    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 12, 2003

      > Cloning

      The Glendale News-Press reported on January 10th on the position
      Scientology has taken in the controversy over human cloning.

      "While some local religious leaders believe human cloning could provide
      advancements in health research, others fear the concept allows human
      beings to play God.

      "For Father Joseph Shea of Holy Family Catholic Church, the sense of
      family commitment would be adversely affected if advances in human cloning
      were pursued. 'It's taking the family expression of love and reducing it
      to a laboratory,' he said. 'As Catholics, we believe the body and soul
      will be reunited in the Resurrection. I don't understand why people would
      want to clone themselves. The body would not have the same soul, it would
      not be the same person.'

      "Jean Dale is a minister of Scientology, and spokeswoman for the Glendale
      and Los Angeles areas. To members of her faith, how the body is created is
      not something of importance. 'We believe that man is a spiritual being
      that inhabits his body,' she said. 'It means they never die, and go from
      one body to the next. What is important to us is that genetic research,
      and any research, is approached responsibly and ethically.'"

      #####

      > Tom Cruise

      The Associated Press reported on January 10th that Scientology celebrity
      Tom Cruise is using the publicity over the shooting of his latest movie to
      denounce the use of drugs to tread Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity
      Disorder.

      "Hollywood star Tom Cruise advised parents on Saturday to work hard to
      help children having problems at school and not immediately put them on
      medication. 'Today in America I know they are so quick to put children on
      drugs because they are not learning well,' Cruise told reporters before
      the start of shooting of his latest movie, 'The Last Samurai,' outside
      this North Island city.

      "Cruise said he went to 15 different schools as he was growing up and had
      a 'very difficult time' with formal learning. He eventually tackled his
      learning problems with the help of 'study tools' from the Scientology
      religion 'that have helped me to be able to educate myself,' he said."

      From Stuff Magazine on January 12th:

      "Nothing succeeds like niceness and Tom Cruise's niceness is like golden
      rain. Yesterday he poured it over a sweltering black press room in New
      Plymouth and everyone bathed in its glow.

      "After the Te Huatahi concert party had karangaed and serenaded him he
      fumbled a scrap of paper out of his pocket: 'I've got a little help here,'
      he said, 'because I don't want to make a mistake. E Nga Iwi O Taranaki,'
      he blurted in Californian Maori, 'Tenna Katow, Tenna Katow, Tenna Katow
      Katoh.' The Maori party greeted this with a friendly explosion of welcome
      but then they had a low key Kiwi charm to match his. Wharehoka Wano, the
      Maori speaker who accompanied Cruise and spoke for him, said in Maori 'I'm
      already being mistaken for Tom Cruise'. The Maori instantly guffawed; the
      Pakeha journalists; and the trio from Hollywood listened to the
      interpreter and burst into delayed laughter.

      "Perhaps his performance lacked a little in grit. This after all is a
      Scientologist and Scientologists believe that in the past billions of
      surplus beings from other planets were sent to Earth and slaughtered an
      evil alien called Xenu. Is there some dark weirdness beneath that golden
      grin? Well, the star explains, Scientology helped him overcome his
      dyslexia and his famously broken education (15 schools!)"

      #####

      > Denmark

      The Associated Press reported on January 10th that Scientology has been
      fined for making defamatory statements in an edition of Freedom Magazine.

      "The Church of Scientology was fined by a Danish court Friday for
      publishing defamatory remarks about an east German filmmaker and a Danish
      journalist described by the church as having links to the former East
      German secret police. Anette Refstrup, the Danish editor-in-chief of the
      Frihed, or Freedom, was fined 10,000 kroner (US$1,370) and the church was
      ordered by the Copenhagen City Court to pay court fees of 130,000 kroner
      (US$17,800).

      "In 1999, Frihed published a story that claimed filmmaker Walther
      Heynowski worked for East Germany's Stasi and trained Danish journalist
      Joergen Pedersen. The article was published after the Church of
      Scientology tried to stop Pedersen from making a television show critical
      of the church, which is not recognized as a religious organization in
      Denmark.

      "Heynowski, a German citizen, and Pedersen worked together on the show.
      They sued the church for defamation and demanded 250,000 kroner
      (US$34,200) apiece. Among those who testified in the trial, which started
      in October, was former East German spymaster Markus Wolf, who denied
      Heynowski had worked for him."

      die Kirche, a Christian newspaper in Berlin and Brandenburg, Germany
      reported on January 12th that Gerry Armstrong and Thomas Gandow will
      participate in a religious service in Berlin-Charlottenburg.

      "He used to work directly with L. Ron Hubbard as a staff member in
      Scientology's public affairs and secret service: Gerry Armstrong. He first
      came upon the 'findings' of science fiction author Hubbard when he was 22
      back in 1969, and was filled with enthusiasm for the promises of the
      psycho-guru. In 1981 Gerry Armstrong left Scientology. What happened after
      that was nothing especially strange to the former secret agent:
      psychoterrorism, attempted attacks upon his person and court proceedings
      with trumped-up charges. One result of this was that Armstrong is no
      longer allowed to address himself to the topic of Scientology in the USA.

      "Even in Berlin, Scientology has attempted to silence the the insider gone
      out. So it's no surprise that the church commissioner for issues of sects
      and weltanschauung, Rev. Thomas Gandow, sees a continued need for
      information work in dealing with the Scientologists. He has referred to
      the dangers of the organization many times in lectures for the public and
      in job enhancement training for ministers and religious instructors.

      "The Focus divine service, where Gerry Armstrong and Rev. Thomas Gandow
      will speak, will take place at 11:30 a.m. January 19, 2003 in the
      Luisenkirche on Gierkeplatz in Berlin-Charlottenburg."