    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 22, 2002

      > Sacramento

      The State Hornet, newspaper of the University of California at Sacramento,
      printed a letter to the editor on September 18th in response to insert ads
      from Scientology.

      "Cult Hazards
      by Thad Hammerhead III

      "I am concerned with the Scientology insert in the Sept. 11th edition.
      Scientology is a proven cult, outlawed in some countries because of the
      sway it holds over the minds of vulnerable individuals.

      "Scientology touts its 'scientific' basis, but is really a tool of mind
      control. Scientology displays its elite, mostly Hollywood movie stars, who
      can influence the weak with dreams of power and riches, while down in the
      trenches the misbegotten souls who have been brainwashed into thinking
      they are going to make a better life for themselves, directly or
      indirectly labor away their lives, then are cast aside once their
      usefulness ceases. There is no retirement or safety net for those who
      those who can no longer perform the duties or continue bringing in money
      for Scientology.

      "I personally know many people who, realizing that they were being conned,
      were shut out of this cult with nothing to show for their toil. Some have
      ended up in extensive therapy to overcome the damage done by the
      brainwashing.

      "Before any person becomes involved with this cult, they should know just
      a little of the background of L. Ron Hubbard. In his early days he was a
      close cohort of the self-proclaimed 'Evilest Man in The World', Alistair
      Crowley. Crowley and his disciples practiced black magic and Satanism, a
      very insidious and dangerous from of mind control; Hubbard was a willing
      participant and devotee. Please don't risk the integrity and honor of our
      wonderful school paper, or contribute to some susceptible individual being
      conned, by accepting any further advertising from this organization."

      #####

      > Lisa Marie Presley

      Sky News reported on September 18th that celebrity Lisa Marie Presley
      credits Scientology for helping her overcome an addiction to cocaine.

      "Lisa Marie Presley has been speaking about her battle with drugs and
      admitted she was once addicted to cocaine.

      Elvis's daughter, who is a member of the Church of Scientology, said she
      had kicked the habit through her own will power and the help of her
      church. The 34-year-old told the Daily Star she checked into the church's
      rehab centre and emerged a 'new person.'"

      Keith Henson and "The Unnamed One" reported a protest on September 15th at
      the Toronto Scientology org and a theater being used to hold an Auditor's
      Day celebration.

      "We (Gregg, the unknown picketer and me) put in an hour and a half
      starting about 1 pm. As has become standard, people come up and tell tales
      about their experiences with the cult. One guy came by on a bike and
      related his experience from 8 years ago when he worked at the Money Mart.
      At that time the Scientologists were wiring money by Western Union into
      Canada, $20,000 a day every day of the week. He had no idea of what they
      were up to but for an a number of months they were having someone pick up
      $20,000 a day for a week and then they would switch to another person. I
      asked him why and he didn't have a clue.

      "When we showed, they had their emeter show outside. That vanished inside
      in a few minutes. Gregg reports that Andy Hill spent much of the picket
      sitting in the coffee shop across Mary St., probably with a camera. Gregg
      had someone come over and ask him to quit talking who claimed to be from
      an office across the street. Gregg told him he was pleased his voice
      carried that far."

      "The theater they were using, Isabel Bader Theatre, 93 Charles St., is at
      the edge of the University of Toronto. I was doing a brisk business
      handing out flyers 100 feet up the street from where the unnamed one and
      Chris were picketing when this gaggle of students came by, 8 in number.
      They were knowledgeable about Scientology and very interested in what I
      was doing. I asked them if they wanted to join in, and they were all
      enthusiastic about it. So I took them back to the car and passed out 7
      signs.

      "They picketed in front of the theater for a while. As we were leaving, an
      hour after the event was supposed to have started, a car came up and
      parked. I asked the people if they wanted a flyer about the nut cult? The
      guy said they were 'nut cult' members coming for the meeting. He didn't
      take a flyer, but I did remind him he had to write a KR about meeting the
      SPs, not to mention being late."

      "I called the Org, and was told that I should show up on the BACK street,
      and see the people there, as they were ushering to the theatre from there.
      Flyers in hand, Keith and I started the picket, and about 10 seconds into
      it, we were spotted, and a co$ personality called the few others back away
      quickly.

      "Theatre staff person showed up quickly, asking politely what was
      happening, and how many we were, so I explained, and he left us alone,
      privately wishing us luck. Chris joined us, as did a group of University
      students, so all our signs were out, and it seemed to completely
      disconcert the poor Org types to see that there were actually a great
      number of people out with signs and flyers."

      #####

      > In Memoriam

      The Portsmouth Herald (Maine) reported on September 19th that Michael
      Adams, a Scientologist, has passed away at the age of 49.

      "Michael Adams, 49, of Orland, died Tuesday, Sept. 17, 2002, at a Blue
      Hill hospital. He was born Aug. 7, 1953, in Topeka, Kan., the son of Ralph
      E. and the late Shirley J. (Todd) Adams. He lived in many places,
      including New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Alaska, Texas, New Hampshire and
      Maine.

      "He was a believer in the Church of Scientology for many years. Michael
      was a loving man with a compassionate heart. As a nurse, he cared for the
      sick and the elderly. He loved nature and all its beauty and wonders, and
      was an avid outdoorsman."

      #####

      > Archive.org

      Andreas Heldal-Lund reported this week that Archive.org, the home of
      Internet archive site the Wayback Machine, has removed archives of sites
      at the request of Scientology.

      "Many people are very eager to learn what sites the Cult of Scientology
      managed to trick you into removing from the Wayback Machine. Please try to
      get and send me this list and if possible the actual request from the cult
      so that we know on what grounds sites are picked out or removed from the
      Wayback Machine. It is valuable to know what is censored from your
      service.

      "I do not like that it says on your site that my sites are removed based
      on a request from me. This is not true and I don't want you to spread that
      rumor. Please remove that claim immediately and reconsider the false
      request from the 'Church' of Scientology.

      "I urge you to update yourselves on the controversy surrounding this cult
      and their repeated attempts to monitor and silence all criticism on the
      Internet. Please read some of the following links to avoid the Wayback
      Machine also being dragged into a negative media frenzy like Google did.

      "I know Internet history and free speech are important to you and that is
      why I believe it is very important that your service is not being
      suspected of only being a censored version of the 'net. That was the trap
      Google almost fell into and it generated a lot of bad publicity for them.
      They solved this in a very smart way and I hope you at least consider
      doing something similar."