    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2 9:23 PM

      > Hulda Clark

      Consumer Health Digest reported on January 28th that the U.S Federal Trade
      Commission has brought charges of false advertisement against a
      Scientologist and a non-profit organization headed by Hulda Clark.

      "The U.S. Federal Trade Commission has charged the Dr. Clark Association,
      Behandlungzentrum GMbH (a Swiss company), and Scientologist David Amrein,
      a Swiss citizen who is the sole officer and director of both, with falsely
      advertising devices and herbal products related to the theories of Hulda
      Clark. The complaint, filed in an Ohio federal court, alleges that the
      defendants made unsubstantiated representations that the Super-Zapper
      Deluxe device is effective to kill bacteria, viruses, and parasites in the
      human body, and is effective against chronic infections, cancer, and AIDS,
      is effective to cure diabetes, multiple sclerosis, Alzheimer's,
      endometriosis, asthma, and many other diseases.

      "Hulda Clark is an unlicensed naturopath who obtained her 'degree' from a
      nonaccredited correspondence school. She has written several books and
      operates a clinic in Mexico where she offers treatment for cancer and
      other serious diseases. In 2001, the FTC obtained a consent agreement with
      another company selling Clark-recommended products."

      A Scientology press release on January 30th claims that nine churches of
      Scientology have been recognized in Germany as a tax exempt organization.

      "The Federal Finance Office, Germany's equivalent of the IRS, this week
      issued ruling letters to the Church of Scientology International, granting
      full tax exemption on license payments it receives from nine Churches of
      Scientology in Germany. The decision by the Federal Finance Office means
      that for the first time the Los Angeles-based mother church of Scientology
      is officially recognized as tax-exempt in Germany. CSI has now received
      exemptions for license fees due from all German churches: Munich, Hamburg,
      Stuttgart, Berlin, Frankfurt, Dusseldorf, Eppendorf, and the Church of
      Scientology Celebrity Centres in Munich and Dusseldorf. Each exemption is
      valid until the end of 2005 and three are retroactive to 1994.

      "The Federal Finance Office's decision to grant CSI exemption follows a
      precedent-setting decision in October 2002 by the German Federal Tax Court
      in Cologne. The Court ruled that Scientology Missions International and
      the International Hubbard Ecclesiastical League of Pastors qualify for
      exemption under a 1989 income tax treaty between the United States and
      Germany. Following the ruling in October, the Federal Finance Office
      informed Scientology representatives that the German government would not
      appeal and that the decision clearly applied to CSI as well."

      > Ireland

      The Irish Times reported in articles on January 25th, 30th and 31st on the
      progress of a case of a Dublin woman who is suing Scientology for
      misrepresentation and violation of constitutional rights.

      "A woman former member of the Church of Scientology had her free will
      compromised because of dependency, intrusion and pressure, a Canadian
      professor who claiMs. to be an expert on the practices of the church told
      the High Court yesterday. Prof. Stephen Alan Kent said he was concerned
      about the nature of dependency which grew from the process of dianetics
      which, he said, would focus on negative events in a person's life. He said
      Ms. Mary Johnston had developed a dependency relationship because, it
      seemed, a member of the church, Mr. Tom Cunningham, had used these
      techniques, and she was under constant pressure to join Scientology."

      "A woman told the High Court yesterday that she had become aware of a
      change in her sister at about the time the latter became associated with
      the Church of Scientology. Ms. Margaret O'Kelly, from Edenderry, said she
      had always been very close to her sister, Ms. Mary Johnston, but became
      aware of a change in her, through 'a lot of little things,' in the early
      1990s. Ms. Johnston was involved at that time in dianetics with Mr. Tom
      Cunningham, a member of the church's mission in Dublin. Up to then, her
      children loved to see Ms. Johnston coming to visit, but over a period of
      time they would say: 'Oh no, not Auntie Mary.' She felt that her children
      did not want Ms. Johnston around.

      "Ms. O'Kelly said that her sister had talked a lot about dianetics and had
      said that it involved auditing. Her sister had talked a lot about
      dianetics and wanted to use it to do away with Ms. O'Kelly's 10-year-old
      daughter's grumpiness. Ms. O'Kelly said she felt this was an imposition
      and she was worried about it. Ms. O'Kelly said that Ms. Johnston had acted
      totally out of character. She would insist that she was right and
      Scientology would always be brought into it.

      "In August 1993, her husband's cousin had died suddenly and, despite the
      fact that Ms. Johnston was close to him, she was apathetic about what had
      happened. Ms. O'Kelly said she was appalled that her sister did not go to
      the funeral but rather talked about reincarnation. She showed no empathy
      with anybody and this was 'totally out of character.'"

      "While she was with the Church of Scientology, Ms. Mary Johnston was 'like
      somebody playing a role in a pantomine', the High Court was told
      yesterday. Mr. Paul O'Kelly, brother-in-law of Ms. Johnston, said he found
      Ms. Johnston was dealing with him in a planned and structured way and
      there was no genuine effort to engage.

      "Yesterday, Ms. Margaret O'Kelly, sister of Ms. Johnston and wife of Paul
      O'Kelly, said she and other members of her family made efforts in early
      1994 to get her sister to meet them to view material, newspaper cuttings
      and videos about Scientology. Before she invited her sister to the
      meeting, members of the family needed time to research Scientology and to
      gather as much information as they could, Ms O'Kelly said. They contacted
      Ms. Johnston and arranged to meet in Edenderry on May 2nd, 1994.
      Initially, Ms. Johnston wanted to know why and rang every day for two
      weeks to find out the name of a book they had about Scientology and where
      they had got the information.

      "Ms. O'Kelly said she and her mother arranged to meet Ms. Johnston at 2
      p.m. but she did not turn up until 6 p.m. Ms. Johnston never apologised
      for being late. They wanted her to make up her own mind when she saw the
      information they had. Ms. O'Kelly said her sister was not relaxed and was
      very tense, with a continuous grin on her face. She was under stress. She
      refused to read any of the material they had. By 8 p.m., their mother was
      getting upset because Ms. Johnston could not bring herself to read the
      material.

      "Ms. O'Kelly said she had asked her mother to leave and she did. After
      that, Ms. O'Kelly said, she herself broke down and told Ms. Johnston they
      loved her and did not want her to disconnect from the family. Ms Johnston
      then said she would read the material. They talked about family matters
      and the tension was gone. The next morning, Ms. Johnston said there was a
      lot of questions to which she wanted answers. Ms. O'Kelly said her sister
      told her she was very frightened. Ms Johnston had said there were things
      that Ms. O'Kelly did not know about her but which the Scientologists knew
      and that she was afraid they might reveal them."

      John Ritson reported a protest on February 1st at the London Scientology
      org.

      "Approximately ten suppressives had sunny albeit cold weather to picket
      the Tottenham Court Road 'org.' The 'org' was as downstat as usual. No
      students, only the regulars on the Foundation shift (apart from one
      newcomer in a light brown leather jacket, who just stood around chewing
      gum as if his life depended on it - we never actually saw him chew and
      walk at the same time). After the obligatory telephone call to get their
      orders, and the obligatory visit from the police, who made it clear to
      them that we were perfectly entitled to picket them, we spent a couple of
      hours leafleting and enturbulating.

      "Even the normal receptionist only turned up and took photographs after an
      hour. Before that they had been handing out Issue One of a news sheet
      about education (basically a puff piece for their private Greenfields
      School near Saint Hill - notorious for the 'death classes' and the
      'withhold-pulling' sessions). After an hour they just went inside and hid.

      "We remained outside, and had lots of support from the passers-by, as long
      as we made it clear that we were AGAINST Scientology. After a couple of
      hours we ran out of leaflets and retreated to a warm pub."

      #####

      > Lisa Marie Presley

      Salon.com reported on January 30th that Lisa Marie Presley's new album is
      filled with references to Scientology.

      "Lisa Marie Presley's forthcoming album sure sounds more and more like one
      you're gonna wanna rush right out and buy, especially if you happen to be,
      say, Tom Cruise, John Travolta or one of Hollywood's other ardent
      Scientologists. Elvis' little girl tells Launch.com that the title track
      of her CD, 'To Whom It May Concern,' is an anthem dedicated to spreading
      the word of one L. Ron Hubbard, of whom she is a follower.

      "'This is me. This record is me. Every song is me. You're going to see who
      I really am and not what the tabloids say or whatever anyone has to say
      about me,' Presley told the music Web site. And while she's on her musical
      soapbox, the estranged Mrs. Cage also plans to take a moment to sing loud
      and proud about one of her favorite causes: the dangers of overmedicating
      children."

      #####

      > Christopher Reeve

      MSNBC reported on January 27th that portions of a new book by Christopher
      Reeve describe his experiences in Scientology.

      "The 'Superman' star once dabbled in Scientology, but Reeve doesn't give
      it a rave review in his memoir, 'Nothing Is Impossible.' Reeve describes
      how he took courses and underwent numerous, expensive 'auditing' sessions
      during which he was quizzed about his life, including his drug use
      history, while hooked up to an 'e-meter' machine designed to get to the
      truth.

      "But Reeve says he 'grew skeptical' of the whole process and told an
      outrageous lie - which wasn't caught by the auditor or the e-meter. 'The
      fact that I got away with a blatant fabrication completely devalued my
      belief in the process,' Reeve wrote. He felt similar disillusionment with
      various alternative religions and cults he encountered in Hollywood."

      #####

      > In Memoriam

      The St. Petersburg Times reported that Scientologist Daniel Wagner passed
      away on January 24th.

      "WAGNER, DANIEL H., 45, of Clearwater, died Friday at Morton Plant
      Hospital, Clearwater. He came here in 1995 from his native California. He
      was a self-employed computer consultant. He was a member of the Church of
      Scientology, Clearwater and was a Marine Corps veteran."

      #####

      > Russia

      Interfax reported on January 27th that a group that supports Russian
      President Vladimir Putin have held rallies against Scientology in St.
      Petersburg.

      "Members of the Moving Together organization have started an indefinite
      rally in protest of the Church of Scientology on Vosstaniye Square in
      downtown St. Petersburg. Vasily Yakemenko, the movement's leader, told
      Interfax on Monday that 'the organization's activists have been living in
      a tent at the entrance to the sect's headquarters for the past five days.
      A huge sign indicates the sect's location to city authorities and
      passers-by. Several tens of thousands of citizens have already signed a
      request to close the sect that will be sent to St. Petersburg Governor
      Vladimir Yakovlev,' Yakemenko said.

      "He specified that the sect's victiMs. already include hundreds of St.
      Petersburg residents. That is why the city's public has given such strong
      support to the rally. 'We believe that this sect is a Satanic cult and
      poses a criminal threat. We hope that the city's authorities will take all
      the necessary steps to close the sect,' he said, stressing that his
      organization intends to continue its protest until the sect has been fully
      removed."

      #####

      > Volunteer Clean-up

      The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported on January 20th that Scientologists
      participated in a clean-up weekend to fix up apartment buildings in
      Kinloch, Missouri.

      "Volunteer workers spent Saturday and Sunday sprucing up the old Dunbar
      Gardens apartment complex in Kinloch. Hours after Casetta Rosborough had
      started cleaning the long-abandoned apartment, she said in a cheery voice,
      'This is beginning to look like a home.' Rosborough and about 135 other
      volunteer workers spent Saturday and Sunday fixing up the old Dunbar
      Gardens apartment complex in Kinloch.

      "Kinloch acquired them from the Kinloch Housing Authority in October 2002.
      Faith Beyond Walls, an organization based in St. Louis, is helping to get
      the apartments ready for occupancy this spring or summer, at fair-market
      rental rates. 'This apartment was pretty rough when we got here,' said
      Rosborough, a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in
      Hazelwood, one of the many groups that make up Faith Beyond Walls. 'You
      should have seen the bathroom. I didn't want to touch it.'

      "Tom LoGrasso scrubbed black mildew that had collected along the wall of
      one apartment. The pungent smell from the cleaning solution didn't seem to
      bother him. And scrubbing hard made the mildew disappear. LoGrasso came as
      part of a contingent from the Scientology Church of Missouri, in
      University City. 'We believe that you can do something positive and make a
      difference,' he said. 'The apartment really isn't so bad. This is the
      worst spot. There must have been a waterbed here.'"