  • rkeller@voicenet.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 30, 2000

      Free A.r.s Week in Review subscriptions are available, just email me at
      rkeller@.... Subscriptions are also available on ONElist. Email
      weekinreview-subscribe@onelist.com or see http://www.onelist.com

      > Mark Bunker

      Mark Bunker, the creator of Xenu-TV, was arrested in Chicago this week for
      allegedly trespassing during the filming of a couple attempting to get a
      refund at the org. A description of the events from the couple was posted
      to a.r.s.

      "We were walking up to the door, I was behind [my husband] and Mark was
      behind me. And I remember two guys in black jackets coming up and they
      start grabbing Mark. They really roughed him up! They grabbed his arms and
      he started saying, 'Who are you?' They tried to get the camera out of his
      arms but he had a grip on it. They then said, 'We're Chicago Cops' and we
      said, 'Where's your uniform? Where's your ID?' and he said, 'Forget it
      lady, it doesn't matter who I am'. I said 'Why are you doing this to him,
      why are you pushing him around?' Then they knocked his cell phone to the
      ground.

      "This whole time he was holding his camera, he wouldn't let go of his
      camera. He didn't provoke anything! We were only on the sidewalk, we
      weren't even on their property. They told us to come for the meeting at
      7:30 so we come to the meeting and they attack this guy for nothing. We
      were standing away from the door, I'm behind [my husband] and Mark was
      behind ME so he was WAY outside!

      "They took the camera he had a cell phone on and he was trying to call
      someone he said, 'I wanna call my lawyer, I wanna call somebody.' And they
      said 'You're going down, we're going to lock you up and that's it'. They
      wanted his camera and they were gonna lock him up. They never said 'turn
      off the camera, back up'.

      "I didn't go inside because I said to the policeman that I knew, 'I'm
      scared. What if they get me in there and never let me out? The lady (Pam?)
      from New York, she said they were hired to protect them. So they were
      hired by the org, and that's why they jumped him. So they wanted us to
      come inside, they said, 'We have a nice warm place for you inside, you
      know, with a dictionary and blah blah blah.'

      "She said, 'I want you to sign the waiver' I said, 'We have a lawsuit
      against Marcus. You think I'm going to sign this? Do you think I'm crazy?
      You'd better give me all my money back.'"

      Jim Beebe posted additional details.

      "Mark at this hour is at a Chicago Police station trying to retrieve his
      camera. He was arrested last night while standing on a public sidewalk out
      side of the Church of Scientology in chicago at 3011 No. Lincoln ave. He
      was charged with criminal trespassing, an outrageous violation of his
      civil rights.

      "Two Chicago dentists, husband and wife, have been trying to get their
      money back from the Chicago Church of Scientology. They claim that they
      were swindled out of a lot of money. The Chicago Church of Scientology has
      been stalling them and giving them a run around. This couple has gone to
      the Org several times and each time getting more stories and run arounds.
      Mark Bunker, a television journalist in florida heard about this and
      decided to interview them.

      "This couple has filed a lawsuit against the Marcus Group. The Marcus
      Group is one of scientology's management front groups and this couple
      claims that they were lured into scientology via Marcus. The wife was
      conned into buying and taking the Purification rundown and recently
      discovered that she has liver damage from this and is now unable to get
      health insurance. Also, she is now unable to work. They have a son in a
      private school and the cult tried to use their son to recruit other
      students."

      From "Shukaido":

      "The camera was returned shortly before 9PM Central time. However, when it
      was presented to him, the tape was missing. Just so there's no doubt here:
      According to Mark, the tape was not taken by the police as evidence, it is
      missing."

      #####

      > CCHR

      Scientology issued a press release this week urging that federal funds be
      cut for research into mental health.

      "The Citizens Commission on Human Rights said the National Institute of
      Mental Health's (NIMH) $7.5 billion expenditure on psychiatric research
      has failed to provide any real or workable knowledge regarding human
      behavior. The research only serves to stigmatize all living experience as
      mental disorders. 'The latest bid by Harvard Medical School psychiatrist,
      Dr. Alvin Poussaint, to have racism listed as a mental disorder shows
      there is no limit to psychiatry's imagination, redefining even evil as a
      mental illness,' Ms. Jan Eastgate, International President of CCHR,
      stated. 'NIMH funds for studies dealing with birds, crickets and prairie
      voles should be axed, not be redirected to other psychiatric research.
      Give psychiatrists a dime and they'll simply invent another disorder.'"

      From the letters to the editor of the St. Petersburg Times this week:

      "Is now the time for citizens of Clearwater to begin discussing recall for
      a majority of those on our City Commission? The much-touted roundabout on
      Clearwater Beach, at a cost of $11-million, is seemingly a traffic
      disaster. The Scientologists seem very pleased by the prospect of a major
      downtown project, and now that they seem to have a friend in Mayor Brian
      Aungst, they most of all might benefit from any projected improvements.
      Perhaps they would even consider contributing funding to help the project
      along. Let's see some recall petitions instead of just a lot of carping
      about the direction in which Clearwater seems to be going. -- Will Perry,
      Clearwater"

      "I just returned from a City Commission meeting (Jan. 20) and was amazed
      to hear Robert Minton speak. It appears he has moved to our city to kick
      off an anti-Scientology campaign. This evening not only did he speak
      against the Church of Scientology but also was negative in his remarks on
      a local law firm and city officials, namely Mike Roberto, Bob Keller and
      Diane Smith, who are all upstanding, capable city employees. The Church
      of Scientology is one of the major players of downtown due to its being
      the major property owner and, therefore, they should have a voice in
      downtown's development. They are active in volunteering and contributing
      to the success of downtown. If his campaign works, it will divide us, and
      if it does not and he leaves, then the remaining citizenry will have to
      repair the damage. -- Robert Fernandez, Clearwater"

      Clearwater police have instituted a zone on the street behind
      Scientology's Bank building and the Lisa McPherson Trust where pedestrian
      traffic is restricted while Scientology buses are loaded and unloaded.

      "The status of the white lines changes hour by hour. Each set of police
      officers hired by Scientology, paid for by Scientology (at a rate of
      $21/hour for 18 officer-hours per day, $2,646 per week, $137,592 per year
      if they keep this up) has been give a different set of instructions. Some
      have directed citizens of Clearwater away from the block entirely, some
      have said the sidewalks are closed from 11:00 to 1:00 and again from 5:00
      to 7:00, some have said the zone applies to everybody except
      Scientologists, others have said it applies only to employees of the
      Trust. Sometimes it seems to apply to all buses and vans, other times only
      to real buses, not vans.

      "There have been paper handouts to the officers, explaining the policy,
      which have been replaced by clarified handouts, which have been replaced
      by still more clarified handouts, all within the same shift of officers.
      The point is supposed to be that officers will not be swayed by claims
      from OSA, but it seems to me with all the revisions that they are making
      up the rules as they go along, trying to stay within what the city lawyers
      are saying is legal, but bowing to pressure from the City Manager's
      office.

      "If anybody is found to be in violation of the voluntary, they would be
      subject to charges of Obstruction [and] Failure to follow a legal
      directive."

      #####

      > Bob Minton

      Scientology has filed to extend the Temporary Restraining Order against
      Bob Minton to include several employees and board members of the Lisa
      McPherson Trust.

      "Petitioner, Richard W. Howd, Jr., by his undersigned counsel, moves the
      court for the entry of an order clarifying the court's temporary
      injunction heretofore entered on December 2, 1999, in this action.

      "Respondent has utilized a number of persons as surrogates who have
      engaged in acts of harassment against staff members and parishioners of
      the Church of Scientology in Pinellas County, Florida.

      "On November 3, 1999, Minton posted on the Internet an announcement
      regarding the formation of the McPherson Corporation. The announcement
      states that the purpose of the Corporation is to warn 'consumers that
      'Scientology and all other destructive mind control cults are dangerous to
      your health, your emotional well-being, your bank account and your very
      life.' Minton also identified a number of people who 'agreed to serve in
      various capacities' with the McPherson Corporation. Those identified
      include Stacy Brooks, Kim Baker, Grady Ward, Jesse Prince, Patricia
      Greenway, Mark Bunker, Peter Alexander, and David Cecere.

      "On January 5, 2000, the McPherson Corporation acquired an office building
      located at 33 North. Ft. Harrison Avenue, Clearwater, Florida. This office
      building is within 30 feet of the Church's Bank of Clearwater Building,
      503 Cleveland Street, Clearwater, Florida. Respondent selected this
      location so he and his agents would be 'in the face' of the Church, its
      parishioners and staff.

      "On January 7, 2000, at 5:00 p.m., Respondent and his agent, Grady Ward,
      ran up the back stairs of the Clearwater City Parking Garage from Waterson
      Avenue chasing Church staff members, Mike Rinder and Ben Shaw, shouting
      belligerently at them, and they threw a copy of this court's injunction
      inside Mr. Rinder's car. Mark Bunker, another of Respondent's agents,
      videotaped the scene while Respondent ran down the stairs and shouted
      'Mike Rinder, you're served,' so that he could be captured on video.

      "On January 8, 2000, at 4:30 p.m., two more of Respondent's agents, Jesse
      Prince and Patricia Greenway, trespassed on Church property by entering
      the northeast door alcove of the Bank of Clearwater Building to look into
      the building. Both then used the delivery telephone on the wall at the
      northeast end of the building. Officer J.W. Long responded to the Church's
      complaint, and issued an oral warning to Prince, who admitted he was on
      Church property.

      "On January 9, 2000, at 5:00 p.m., Jesse Prince and Mark Bunker filmed the
      West Coast Building and moved to film staff and students from in front of
      the Coachman Building on Cleveland Street. They moved again and relocated
      to the south end of Waterson adjacent to the Clearwater Bank Building.
      At 5:45 p.m. on the same day, Jesse Prince and Mark Bunker were filming
      across the street from the Clearwater Bank Building while Respondent and
      Grady Ward walked from the McPherson Corporation east entrance on Waterson
      toward Cleveland to join them. Grady Ward stood in the path of hundreds of
      Church staff members arriving and leaving from dinner and was repeatedly
      warned to keep moving and not block the flow of people. Respondent stood
      across the street shouting at Church staff members and directing his
      heretofore identified agents. Respondent directed Prince to go onto the
      sidewalk next to the Bank of Clearwater Building where Prince had
      previously been told to stay away by Clearwater Police. At 6:30 p.m. on
      the same day, Sergeant Beck and his partner from the Clearwater Police
      arrived on Waterson and called for another officer. Sergeant Beck read the
      injunction and enforced it on all McPherson Corporation members present.
      Grady Ward, Jesse Prince and Mark Bunker attempted to deny to Sergeant
      Beck that they are associated with the McPherson Corporation or
      Respondent. Sergeant Beck stated that Respondent is chairman of the board
      of the McPherson Corporation and that Ward, Prince and Bunker are acting
      as his agents. Sergeant Beck issued an oral cease and desist warning.

      "On January 13, 2000, Patricia Greenway, Jesse Prince and Mark Bunker, who
      are agents and servants of Respondent, came within 10 feet of the
      Clearwater Bank Building. Respondent, his agents, and those in actual
      concert or participation with him have selected the east side of Waterson
      Avenue, a narrow, one-way street, to conduct their campaign against the
      Church, its students and staff members. This location provides Respondent
      and his agents with an opportunity to get very close to at least 1,380
      Church members a day to videotape them, shout at them, and harass. them.

      "The evidence establishes that Stacy Brooks, Peter Alexander, Patricia
      Greenway, Jesse Prince, David Cecere, Kim Baker, Mark Bunker, Grady Ward
      and Lisa McPherson Trust, Inc. are agents and servants of Respondent, are
      controlled by Respondent, and are acting in concert and, participation
      with him with respect to the subject matter of this court's Amended
      Temporary Injunction."

      #####

      > Writers of the future

      Scientology issued a press release announcing the annual Writers of the
      Future contest.

      "The contest was founded by L. Ron Hubbard, shortly after the release of
      his best selling science fiction novel Battlefield Earth -- now in
      production as a major motion picture starring John Travolta. An acclaimed
      writer for over 50 years, Hubbard gave freely and generously of his time
      and energy to help others become better and more productive writers.
      Winners of the Writers of the Future Contest -- judged by such luminaries
      as Anne McCaffrey, Larry Niven, Frederik Pohl, Dave Wolverton and Kevin J.
      Anderson -- win cash prizes, superb trophies, a week-long writing workshop
      and publication in the L. Ron Hubbard Presents Writers of the Future
      anthology as well as the promise of critical recognition in the genres of
      science fiction ad fantasy."

      Giessener Anzeiger reported on January 20th on German concerns over
      Scientologist-created portions of Windows 2000.

      "Friedrich von Kymmel, Pomeranian Church Sect Commissioner, has called for
      a boycott against Windows 2000, the new computer program. The new
      operating system of the American software producer, Microsoft, contains
      'Deskita,' a defragmentation program prepared by the Scientology company,
      'Executive Software Corporation.' Kymmel emphasized that anybody who buys
      Windows 2000 or a computer with this software is paying the Scientology
      company, thereby financing, in part, the organization which has been
      categorized as hostile to the Constitution."

      Sueddeutsche Zeitung reported on January 21st that a Scientologist is
      demanding to know the contents of files kept on him by the constitutional
      security office.

      "It is rare enough for a judge to describe a decision by the Federal
      Constitutional Court as a 'legal catastrophe.' Yesterday that is what
      happened repeatedly. This was in connection with the case involving an
      attorney, Tersteegen who is a professed Scientologist and, in any case,
      wants to know what files Constitutional Security has on him.
      Constitutional Security does even want to tell him whether a dossier on
      him exists. Nevertheless, State Attorney Peter Samberger offered to have
      the case heard under appeal, presenting the files exclusively to the
      judges presiding over the court.

      "In a different case, the Karlsruh federal judges stated that it was
      unconstitutional for an agency to keep a file or information secret for
      reasons of state security; that was ruled to be a violation the guarantee
      of rights determined by Basic Law."

      Freie Presse reported on January 24th that the concern in Zwickau over a
      real estate company owned by a Scientologist has spread to Plauen.

      "The Independent Voters Association of Plauen has cautioned that the
      ongoing discussion in Zwickau about the Scientology member, Kurt Zwickau
      should be locally contained. Therefore the FWP has requested information
      from Plauen's chief mayor, Rolf Magerkord, whether and in what measure
      Fliegerbauer or his Osterstein Castle Management, Inc. own real estate in
      Plauen. FWP Chairman Verwer, 'What we are concerned about is that
      Scientology not gain influence in Plauen. '

      "Since that is what Fliegerbauer has done on the real estate market in
      Zwickau, the Independent Voter is interested in whether 'he also has tried
      to gain influence on people who are responsible for the development of our
      city through increased purchase of selected real estate,' said Verwer. He
      wants to find out about at least two buildings in Plauen which under
      Fliegerbauer's control. Those are the new building at Mendelsohn Square
      and Joessnitzer Street, which Fliegerbauer acquired several years ago from
      the HTM bankruptcy proceedings, and the Hypo-Vereins Bank building on 2
      Neundorfer Street.

      "On Monday, the city administration of Plauen stated that municipal
      property will not be sold to Fliegerbauer. 'The sale of private buildings
      is not under our control,' said press spokeswoman Sylvia Weck."

      From Vogtland Anzeiger on January 25th:

      "These days the city of Zwickau's connections to Scientologist and real
      estate dealer Kurt Fliegerbauer - whose Osterstein Castle Management
      Association Inc. has been buying and renovating properties in Zwickau for
      years - continue to grow as a topic of conversation in Plauen, where it is
      known that Fliegerbauer has also acquired property.

      "Besides the building on Mendelssohn Square, which Kurt Fliegerbauer
      acquired in the Plauen HTM bankruptcy proceedings, Verwer named another
      structure which belongs to the Osterstein Castle Management Association,
      Inc. on 2 Neundorfer Street, where Hypo-Vereins Bank also has its business
      offices. Up until two years ago a former resident of Plauen, who lives in
      Bremen and runs or ran a drug store there, had been owner of that real
      estate. In this connection, Verwer raised the question of whether
      Fliegerbauer had also 'tried to gain influence over people who are
      responsible for the continued development of our city' in Plauen with real
      estate sales activity."

      Hamburger Abendblatt reported on January 27th that secret papers have been
      obtained by Scientology in Hamburg.

      "The sect had access to a paper classified as 'secret'; it was part of a
      proposed Senate document for Interior Senator Hartmuth Wrocklage and State
      Advisor Wolfgang Prill. The 20 page document did not only contain
      assessments on Scientology, but also had description of other 'sects,
      psycho-groups and destructive cults,' as it said. The purpose of the
      document was apparently to extend the mission of the Work Group on
      Scientology, directed by Ursula Caberta, to other groups, as well as to
      review possible cooperation with Schleswig-Holstein in the area.

      "When asked how a 'secret' agency document could have gotten into her
      hands, Hamburg's Scientology President Gisela Hackenjos stated that the
      papers were sent to her anonymously by mail. By admitting to that she has
      demonstrated how far the long arm of Scientology had reached into the
      apparatus of government. Investigating, discrediting and shaking up
      opponents are all part of the way Scientology does business. 'Perhaps
      someone wanted to bring the Work Group on Scientology's expansion to our
      attention,' said Hackenjos."

      From Die Welt on January 28th:

      "A printed document classified as 'secret' which primarily dealt with
      evaluation of the Scientology sect is at the center of an investigation by
      Internal Affairs. The approximately one and a half year old document has
      now fallen into the hands of the sect. It was allegedly sent anonymously
      to Scientology. 'Currently an attempt is being made to delineate who
      received the document,' said Christoph Holstein, spokesman for the
      Interior Agency. Copies had been distributed to agency staff at the Senate
      Chancellory, the Agency for Schools, Youth and Career Development, the
      Work Group on Scientology directed by Ursula Caberta and in
      Schleswig-Holstein.

      "The main source of puzzlement is that the document is an older,
      superceded version. 'It is an exact copy of one of the original versions
      which was modified and redone many times. If there were actually a spy in
      the Interior Agency, he would have gotten the most recent document on the
      topic,' said an unnamed source from investigative circles."

      #####

      > Isaac Hayes

      Sister 2 Sister magazine carried an interview this month with Scientology
      celebrity Isaac Hayes about the World Literacy Crusade.

      "I'm the international spokesperson. It brings literature to the inner
      city. We feel like the culprit in the demise of the inner city is
      illiteracy. When a person can't read or write, they're a victim.
      Everyone wants to survive, but counter-survival methods are going out
      stealing, robbing and car-jacking. If you know how to read and write, you
      don't have to resort to those measures because there are always
      consequences. So when they learn how to read and write, 'Whoa! I can do it
      this way, I can do it that way,' they become more productive and they take
      on more responsibility. We're already doing it here in many different
      cities. We've got chapters all over and we're steadily opening new
      chapters. I like Ghana. They made me a king there a few years ago.

      "Q. So how is it that we're [black people are] going to be the ones to
      save it [the world]?

      "Because at the end of the day, we are still the most spiritual people on
      this planet. We are special because we are spiritual and that's why I have
      taken up Scientology. Because Scientology really knows who we are and it
      teaches us who we really are, as spiritual beings in this universe.

      "Q. Don't people think of Scientology as a cult?

      "Of course they do, but they do that out of ignorance. You ask them what
      Scientology is, they can't tell you because they don't know. That's
      irresponsible. But there are groups who want to control, and if they find
      anything that will try to free people, they will try to wipe it out of
      existence. Scientology will not go away.

      "We're racing against time. We have to get people to wake up and realize
      that all this stuff that is happening is a restimulation of a past thing
      that was eons ago. It's really catching up and if man doesn't straighten
      out the error of his ways, he's going to destroy himself. Why do people
      fight? Because they've got restimulations. Scientology is the answer to
      getting rid of these restimulations. For instance, if you're a child and
      you start to fight and you get this stuff in your mind and somehow you
      take a peaceful route. [But] if you get angry about something, that anger
      restimulates old instincts that you used to fight, so street fighting and
      all that stuff comes back to you. If you've got ethics, you ought to know
      how to discipline yourself and not be drawn to the kind of mentality where
      you're going to kill somebody. But that's restimulations. What Scientology
      does is eradicate the particular mind that we call the reactive mind. The
      reactive mind only consists of engrams. Engrams are pictures or mental
      images of pain, whether it is emotional or physical pain. You have to wipe
      all that stuff out so you won't react negatively. That's counter to your
      survival and your fellow man's survival.

      "Q. When I watch television, I hardly see anything without violence. Why
      are we so attracted to that?

      "Because of those implants eons ago to our spiritual self. These things
      kick in and we don't realize what's happening to us. We don't realize all
      this violent stuff is affecting us and our kids because it's restimulation
      again."

      #####

      > New York Celebrity

      Scientology announced that a former record producer will conduct a seminar
      at the New York Celebrity Center.

      "Moses Avalon, a former Major Label record producer, and now author of a
      highly controversial book titled, 'Confessions of a Record Producer,' will
      conduct a 2-hour seminar at The Celebrity Center Church of Scientology in
      New York on Tuesday, February 8th, beginning at 8 PM.

      "The seminar is designed to inform and enlighten unsuspecting independent
      musicians and recording artists with vivid details on what really goes on
      behind-the-scenes in the business offices of their record careers. In
      fact, the book has stirred such controversy that many of those vital
      need-to-know secrets were purposely withheld by the publisher due to the
      fear of lawsuits. The attendance fee, which is tax-deductible, is only $11
      and also includes take-home study materials.

      "Members of the church include such industry veteran recording artists as
      Chick Corea, Edgar Winter, Isaac Hayes, and Chuck D."

      #####

      > Protest / Revenge Summary

      "Fier" reported a protest at the Canberra, Australia org this week.

      "[M]y Mom wanted to come as well. She is really wonderful, and isn't
      afraid of the death stares or pneumonia, or anything else this cult uses
      in it's crusade to defraud the planet. Together we wandered the street,
      handing out what leaflets we had lying around - Some Lisa flyers, Space
      Alien $cam and some other one. We each had a sign. The 2 Sea Ogres were
      very nice girls, young, uniformed and pretty. I did get to say a few words
      with one - mainly to request she look on the web for the truth, and that
      the church isn't going to let her know what's really going on.

      "Many people declined the Ronbot leaflets but requested ours, that is also
      uplifting. And the OSA continues to ask me WHY DO YOU DO THIS? We picketed
      from 3:15pm until 4pm, when we ran out of leaflets and called it a day.
      Not a single raw Meat(tm) entered the cult HQ during the picket, but
      scores of them found out something they didn't know about this criminally
      convicted scam in their midst."

      "Barb" reported a set of revenge leaflets given to her neighbors by
      Scientology this week.

      "'STOP CREATING HATRED AND VIOLENCE! Barb Warr is involved in an Internet
      hate-group that has engaged in KKK-like tactics against a peaceful
      religious group. This weekend she has traveled to Florida to try and
      disrupt the lives of these individuals and those of their neighbors. Bob
      Minton, the leader of this group, has already been arrested twice for
      assult (sic) and battery against members of this church and has been
      ordered to stay away from church buildings.

      "'Stop the religious hatred and intolerance. Stop the violence. For more
      information see: www.parishioners.org'

      "They got my name wrong Apparently my BTs went to Florida without me; the
      piccie on the flyer was taken on 4 Dec. during OUR memorial picket. They
      are too ashamed to mention the name of the church. Their spelling sucks."

      #####

      > K-Pod

      The Chico Enterprise-Record, from Chico, CA reviewed a local dramatic
      performance including the character L. Ron Hubbard.

      "Chico Creek Theater Festival's 'K-Pod' serves up an entire smorgasbord of
      delights, yet unlike a common buffet, this one is full of taste (good, bad
      and otherwise) and refreshing sights and smells (was that lighter fluid?)
      wrapped up in a surrealistic experience. Chico's Fleischers, the
      Amphibious Jakeys, delve into Dianetics and L. Ron Hubbard in an
      allegorical play delineating the divergent paths taken by two, Mouse
      (Karina Czoka) and Frog (Eli Bird), from their common womb, a pod, to save
      the moon.

      "Stretching themselves to life as they step out of their cosmic egg, Mouse
      and Frog free-associate in synchronicity, ecstatically exclaiming the
      importance of Scientology. But before long, they turn from buying into
      the overwhelming rhetoric of L. Ron Hubbard and decide to do good in the
      world by ridding it of his wretchedness. Mouse gets consumed, Frog
      reproduces and they both travel through a talking seashell to find the
      Moon (Haley Hughes) riding the waves. Haskell's Hubbard is revolting and
      irreverent, at least as sinister as the Simpson's C. Montgomery Burns.
      Hmm, L. Ron and C. Montgomery - both have letters for first names. I'm
      sure there's no connection...

      "What I know about Scientology can fit into a line in a song, so I won't
      pretend I understand the social significance of this sect. Regardless,
      Haskell's Hubbard makes me want to have as little to do with his
      philosophy as possible. He dominates the stage with his presence and his
      wheelchair with expertise, guaranteeing a disturbing scene in one of my
      upcoming nightmares. Make a point of getting down to the Blue Room this
      weekend to see this production. It's local talent at its finest just
      waiting for you to join the audience."

      #####

      > Alfred Elton van Vogt

      Alfred Elton van Vogt, an early follower of L. Ron Hubbard and Dianetics,
      has died. From space.com:

      "Alfred Elton van Vogt, legendary science fiction writer, died of
      complications following pneumonia in Los Angeles Wednesday morning. He was
      87 years old. Patrick Nielsen Hayden eulogized van Vogt as a leading
      figure of the 'golden age' of science fiction that Astounding Science
      Fiction editor John Campbell presided over throughout the late 1930s and
      early 1940s. Van Vogt was, Nielsen Hayden said, 'nearly the last of the
      great first generation of Campbell discoveries to go.'

      "Van Vogt became an advocate of Dianetics, the quasi-psychoanalytic method
      invented by fellow SF writer L. Ron Hubbard, in 1950, crediting the system
      for wife E. Mayne Hull's 19-year remission from cancer symptoms. Like John
      Campbell, van Vogt never had much patience for Dianetics' religious
      outgrowth, Scientology. His affiliation with Dianetics, however, was
      another matter. Not only did he open one of the first auditing centers in
      Los Angeles -- the city where he spent the last half-century of his life
      -- but he remained the president of the California Association of
      Dianetics Auditors until late in life. He is survived by wife Lydia."

      #####

      > Battlefield Earth

      Reports this week that the movie Battlefield Earth, based on a book by L.
      Ron Hubbard, has sequel and prequel movies in the planning stage. From
      Variety on January 28th:

      "'Battlefield Earth: 2000,' which opens May 12 in 3,000 screens, covers
      only the first 500 pages (of 1,000) of L. Ron Hubbard's book. But
      producers John Travolta (who stars), Jonathan Krane and Elie Samaha have
      an option for the remaining pages -- the sequel -- and they're talking to
      Corly Mandel about writing it. The Hubbard projects are repped by Author
      Services Inc., whose senior VP Javier Ruiz, tells me there will also be a
      prequel now being written by Algis Budrys."