A.r.s Week in Review

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 14, 1999

      Free A.r.s Week in Review subscriptions are available, just email me at
      rkeller@...
      It is archived at:

      > Battlefield Earth

      The Dark Horizons web site carried a description from the set of
      Battlefield Earth this week, the movie in production based on a book by L.
      Ron Hubbard.

      "I had reservations about this movie, Battlefield Earth based on a book
      written by Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard and of course with
      Travolta's involvement, one has to think Is this an attempt to mainstream
      Scientology beliefs into our movie theaters? But after reading the B.E.
      script (revised and revised, I might add!) and researching this L. Ron
      Hubbard person, I found that this movie is based on a great
      science-fiction story! L. Ron Hubbard it seems was a ordinary writer way
      back in 1930's, writing 1000's of stories for pulp magazines, mostly
      science fiction. The religion of Scientology didn't seem to get started
      until later in his life, and it seems just a way to make money!
      Scientology does have a website for this movie WWW.BATTLEFIELDEARTH.COM. I
      rank this new B.E. movie somewhere between Planet of the Apes and Star
      Wars.

      "At exactly 11:55am I notice people coming out of their office's and sure
      enough there he was! Shaking hands, hugging people, John Travolta, with
      short grayish hair and goatee had arrived! He seemed to be very friendly
      and accommodating to everyone. He actually looked down the hall at me and
      nodded. Travolta then disappeared into one of the many offices. The rest
      of the day went well, I grunted and yelled in my man-animal costume just
      liked the director wanted."

      #####

      > Belgium

      Agence France Presse reported on October 1st more details on the raids in
      Belgium on Scientology locations last week.

      "The police have confiscated thousands of files on members of the
      Scientology organization in Belgium. As related by a speaker from the
      state attorney's office in Brussels on Friday, Scientology bookkeeping
      documents had been also been secured on the day previous to the search and
      seizure. According to the statement, no charges were immediately placed.
      Several suspects were interrogated and later released. According to the
      Brussels state attorney's office, the confiscated documents contained
      confidential statements about members of the organization. At least five
      bank accounts had been opened in Luxembourg which had a connection to the
      Scientology organization. 90 million marks were said to have been
      deposited in one in 1993. This account had been divided into 15
      sub-accounts, with names like 'Tor' for Toronto, 'Toky' for Tokyo, 'Los'
      for Los Angeles and 'Cura' for Curacao in the Dutch Antilles. This was
      said to be legal, however, it aroused the suspicion that Scientology had
      intended on concealing its worldwide financial structure, continued the
      newspaper. Belgium is 'obligated' to also look into the finances of the
      sect via Luxembourg."

      > Catherine Bell

      Orange Coast magazine published an interview with Scientology celebrity
      Catherine Bell this week.

      "I'm really passionate about Criminon. Have you heard of Narconon? Well,
      I'm really interested in the criminal justice system and criminal reform.
      I don't think we reform, or even to attempt to reform, criminals. We just
      make them worse. We take a criminal, whether he's a first-time offender or
      a hardened criminal or whatever and we throw him into a system where...
      the biggest reason why most criminals become criminals is a lack of
      self-respect. We take away their self-respect even more, we give them NO
      respect in return, and we throw them into a system where they're just
      hanging out with other criminals.

      "Q: You've talked about being a Scientologist. How do you feel about the
      media having this love/hate relationship with Scientology and some of the
      other high-profile practitioners like Kirstie Alley, Tom Cruise and John
      Travolta?

      "CB: I'm a little tired of it. It's, like, enough already! You know, it's
      a religion and we've been around for 50 years. You wouldn't say the things
      about Scientology (that are said) substituting the word 'Jewish' or
      'Catholic.' You would never hear those things. It would be soooo un-PC! I
      had an acting teacher who was a Scientologist (Milton Katselas) and after
      about eight years, I kinda started looking around and thinking, 'OK, wait
      a minute... All the people that are in class who are Scientologists are
      really cool! They have great relationships and their careers are going
      really well, and they're doing well financially, and I started adding it
      all up and going, 'Hmmmmm, what is that?!' So I took a Scientology course
      called 'Personal Values and Integrity' and it really made me change some
      things in my life.

      "I did some auditing (exercises) to handle some auditioning problems I was
      having three years ago or so, and I got to the bottom if exactly what the
      fear was that made me freak out on auditions. When I did, it went away
      completely. Two days later, I had my final call-back. I KNOW that if I
      hadn't figured that out and done that Scientology auditing, I would have
      gotten a little nervous and I just know I wouldn't have gotten it."

      Events on the Clearwater city calendar were posted to a.r.s this week.

      "Sep. 26. Church of Scientology Swing Fest '99, musical entertainment,
      Coachman Park, 5:00 PM to 7:30 PM, call Mahriah Pearse at 423-6112 for
      information.

      "Dec. 19. 11th Annual Say No To Drugs Holiday Classic, 5K and 10K runs
      beginning at the Bayfront and ending on Clearwater Beach, Dianetics
      Running Team Event."

      News from nearby Safety Harbor that the World Literacy Crusade is
      conducting a benefit auction.

      "The World Literacy Crusade is having an auction of celebrity crap in
      downtown Safety Harbor, FL at the famous Safety Harbor Spa. The town is on
      the east side of Pinellas County, bordered by Oldsmar to the north, Tampa
      Bay to the east, and Clearwater to the south and west. The spa is built
      over a natural spring, and features all the usual upscale health and
      beauty services, along with a not-so-healthy dose of New-Age-y stuff like
      herbal wraps and reflexology. This Saturday from 7-9 pm, the WLC is
      auctioning off crap donated by such luminous celebrities as John Travolta
      and Tom Cruise. They've also got stuff from Tony Dungy, head coach of the
      Tampa Bay Buccaneers, as well as a whole bunch of other dupes who probably
      just heard 'literacy!' and said 'why not?'."

      #####

      > David Miscavige

      An affidavit by Scientology leader David Miscavige was posted to a.r.s
      this week. It was filed in the Wollersheim case, in which Lawrence
      Wollersheim is attempting to have Scientology pay a multi-million dollar
      judgment, even after bankrupting the Church of Scientology of California.
      Some excerpts:

      "A great deal has been made of my role and authority in the Scientology
      religion because of my position as RTC's Chairman of the Board. Let me
      emphasize that I am not 'Chairman of Scientology.' It is RTC, as a whole,
      that is responsible for the orthodoxy of the Scientology faith. It then
      follows that as Chairman of RTC, its most senior executive, I am entrusted
      with the ecclesiastical position that has the highest scriptural authority
      within the religion. My authority derives exclusively from that position
      and extends no further than RTC's mission. In summary, my job is to ensure
      RTC carries out its function of assuring the orthodox and proper use of
      the Scientology religious 'technology.' My duties are completely unrelated
      to, and I do not participate in, the ecclesiastic governance of the many
      churches of Scientology around the world. That function is performed by
      Church of Scientology International.

      "As Chairman of RTC, I am not the 'successor' to L. Ron Hubbard. Plaintiff
      attempts to mislead the Court regarding Mr. Hubbard's and my role in the
      religion. Mr. Hubbard was the Founder of the religion and the sole Source
      of its Scripture. In that capacity, he will never have a 'successor.' A
      primary and fundamental doctrine of our faith is that the teachings be
      kept pure and that the only source of those teachings is Mr. Hubbard. When
      plaintiff and his witnesses say I am 'just like L. Ron Hubbard,' that is
      the highest compliment one could receive in the Scientology religion, if
      their intention were to communicate that I am keeping the religion true to
      his teachings. Of course, their statements are accompanied by an
      inaccurate and negative description of Mr. Hubbard's character and role in
      the religion. But even if that were not the case, I would still reject
      their compliment as I simply am not and never will be what Mr. Hubbard was
      to the religion. By way of analogy, consider an apostate Roman Catholic
      claiming, in the context of litigation, that the Pope is 'just like Jesus
      Christ, and assumed his role after Christ's death.' Needless to say, this
      would be offensive to any Roman Catholic, as a matter of religious belief.
      The Pope may be the keeper of the Roman Catholic faith, but it would be
      heresy to say he was, in any manner, Christ himself.

      "I do not disregard the corporate lines of authority, responsibility or
      control of any church of Scientology. Contrary to the allegations of
      Wollersheim's declarants, lines of corporate authority in RTC, and its
      relationship to other churches of Scientology, are firm and I see to it
      they remain that way. Because of these allegations, the IRS review of RTC
      and all other churches of Scientology, had as a primary focus of
      investigation the corporate and financial integrity of those churches.
      After the most exhaustive review of any non-profit organization in
      history, the IRS found such allegations to be without basis, not only with
      respect to Mr. Hubbard's relationship with the churches of Scientology
      when he was alive, but with respect to the relationship and integrity of
      all Scientology churches since that time.

      "Most offensive to me are the allegations that I or any church has taken
      any steps to harass the plaintiff or his witnesses. It is I and others in
      the Scientology religion who have been, and currently are being harassed
      in the most despicable manner possible. I am aware that as a member of a
      new and minority religion, what I am experiencing is nothing new in
      history. Indeed, any prominent member of society is subject to attack and
      scrutiny. As such, I do not respond to every allegation or threat leveled
      at me. If I did, it is highly likely I would spend my entire life
      responding to charges such as those in this case.

      "One of the most frequent and most inflammatory allegations civil
      litigants have made is to allege that 'Fair Game' is being practiced today
      on the basis of what the GO did in the 1970's, dredging up their illicit
      activities and falsely ascribing them to those responsible for the GO's
      eradication. Since 1981, 1 have heard allegations of 'Fair Game' at least
      a thousand times, but I had never heard the term in my life until I
      encountered it in civil litigation. To this day, I have never heard the
      term used inside the church. No real Scientologist would ever condone or
      even consider such conduct. Wollersheim, along with his declarants, has
      resorted to making such generalized 'Fair Game' allegations by falsely
      ascribing GO-like conduct to the people who are responsible for ridding
      Scientology of the GO. He has done so not for the purpose of substance, as
      there is none to such allegations, but rather for the purpose of
      stigmatizing my religion and me.

      "As a final outrage, Wollersheim's attorneys - Charles O'Reilly and Leta
      Schlosser - allege that I threatened them in the courthouse elevator. The
      exact circumstances are these: While waiting by the elevator, I was
      standing with another Scientologist. Mr. O'Reilly and Ms. Schlosser were
      accompanied by a very large body guard. When the elevator doors opened, I
      stood waiting for Ms. Schlosser to enter first, out of common courtesy.
      O'Reilly's body guard said loudly, 'Let the midget go first,' in reference
      to my size (56"). 1 ignored his comment and rode down the elevator in
      silence. This incident was memorable to me given the circumstances of
      having just heard Mr. O'Reilly speak about my religion in the most
      offensive manner possible and about what a victim his client was due to
      church 'abuse' and having those claims followed almost at once by the
      astounding act of rudeness I have just described.

      "This case is not merely about Larry Wollersheim attempting to collect a
      judgment he achieved against CSC. The instant action is brought as part of
      his anti-Scientology crusade. Wollersheim, acting through FACTNet Inc.,
      his corporation which supports anti-Scientology litigants, has engaged in
      a pattern of virulent attacks directed at me by exploiting a hate-filled,
      anti-Scientology Internet news group. I give but just a small sampling of
      some of this harassment: The anti-Scientology Internet news group - 'Alt
      Religion Scientology' (ARS), was created with a posting to which my name
      was forged as the author. In 1993, I was accused, in a case in which I was
      not even a party, of having murdered my mother-in-law. The coroner
      established that the death was not a homicide. The personal impact of such
      an outrageous lie was immense for both my wife and me. In 1997, as part of
      his defense of the FACTNet litigation, Wollersheim accused me of having
      murdered Mr. Hubbard to obtain control of his Estate and the churches of
      Scientology. He attempted to contact Mr. Hubbard's family, telling them
      that they had been deceived by me into giving up their legacies since Mr.
      Hubbard donated his copyrights and wealth to the religion. This was not
      only harassment of me, but of Mr. Hubbard's widow and children who remain
      devout Scientologists. Yet Wollersheim, a well known Scientology hater
      purports to care about their husband and father's legacy.

      "Wollersheim's financial backer, Robert Minton, has posted my face on the
      Internet for use as target practice, has threatened to burn me in effigy
      in front of church buildings, and, spurred on by Minton, other
      anti-Scientologists then spoke of 'forgetting the effigy and just doing it
      for real.' Prince has protested in front of our spiritual Mecca,
      threatening 'Tell David I'm coming with a dick so big I'm gonna knock his
      goddamn spine out.' Wollersheim has repeatedly threatened to have me sent
      to prison and his attorney announced the formation of a club to have
      church leaders 'buggered [sodomized] before breakfast' every day."

      #####

      > Lawrence Wollersheim

      Lawrence Wollersheim posted an update on his lawsuit and the status of the
      Factnet organization.

      "I am continuing to manage Factnet as it continues to grow. Factnet just
      recently broke the 10,000,000 hit mark and has has once again focused on
      Scientology education. Factnet is currently getting as many as 25,000
      unique visitors per month who are learning quite a lot more about why they
      do not want to give Scientology all their money to buy a mental therapy of
      covert hypnosis and trance induction conned off as pastoral counseling.

      "I am forcing Scientology into a court decision in LA superior court where
      they will have CSI and RTC declared the legal alter-egos of the Church of
      Scientology of California and that the appearance of corporate integrity
      between these corporations is a sham. This undoes their past corporate
      reorganization and turns all their IRS tax exempt status applications
      claiming their related corporate entities are separate into a mush of
      fraud that will eventually undo their tax exemptions."

      #####

      > France

      Newswire dpa reported on October 2nd on the disappearance of documents
      from a French court room.

      "In the middle of the romantic waterway of the French capitol, the Saint
      Martin Canal in the east of Paris, a picturesque, lighted houseboat sways
      back and forth. The boat with the name of 'Margaux' is the temporary
      residence of special commissioners from the US-based Scientology
      organization. The American envoy has had the assignment of recruiting new
      members in the higher centers in France. Since then the French officials,
      and primarily Justice Minister Elisabeth Guigou and Alain Vivien, the sect
      commissioner who reports to her, have again taken up arms, so far without
      success, against the organization which sees itself as a religious
      community under its founder, Ron Hubbard. Since the beginning of
      September, documents having to do with the Scientology trial at the
      Marseille State Court have been disappearing by the pound, two weeks
      before a trial of seven members of the organization, the political
      leadership is standing on its head and the media are officially flailing
      them.

      "Guigou described as 'very serious' the scandal in Marseille in which an
      allegedly clueless court employee chased 3.5 tons of court documents into
      the file shredder, among them the Scientology documents, because she
      believed that the trial was already over. The presiding president of the
      French National Assembly, Raymond Forni, 'Not for one second' did he
      believe in an oversight, much rather the documents were to have been
      intentionally taken out of circulation in order to impede the proceedings
      against Scientologists who have been charged with fraud. In France, the
      organization controlled at least 100 businesses, including private
      schools. The number of members was said to be about 10,000.

      "Sect specialist Vivien has described Scientology as 'extremely
      dangerous,' but he added that the influential group could not be generally
      banned due to the liberal French laws. On top of that, the Scientology
      association would have to be implicated in a serious crime first,
      according to a 1936 law."

      Zenit News Agency reported on October 5th on French opposition to
      Scientology on the Internet.

      "Some 100 French internet surfers have formed a forum of international
      discussion on the web from which they confront the supporters of the
      Church of Scientology and attempt 'to combat the sermons of the followers
      of the sect.' One of the most active members of this forum is Roger
      Gonnet, a former member of the Church of Scientology and author of the
      book 'The Secticide,' which distributes free, by electronic mail, secret
      documents of the sect. According to Gonnet, in order to prevent the
      dissemination of these documents, the scientologists have created more
      than 1,500 web sites created to confuse surfers who are trying to find the
      pages of the sect's detractors."

      #####

      > Keith Henson

      Keith Henson posted an appeal to the United States Supreme Court of his
      judgment for violating the copyrights of Scientology.

      "Was the decision of the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals so violative of
      Petitioner's First Amendment right to freedom of speech that this Court
      should exercise its power of supervision to (a) review and correct the
      clearly erroneous fashion in which the statutory defense of fair use to
      copyright infringement was interpreted and applied and (b)�vacate (or
      order vacated) on First Amendment grounds both the wrongful injunction
      against Petitioner and the punitive imposition on Petitioner of a large
      statutory damages award and a large legal fees award?

      "In the alternative, if the Ninth Circuit correctly interpreted and
      applied existing precedents, does the First Amendment require that each of
      the four factors of the statutory fair use defense to copyright
      infringement instead be applied liberally in favor of an alleged infringer
      when the alleged infringer has engaged in political speech and social
      commentary with no effort at financial gain and when the alleged infringer
      can be threatened with a punitive award of statutory damages?

      "Although Petitioner had repeatedly - in his open letter to the District
      Court, during the hearings on the TRO and preliminary injunctions sought
      by RTC and in his pro per papers opposing RTC's motion for summary
      judgment - stated that he believed that the First Amendment to the United
      States Constitution protected his right to criticize the TRO issued in the
      Ward action and criticize Scientology, the District Court's summary
      judgment decision appeared to ignore Petitioner's First Amendment
      arguments. The First Amendment went unmentioned in the court's lengthy
      Memorandum order granting summary judgment to RTC.

      "The jury found that Petitioner had willfully committed copyright
      infringement, and awarded RTC $75,000 in so-called 'statutory damages'
      under the Copyright Act. None of these damages is compensatory. All are,
      in effect, punishment. Scientology has reportedly touted this $75,000
      award as the largest statutory damages award ever recorded for a single
      copyright infringement. As a result of his inability to pay these
      judgments against him, Petitioner has filed for bankruptcy protection
      under Chapter 13 of the federal bankruptcy laws.

      "This case will have a severe chilling effect on both political speech
      directed at the government and critical speech directed at institutions.
      The chilling effect will not come from the formal opinions of the courts
      below, which will continue to be hidden beneath the blanket of
      non-publication. The chill will emanate instead from the tremendous
      publicity that the case has received and will receive, both in the
      traditional press and on the Internet, where the case was born.

      "The message that has been communicated to the public by press and
      Internet coverage of Petitioner's case is this: The Copyright Act is the
      Arctic wind of First Amendment Rights. In the face of that wind, it does
      not matter that an individual who reproduces an institution's 'secret' and
      'unpublished' documents in order to make a political point has published
      only a small fraction of an entire work. It does not matter that the
      individual will not benefit financially from the publication. It does not
      matter that the institution holding the copyright will not be commercially
      harmed. It does not matter that copying a small fraction of the work
      verbatim, rather than paraphrasing it, serves to give the accompanying
      political comment weight and saves it from being sloughed off as
      exaggeration or inaccurate paraphrase. Nothing matters except the property
      rights of copyright owners."

      "Fier" reported a protest this week at the Canberra, Australia org.

      "Today, (Oct 7), Goombaj, Xemuson, Fier, Fier's Mother, (The sister of
      Fier took Photo's and the brother of Fier hung around for moral support),
      picketed The Org in Canberra, Australia, from 11:50am-2pm. About 230
      flyers, (Space alien scam, insane cult, Xemu, and one of Xemuson's
      creation) were handed out. Poor old Jamie joined us with an inferior sign,
      covered in gibberish. One side said something about an 'axalotl', and I
      cannot recall what the other side said. About the place were 'Kiddie
      Clams', who spent most of the time hiving out balloons. I'd guess there
      was a dozen or so about the place. The The reception of the public was
      extremely good, with most either taking flyers, or congratulating us."

      "AndroidCat" and "Wulfen" protested in Toronto this week.

      "After a busy morning, I met Wulfen at 12:47 in front of the usual coffee
      place, and we set off for a Short Sharp Picket. I had my 'shrank the
      Lisa/Xemu' flyer, Wulfen had his and this time we had enough! The picket
      sign was '$cientology wants your money *and* your life', but I couldn't
      find the stapler, so it was just a hand-held single panel. Not a whole lot
      of flyers, not a huge amount of traffic."

      "The only person in the org building (that we could see) was the
      receptionist, who did the usual frantic phone-calling. That, and a kid who
      wandered past into the org carrying what I think was an OEC volume, who
      gave me the usual thetan-evil eye. After ten minutes, two bike-mounted
      police officers showed up. Turned out they were coming to check up on us
      or some such thing, because of the call AndroidCat gave. The officers gave
      us the usual spiel then ascertained that we were the usual crowd, went to
      the doughnut shop opposite the org and ignored us.

      "Then we saw it! The green minivan! With licence plates saying 'THETAN'.
      Toronto not only has a Dianetics Car, it has a Thetan Minivan."

      #####

      > Russia

      Reuters reported on October 7th that a Scientology school in Russia has
      been ordered to close.

      "A Russian branch of the U.S.-based Church of Scientology is threatened
      with closure after a court found it guilty of teaching without a licence,
      a judge said on Thursday. The Hubbard Humanitarian Association branch of
      the international group fell foul of complex laws requiring all
      organisations conducting teaching courses to obtain a permit. 'The court
      has declared the registration illegal and ordered the founders to
      liquidate their organisation,' Judge Oleg Denisevich of Ostankinsky
      District Court told Reuters. Alexei Danchenkov at the Hubbard Humanitarian
      Centre admitted the group had made some minor errors when applying for a
      permit in 1993, but said these had been corrected in 1997. The doors to
      Moscow's Hubbard Humanitarian Association do not risk being shut until
      after the group has had a chance to appeal to a higher court in the next
      few weeks."

      From The Associated Press on October 8th:

      "In the latest move against a foreign religious group, a court today
      revoked the license of the Moscow center of the Church of Scientology
      because of problems with its registration papers. Prosecutors said they
      began investigating the Humanitarian Hubbard Center after receiving dozens
      of complaints from parents about attempts to influence their children. The
      license was revoked because names that appeared on the registration
      documents were found to have no connection to the center, officials said."

      From The Moscow Times on October 8th:

      "The Moscow center of the Church of Scientology, a controversial
      international organization, has lost its license after a city district
      court ruled that the group's registration documents were not in order. The
      Humanitarian Hubbard Center, which has been operating in Moscow for six
      years, said Wednesday's ruling was politically motivated and part of a
      Russian Orthodox Church effort to limit the influence of other faiths.
      Prosecutors say they first began looking into the center's activities
      about two years ago after receiving dozens of complaints from parents
      about the Scientologists' methods of teaching their children. Earlier this
      year, the city prosecutor's office and the tax police raided the center's
      office in northeast Moscow, confiscating boxes of paperwork. 'We examined
      their documentation and found they had broken the law when registering,'
      Yevgeny Manerkin of the prosecutor's office said Thursday.

      "In the registration documents submitted to the Justice Ministry, three of
      the 10 people listed as founders of the center were found to have no
      connection to it at all, Manerkin said."