was married with 35

      "It was incomprehensible to me what he had been thinking of in betraying
      his marriage and his wife to an organization. I was very hurt. I was not
      ready to simply give up without a fight - it's just at the time, I had no
      way of assessing how much power was really behind this thing. This
      opponent was too powerful or too crude and did not operate using fair

      The Robin Direkt Report also revealed that an official of the Free
      Catholic Church attended the opening of the new Hamburg Org.

      "In the first volume of Impact for the year 2000, Archbishop Ungerer of
      the Free Catholic Church of Germany was pictured as a speaker at the
      dedication of the new Scientology Organization in Hamburg. It is clear
      that such a picture will be exploited for PR purposes in Scientology's
      literature. Archbishop Ungerer is certainly not a member of Scientology.
      But he lets himself be harnessed for Scientology's ideas. When asked, he
      replied that he has had contact for over a decade now with Heber Jentzsch,
      still one of the leading Scientology presidents in the USA. Asked whether
      he was really aware of the background of Scientology and what his position
      was on it, he answered: 'Do you know what the Scientologists are
      accomplishing?! It's tremendous! We are way behind them.'

      "Archbishop Ungerer's Free Catholic Church is a splinter group of the
      official Catholic Church. On May 17, 1966, Ungerer was expelled from the
      church community. The reason given was that he was pretending to be a
      priest, but had never been ordained in the Orthodox Catholic church.
      Ungerer had told a student that he was a father confessor and, garbed like
      a priest, had worn a cross and a bishop's ring with no authorization."

      > McClaughrys

      Virginia McClaughry posted letters from the IRS in response to her copied
      correspondence with Scientology regarding a request for a refund.

      "The information submitted indicates that the Church of Scientology is in
      violation of the 1993 agreement between the Church and the Internal
      Revenue Service. The office of the Internal Revenue Service with
      jurisdiction over the Church of Scientology is the Exempt Organizations
      Area Manager, Pacific Coast. Accordingly, we have forwarded the
      information you have provided to us to that office for appropriate action.

      "The IRS maintains an ongoing examination program to ensure that
      tax-exempt organizations continue to meet the legal requirements for tax
      exemption, and that they otherwise comply with applicable tax laws. When
      an examination reveals that an organization is not complying with the tax
      laws, the IRS takes appropriate action. We appreciate your concern in
      bringing this matter to our attention."

      Virginia also reported that her husband has filed suit against David Morse
      and Associates for firing him at the direction of Scientology.

      "In Federal Court, Spokane, Washington, a suit was filed on July 25, 2000.
      Mike McClaughry VS David Morse and Associates; religious discrimination.
      Mike was 'asked to leave' his 3 year job, due to 'being declared'."

      > Nigeria

      The News from Lagos, Nigeria published an article on July 24th on the debt
      buy-back issue that Scientology is using against critic Bob Minton.

      "The bone of contention is actually Fashanu's $6 billion debt buy-back
      fraud investigation which was published by Africa Confidential, a
      newsletter and the Sunday Times of London. Behind the operation were two
      Americans, Jeffrey Schmidt and Robert Minton. As the investigation
      revealed, 'Some $4.4 billion had been earmarked for currency stabilisation
      and debt buy-back, but the scheme cost only $2.5 billion and there are no
      records of other buy-backs or currency stabilisation operations between
      the period, 1988-1993.'

      "Babangida argued that if Fashanu were sure of his facts, he would have
      shown up in Washington D.C on 11 June at a forum organised by the US-based
      Nigerian Democratic Movement, NDM. Fashanu's solicitors claimed that
      Minton came to the forum with books and files contrived to 'undermine the
      Nigerian government's extensive investigations into his financial
      activities.' The lawyers argued that they would not be a party to the
      institutionalisation of crimes, provided by such a forum, but 'the court
      room is the only place where specifics have to be answered.' Fashanu
      himself echoed this thought when he explained that his refusal to attend
      was because of his primary concern to keep the facts in the jurisdiction
      of the criminal courts and not in the political arena.

      "Minton fired his accusation that Fashanu is being used by the Church of
      Scientology which he (Minton) is fighting over human rights violations.
      Minton was said to have secured the services of a journalist and a
      Nigerian Senator to keep him and his accomplices in extensive damage
      control and public relations job.

      "To save his skin, his loot and his powerful accomplices, Minton and his
      various organisations, Fashanu alleged, have been in contact with various
      financial institutions: Banque de Depots with Gordon Ahmed Sabiha as
      sub-director; Heritage Finance and Trust SA, Christian M. Wagner both in
      (Geneva); Sifida Societe Internationale Financier of Luxembourg. Mr.
      Minton and his coconspirators have kept the crucial documents away from
      the CBN officials for nearly 12 years while they used Nigerian funds to
      manipulate the price of Nigerian debt while making millions of dollars
      undisclosed to the Nigerian officials who were supposed to be overseeing
      this program."

      From The Guardian on July 27:

      "General Ibrahim Babangida may be invited by the Senate to explain a four
      billion dollar debt buy-back deal wrapped up under his regime. A
      three-page fact sheet submitted to the senate on the controversial
      transaction by Mr. Bob Minton by his Nigerian counsel, had detailed the
      nature of the monetary movements involved.

      "Minton stated that, 'we agreed with CBN that when we first started doing
      this, we would make profits of approximately one per cent of the face
      value of the Nigerian debt that we re-purchased. In February 1993, we had
      acquired 1.16 billion dollars of CBN promissory notes and approximately
      three billion dollars of Nigerian bank debt. 'It was good business for
      Nigeria. We made a good profit at one per cent of $4.5 billion is about
      $45 million profit which is perfectly normal. The CBN was receiving
      monthly reports from us and we were talking on the phone everyday to CBN's
      Governor Ahmed, Ishmael Usman, Sanaki and Masanwa were dealing with this
      whole matters.' Nigeria, he emphasised never defaulted in payment because
      the deal, 'was of great benefit to Nigeria.

      "'John Fashanu has been used by the church of Scientology, an organisation
      that considers me to be their greatest enemy in the world. His
      investigator is a full time worker for Scientology. He has been given this
      reports that I can be discredited as an effective critic of scientology in
      USA, Europe - France and Germany. This is vendetta on Scientology's part
      against me and they are using Fashanu and Nigeria as a tool. The
      investigator, Robert Clark for Fashanu goes by two other different names
      i.e. David Lee and David Laubach. I have spent over $4 million of my
      money fighting Scientology in the last five years, helping people who have
      been hurt by Scientology. I am exposing scientology for the type of
      totalitarian organisation they are, they like to hide behind religion,
      they are not a religion but a political movement. They say that anybody
      that speaks against them is a criminal. They have people prosecuting me
      for criminal actions. They have used different mechanisms to get me
      arrested and to stop being a critic of scientology. That is really what it
      is all about.'"

      > Org News

      Virginia McClaughry reported that Scientology is starting a campaign to
      get all Clears who have left Scientology back in the organization.

      "There is a program to get all the FSM's, and anyone else that can be
      gotten, to contact, and get in comm with the 26,000 Clears that have not
      moved on the bridge, and/or are out of comm with the Church."

      > Tom Padgett

      An update to the legal case of former Scientologist Tom Padgett was posted
      to a.r.s this week. Tom's wife in a custody and child support case is
      being represented by Scientology attorneys.

      "The extradition hearing in Massachusetts on July 21st was uneventful.
      Tom's lawyers got it delayed to August 8th. Scientologist Laura Padgett
      issued filed on the 12th of July in the 4th Judicial Court in
      Madisonville, Kentucky, threatening Tom with a whole new criminal grand
      jury indictment if he didn't show up in that courtroom on August 7th to
      answer charges why paper work is missing between the local prosecutor and
      Tom's former lawyers in Louisville, who just with withdrew for publicly
      and due to insufficient funds to compensate them for their time."

      "The July 12th motion from the pro-Scientology prosecutor David Massamore
      reads in part: 'If Padgett does not return and if the court sets a
      sentencing date which Padgett fails to attend, the Commonwealth will seek
      an indictment for bail jumping.' This is odd because the bail was posted
      in Massachusetts not Kentucky. The Co$ and a small handful of Western
      Kentucky politicians want Padgett 'isolated' and are relentless in their
      pursuit of new and creative ways to imprison him."

      > Protest / Revenge Summary

      Protests in Clearwater this week were opposed by Scientologists including
      Dennis Clarke, a Scientologist and radio host in the Tampa area.

      "Just as Ursula Caberta's press conference was getting underway, someone
      pointed out a lurker on the third floor of the parking garage behind the
      trust. Dennis Clarke, local a.m. talk radio spokesclam bustled past me and
      my female cohort, elbowing me and almost knocking her down. He then turned
      and ascended the stairs, yelling at me to stop taping him. He then punched
      me in the stomach while yelling that I was harassing him! He shouted that
      he wanted me to stop pointing the camera at him, so I pointed it down and
      he punched me again in the stomach, this time in full view of the lens! He
      then left, and I alerted the police who were nearby, but they could not
      find him."

      Report from a protest at the Fort Harrison:

      "Dennis Clark arrived, bumped and pushed Bob. He then strolled the
      sidewalk, bumping and intimidating. He stomped on Mark's toe, and stuck
      gum on his camera. He then assaulted me, though I didn't file a report or
      charges. He grabbed my arm and scratched it a little, pushed me with his
      elbow and tried to make me drop my camera. Mark and some others did file
      reports with CWPD, who were really cool to us all."

      From Jeff Jacobsen:

      "Tonight Bob Minton, Mark Bunker, Duncan Pierce, Grady Ward, Gerry
      Armstrong and I picketed in front of the Ft. Harrison Hotel from about 9
      to 10pm. A woman came and said to each of us 'you picked a bad night,
      there are hundreds of us coming! You should leave now!' 60-100
      Scientologists converged on us, waving small US flags for some reason.
      They immediately began shouting and screaming at us and getting in our
      faces. They continued this the whole hour.

      "A small boy, maybe 9, kept his flag in front of my camera for 10 minutes
      straight, so I finally asked an officer if something could be done about
      that. She said no, but at least the kid got scared and quit. There were
      times I was deliberately bumped into and pushed, but nothing too bad. The
      cops seemed completely bewildered as to what to do, and actually parked a
      paddy wagon in front of Flag and opened the back door. The cops took
      Dennis Clark aside finally and told him to go home They also pulled
      another woman out who had been literally screaming in Gerry's ear. She was
      given a warning.

      "People were slapping Dennis Clark on the back as he left, a job well
      done. The little kids that they bring are learning this hate and will no
      doubt continue it to the next generation."

      David Rice posted a summary of the audio portion of the videotape footage.

      "It's Mark Bunker! Are you allowed to talk? Do your leaders allow you to
      talk? Are you going to get out of that cult. How much longer are you going
      to do what they tell you? Can you talk for yourself? Can you think for

      "You're Nazis! We don't like Nazis in America! We don't like Nazis in
      America! Go home to Germany with Ursula! That's where Nazis belong!

      "Come on Minton! You're a big tough man! This is our turf! This is our

      "[singing] and the home of the brave! Fuck you! Fuck you! Fuck you! Go
      back to your Nazi friends Minton! Go back to your Nazi friends! No balls,

      "[to Grady] Are you doing Stacey too or is that just Bob? You have taken
      your eternity and you've crushed it down to nothing. And when you find
      that out, you'll hang yourself!

      "[chanting] Hey Bob! Get a Job! Hey Bob! Get a job! Hey do you belong to
      the KKK?"

      Report from another protest at the Fort Harrison:

      "A few Flag vans drove right up on the sidewalk, one driver especially was
      trying to use his van to intimidate Bob as he walked with his sign, but
      the police quickly intervened and had some strong words with the driver.
      Bob made sure we thanked the Scientologists for allowing us to peacefully
      picket this time, and of course we thanked the police for their presence.

      "The counter picketers with their cookie-cutter signs walked around the
      LMT for about an hour after the picket ended. They mostly picketed on the
      back side of the building, which is almost like an alley, yelling Nazi,
      calling Bob the 'leader' and asking us all how much we get paid."

      From Jeff Jacobsen:

      "About 11 of us picketed the Ft. Harrison Hotel from about 7:45pm to
      9:15pm. This picket was much quieter than last time since the
      Scientologists were apparently ordered not to yell and scream at us just
      inches from our faces for the entire time as happened previously. A
      smaller group simply stood against the entrance and taunted us.

      "They had their vans come by every few minutes and load or unload people.
      A group of Scientologists would try to block the sidewalk by making a
      human corridor to the van. The FUNNY thing about this was that most of the
      people coming and going in the vans were THE SAME FEW PEOPLE!!! Despite
      being told to do otherwise, the van drivers kept trying to drive right up
      onto the street, thus blocking most of the sidewalk. So the goal seemed to
      be to restrict the sidewalk as much as possible for us picketers.

      "A few Scientologists came and picketed both entrances to the Trust. The
      cops came over and kept an eye on things again. All the picket signs said
      'Fascist Central' and appeared to be photocopies. I went out with the
      autopsy photos and tried to get the picketers to look at them. Ian
      Shillington finally came over to me and said he'd look at them but he
      needed to take them from me so he could keep moving while picketing, and
      he'd look at them while picketing. I said no way and just held them out so
      he could view them. He did look at them as did the other picketers and the
      2 Scientology videographers there. After they finished looking they went
      right back to their rants about 'how much is Bob paying you?' and such

      Keith Henson described additional protests and reported revenge actions by
      Scientology's PIs for his protests at Hemet's Gold Base.

      "The row of hedge plants on the top of the dirt berm in front of (*)'s
      house had been pulled out. I had walked about a quarter way toward the
      main gate when thug 2 was let out of a car. He tried the same, walking
      slow in front of me, so I went out in the road to get around him, and
      walked fast enough he could not get around me. Brent went far enough with
      his giant letters NO OTS HERE sign and then turned around to get back to
      the car exactly as I did."

      "Today I heard from my folks. Seems that Scientology has two people
      picketing them, and has had them out there on the road above their house
      for some time. My Mom requests that CoS either replace them or give them
      some better clothes. She doesn't mind the pickets so much as the ragged
      poor image they show in a fairly upscale neighborhood. The local police
      are 'protecting' the PIs by telling my irate neighbors that the PIs have a
      right to sit in their cars overnight, and technically not telling me I am
      under surveillance. But they also comment that they have *never* even
      heard of such a stupid operation.

      "The PI who annoyed my friends and tried to get dirt on
      me in Tucson is:
      Kirk Fowler
      (480) 443-4740
      7845 E. Evans R9
      Suite F
      Scottsdale, Az 85260"

      Arnie Lerma attended a protest by Scientologists at the French Embassy in
      Washington, DC, to protest a law against mental manipulation by cults.

      "I made a sign up big letters 'Viva le France, a nation with courage to
      project its children from mind rape of Scientology.' It was raining
      heavily. 8 clams got there at 12:15. I managed to get a parking space 20
      ft down from them across from embassy entrance on their side of street. I
      pushed the sign out drivers window, then proceeded to use Paper Horn Tech.
      Yelled 'No OTS There' 10X; 'Vive la France' 10X; 'Vive la France, a nation
      with the courage to protect its children.' I started yelling OTIII through
      megaphone; 75 million years the evil ruler Xenu etc etc.

      "3 minutes later the clams went home at 12:45. During the picket, Sylvia
      and Thierry came over to car to hassle us. Sylvia stood in the street for
      a few minutes blocking out sign Thierry wanted me get out of the car, I
      was quite happy to stay dry and warm. I just opened car window and started
      yelling 'No Ots There' through megaphone at Thierry. He couldn't deal, and
      starting doing chicken imitation going 'cluck cluck.' Sylvia said 'our
      plans are working to run bob minton out of all his money. Then we will get

      "Folks were turning around from across the street when I was aiming at
      Thierry on the sidewalk. We got smiles and thumbs up from French leaving
      their embassy, some with children. I came, I blew my horn, they ran."

      Wesley Fager reported protesting Scientology at the French Embassy the
      next day.

      "I staged a one-man protest yesterday at the French Embassy in Washington,
      DC in support of that government's efforts to enact legislation on what
      should and should not constitute a bona fide religion. My sign declared
      'Scientology: Church of Greed' from the Times Magazine front-page article,
      'L. Ron Hubbard was a liar and a fraud', 'Xemu: Evil Galactic Ruler', and
      another slogan saying 'ask them if they use lie detectors in church
      confessionals?' After a little over an hour an attractive brunette woman
      came out of the embassy and started writing down what my signs were
      saying. She left and five minutes later a white TV van with satellite
      antennae on top pulled up across the street. It was then I learned that
      the Concord had crashed and they were there for that. I left immediately."

      Roger Gonnet protested in Lyon at a Scientology event this week.

      "I've picketed the event given in Lyon by Scientologists for 2 and half
      hours yesterday, between 2.30 pm and 5 pm. I was wearing a Xenu tee-shirt,
      with the image of Xenu. Perhaps no more than a group of a few persons
      every 3 or four minutes, coming around the corner where they were. Very
      few people accepted their leaflet. They were offering roses. The entrance
      of the bar was blocked by two large panels bearing photos and texts with
      'The religion of Scientology'.

      "As soon as they got their invitations or roses, I was running after them,
      and giving them a xenu leaflet with the 365,000 dollars cost, plus my
      site's address. I did it even at 10-20 meters from them without them
      seeing it! I distributed some tens of leaflets myself.

      "I saw the criminal Jean-Jacques Mazier, the one who was sentenced to 3
      years jail in France for homicide, fraud and extortion They were about 10
      inside or outside, one of them wearing a blazer with 'Crusade for
      religious liberty.'"

      "Barb" and David Rice protested twice in San Diego this week.

      "We took the 'Scientology, $360,000 Space Alien Scam' sign and a bunch of
      Xenu fliers and hit the street for fun and entheta. Many people commented
      on our matching 'Scientology Kills' T shirts, and shared tales of
      personality tests in different cities. We wound up wandering the streets
      downtown aimlessly for a few hours.

      "We planted ourselves on the corner of 4th and Ash, right outside the org.
      Many honks and thumbs up there; finally, somebody from the org saw us. I
      saw several male scienos peeking at us from around the front door, David
      noticed a pair of females peering at us as well. They were completely
      non-confront, we never even got to speak with a clam at all! There are
      apartments kitty-corner to the org, David noticed several flashes from an
      upper window, as if we were having our picture taken!"

      "By actual count, six people walked up and asked us where they could buy a
      'SCIENTOLOGY KILLS' tee-shirt. Most folks had horror stories about being
      abused and mistreated by the Scientology folks. One guy who stopped and
      asked for a flyer had one day walked past the Celebrity Center and some
      'sexy guy' walked up to him and started to flirt with him. The guy thought
      this was great, and when the 'sexy guy' ask him to follow him down the
      street a bit. They went into a Org and there was Hubbard's books staring
      him in the face! The guy took a staggered step or two back, and ran out
      the building.

      "We spent about 18 minutes outside the crime syndicate's brainwashing
      center, talking to folks. 100% support, 0% negative towards our message.
      The only time we received a negative Ack was from a Scientologist who said
      'You people are weird.'"

      "Saturday was a bit more of the same: 12 more Xenu flyers passed out!
      One person told us about how his friend was lured into the Org just up the
      street with a promise of a free lunch. The guy went into the Org and was
      given a 'free personality test.' He was then sent up stairs via the
      elevator but there was something very, very odd with this elevator: it
      went up but would not go down! The guy went from the 'free personality
      test' and then the 'orientation' film, and then wanted DESPERATELY to
      flee. He left the 'orientation' film, and told folks he was no longer
      interested; he then went into the elevator and tried to get to the bottom
      floor, but it refused. The body router said there was a separate elevator
      to go down: without an escort the person would never find it. Needless to
      say, he did NOT get a 'free lunch' as promised."

      > Tilman Hausherr

      Tilman Hausherr reported that he has lost a case of libel against
      Scientology in Germany.

      "I have lost the lawsuit in which two Scientologists sued me, and I will
      have to pay about $250, plus legal fees (which will be about $100). The
      court held that the 'quiz' I made is indeed libelous, but it said that the
      legal fees of the cease and desist letter were too high. The
      scientologist's attorney had unilaterally set the 'litigation value' to DM
      30000. The court considered this to be way too high, and set it to DM

      > UK

      The Telegraph reported on July 30th that Scientology plans to use the
      European Human Rights Convention to again attempt to get some status as a
      religion in the UK.

      "The Church of Scientology, described by a judge as 'corrupt, sinister and
      dangerous', plans to use guidelines on religion and belief in the European
      Human Rights Convention to gain recognition in Britain and conduct
      official weddings. It is allowed to perform official marriages in South
      Africa and is recognised as a religion in Sweden. Now its leaders in
      Britain claim it is 'just a matter of time' before it receives similar
      recognition here. Liberty, the civil rights group, also says that the
      church has 'a viable case' under the Human Rights Act, which comes into
      force on October 2.

      "Mona Arshi, a legal officer at Liberty, said: 'We contemplate that there
      will be a number of challenges from religious groups under articles 9, 12
      and 14 in the Human Rights Act. I would say that they [Scientologists]
      have a viable case.' The Scientologists are pinning their hopes on
      anti-discriminatory articles in the Act which, they say, support their

      "Last year, the church's application for charitable status for the purpose
      of 'the advancement of religion' was rejected by the English Charity
      Commission, which ruled that it was not of 'public benefit'. But Graeme
      Wilson, the public affairs director of the Church of Scientology, said
      recognition was now coming 'from across the globe'. He said: 'The
      Government in the UK has committed itself to a policy of
      non-discrimination against religion and human rights. We believe that the
      Human Rights Act will make it much more difficult to discriminate against
      religion. We are a religion. It is a question of getting official
      recognition.' It was then 'a matter of course', he said, to win the right
      to perform marriages."