  • rkeller@xxxxxxxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 19, 1999

      Free A.r.s Week in Review subscriptions are available, just email me at
      rkeller@.... Subscriptions are also available on ONElist. Email
      weekinreview-subscribe@onelist.com or see http://www.onelist.com

      > CCHR

      Scientology issued a press statement this week opposing a U.S. Government
      report that shows that drug treatments have been more effective than
      psychotherapeutic counseling without drugs for treating mental health
      patients.

      "'The Surgeon General's report on mental illness isn't about science, it's
      about science fiction, and about the snaring of billions of taxpayers
      dollars by a failing mental health monopoly,' charges Citizens Commission
      on Human Rights (CCHR) a 30-year international psychiatric watchdog group.
      'One of the report's main lobbyists and contributors, the National
      Institute of Mental Health (NIMH), admits that after spending $6 billion
      in research expenditure, no causes for mental illnesses have yet been
      established. The report is also negligent in ignoring the plague of fraud,
      abusive treatment, including 150 restraint deaths per year, and excessive
      drug pushing within the psychiatric system,' Jan Eastgate, International
      President of the CCHR stated.

      "Releasing its own report, Psychiatry Committing Fraud: Extortion in the
      Name of Mental Healing, CCHR states: In 1999, 160 psychiatrists and
      psychologists were convicted and jailed for crimes ranging from patient
      brokering, illegal possession and selling of drugs to murder, with 66% of
      the crimes being for fraud and 24% for sex crimes committed against
      patients. Psychiatrists' fraudulent schemes are limited only by their
      imagination and have included billing for having unlawful sex with their
      patients, charging patients $150 per day for the use of a TV and for
      playing bingo, baptisms in the hospital swimming pool, and billing for
      patients who were dead. Psychiatry's most lucrative asset is its
      stigmatizing billing code, the Diagnostic Statistical Manual for Mental
      Disorders (DSM) which the Surgeon General's report heavily relies upon to
      sustain the apparency of scientific rigor."

      From the Letters to the Editor to the St. Petersburg Times on December
      17th:

      "I am one who has, as the writer suggested, 'taken the time to actually
      study and understand Scientology.' I have read their 'bible.' I have read
      the purported biographies of their founder. I have also read Bare-faced
      Messiah by Russell Miller, and A Piece of Blue Sky by Jon Atack. All are
      available at your friendly public library, if Scientology's 'truth squad'
      has not taken those last two books, which lay Scientology bare-naked
      before anyone who might care to look. Scientology and its megalomaniac
      founder, L. Ron Hubbard are as close to total scams as it is possible to
      get. -- Bud Tritschler, Clearwater

      "I happen to work in downtown Clearwater and deal with the Scientology
      people all day. I find they are very good for the area they are in. Also,
      in the past three years, they have done more for the area than your paper
      or any other business. I am not a Scientology member. I am a Baptist and
      that can be worse. -- Joe Gould, Clearwater

      "Has anyone seen the Christmas scene belonging to the Church of
      Scientology on the corner of Drew Street and Fort Harrison Avenue in
      Clearwater? If the Church of Scientology is a religion, where is reference
      to the birth of the Christ child? This sacred holiday is revered and
      expressed in a devout manner by real churches, not in a scene of snowmen
      and cutesy houses. -- G. Porter, Clearwater"

      #####

      > Bob Minton

      Dateline NBC aired a follow-up segment on Bob Minton this week. Some
      excerpts:

      "The Church of Scientology has described Vaughn and Stacy Young and others
      Minton is funding as liars who commit crimes against the church. And
      church lawyers hired a team of investigators to span the globe looking for
      Bob Minton's dirty laundry. Minton's family and friends say private eyes
      told them they feared he was violent, even telling one friend that Minton
      might go into a church one day and start shooting at Scientologists. When
      we first broadcast our story, Bob Minton didn't seem to have a lot of
      dirty laundry, and it seemed unlikely that he would become violent. But
      that was then.

      "BOB MINTON: I fired two warning shots very far away from them to let them
      know that they were not welcome here.

      "According to the police, Scientologists were protesting last year in
      front of Minton's home in New Hampshire. Minton says they were
      trespassing. So he went in his house, grabbed a 12-gauge shotgun, and shot
      it in the air. No one was arrested and no one was hurt. But the police
      chief in town told 'Dateline' he thinks both sides are off the wall.

      "BOB MINTON: I did not want those people coming on my property.

      "JOHN HOCKENBERRY: You have absolutely every right to keep them off of
      your property. You may even have a right to fire a gun around them. But
      they're charging you as an unbalanced individual who might take a gun and
      blow Scientologists away. In hindsight, was it maybe a mistake to pull out
      the gun?

      "BOB MINTON: In hindsight, yes, I would not--given the opportunity again,
      I would not do it that way.

      "Minton was arrested at a Boston protest for assaulting a Scientologist
      with his picket sign. He denied the charge and the judge dismissed the
      case against him in exchange for his promise to notify church officials by
      fax before he pickets again.

      "BOB MINTON: There is nobody who has ever been subjected to the type of
      harassment and intimidation that the Church of Scientology has been doing
      on me. Yes, it has gotten to me in many ways, and some of these things are
      reflections of that.

      "JOHN HOCKENBERRY: What can you say to me to assure me that you're not a
      hot-head on the edge here who, the next story I'm gonna be doing about you
      is the Timothy McVeigh scenario that Mike Rinder suggested in our original
      story? That you're gonna walk into some room somewhere and blow a bunch of
      these people away.

      "BOB MINTON: Well, it's absurd.

      "JOHN HOCKENBERRY: It seems less absurd now.

      "BOB MINTON: I have been under an awful lot of pressure, but it has in no
      way changed my mental stability.

      "Bob Minton is still determined to support the fight against the Church of
      Scientology. He says a variety of lawsuits in the coming months will
      establish Scientology as an evil and harmful organization. And he is
      convinced the church will eventually be dismantled.

      "BOB MINTON: I believe that the truth will very rapidly come out in terms
      of what this organization really is, and what it does."

      The Tampa Tribune published a column bu Rick Barry on December 11th
      entitled "Bob Minton: Will he rouse the gorilla?"

      "There's been a truce in this city, albeit an uneasy one, between
      residents and the 4,000-pound gorilla that plopped itself down in their
      midst 25 years ago, and started rearranging the Tonka toys to suit its
      growing needs. But now, a loud if unimposing parrot is building a nest in
      the great beast's backyard. And the carping bird is bringing a half-dozen
      similarly inclined parrots with him, and one weapon that could at least
      annoy the beast.

      "We're talking here about the Church of Scientology, owner now of 37
      properties in and around downtown Clearwater, valued at $40.1 million by
      Pinellas Property Appraiser Jim Smith. Of that, Smith figures $23.7
      million worth are exempt from taxes since they are being used solely for
      religious purposes; another $16 million worth remain on the tax rolls. Ah,
      but the newest taxpayer will soon be one Robert Minton of New Hampshire,
      Boston and London. He's buying a residence here as well as a building hard
      by Scientology headquarters for his Lisa McPherson Trust Inc. Closing is
      set for Jan. 1. On that day, things are going to get a whole lot more
      interesting around here. Ever the peacemaker, City Manager Mike Roberto
      says he'll gladly meet with Minton, and work to make him a part of this
      One City's One Future.

      "Minton is going to make his six-member McPherson leadership group, four
      of them former top Scientology officials, available to counsel members of
      the church ready to leave and members' families eager to initiate
      'interventions,' to pull them out. And the foundation is going to try to
      get information to Scientology initiates who come to Clearwater and are
      cloistered, Minton says, to keep them from hearing the truth about their
      church - especially from critics.

      "Minton swears he is not out to destroy Scientology. He concedes he
      couldn't do it if he tried: 'But if they want to be treated like a church,
      they should start acting like one.' Scientologists shouted to him when he
      arrived earlier this month: 'Hey, what are you doing in OUR town?' Well,
      if this is Scientology's city, he said: 'We're going to liberate this
      town.'"

      #####

      > Foundation for Religious Freedom

      A letter from the Foundation for Religious Freedom was posted to a.r.s
      this week. They are the Scientology group that has taken over the name of
      the Cult Awareness Network.

      "In the spirit of this holiday season, I am enclosing information on a
      vital new publication from the Foundation for Religious Freedom: Tolerance
      101: Practical Solutions for Interfaith Family Problems. This book
      communicates basic truths which any family can use constructively when
      confronted with a loved one's involvement with an unfamiliar religious
      group, or to use the pejorative, a so-called 'cult'.

      "As you may be aware, the Foundation for Religious Freedom operates the
      'New Cult Awareness Network' or CAN. Tolerance 101 is intended to counter
      or replace previous volumes distributed to bookstores and libraries by
      those seeking to create suspicion and distrust between members of
      differing faiths. To see that this new book is widely distributed
      throughout the public nationwide, the 'New CAN' needs our support. As the
      year ends, please consider a tax-deductible gift to this organization to
      assist the Tolerance 101 project. You can donate by check or credit card
      to the 'Foundation for Religious Freedom' by using the enclosed return
      envelope.

      "Yours very truly, Timothy Bowles

      "The Foundation is a tax-exempt, non-profit organization dedicated to
      bringing reason, truth, and understanding to an often explosive subject:
      the involvement of oneself, a friend or loved one in a group that might be
      called a 'cult'. We don't criticize or endorse any one religion. We have
      people from many diverse Faiths on our board and acting as professional
      referrals. Our service is free. We promote honesty, dialogue, and mutual
      respect."

      The controversy over Windows 2000 in Germany continued in the news this
      week. One of the components of the operating system was developed by a
      Scientologist-owned company. Microsoft delayed a meeting on the subject,
      according to a December 9th article in the computer magazine "c't".

      "The discussion which was scheduled for Thursday, December 9, between
      Microsoft and staff members of the Catholic Church about the effects of
      the Executive Software Scientology company on Windows 2000 has not taken
      place. The German branch called off the appointment prematurely.
      According to information received by c't, representatives of the Federal
      Office for Security in Information Technology (BSI) had also wanted to
      participate in the meeting. However, the Munich branch of the software
      giant was apparently piqued that the topic of discussion had been
      previously released to the press. Meeting participants would have
      'preferred to lead the discussion in public,' commented company spokesman
      Kurt Braatz. 'We'll get in touch with them.'

      "According to a statement by the Bavarian Interior Ministry, this does not
      present an obstacle to the introduction of Windows 2000 which is already
      in Beta test with the state administration. 'We do not want to overreact,'
      Ministry spokesman Christoph Hillenbrand said to c't. That decision would
      be more the result of a security check, which is currently being performed
      by the BSI."

      From Berliner Zeitung on December 4th:

      "Computer magazine 'c't' found out that the development of the operating
      system involved a company which is aligned with the controversial
      Scientology sect. That is how the American software smith Executive
      Software is regarded; it is managed by a professed Scientologist. Company
      boss Craig Jensen outs himself on his home page as an active member,
      awarded in the strict hierarchy of the organization with the top rank of
      'Class VIII Operating Thetan.' Membership of the company in the World
      Institute of Scientology Enterprises (WISE), the sect's business
      department, also raised considerations. Businesses organized under this
      umbrella association which supported Scientology and financially
      contributed to it. The organization makes no secret of its goal.
      'Factories, centers and communities of trade, those are the places where
      we want to have trained Scientologists,' it unabashedly states in its
      management policy.

      "'Diskeeper' is the name of the program produced by Executive Software; it
      is a tool for 'defragmenting' the disk drive. This kind of program gathers
      up pieces of files strewn about the disk. It serves to optimize the speed
      of data access and the economic use of the disk drive. In order to
      perform this function, such a tool needs to have access to every byte,
      that includes user information and documents. This function is not
      exclusive, however, because other system programs also access the complete
      data store. Nevertheless, it is absolutely technically possible to
      integrate a Trojan Horse in the operating system.

      "Windows 2000 does not guarantee effective protection from the
      unauthorized forwarding of sensitive information, because the
      defragmentation tool, contrary to what Microsoft says, cannot be erased
      from the hard disk. As soon as any kind of attempt is made to do that,
      Windows automatically reproduces the deleted files, the testers
      concluded."

      > Steven Hassan

      Steven Hassan has announced the publication of a new book, Releasing the
      Bonds: Empowering People to Think for Themselves.

      "I am proud to announce that after several years of effort, my new book
      will be ready for delivery in mid-January, 2000. We are now taking secure
      orders from our web site at www.freedomofmind.com or from a toll free
      number: 1 800 860-2139. We take Mastercard, Visa and Discover credit
      cards. For every book purchased directly from the 800 number or our web
      site, the Resource Center will be able to earn substantially more than
      from books sold through Amazon or any other bookseller.

      "'Steven Hassan's approach is one that I value more than that of any other
      researcher or clinical practitioner. Hassan is a model of clear
      exposition, his original ideas are brilliantly presented in a captivating
      style. I am confident that readers of his new book will share my
      enthusiasm for what this author tells us about how to deal with the
      growing menace of cults.' -- Philip G. Zimbardo, Professor of Psychology,
      Stanford University

      "'I participated in an unsuccessful voluntary deprogramming of my
      daughter, Barbara. For two days the team leader pounded at the cult member
      and her group. Deliberately, he insulted them using bathroom language on
      the theory that the cult member would 'snap'. We failed. As she returned
      to her group the cultist remarked, 'Where was the love?' If the team
      leader and the cult member had had the opportunity to read Hassan's
      'Releasing the Bonds,' the results might have been quite different. Hassan
      has skillfully condensed his 25 years of experience in liberating members
      of destructive groups into a valuable workbook for counselors, cult
      members and their families, and mental health professionals. His formula,
      the Strategic Interaction Approach, stresses love, respect, freedom of
      choice, customized planned action fitted to the individual with the family
      as key participants, psychotherapy, and applied social psychology.' --
      Arthur A. Dole, Editorial Advisory Board for the Cultic Studies Journal,
      American Family Foundation

      "'Steve Hassan is one of the very few people to understand the mechanics
      of manipulation. He sheds a rare light on the mysterious processes used to
      overwhelm independent thought and behavior in totalist groups. Steve is a
      truly insightful commentator whose work always stimulates. His experience
      is vast and his prose is lucid. Steve's work is a must read for anyone who
      wants to comprehend indoctrination and understand how to undo it.' -- Jon
      Atack Author of A Piece of Blue Sky: Scientology, Dianetics and L. Ron
      Hubbard Exposed

      "In Releasing the Bonds, leading cult expert and licensed mental health
      counselor, Steven Hassan describes a groundbreaking new approach that will
      help free millions from the grip of destructive mind control. In addition
      to those seeking to rescue a loved one from a cult, it will help those who
      want to: Recognize the signs of a destructive relationship or group;
      Protect themselves and others from manipulation and abuse; Undo the
      residual effects of past mind control experiences; Refute common fallacies
      about mind control and cult; Become active in fighting destructive mind
      control cults.

      "People in destructive mind control cults and relationships want to be
      free but need additional resources to escape their current situation. This
      is the premise of Steven Hassan's new book. He shows how to provide those
      resources and, ultimately, help a person leave a destructive group or
      relationship."

      #####

      > Los Angeles

      The Los Angeles times reported that the mayor of La Canada Flintridge paid
      a visit to a Scientology school there.

      "Students at Renaissance Academy have a better picture of what exactly
      Carol Liu does as mayor of La Canada Flintridge. Responding Monday to a
      invitation to visit the school, Liu told the fourth- and fifth-graders she
      presides over council meetings and attends city functions. She shared with
      the students how the council and government works. Students presented Liu
      with a copy of 'The Way to Happiness,' a book written by Scientology
      founder L. Ron Hubbard on setting a good example. Teacher Nancy Parodi
      said she saw Liu as setting a good example in her role as mayor and her
      visit as a tangible way to further educate the children."

      #####

      > Toy Wrapping

      The Austin American Statesman reported on December 17th that Scientology
      will be hosting parties to wrap toys.

      "1 p.m. Sunday. Volunteers are invited to help wrap toys and make fruit
      baskets for to be distributed through parties co-sponsored by the Church
      and the Austin Housing Authority. The Church of Scientology, 2200
      Guadeloupe St. 474-6631."

      #####

      > A Very Strange Trip

      The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette published an article on December 12th,
      including mention of the PR activity for the L. Ron Hubbard book A Very
      Strange Trip.

      "The very late L. Ron Hubbard had a best seller for a week. His book, A
      Very Strange Trip, was published in July and oddly enough appeared on The
      New York Times best-seller list, then vanished. And did I ever get into
      trouble with the Church of Scientology for poking a bit of fun at the book
      and the church. The church doesn't have a sense of humor and never gives
      up on its critics, first writing a letter to the editor about me, then
      demanding a meeting with the boss. Even then, they had the last word (or
      do I?). Just so I wouldn't forget, the church in St. Louis sent along two
      of its big books that now take up space on the end of my desk just in case
      I need to know quickly what Scientology is and how L. Ron's e-meter works.

      "A columnist for another newspaper wrote about the book and reports that
      he received the same treatment, first telephone calls to his editors
      seeking his home telephone number, then letters and demands for equal
      time. Then he wrote a sequel, 'How rigor-mortis affects penmanship,' or
      'How dead is he?' and the fur fairly flew again. He's sworn off L. Ron and
      the Scientology L. Ronnettes for good. It's not worth the grief, he says."

      #####

      > Lisa McPherson

      The judge in the Lisa McPherson civil case this week authorized the
      addition of David Miscavige to the list of defendants. From the St.
      Petersburg Times, on December 15th:

      "In a ruling Tuesday that stunned the Church of Scientology and its
      attorneys, a Hillsborough County judge allowed Scientology's worldwide
      leader, David Miscavige, to be named as a defendant in a lawsuit over the
      1995 death of church member Lisa McPherson. The lawsuit has been amended
      to say that he 'totally controls' and 'micro-manages all of Scientology,'
      and that his ecclesiastical role is part of an elaborate set-up to shield
      Scientology and its leaders from liability. The lawsuit also says
      Miscavige's subordinates informed him of McPherson's deteriorating
      condition and were acting on his orders as she became psychotic and was
      'imprisoned' for 17 days while in the care of Scientology staffers in
      Clearwater.

      "Church attorneys told Hillsborough County Circuit Judge James S. Moody
      that his ruling could add two years to the case after Miscavige hires a
      separate legal team that likely will include Gerald Feffer, a Washington,
      D.C., lawyer in the same firm that last year defended President Clinton in
      the Monica Lewinsky scandal. Feffer also worked with Miscavige for years
      to help secure Scientology's long-sought tax exempt status from the
      Internal Revenue Service."

      Bob Minton reported Scientology's arguments from another hearing in
      probate court, where Scientology is attempting to remove Lisa's aunt as
      executor of her estate.

      "Today, in a court hearing in Florida re the McPherson matter, Morris
      Weinberg complained that the Lisa McPherson Trust was trying to destroy
      the Church of Scientology by 'trying to REFORM it.' It's incredible that
      lawyers for the church would characterize the Lisa McPherson Trust's
      efforts to curtail the abusive and deceptive practices of Scientology
      Inc., i.e. REFORM, as an attempt to DESTROY Scientology. This of course is
      an absurd characterization. The Lisa McPherson Trust is simply trying to
      bring about a reform of Scientology Inc.'s abusive and deceptive
      practices."

      From the St. Petersburg Times on December 17th:

      "The wrongful death lawsuit filed against the Church of Scientology by an
      aunt of Lisa McPherson was based on fraud and improper motives,
      Scientology attorneys argued in a probate court hearing that began
      Thursday and continues today. Scientology officials say Fannie McPherson,
      who lived in Dallas, never wanted to sue the church but that Liebreich
      exploited Fannie's ill health and forged her name to one of the documents
      used in setting up the estate. They also allege that the wrongful death
      lawsuit has been taken over by Scientology critics who want to destroy the
      church. They are asking Greer to appoint someone else to head the estate.

      "Ken Dandar, the attorney for McPherson's family, said Scientology has no
      legal standing to challenge the estate. He also said it was Fannie
      McPherson's dying wish that the church be sued and exposed. At least three
      people witnessed Fannie McPherson sign the document in question, he said.
      In a six-hour hearing Thursday, Greer heard from a prominent handwriting
      expert hired by the church, as well as a notary public and a hospice
      worker who cared for Fannie McPherson. The hearing resumes this morning in
      Clearwater.

      "Meanwhile, the church has asked Pinellas-Pasco State Attorney Bernie
      McCabe to consider whether a crime was committed in setting up the estate.
      For that reason, an assistant state attorney attended Thursday's hearing."

      #####

      > Beverly Hills Mission

      Tilman Hausherr reported that the Beverly Hills mission has closed.

      "[The] Beverly Hills (La Cienega Blvd.) Scientology mission has closed
      without information of a new address. I guess the 'rich and beautiful'
      aren't interested in counting their Body Thetans."

      #####

      > Double Crossed

      Los Angeles' New Times published an article on Scientology's private
      investigators, dirty operations and harassment activities.

      "Here's why you should be skeptical about what Graham Berry and Robert
      Cipriano say about the Church of Scientology: Berry's been after the
      church for years, and he makes no secret of his desire to litigate the
      45-year-old organization to its knees. For years, he's been known for
      brash court strategies meant not only to take a bite out of the church but
      also to embarrass it publicly. To a client, he once said: 'My agenda is to
      bite Scientology in the butt and to cause it as much grief as possible.'
      He's also notorious for phone-book-thick court documents filled with tales
      of conspiracy that reach back to Scientology's 1954 founding by the late
      science-fiction writer L. Ron Hubbard. Last year, Berry filed a 312-page
      complaint on behalf of a former member of the church who claimed he'd been
      defrauded by everyone from Scientologist actor John Travolta to President
      Bill Clinton. In August, a judge declared Berry a vexatious litigant, a
      rare penalty handed out to attorneys who tie up courts with frivolous
      lawsuits.

      "Robert Cipriano, meanwhile, is an admitted liar who says that he
      willingly committed perjury last year by lying in a deposition taken under
      oath. He was willing to accept financial help for his perjured testimony
      but now claims to be doing the righteous thing by speaking out about it.
      His own court-filed declarations make him out to be something of a
      confused, pathetic loser who is usually either running from a bad
      situation or running toward someone who will give him a handout.

      "Cipriano says in court documents that five years ago he was duped by
      Scientology operatives into making false claims that Berry is a pedophile
      who bragged about having sex with boys as young as 12. Those claims ended
      up on the Internet, and Cipriano says that Scientology, which considers
      Berry a bitter enemy, contacted his colleagues, clients, and friends about
      them. Last year, Cipriano says, he was encouraged by Scientology attorneys
      to testify in a deposition about his false claims and, when he agreed,
      Scientology rewarded him handsomely. Cipriano says that when he agreed to
      help Scientology destroy one of its enemies, the church leased him a house
      and a car, helped finance his nonprofit business, and paid off a debt that
      freed him from a felony probation sentence. Cipriano also says his
      Scientology attorney rewarded him with a job at Earthlink, the Internet
      provider started by Scientologists. Berry, meanwhile, says the church's
      harassment has severely hampered his ability to practice law.

      "In 1967, Hubbard issued his 'fair game' policy, which announced that a
      suppressive person, or SP, 'may be deprived of property or injured by any
      means, by any Scientologist. He may be tricked, sued or lied to, or
      destroyed.' Since then, former Scientologists, government officials, and
      journalists have claimed to have become targets of 'fair game':

      "Paulette Cooper, author of the The Scandal of Scientology, became the
      target of Operation Freakout, an attempt by church operatives to either
      drive her insane or get her put in prison. The operatives managed to get
      Cooper indicted by framing her for making bomb threats against the church.
      She was only exonerated when documents detailing Operation Freakout were
      discovered by government agents.

      "In Florida, Scientology made the town of Clearwater one of its two world
      headquarters. When Clearwater Mayor Gabe Cazares complained about the
      church in 1976, FBI documents show the church launched a campaign to
      spread rumors about his sex life.

      "Scientology's most ambitious crusade was directed at its arch enemy: the
      Internal Revenue Service. In 1977, FBI agents raided the Church of
      Scientology in both Los Angeles and Washington, D.C., and discovered
      damning evidence that, for several years, Scientology operatives in the
      church's secretive Guardian's Office had been breaking into the IRS and
      other federal offices in Washington and stealing government documents. To
      this day, Scientology's pilfering of records, which Hubbard designated
      Operation Snow White, is the single largest infiltration of the U.S.
      government in history.

      "Eventually, 11 Scientologists, including Guardian's Office director Mary
      Sue Hubbard (wife of the church founder) were sentenced to prison. 'The
      crimes committed by these defendants is of a breadth and scope previously
      unheard,' wrote U.S. Attorney Charles Ruff in a sentencing memorandum. 'It
      is interesting to note that the Founder of their organization, unindicted
      co-conspirator L. Ron Hubbard, wrote that 'truth is what is true for you,'
      and 'illegal' is that which is 'contrary to statistics or policy' and not
      pursuant to Scientology's 'approved program.''

      "Scientology officials have argued repeatedly that the 1968 policy forever
      ended the practice of fair game, but former high-ranking Scientologists
      say the 1968 policy letter was merely a PR tactic and that the policy has
      never gone away. ''Fair game' is still in effect. I don't care what
      they've said,' says Frank Oliver, who was, until 1993, an operative in
      Scientology's Office of Special Affairs, the intelligence-gathering agency
      that replaced the Guardian's Office. Oliver and other former
      Scientologists tell New Times that OSA picked up where the GO left off,
      fair-gaming enemies on behalf of church leaders. Oliver describes his
      duties with OSA: 'Spy on people. Gather intelligence. Write reports.'
      Oliver's last assignment before leaving Scientology was to help Kendrick
      Moxon and other officials establish a special unit to target the Cult
      Awareness Network (CAN). Oliver says the goal of the unit was to recruit
      plaintiffs to sue CAN, which Scientology wanted to put out of business.
      Moxon was intimately involved in the effort that finally did just that. In
      Oliver's opinion, there's little doubt that his former colleagues have
      targeted Graham Berry.

      "In his first high-profile case for Scientology, [Eugene] Ingram took out
      full-page ads in Eastern newspapers in 1982 looking for information in a
      bad-check case. Ingram then went to the press with accusations that Boston
      attorney Michael Flynn had concocted a scheme to steal millions from an L.
      Ron Hubbard bank account. (Flynn was litigating several cases against
      Scientology at the time.) Ingram's chief piece of evidence against Flynn
      was a declaration by a man named Ala Tamimi, who said that Flynn had tried
      to use his brother to pass a bad check on Hubbard's account. Former
      high-ranking Scientologist Stacy Brooks tells New Times that the ads and
      the Tamimi declaration were all part of a Scientology scam to ruin Flynn's
      reputation -- she knows because she wrote the ads. 'Ingram manufactures
      whatever evidence he wants,' she says. Ultimately, Tamimi admitted in yet
      another court declaration that he'd been paid by Ingram to write a
      declaration falsely accusing Flynn.

      "A Chicago teenager, Jonathan Nordquist, says he was convinced in 1991 to
      sign a misleading declaration by Ingram. Nordquist testified in a court
      case that Ingram paid him $300 just for meeting him to discuss making the
      declaration. '[Ingram] said, 'Now this isn't paying you for the
      declaration.' He insisted it wasn't. It was just for my time. It is the
      highest paying job I ever had,' Nordquist testified.

      "In 1994, a warrant was issued for Ingram's arrest on charges of
      impersonating an officer after he flashed a badge at a Tampa, Florida,
      woman and told her he was a police detective seeking information about a
      local sheriff's possible involvement in a prostitution ring.

      "In 1995, Rubye Ward, 74, says Ingram identified himself as 'Jack Hoff,'
      saying he was a former classmate of her son, Grady. She turned over some
      photographs of her son, who was an outspoken critic of Scientology being
      sued by the church. Scientology officials later admitted in court
      documents that Ingram had, in fact, persuaded Rubye to turn over the
      photographs.

      "When New Times asked Moxon about Cipriano's allegations, he responded by
      denigrating Graham Berry and sending over a packet of documents that
      described Berry's numerous court sanctions. Moxon said Cipriano's August
      declaration was actually Berry's doing and that given the chance, Cipriano
      wouldn't back up that declaration's allegations. 'The [August] declaration
      is peppered with false statements. You will never get Cipriano to affirm
      the contents of the declaration under oath -- he knows it is full of
      lies,' Moxon wrote in a letter to New Times. When he was told that New
      Times had already spoken to Cipriano, who had repeated verbally what he
      had written and had turned over voluminous records to back up his version
      of events, Moxon started questioning a New Times writer about his motives.
      Repeatedly asked to talk about whether he had leased Cipriano a car and a
      house and had paid off his felony debt, Moxon instead questioned whether
      New Times had paid anyone for information for this story. (It hasn't.)"

      #####

      > Scientology Booth

      The Sacramento Bee reported on a Scientology booth at an area mall in a
      December 18th article.

      "Mike Klagenberg runs the Scientology booth on Downtown Plaza's east end,
      a cubby hole that attracts five to 10 shoppers each hour. Klagenberg wears
      a light brown mustache with his blue Santa tie and sits behind an
      eye-catching sign: 'Free Stress Test.' The word 'stress' is in red
      letters. It's enough to attract Jones, who in seconds finds himself
      holding two palm-sized metal cylinders, attached to black wires that lead
      to a curious blue machine with four dials and a meter. 'It's basically a
      device designed by L. Ron Hubbard to assist in the delivery of the
      techniques of Scientology,' Klagenberg explains before a wall of Hubbard's
      'Dianetics' books. He determines that money stresses Jones, partly because
      he would like more. 'I'd buy my kids houses if I could,' Jones says.
      Klagenberg notes that most people stress over finances, but also social
      problems and relationship issues: 'A lot of people come here and say
      they're going to blow up my meter.'"

      #####

      > Switzerland

      "sda" reported on December 13th that the legislator involved in the Swiss
      Scientology spy case is defending herself against an Internet web page.

      "Basel Greater Assemblywoman Susanne Haller has defended herself against
      accusations of having acting as an 'undercover woman' for the state
      attorney's office. She has obtained a super-provisional order in the Basel
      civil court against the operator of an internet web page. In the order,
      the author of the web page is prohibited from describing the Basel
      Scientology critic as an 'undercover woman' or as an 'agente
      provocatrice,' as confirmed by Haller in a report by Basel Regional
      Journal on DRS radio on Monday. He is also prohibited from accusing Haller
      of 'lies' or 'treason.' The accusations were in connection with
      proceedings against a German Constitutional Security agent in November.
      The agent, who was sentenced to 30 days suspended, had wanted to collect
      information on the activities of German members of Scientology in
      Switzerland. He received support in doing that from Zurich sect specialist
      Odette Jaccard. Jaccard was sentenced by Basel criminal court to 10 days
      suspended.

      "As of Monday morning, the web page against Haller referred to by the
      super-provisional order had been removed with the comment 'censored.'
      Besides that, a facsimile of the Basel civil court order is displayed.
      There will still be another hearing in the Basel civil court as to how the
      order can be withdrawn."

      #####

      > Battlefield Earth

      Dark Horizons, a movie news web site, reports that Scientology celebrity
      John Travolta is planning to make the sequel movie to Battlefield Earth.

      "A special screening of an early rough cut of the sci-fi feature
      'Battlefield: Earth' took place recently, apparently attended by John
      Travolta, his manager Jonathan Krane, Director Roger Christian and several
      top Warner Brothers execs. Seems the reaction was good enough that the
      execs have already greenlighted a sequel aiming to begin shooting late
      next summer and will once again likely be located in Montreal. The project
      has always been planned as a two-movie event (the first film is only the
      first half of the novel)."