    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 29, 2002

      > Ritalin

      The Washington Post reported on September 25th that Lisa Marie Presley and
      other Scientology witnesses were scheduled to speak before the U.S. House
      Government Reform Committee.

      "Cause Celebs Lisa Marie Presley and Sarah Ferguson, the Duchess of York,
      have been traipsing the halls of the Congress lobbying for their
      respective pet projects. Presley, a Scientologist and mother of two will
      be testifying today before Indiana Republican Rep. Dan Burton's House
      Government Reform Committee on the evils of hyperactivity medication for

      Advocacy group CHADD issued a warning prior to the hearing.

      "On Thursday, September 26, the House Committee on Government Reform,
      chaired by Representative Dan Burton (R-IN), will conduct a hearing
      entitled 'Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorders - Are Children Being
      Over Medicated?'

      "Four of the five witnesses - invited by Representative Burton - are
      reported to be spokespersons for or persons associated with the Citizens
      Commission on Human Rights (CCHR), an affiliate established 1969 by the
      Church of Scientology. CHADD is concerned that four witnesses associated
      with the hearing share the belief that AD/HD is a lie and a fraud. They
      include: Lisa Marie Presley, Bruce Wiseman, Dr. Mary Ann Block, Patricia

      "As further context of the CCHR's philosophy, among their publications
      currently in circulation are 'Psychiatry Betraying Families: The Hoax of
      ADD/ADHD and Other Learning Disabilities,' 'Psychiatry: Shattering Your
      World with Drugs,' and 'The Hoax of Learning and Behavior Disorders.' The
      fifth witness, invited at Mr. Burton's request, is Mr. Neil Bush, the
      President's brother, whose son was incorrectly diagnosed with AD/HD.

      "Through the efforts of Representative Henry Waxman (D-CA) to ensure a
      balanced discussion, Clarke Ross, CEO of CHADD and Dr. David Fassler,
      representing the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
      (AACAP) and the American Psychiatric Association (APA), also have been
      asked to testify. It is expected that the National Institute of Mental
      Health will also send a witness."

      From Reuters on September 26th:

      "Adversaries in the debate over widespread prescribing of Ritalin and
      other stimulants to children squared off on Capitol Hill Thursday, only to
      arouse the ire of lawmakers who accused them of serving as fronts for the
      drug industry and religious groups.

      "A parade of witnesses came before the House Government Reform Committee
      to tell lawmakers why an estimated 3 million to 6 million US children are
      currently on Ritalin and other drugs used to treat attention deficit
      hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). Committee members voiced concern that
      doctors are too quick to diagnose the disorder and prescribe strong drugs
      in children who may not actually have a mental disorder.

      "Chief among the drug's detractors were three witnesses from the Citizen's
      Commission on Human Rights, an anti-psychiatry watchdog group. The
      organization points out that scientists have no reliable way of confirming
      a child's ADHD diagnosis and that teachers have too much sway in
      convincing doctors to medicate unruly children.

      "But Rep. Constance Morella (R-MD) pointed out that the Citizen's
      Commission for Human Rights (CCHR) was founded in 1969 by the Church of
      Scientology, a religious group known both for attracting celebrity members
      and for vehement opposition to all of psychiatry. Morella read a statement
      from Jan Eastgate, the organization's international president, which calls
      psychiatry a 'malignant disease' that 'threatens society and ultimately
      mankind.' Wiseman said he agreed with that view, and said that his group
      maintains an independent tax status from the Church of Scientology.

      "Morella also challenged Dr. Mary Ann Block, a board member who treats
      ADHD children with nutritional and anti-allergy interventions instead of
      drugs. Block accused psychiatrists and other doctors of prescribing ADHD
      drugs for financial gain. 'You'd probably gain a little bit too if people
      were scared away from psychiatric drugs,' Morella said.

      "The committee also heard from Children and Adults with Attention
      Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (CHADD), a group that defends the
      widespread treatment of children and adults diagnosed with the disorder.
      The CEO of CHADD, E. Clarke Ross, told the committee that ADHD may be
      underdiagnosed in US kids and that more doctors should be aware of
      professional guidelines governing the identification and treatment of the

      "Psychiatrist David Fassler told lawmakers that drug treatment 'can be
      extremely helpful' in treating ADHD but that 'medication alone is rarely
      the appropriate treatment.' 'Medication should only be used as part of a
      comprehensive treatment plan that will usually include individual therapy,
      family support and counseling and work with the schools,' said Fassler,
      who heads the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry."

      From People Daily News on September 27th:

      Lisa Marie Presley testified before the House Committee on Government
      Reform in Washington, D.C., to discuss what she considers an alarming
      trend to medicate children for mental disorders ranging from
      Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) to bipolar disorder.

      "'I have personally seen the effects of overmedicated children and it
      terrifies me, especially having two kids of my own,' said Presley, the
      international spokesperson for Citizens' Commission on Human Rights, a
      psychiatric watchdog group founded in 1969 by the Church of Scientology
      (of which she is a member). The group advocates legislation that would bar
      schools from forcing parents to medicate their children for ADHD and
      similar disorders.

      "Presley says her passion for this subject is purely personal. 'I became
      involved with this whole issue because of a little 4-year-old boy, a
      friend of the family, who has suffered from being overmedicated,' says

      "Presley told PEOPLE that her first time testifying before Congress left
      her 'a nervous wreck, ' but, she said, 'I was really impressed with the
      whole system and with the knowledge of the congress people. They really
      knew their stuff and asked good questions and got right to the point. Even
      the people who were on the other side of the issue seemed to understand
      where we were coming from.'"

      > Laura's Law

      A Los Angeles Times editorial on September 28 urged the Governor or
      California to sign a law that would allow judges to order outpatient
      treatment for mentally ill people. Scientology has protested against the
      law outside the state capitol.

      "By press time Friday night, Gov. Gray Davis still had not signed 'Laura's
      law,' an important bill that would let judges order outpatient treatment
      for seriously mentally ill people who can't fathom the gravity of their
      condition. The deadline is midnight Monday.

      "Davis had pledged to do everything in his power to protect Californians
      from crime, so supporters of the bill had expected him to embrace the
      measure. It would enable some of California's most vulnerable people,
      including many who live on sidewalks or alongside freeways, to get help
      before they harm themselves or others. But opponents of the legislation
      have grown particularly vocal in recent weeks.

      "Two weeks ago, for instance, a subgroup of the Church of Scientology,
      which opposes virtually all psychiatric treatments, sponsored a rally at
      the Capitol against Laura's law - named after a 19-year-old killed by a
      man whose mental illness had been left untreated.

      "Gov. Davis often says his top priorities are protecting law and order.
      Few bills now before him would do that job better than AB 1421."

      > CCHR

      The Canton Journal reported on September 27th that Scientology has
      protested outside a hospital in Ohio to bring attention to alleged
      mistreatment of patients.

      "Members of a Church of Scientology group, called the Citizens Commission
      on Human Rights, recently protested outside the Judge Rotenberg Center in
      Canton. Their banners read 'Patients Tortured Here' at the Rte. 138
      center. One protester was Lorraine Barritz of Canton. She said she was
      deeply disturbed to find that anyone in the community would be subjected
      to such forms of cruelty and abuse. The protesters did not go inside or
      have contact with the center staff.

      "The Judge Rotenberg Center treats severely troubled clients. It uses
      physical punishments with some patients. But it does not physical abuse
      clients, he says.

      "A Scientology official named Christopher Garrison, director of the
      Citizens Commission on Human Rights, brought up the case of a woman who
      died in the center in 1990. She died of a perforated ulcer. Garrison
      charged a connection with a therapy she was undergoing. Garrison lists a
      number of treatments his group dislikes. 'Tortures,' said one of the
      banners, 'that have been used - electric shock, restraints, food
      deprivation, foul odors, helmet static (noise), and physical abuse' are
      all questionable therapies.

      "In recent years the Center has been investigated and cleared in the death
      of a different inmate. A court suit ended up clearing the Center and its
      people in that case. Answering the more recent protests was the Center
      director, Dr. Matthew Israel. He is the center's founder, too. Some of the
      therapies on the Scientology list are actually legitimate treatments, he
      notes. Physical restraints are part of some therapies. So is food used as
      a reward, within limits. He calls the type of therapy used at the center
      is known as 'aversive therapy' which involves behavioral modification.
      Absolutely, Israel said no client had ever been physically abused at the

      "What the Scientology group plans to do is uncertain. It asks those who
      have violations of human rights to expose them through the Commission on
      Human Rights, which is a private organization. Yes, the Judge Rotenberg
      Center sometimes uses tough methods. And those can shock the uninitiated
      lay person. Cases of physical abuse have to be guarded against at all
      times in this sort of treatment. But the Scientologists have no case to
      press here."

      > Keith Henson

      Keith Henson reported that Scientologists have interfered with efforts to
      sell his home in Palo Alto, California by posing as interested real estate

      "Santa Clara County Association of REALTORS
      1525 Meridian Ave., Suite 101
      San Jose, CA 95125

      "Dear Board Members:

      "I would like to call your attention to seriously unethical behavior on
      the part of one of your members. I have been subject to attack from the
      Scientology cult for years. After the cult corrupted the DA's office and
      the courts in Hemet, CA I was sentenced to a year in jail for picketing
      Scientology's desert compound over the two women they killed in the spring
      and summer of 2000. As a result of death threats against me on the
      Internet I elected to become a refugee in Canada rather than be subjected
      to a Scientology controlled jail. This past summer my wife and I decided
      to sell our Palo Alto home so she could join me in exile.

      "We tried to sell it through an agent, but the ones we talked to were in
      fear for their children should they take such a commission. So we sold it
      ourselves, only to find it had an illegal lien in it. That involved the
      bankruptcy court. The court ruled that my creditor (Scientology) should be
      given a chance to get a better price. An agent contacted by our lawyer
      told my wife that we had received fair market and that the existing sale
      should go through since he could do no better. This would not give the
      cult the delay they were seeking so they turned to a Scientologist, Pat
      Dulleck who is a real estate agent as well as an agent for Scientology.

      "I believe that bringing in an agent who is well known for infiltrating
      and trying to destroy a Scientology splinter group and is a close
      associate of Darlene Bright who works against me for the cult's dirty
      tricks department is a violation of the court's orders. Pat Dulleck and
      two others who we believe are also be Scientologists inspected my home
      without identifying themselves as members of the cult that considers me an
      enemy and will do anything under their 'fair game' policy to destroy me."

      > Narconon

      Narconon International Newsletter reported that a meeting of its Science
      Advisory Board was held at its Oklahoma location.

      "Narconon International held a major meeting of its Science Advisory Board
      at Narconon Arrowhead. Attendees including Alfonzo Paredes, M.D., David
      Root, M.D., Shelley Beckmann, Ph.D., and Jim Barnes. Also there were
      friends and consultants of Narconon Arrowhead, Sandy MacNabb and Emery
      Johnson, M.D. (former Asst. Surgeon General U.S.), as well as Arrowhead's
      new Medical Director, Dr. Gerald Wooten.

      "Other attendees who shared their experiences and knowledge were Dr.
      Allan Sosin from Narconon Southern California, the distinguished Dr.
      Schoenthaler from California State University Stanislaus, and with Michael
      Phillips from Utah, who is completing a long-term outcome study on the
      reduction of crime in juveniles who've completed the New Life Center
      Narconon program.

      "The day's discussions focused on how to design and complete a series of
      objective evaluations and studies of the Narconon program's effectiveness.
      Dr. David Root was elected the board's new Chairman; he has authored
      several papers on L. Ron Hubbard's sauna detoxification program and
      addressed international conferences. Finally, we were all honored to have
      a special guest, 54-year veteran Oklahoma State Senator Gene Stipe, who
      praised Narconon staff for their decades of care and help for addicts who
      too many have rejected as hopeless."

      The McAlester News-Capital & Democrat reported on September 24th that
      Narconon celebrated the first anniversary of the new facility in Oklahoma.

      "In 2000, the Association for Better Living and Education purchased the
      former Arrowhead Lodge from the Choctaw Nation for $1.9 million and began
      renovating it into a treatment center that officially opened for business
      in August of that year. The program moved to the Arrowhead facility from
      Chilloco, where it had been since 1989.

      "Since its opening, Narconon Arrowhead has had numerous graduates finish a
      treatment course at the center, according to Gary Smith, executive
      director. In fact, 99 received certificates of completion during a
      graduation ceremony Friday night. Luke Catton, president of Narconon
      Arrowhead, called the anniversary a 'milestone,' since in one year the
      facility had gone from 'opening to being nearly filled to capacity.'

      "As the ceremony began, persons carrying flags representing 49 of the 50
      United States and 15 foreign countries gathered at the front of a large
      tent while those assembled joined to sing 'God Bless America.' State Rep.
      Ray Miller, D-Whitefield, who attended the graduation Friday as well as
      Saturday's anniversary ceremony, said, 'It was most touching, or heart
      rending, I don't know the exact words to use, listening to addicts who
      have broken the downward spiral of addiction.'"

      > Protest Summary

      Keith Henson reported a protest at the Toronto Scientology org on
      September 28th.

      "The unknown picketer and I put in a late afternoon picket at the Toronto
      org Sat from about 5:40 to 6:40. As usual I was across the street (which
      actually results in a lot more flyers being handed out). The Unknown
      picketed in front of the org where 20 scns inside were rapidly reduced to

      "We gave out flyers at a faster rate than usual, 200 for me. I was giving
      out the Parsonage flyers and again a number of people said they would call
      and complain about a non-religion, non-charity getting a tax break on an 8
      story office building."

      > Priscilla Presley

      The New York Daily News reported on September 26th that Priscilla Presley
      thinks that her Husband Elvis would have been a Scientologist if he were
      alive today.

      "'I wish that he knew what Scientology was before he died,' the King's
      ex-wife told us Tuesday night at a CD-release party for 'Elvis 30 #1 Hits'
      at the Hard Rock Cafe. Like her daughter, Lisa Marie, Priscilla has long
      been a member of the controversial church. And she's convinced that it
      could have 'helped Elvis a lot' as he fought an addiction to prescription

      > Internet Archive

      CNET News reported on September 24th that Scientology has removed archives
      of certain web sites that are critical of Scientology.

      "Buckling under pressure from the Church of Scientology, the Internet
      Archive has removed a church critic's Web site from its system. The
      Internet Archive, a site that preserves snapshots of old Web pages and
      bills itself as 'a library of Internet sites and other cultural artifacts
      in digital form,' no longer contains links to archival pages of Xenu.net.
      Instead, surfers are pointed to a page telling them the site was taken
      down 'per the request of the site owner.'

      "However, Xenu.net operator Andreas Heldal-Lund said he never made any
      such request. Heldal-Lund, a Norwegian businessman and longtime church
      critic, said he's eager for people to read archived pages of his site.
      'I'm the author, and I never asked that it be removed,' he said. 'I
      believe what's happening in this case is important history.'

      "A representative of the Internet Archive said the organization, which is
      run mostly by volunteers, took the pages down after lawyers for the Church
      of Scientology 'asserted ownership of materials visible through' the site.
      He said the group replaced the links with a generic error message about
      blocked sites.

      "However, the organization removed not only Xenu.net pages containing
      excerpts from Church of Scientology documents, but also the entire
      Xenu.net site, which contains pages crafted entirely by Heldal-Lund."

      The Internet Archive issued a statement defending its actions.

      "The Internet Archive archives data that is publicly available to provide
      services, such as the Wayback Machine, that are useful to researchers,
      historians and scholars. While we endeavor to provide as a complete a
      record of the Web as possible, we are a small, non-profit, largely
      volunteer organization with limited resources.

      "Lawyers for the Church of Scientology contacted the Internet Archive,
      asserted ownership of materials visible through the Wayback Machine, and
      those materials have been removed from the Wayback Machine."