    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 11, 2002

      > Hollywood

      Hollywood Star News reported on August 7th that a party was held by
      Scientology to celebrate the anniversary of the Celebrity Center.

      "The star turnout led by Tom Cruise at the Church of Scientology Celebrity
      Centre's 33rd Anniversary Gala in Hollywood over the weekend was a vivid
      demonstration of why some call Scientology the 'power religion of
      Hollywood.' The religion remains a controversial presence in many of those
      countries, including Germany where there has been a long-running battle
      over the church's very right to exist. John Travolta is one of the
      Scientologists who has spoken out about the situation in Germany. Besides
      Cruise, highly visible show business Scientologists include Jenna Elfman,
      Lisa Marie Presley, Kirstie Alley, Ann Archer, Mimi Rogers, Chick Corea,
      Karen Black, Nancy Cartwright (the voice of Bart Simpson) and Travolta's
      wife, actress Kelly Preston.

      "Among the 1,200 guests at the plush party held on the country club like
      grounds under a tent on a warm night in Southern California were Leah
      Remini, Jason Lee, Erika Christensen, Giovanni Ribisi Christopher
      Masterson, Lynsey Bartilson, Michelle Stafford, Marisol Nichols, Pablo
      Santos, Catherine Bell and actress Juliette Lewis.

      "The Celebrity Centre is one of eleven such centers worldwide including
      New York, Paris, Nashville, Las Vegas, Vienna and London. From the
      beginning of Scientology in the mid-1950s, Hubbard made the recruitment of
      celebrities a high priority, because they could help in recruiting the
      public and gave credibility to his teachings. The use of celebrities to
      endorse the church is a marketing tool, especially for reaching young
      people (another Scientology target group), in a world where celebrity is a
      very powerful commodity."

      #####

      > Renate Hartwig

      Suedwestpresse reported on August 10th that German critic Renate Hartwig
      has released a new book about other critics of Scientology.

      "For eleven years Renate Hartwig was regarded as the most competent
      Scientology expert there was, who not only warned people about
      Scientology, but could prove what she said. All that was over yesterday as
      she presented her new book in Berlin, 'Die Schattenspieler.' Renate
      Hartwig did not write about Scientology in her book, but about critics,
      who she said misused Scientology to further their own interests. She this
      was done by taking advantage of the public's vague fear of Scientology,
      and the people she pointed the finger at included Constitutional Security,
      officially known as the Office for the Protection of the Constitution. She
      said after the fall of the Wall, Constitutional Security merely
      substituted Scientology for the former East Block for job security. She
      said she was tired of the self-appointed judges, juries and executioners
      of libel and no longer wanted to be a part of it.

      "She accused all the cult critics of having a vested interest, those of
      the churches, those in government, and those in the political parties. She
      said that nothing was more profitable than vague threats. She wrote about
      companies that would not have been afraid of Scientology if it were not
      for the fact that they had hired high-priced, self-appointed experts to
      make sure that their company had no contact with Scientology.

      "Renate Hartwig said she uncovered a business scheme by US millionaire
      Robert S. Minton who she said paid German cult commissioners to help win
      an 80-million dollar lawsuit against Scientology in America. She said
      Ursula Caberta got $75,000 of that and was subsequently charged
      accordingly by the state attorney. Hartwig's harshest words were for
      Constitutional Security, who she said not only knew about the insufferable
      critics, but engaged in activity of the same kind by having a
      Constitutional Security agent pretend to be a Scientologist on the
      Internet who told everyone that Scientology had forced him to behave in a
      criminal manner."

      > Ireland

      The Irish Times reported on August 10th that Scientology participated in a
      fair on Bull Island, Ireland.

      "The car-free day, organised jointly by Dublin City Council and
      Coastwatch, transformed the beach from a sandy motorway to a seaside oasis
      only minutes away from the city centre. 'It's going to be hard to convince
      people to change the habits of a lifetime,' said the Lord Mayor of Dublin,
      Cllr Dermot Lacey, who is in favour of an outright ban on cars on the
      beach.

      "In their bright yellow T-shirts, the Church of Scientology Litter Patrol
      milled around adding a splash of colour to the scene. 'We have been coming
      here for two years every third Saturday,' said Ms Siobhan Ryan, from
      Swords. 'We are trying to establish a blue flag beach here. The job is
      getting easier each time and it is wonderful to see no cars here today.'"

      #####

      > New Zealand

      The Press newspaper from Christchurch, New Zealand reported on August 3rd
      that a plastics factory is owned in part by Scientologists.

      "Key players in the controversial Hokitika plastics factory proposal are
      devotees of the Church of Scientology. Wayne Byrne, of Sydney, and Soren
      Kierkegaard, of Tauranga, are the two principals of FT Manufacturing
      (Westland) Ltd, which has received a $500,000 loan from the Westland
      District Council, along with a council commitment to build the factory for
      a further $2.2 million.

      "An online testimonial from Mr. Byrne, an accountant, said his discovery
      of Hubbard's management and administration technology had changed his
      approach to business. 'This technology is admirably workable in every
      organisation, and I apply it with success each working day,' he wrote. He
      said most of what he had learned at university and within his profession
      was 'quite useless' in the management of any kind of business venture. 'In
      particular, accounting is a very poor management tool for understanding
      what is really happening.'

      "Mr. Kierkegaard, a New Zealander who has returned after 30 years
      overseas, changed his name by deed poll to that of the 19th-century
      existentialist philosopher. He and his Sydney-based company, Technology
      Group Management Ltd, are named as members of the World Institute of
      Scientology Enterprises. The three directors of Technology Group
      Management, which is handling the Sydney side of the plastics project, are
      Mr. Byrne, and Mr. Kierkegaard and his wife, Sue. Mrs. Kierkegaard is a
      Scientologist.

      "Scientology is based on a psychotherapy technique that is supposed to let
      people free themselves from their unhappiness, but the organisation has
      been involved internationally in several court cases, high-profile
      disputes over alleged tax evasion, and claims that it exploits its
      adherents. Westland Mayor John Drylie would not comment on the
      Scientology link, or any other aspect of the Hokitika project."

      Keith Henson reported a protest at the Toronto, Canada org on August 10th.

      "I watched the org for a long time from the coffee shop and there was next
      to no activity, unlike last time when they had Sea Orgers all over the
      place. Eventually S. Putnik (who has picketed with us before) showed up.
      We wondered back to the car where we collected signs and flyers and
      started walking back to the org. Some guys hanging out on the grass in
      the little park we walk through saw our signs and asked for flyers. As we
      started off he asked if he could join us. We had extras so I got another
      sign out and we all went over to the org. During the entire picket only
      one person went in.

      "In about 15 minutes a guy who said he was a 30 year scn vet come up and
      start taping them and trying to pump them for their identities. He
      pretended just to be an interested person, joined in listening to S.
      Putnik talk about a certain refugee from California, and the cult being
      convicted of spying in three countries. Camera guy jumped in and wanted
      to know S's name. S gave him Fred Flintstone, the guy said 'That's not
      your real name, will you give that?' And S said 'no, I am not going to
      make it too easy, you have to work for it.' Camera guy then accused S of
      not being a 'legitimate' picker because he would not give out his name.

      "The two scns seem to be highly concerned about the long conversations
      pedestrians were having with the picketers. Taking pictures of those who
      stopped just verified what the picketers said about the ugly nature of
      scn. I gave away the rest of my 'Parsonage?' flyers about the tax scam
      and maybe 60 Xenu flyers. S and Nex gave out about 150."

      #####

      > Lee Konitz

      Down Beat magazine profiled Lee Konitz, winner of their Saxophonist of the
      Year award, in the August 1st issue.

      "Lee Konitz sits atop a bar stool centerstage at Manhattan's Blue Note.
      Ears cocked and eyes darting, the patriarch of 'cool jazz' embarks on a
      round of spontaneous composition with pianist Paul Bley and bassist Marc
      Johnson. Konitz, 74, sat in the living room of his Upper West Side
      apartment, where Proust and Dostoevsky novels hold a place with a healthy
      collection of classical and jazz CDs. 'So many talented people are obliged
      to learn many different kinds of musics to function as professionals. I
      was never really obliged to do that. I just want to play 'All The Things
      You Are' in all the keys.'

      "Konitz began to wean himself from marijuana during a long, sporadic
      involvement with Scientology that began around 1973. 'It seemed to me that
      I would have a chance, step-by-step, to look at my life and things around
      me, and try to make some sense out of it,' Konitz says. 'It provided me
      with the opportunity to continue studying, a discipline that I had stopped
      when I left high school. I left the Jewish thing early on, and had never
      been part of a religious group too much. Besides the business part, which
      I objected to strongly, it was clean. And whatever was hokey about it, I
      just accepted the part that felt it was to our benefit.'

      "Free and clear of marijuana, Tristano and L. Ron Hubbard since 1990,
      Konitz relies on his ears and intuition 'to communicate with the people
      I'm playing with, not just somehow register what they're doing, and
      continue to do what I do.'"

      #####

      > Switzerland

      Scientology working to improve its image

      Tages-Anzeiger reported on August 5th that Scientology is attempting to
      improve its image in Switzerland.

      "Scientology's headquarters in Zurich used to receive praise on a regular
      basis from its American parent organization for sending a steady flow of
      euro-dollars from Zurich in the direction of the USA. Then the
      world-famous psycho-cult began making headlines. A number of adherents
      were caught in con games and Scientology business people were declaring
      bankruptcy. The big Scientology center had to move from the prestigious
      Badener Strasse to the edge of town. Scientology's image took a beating,
      and this was reflected in its membership figures. Scientology boss Juerg
      Stettler is seeing to it that his people no longer squeeze their customers
      like they used to. Customers are no longer counseled to take out loans for
      tens or hundreds of thousands of franks. The loans were often given by
      Scientologists themselves backed by banks, and financial losses in the
      millions occurred.

      "Scientology is today treading lightly in Zurich, nothing much about its
      totalitarian indoctrination system has changed. The courses still cost an
      arm and a leg - one hour at the highest level can cost 1,000 franks. And
      the staff are at the grindstone for up to 70 hours a week. In return for
      their services they get spending money. The Zurich Scientologists are
      also using new methods to lure in new members, like tele-marketing. They
      check names off in the white pages whose numbers they dial to ask them,
      for instance, what they would do to improve their lives. They try to draw
      people into personal conversations and to sell them Scientology books. Not
      everybody they talk to are aware they are speaking with Scientologists.

      "Scientologists are discovering how to go from door to door like Mormons
      and Jehovah's Witnesses. One 17-year-old apprentice was taken in by the
      Scientologists, although he had already heard about them. He had bought a
      booklet and filled out the survey in back, which contained the 200
      questions of Scientology's personality test. It wasn't until he was given
      the evaluation for the test that he realized what he had gotten himself
      into. 'Being caught like that by the Scientologists really burned me up,'
      he said in retrospect, and further stated that his test showed him
      negative in 9 of the 10 areas, with 7 points almost at the bottom. If he
      would have taken the test seriously, he might have thought he was
      anti-social, depressed, neurotic and unstable. Results like these are used
      by the Scientologists to create anxiety in people about themselves, upon
      which the cult's white knights will gallop in to save the day by offering
      them Scientology courses.

      "Recently the Scientologists have gotten a permit to operate a stand on
      Bahnhof Strasse. They battled for this privilege through the court system
      up to the federal level. To polish their tarnished image, the
      Scientologists have also been organizing public relations events, such as
      clean-the-parks campaigns. Besides that they have put up a big billboard
      by the sidewalk where their new organization is with the seductive message
      that the unemployed will immediately receive a job. To create good-will,
      Scientologists sometimes pass out roses in the surrounding area. When
      Scientology moved into the new quarters, they had promised not to solicit
      for customers on the streets, but now residents are complaining about
      getting Scientology advertisements in the mail, sometimes twice a week.
      The Scientologists have also tried to get shopowners to put their books on
      display in their businesses.

      "Though they may find themselves in dire financial straights, the
      Scientologists don't skimp on expenses when it comes to celebrating.
      Recently the organization held a celebration in the Grand Hotel Dolder,
      where Swiss Scientologists were to be honored by their American parent
      organization for their services - meaning money. But those who thought
      that the Americans wanted to reward their Zurich staff for their hard
      labor don't know Scientology. Admission was 325 franks."

      > Writers of the Future

      New Jersey newspaper the Courier-Post reported on August 5th that a local
      man is a finalist on Scientology's Writers of the Future contest.

      "Drew Morby in the garden of his Cherry Hill home. He is a finalist in a
      fiction writing contest. A Cherry Hill man with a penchant for science
      fiction and fantasy is about to jet off to Los Angeles in search of a
      jump-start to his career. As a second-quarter finalist in the annual L.
      Ron Hubbard Writers of the Future Contest, Drew Morby will attend a
      workshop featuring some of the finest science fiction writers on the
      planet.

      "'My expectations are that my career will take off at this point,' said
      Morby, 33, who lives in the Point of Woods section with his fiancee, Lisa
      Salerno, 45, her daughter Danielle, 14, and a menagerie of two dogs, four
      cats and three birds. 'The contest comes with a workshop, so at least I'll
      be able to improve my craft.'

      "Hubbard, the founder of Scientology and an accomplished science fiction
      writer himself, started the contest in 1983 to promote good writing and
      provide a career springboard to promising writers. Since the contest's
      inception, says Beverly Widder, whose public relations firm in Marina Del
      Rey, Calif., promotes it, nearly 300 winners have gone on to sell well
      over 100 novels and more than 1,000 short stories. Well-known science
      fiction writers Karen Joy Fowler, Nina Kiriki Hoffman and Dean Wesley
      Smith head the list. As a second-quarter finalist, Morby received a $500
      check and an invitation to the Aug. 17 awards ceremony.

      "Morby's entry is published in this year's L. Ron Hubbard Presents Writers
      of the Future Anthology. Work from five or six finalists are included in
      each year's anthology in addition to first-, second- and third- place
      finishers each quarter, says Widder. The contest attracts between 2,000
      and 3,000 entries each year. Winners do not have to be Scientologists.
      Like many aspiring writers, Morby, who is not a Scientologist, gets most
      of his ideas from observing others. He watches them in shopping centers,
      on walks, in restaurants - wherever people congregate. Ideas also jump out
      at him from movies and books and while falling asleep at night."