    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 6, 2003

      Letters to the editor of the St. Petersburg Times on June 30th again
      discussed the role of Scientology in downtown Clearwater.

      "I am incensed over the Times' pointless attacks on my religion. I have
      been a Scientologist for over 20 years. I do not understand why you
      continually print editorials or articles which portray Scientology in such
      a negative light. I do not see any such treatment of Christianity or
      Judaism.

      "The Times has a constitutional right to print whatever it sees fit, just
      as its readers have their right to express their opinions. As a practical
      matter, however, we see all around us examples of how exercise of these
      rights can lead to prejudice, bigotry and even war. I feel it is the
      responsibility of the Times in its exercise of its rights to be careful
      not to promote an atmosphere where discrimination and mistrust can grow.

      "Religious intolerance has been part of man's history since the dawn of
      civilization. Your contribution to it by publishing inflammatory articles
      and editorials on Scientology is irresponsible and brings your motives
      into question. - John J. Beachy, Belleair

      "Although I agree that past errors should not be a basis on which to judge
      an organization for eternity, in this instance it is wise to remember.
      When the FBI raided Scientology offices, some of the documents that they
      recovered included plans to set up then-Clearwater mayor Gabe Cazares for
      a staged hit-and-run accident; to infiltrate local newspaper offices; and
      to set up a former Scientologist who had written a book on her
      experiences. In fact, Scientology so successfully accused her of crimes
      which she had never committed, that she was arrested until the truth came
      out in those seized documents.

      "This very paper ran a story in March of this year that included
      information on Richard Weigand, who is still a very active member of the
      church and who was convicted of one of those 'past mistakes.' The mistake
      was conspiring to conceal theft of government documents. Mary Sue Hubbard,
      wife of Scientology's founder, was also convicted. Has she been purged
      from the church?

      "I was a member of Scientology for 20 years. I have lived in the
      Clearwater area since 1995 and have no intentions of leaving. I want to
      say: Do not forget what happened in the past. Do not forget that all of
      Scientology's activities are, per their own policies, geared only toward
      forwarding their own aims and purposes.

      "The people of Clearwater can see with their own eyes what Scientology has
      contributed to them; we are not led by the nose by the St. Petersburg
      Times. However, it is by remembering the past and keeping a keen eye on
      the present that we will be able to embrace the future from a fully
      educated viewpoint. - Teresa S. Summers, Dunedin

      Dave Bird reported a protest at the London Scientology org on June 28th.

      I arrived at the venue early before the others, but we soon had a good
      crowd crowd comprising Dave, Jens, Hartley, Katie, Tony, SteveCT, plus
      Andy and Pam. The clams were quite snappy, but I was in remarkably good
      voice and spirits. I did the mic 95% of the time. Tony went on the mic for
      a few minutes too, and a guy came past who laid into the clams based on 20
      or 30 years of experiencing them. We just gave him the mic and let him
      rip!!

      The police were there at the start of the start of the demo. They were
      particularly concerned that the sidewalk south of the Org, which was
      already narrowed by scaffolding, should not be further obstructed by
      leafleters and we carefully complied with this by staying at least 5
      meters north of there.

      "The most notable feature for me was that I acquired a barnacle, who
      persistently stood in front of me with his back to me. I responded by
      using him as an example 'this is your mind on Scientology, staring with a
      googly-eyed look and parroting his few set phrases. I couldn't see the
      reaction on his face, but others tell me he was becoming a bit of a
      steamed clam."

      #####

      > Tax Exemption

      The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported on June 30th that Scientology is
      appealing a decision by St. Louis County in Missouri that it is not
      entitled to a tax exemption on the org building

      "The Church of Scientology is fighting the decision by St. Louis County
      to deny tax-exempt status to the group's property at 6901 Delmar Boulevard
      in U. City. Armstrong Teasdale's Donald Beimdiek filed an appeal on
      behalf of the Scientologists. The county Board of Equalization denied the
      group's exemption, saying the property was not 'regularly used exclusively
      for religious (or) charitable' purposes, as required. The Scientologists
      have an identical appeal pending before the St. Louis County Council. The
      county billed the building's former owner $10,277 in 2000, the last year
      taxes were assessed on the building."

      #####

      > Tampa

      The St. Petersburg Times reported on July 6th that Scientology has bought
      another cigar factory building in Tampa, Florida, and plans more expansion
      in the area.

      "A group of high-ranking Scientologists, concerned the church's Tampa
      facilities aren't up to snuff, is investing more than $2.5 million to buy
      a second cigar factory in West Tampa and to lease and renovate a two-story
      building on one of the hottest corners in Ybor City. The church's three
      properties, staffed by nearly 100 people, will be the base for
      Scientology's most aggressive appeal for members to the Tampa Bay
      community.

      "This 'dissemination' campaign, primarily focused on Tampa, often comes in
      the form of an invitation to take a personality or aptitude test. It will
      be bolstered by television advertising and taking to the street to spread
      the word.

      "The remarkable growth spurt for the Church of Scientology in Tampa began
      this spring with the grand opening of the newly renovated Andres Diaz
      building. It was purchased last year for $1.2-million. The church then
      moved to acquire a smaller cigar factory next door, for use as a community
      center. Now under lease, the church plans to buy the building in September
      for $425,000. The church spent $500,000 renovating this second cigar
      factory and its newly opened Life Improvement Center in a leased brick
      building on Eighth Avenue, in the heart of the Ybor entertainment
      district. Well-dressed staff members fan out in the crowded streets
      nightly to offer free 'Scientometric Testing.'

      "'We want to make ourselves more known,' said Wayne Fuller, a
      Scientologist for 31 years and executive director of the Tampa church.
      Fuller is one of an elite group of Scientologists who have completed the
      highest levels of Scientology training, called OT ambassadors. The OT
      ambassadors living in the Clearwater area had talked for years about
      upgrading the Tampa church, he said.

      "Clearwater Scientologists played a key role. Fuller, the Tampa church's
      executive director, Louise Cournoyer, who runs the community center in the
      recently opened second cigar factory, and Peggy Guigon, who runs the Life
      Improvement Center in Ybor, all commute to the Tampa church from
      Clearwater.

      "The church estimates it has 12,000 members in the Tampa Bay area; 5,000
      in Tampa. Fuller said about 800 of the Tampa parishioners are active
      members, who are taking courses or participating in church services.

      "Personality tests, a popular tool used by the church to introduce
      Scientology to the uninitiated, are showing up on windshields at hockey
      games. Cards inviting residents to Scientology Sunday services can be
      found on countertops of diners and delis around town. Newspaper
      advertisements tout the benefits of the church's 'purification rundowns.'
      What's more, the publishers of Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard's book
      Dianetics have begun making an area push with television ads and a
      campaign to place Dianetics books in prominent displays at local
      large-chain bookstores, Shaw said.

      "A team of some 200 field staff members of the church also spreads the
      word about Scientology at flea markets and other events throughout the
      region. Field staff members are not employees of the church, but make
      commissions on what the people they bring to the church spend on
      materials, courses and services. Some make a living out of it.

      "The Tampa church also plans to add another 20 to 30 employees. The 93
      employees of the church are paid based on a percentage of what the church
      collects in fees for services during a given week. General, full-time
      staffers typically earn about $200 per week, Fuller said. Unlike
      employees at Clearwater's Flag, called Sea Org members, Tampa staffers pay
      for their own living arrangements.

      "The church has also begun reaching out to its neighbors in West Tampa.
      During walks around the predominantly Hispanic West Tampa neighborhood,
      church spokeswoman Ana Tirabassi said she was told by many that they would
      like help learning English. So the church offers English as a Second
      Language courses on Monday and Tuesday nights in its community center. 'We
      want to be part of the community,' Tirabassi said."