    Message 1 of 1 , May 18, 2003

      > CCHR

      Zap2it.com reported on May 17th that Scientology plans to protest against
      the annual convention of the American Psychiatric Association in San
      Francisco.

      "Actress Kelly Preston plans to lead a protest with hundreds of supports
      from the Church of Scientology against the American Psychiatric
      Association's annual convention in San Francisco on May 19. Preston says
      she's protesting the psychiatric organization's recent opposition to
      federal legislation designed to keep parents from being coerced by school
      officials to give potentially addictive psychiatric drugs to children.

      "Other celebrities such as Priscilla and Lisa Marie Presley, Juliette
      Lewis, Isaac Hayes, Anne Archer, Catherine Bell and Lynsey Bartilson have
      spoken out at rallies and testified before the House of Representatives
      Government Reform Committee on this issue since last September. The actors
      are involved with the Citizens Commission on Human Rights - a mental
      health watchdog founded by the Church of Scientology. The group says that
      since the beginning of 2003, 16 states have introduced laws that would
      prohibit the practice of psychiatrists using teachers to identify children
      as mentally disordered and forcing parents to give drugs to their children
      as a condition for them continuing school."

      #####

      > Housing Authority

      Connecticut newspaper the Greenwich Time reported on May 16th that a
      Scientologist in charge of the local housing authority has retired.
      Benjamin Little was involved in a lawsuit by an employee who claims his
      termination was religious discrimination.

      "Benjamin Little retired yesterday as chief executive officer of the
      Greenwich Housing Authority because of health problems that began earlier
      this year when he underwent emergency colon surgery, he said. Little said
      his decision to retire was based on a desire to spend more time with his
      family and not on a lawsuit that alleges Little, a Scientologist, fired a
      former employee because of religious discrimination. Scientology is a
      philosophy based on creator L. Ron Hubbard's teachings of self-discovery.
      'The lawsuit still goes forward,' Little said. 'The suit's going to be
      there. My leaving does not affect the suit.' The housing authority and its
      board are also named in the suit."

      #####

      > Interfaith Day

      An email sent to Scientologists invited them to participate in an
      Interfaith Day of Prayer being sponsored by the Los Angeles Police
      Department.

      "You are invited to join president CSI, Heber Jentzsch; Chief Bratton and
      Reverend Leonard Jackson, of the first AME Church at CC Int on Sunday!
      LAPD Religious Advisory Forum is holding this Interfaith Day Of Prayer to
      recognize the commitment of the officers of the LAPD.

      "This short event will be at the Pavilion at CC Int, from 5 to 6:30 on
      this Sunday, May 18th. The C of S Choir has organized an interfaith choir
      to perform. Your attendance would be appreciated. It is important that our
      Church shows its utmost respect to the men and women of the LA Police
      Department."

      Dave Bird reported a protest at the Birmingham, England org on May 10th.

      "We did another picket of the Scientology cult's offices which are in
      Churchill House on the floor above Pizza Hut in New St. Present were Dave,
      Jens, John, Neil, Katie and Tony. We had a gas cylinder and the
      ever-popular Xemu Loves You helium balloons, white ones and clear ones. We
      also have some 7 inch PVC inflatable space aliens with Xemu Loves You
      printed on their little foreheads.

      "The clams seem to have had their own promotional event in Library Square.
      We split three and three when the gas cylinder ran out, half the group
      going up there to check it out, but whatever it had been was already have
      dismantled by the time our 3 got there."