97A.r.s Week in Review - 1/7/2001

    Oct 7, 2001

      > World Trade Centers

      Rob Clark reported that Scientology is establishing new groups following
      the World Trade Centers disaster.

      "Scientology has established a new cult front group called Association for
      Peace and Understanding in the Middle East, operating under the rubric of
      ABLE, which is now attempting to recruit Middle Eastern Scientologists. It
      is meeting October 6 at 7 PM at the ABLE location on 7065 Hollywood Blvd
      in LA."

      "Claiming that only they have the tech to bring businesses back, the cult
      is planning to open a 'Hubbard College of Administration' in New York City
      and frantically recruiting cultists to man the swindle operation. The
      front group is the 'Business Relief Center,' which will basically be a
      Hubbard College of Administration. The front man for the swindle is
      Harrison Quigley."

      Scientology is promoting a new web site, which blames the attack on New
      York on the Psychiatrists.

      "A new website provides answers to the unnerving question gnawing at
      everyone's mind since the recent violent terrorist attacks on America:
      'What sort of person is capable of such evil?' Two figures who feature
      prominently in CCHR's website are psychiatrist and surgeon, Dr. Ayman
      al-Zawhariri, chief advisor and doctor to Osama bin-Laden, and Ali A.
      Mohamed, a psychologist who has trained bin-Laden's terrorist troops in
      combat and psychological warfare.

      "'Both are capable of using drugs and other mental techniques to create
      suicide-bombers convinced of the glory of sacrifice and dying,' Ms.
      Eastgate said. 'But,' she points out, 'we have been here before. For
      example, the Japanese 'kamikaze' pilots, who confounded us by suicidally
      attacking allied shipping during World War II, used psychiatric drugs
      called amphetamines to get charged up.'"

      Entertainment Tonight on October 2nd featured the opening of a new
      Scientology mission in San Francisco. Scientology celebrities at the
      opening expressed their feelings about the WTC disaster.

      "Tom Cruise, John Travolta, Kirstie Alley and other celebrities were on
      hand last Saturday to support fellow Scientologist and star Jenna Elfman
      as she established a new Scientology mission in San Francisco. But, of
      course, the prominent topic on everyone's minds was the September 11
      terrorist bombings and its aftermath relief efforts.

      "'I was asked by the firemen and the policemen to go to Ground Zero, and I
      went out of my way to be with them,' said Travolta, who was recently in
      New York City to do his part. Meeting up to 600 different workers, wives
      and firemen, John shook hands, posed for pictures, and signed helmets and
      autographs. 'I hope I cheered them up. I think I did. In any little way,
      you try.'

      "Responding to the tragedy, Elfman said, 'I think it was a planetary
      wake-up call.' Jenna, along with friends and hundreds of church
      volunteers, personally took part in the remodeling and design of the
      building dedicated to Arts for Kids, a free community service the mission
      will offer to children and their families."

      A letter to the editor of the Los Angeles Times on October 2nd praised
      Scientology's volunteer ministers in New York.

      "Scientology volunteer ministers have a long track record of helping amid
      disasters -- the L.A. quake a few years ago, the wars in Kosovo and
      Bosnia, the riots in Los Angeles, earthquakes in Taiwan, after the bombing
      of the Atlanta Olympic Games, at the Federal Building in Oklahoma, after
      the shootings at Columbine High School, and many others.

      "We have consistently helped alleviate suffering amidst devastation, and
      we always will, for the aims of the church are a world without crime,
      without insanity and without war, where the able can prosper and honest
      people can have rights. - Mary Bordeaux, Montrose"

      From letters to the editor of the St. Petersburg Times on October 3rd:

      "I am 18 years old, I live in Clearwater and I have been a Scientologist
      all my life. I got on the first bus I could to go to New York and
      volunteer. I and the other volunteers I worked with were doing anything
      we could to help the firefighters and Police Department. We would feed
      them all their meals, supply them with snacks and drinks and clothing. We
      were also in the bucket lines for hours at a time.

      "All of the agencies on the site, including the Fire Department of New
      York, the New York Police Department, FBI, CIA, Army, Navy, the Marines
      and the National Guard, were all so grateful to us. There were people on
      their knees thanking us, giving us their jackets off their backs in
      appreciation. Anyone who has a bad opinion about Scientology or
      Scientologists and has gone out of their way to publicly express it at a
      time like this reminds me of who we are dealing with in their actions
      toward America. - Adrian Austin, Clearwater

      "Pinellas County officials apparently forgot 25 years of abuse of members
      and citizens by the Scientologists when they commended the Scientology
      volunteers who recruited among the ruins of Wall Street in New York. Since
      the majority of county commissioners received generous contributions from
      the Scientology-Chamber of Commerce coalition, it was payback time.
      Whoever pays the piper calls the tune.

      "Voters are urged to examine the campaign contribution reports for elected
      county, state and local officials to understand why a few attorneys,
      builders and developers wield so much power and influence over
      commissioners and governing boards and committees. A recent ruling by the
      Pinellas County EEOC reflects bias in support of Scientologists. If the
      cult can refuse to serve any non-Scientologist, it can refuse to serve any
      citizen. This ruling must be reversed. - Gabe Cazares, Clearwater

      The Los Angeles Times reported on October 3rd that a Glendale woman
      created a mural in the New York org during the rescue effort.

      "The local artist had planned to use her training as a Scientologist to
      advise distraught rescue workers digging through the rubble at the World
      Trade Center. But she ended up leaving another legacy. Hepner created a
      vibrant American flag mural. 'We were only there for 24 hours,' Hepner
      said of her trip a week after the attacks. Working with her husband,
      Randy, and two other volunteer ministers from the Church of Scientology,
      Hepner finished the mural in about six hours. The mural was left where it
      was created, at a Scientology church a few blocks from the mass of
      crumpled steel and other materials."

      E-mails to Scientologists continue to describe efforts in New York.

      "Out of the chaos and confusion that has overwhelmed much of New York and
      the US a stable datum has arisen - 'The guys in the yellow shirts.' With
      the mobilization of VMs from all over the US in full swing we now have
      hundreds on the ground Scientology Ministers and Volunteer Ministers. At
      ground zero the VMs took charge of the facilities known as Stuyvesand
      School, which was set up as a receiving facility for those who are working
      right on the site. These included Police from New York, Chicago and
      Detroit, Immigrations Officials, Firefighters from a number of states, FBI
      Anti-Terrorist Teams, members of SWAT teams, K-9 Police Units, Search and
      Rescue, Utility Workers and emergency response teams from as far away as
      Los Angeles.

      "As the activities continues, the VMs hatted non-Scientologists on what to
      do. The VMs set up the entire food line, help line and established the
      flow lines. The non-Scientologist were brought up to cause and stated that
      they wanted to be part of the team. The especially wanted the yellow
      volunteer shirts. The nerve assists were a huge success and very popular
      with disaster relief staff. A VM who was giving assists stated, 'every
      single guy was keyed out and VGIs with the assists. They got their friends
      to get on too.

      "And what happened with the psychs who had been 'In-Charge'? Since we
      jumped in so quickly, confronted what was needed and then started
      providing it, even the psychiatrists viewed us as the leaders. So, they
      started asking us what they should do. We found some good MEST work for
      them to do, which they did, and they came up tone as they were now
      contributing.

      "Immediately after the terrorism occurred, the DSA Atlanta call the
      mayor's office to find out what they needed and wanted. She spoke with the
      Director of Community Affairs, a known terminal to us in that area. Where
      asked what was needed his immediate, no comm-lag answer was, 'THE CITY
      BLANKETED WITH THE WAY TO HAPPINESS BOOKLET.' - Peter McCuen, Supercargo
      ASHOF

      "The psychs, about 3000 of them, I was told, have showed up to be on hand
      to 'counsel' these grieving people. We don't have the manpower to properly
      deal with the scene. And yet we have the chance to make an even bigger
      impact in NY but we need help NOW! It really is an all-hands scene.
      Walk, run or drive. There is a berthing I/C who can arrange anything from
      staying with locals to hotel rooms donated by the hotels. There are many
      varied jobs that need to be done, and one quickly learns how to do the
      needed assists, Book 1 sessions, etc., if they're not hatted.

      "Anyone who can show up should just go to NY Org directly, at 46th and
      Broadway. Phone: 212-921-1210."

      The Greenwich Time reported on October 7th on Scientology's version of
      events at the New York disaster site.

      "Carol Yingling, a minister at the Church of Scientology of Connecticut,
      was walking along a street in New York recently with a friend when they
      were approached by two city firefighters. 'They saw us,' said Yingling, a
      Cheshire resident, 'and said, 'You're the volunteer ministers. We love
      those nerve massage things.' ' The technical term would be 'an assist,'
      and the people volunteering in New York through the Church of Scientology
      have been giving them to rescue workers and emergency personnel in lower
      Manhattan since Sept. 11.

      "'The idea is that there is a spiritual component to any trauma,' Yingling
      said, 'whether you're injured, exhausted or had a loss; and a body does
      not heal as readily if the spiritual component is not addressed.' A
      volunteer minister working with the Scientologists may provide either a
      touch, nerve or 'locational' assist to a person under stress. These
      assists follow Eastern techniques that release a person's energy and
      reorients them. 'It releases energy so they have more,' Yingling said.

      "'The 'loss of a person assist' is a particularly effective process for
      this situation,' said Monica Brutsche, a volunteer minister from New Haven
      who spent eight days at ground zero. 'It can give a child who has lost a
      parent the ability to face the future.'

      "The church is running a free course to teach those unfamiliar with
      Scientology the basics of volunteer ministering so they can help friends
      and family. The church says it has put into the New York community 800
      volunteer ministers since Sept. 11."

      From the Globe And Mail on October 1st:

      "On Sept. 11, a sad-eyed woman with greying, unwashed hair stood one block
      from the Broadway Firehouse on Eighth Avenue, which had lost 14 men in the
      collapse of the World Trade Center that morning, and listlessly handed out
      a pamphlet entitled The Way to Happiness. 'For you in your time of need,'
      she told passersby who accepted the brochure, published by the Church of
      Scientology."

      Keith Henson reported a protest at the Toronto org on September 30th.

      "Gregg and I were in Toronto so the org got a 35 minute picket with me 110
      feet up the street and Gregg right in front of the org. The only thing of
      any note was a citizen who brought his teen age daughter by to go inside
      the org for a class project. Gregg was more than a bit upset with the guy
      not having the slightest idea of what Scientology was about and what he
      was subjecting his daughter too. After a few minutes of bringing him up to
      date on the subject the somewhat horrified guy accepted an Xenu flyer and
      did get his daughter back. I estimate we gave out 75 flyers."

      #####

      > Search Engines

      Westword reported on October 4th that Scientology critic Lawrence
      Wollersheim has been involved in a bidding war against Scientology to get

      "Go to GoTo.com, an Internet search engine that provides 'sponsored'