65A.r.s Week in Review - 2/4/2001

    Feb 4, 2001

      > Australia

      'Fier' reported this week that his Australian Internet service has blocked
      his web site due to complaints from Scientology.

      "My Canberra (Australia) ISP has blocked my critical website on our
      favourite cult. My website was located at
      http://members.dynamite.com.au/eclipse As yet I do not have any good
      reason as to why it was blocked. It had been sitting there idling for over
      2 years, had no copyright material on it, had no recent material on it,
      had no libelous comments whatsoever and was an accurate portrayal of the
      Canberra pickets and the outrageous behaviour of the Scientologists.
      Apparently the church did not give any reason, other than they don't like
      it, and will 'take the matter further'.

      "I was recently in court with the Canberra Scientologists, as they had
      made a second Restraining Order Application on me. They alleged I was
      violent, potentially violent, constantly hostile and dangerous with my
      picket signs. I counter alleged they have been out to get me for some time
      now, and because their other 3-4 legal threats failed to have any impact,
      are resorting to abusing our legal system to curb my free speech.

      "In the 2nd day of court he offered (with my grudging consent) the
      Applicant an attempted settlement, whereby the Order was for 6 months and
      I couldn't approach within 50 metres. The Scientologists refused to
      settle. I had an excellent defence and their application was thrown."

      #####

      > Austria

      OTS reported on January 23rd that Scientology is demanding the dissolution
      of political parties who have criminal convictions.

      "If one follows this nonsensical anti-human rights violation, the people
      should dissolve political parties when they or their leaders have brought
      two or more criminal convictions upon themselves. A suggestion from
      Senator Nicolas About and Representative Catherine Picard on the shutting
      down of religious organizations under the very same conditions will come
      to a vote on January 25th in the French Senate.

      "As a protest against this law, Scientologists will hold a demonstration
      on Wednesday at 10 a.m. in front of the French Embassy."

      > Battle Creek

      Scientology's plans to buy a hotel in Battle Creek, Michigan were the
      subject of letters to the editor of the Battle Creek Enquirer on February
      3rd.

      "I was appalled that the Enquirer printed a letter from a person who knows
      nothing first-hand about the Scientology religion. This person has quotes
      from a magazine known for getting things backwards, like featuring Adolph
      Hitler as 'Man of the Year.' It is also too bad that the people of Battle
      Creek, a city founded on tolerance, are receiving false information based
      on the now-defunct Cult Awareness Network, which filed bankruptcy after a
      $1 million-plus judgment against them for participating in the
      kidnap-deprogramming of a Pentecostal Christian from Washington state.

      "Could it be that the person spreading lies about Scientology has his own
      agenda for the old Hart Hotel? - Jason Blowers, Kalamazoo

      "I was very pleased to read Mr. Rodney A. Whitehair's letter of Jan. 27 in
      Readers' Views titled: 'Where is outrage over Scientology?' He seemed to
      have explained in a goodly manner what the cult 'Scientology' stands for -
      not good, that's for sure. From what I read about this 'Scientology'
      organization, our dear city of Battle Creek does not deserve to have such
      a cult make its home here. Why this large controversial organization chose
      to come to Battle Creek is a conundrum to me. - Pauline A. Wade

      "In 1967, an Internal Revenue Service ruling stripped the 'mother church'
      of its tax-exempt status and in 1988 the U.S. Supreme Court upheld the
      revocation. Since then, a massive IRS probe of church centers has been
      under way. To top it off, the Chamber of Commerce is cooperating in the
      sale. If this is the way the Chamber is going to operate under Ted
      Dearing, we need yet another change in management. Old Kent Bank should
      think twice before losing half its established customers when the truth of
      Scientology is known.

      "'Scientology is quite likely the most ruthless, most classically
      terroristic, most litigious and most lucrative cult the country has ever
      seen,' reports Cynthia Kisser of Cult Awareness Network in the Time
      article. 'This is a criminal organization, day in and day out,' testified
      Vicki Aznaran, at one time one of Scientology's top six leaders.
      Scientology is godless and its purpose is to defraud the public. One of
      Scientology head L. Ron Hubbard's most famous quotes: 'The law can be used
      very easily to harass, and enough harassment on somebody who is simply on
      the thin edge anyway will generally be sufficient to cause his
      professional decline. If possible, of course, ruin him utterly.' - Rodney
      A. Whitehair"

      #####

      > Razzies

      Battlefield Earth has been nominated for the Razzie awards, given to the
      worst films of the year. From UPI on January 29th:

      "The infamous Golden Raspberry Award Foundation struck again this week
      with nomination ballots for the 21st annual Razzie awards, the least
      sought-after trophies in show business. The awards spoof the sanctified
      Academy Awards, which take no notice of the Razzies. It matters not to
      Razzie officials whether a film is a hit, nor does the popularity of stars
      make a difference. If the membership deems the work awful, disgusting,
      untenable or obnoxious, it rewards the effort with a Razzie.

      "This year's suggested nominees: Any two actors in Blair Witch 2. Patricia
      Arquette and Adam Sandler (Little Nicky). Joan Collins and Harvey Korman
      (The Flintstones in Viva Rock Vegas). Richard Gere and Winona Ryder
      (Autumn in New York). Any two Pokemon (Pokemon 2000). Madonna and either
      Rupert Everett or Benjamin Bratt (The Next Best Thing). Tom Cruise and
      Thandie Newton (Mission: Impossible 2). Ah-nold as the real Adam Gibson,
      and Ah-nold as the clone of Adam Gibson in (The 6th Day). And finally,
      John Travolta and any one sharing the screen with him in Battlefield
      Earth."

      #####

      > Faith-Based

      U.S. President Bush has introduced bills that would allow faith-based
      organizations to compete for government money to fund charitable programs.
      From the New York Times on January 31st:

      "Bush outlined a series of tax changes to spur charitable giving to
      religious and other community organizations. He also announced new federal
      grants to support organizations -- particularly religious groups -- that
      rehabilitate inmates, mentor the children of prisoners and provide housing
      for pregnant single women. The White House provided no estimate of the
      cost of the tax breaks and the grants, which would require legislative
      action.

      "Aides said they intended to allow any religious group, including
      controversial organizations such as the Church of Scientology and the
      Nation of Islam, to compete for government money if their social services
      programs had proven results."

      From Tagesspiegel Berlin on January 31st:

      "In three weeks an independent office for religious affairs is to be
      established in the White House; this office will coordinate the
      distribution of monies. 'From now on when we look at social grievances in
      American,' said Bush, 'the first thing my administration will ask is which
      religious and local programs there are which we can support in the fight
      against these grievances.' The initiative is strongly criticized by
      liberal citizens rights advocates. They view the constitutionally
      guaranteed separation of church and state as being at risk and ask if only
      those junkies who say their prayers twice a day will be freed from their
      addiction. They are also concerned about discrimination among religions
      and possible misuse of state money.

      "The Scientologists say they have an absolutely successful anti-drug
      program. Are they to receive tax money too? And what about the Nation of
      Islam?"

      From the television program News Hour with Jim Lehrer on January 29, 2001:

      "WENDY KAMINER: First of all it's very misleading to talk about
      faith-based social services. What we're really talking about are federally
      funded sectarian social services. Faith does not exist in the abstract. It
      takes the form of some very different sectarian beliefs and institutions.
      Imagine if we weren't just talking about giving federal dollars to the
      nice Methodist church down the block but we were giving federal dollars to
      the Church of Scientology, to David Koresch, to even the Nation of Islam,
      which is a very controversial religion. When the government gets involved
      in funding sectarian activities, it inevitably comes under pressure to
      favor popular religions and to discriminate against very unpopular
      religions or religions that will be labeled sects - that will be labeled
      cults."

      From the television show Face the Nation, on February 4th with White House
      advisor Steven Goldsmith:

      "Bob Schieffer: Let's say that the Rev. Louis Farrakhan, who runs a very
      successful rehabilitation project for people in prisons. Would he be
      eligible for federal money?

      "Steven Goldsmith: Basically what the president said is that we shouldn't
      discriminate against faith-based organizations. If an organization can
      apply for funds because it's secular, to do drug treatment, sets up a
      501(c)(3) next door to apply to those, then you evaluate that proposal
      based on the terms of the grant. Is it performance? Is it accountable?
      Does it prevent people from using drugs again? You cannot discriminate
      against people based on religion.

      "Bob Schieffer: But people say that the Rev. Farrakhan preaches hate.
      Would he, I'd just like to get back to the original question. Would he be
      eligible?

      "Steven Goldsmith: And I'd say that you can't discriminate on the basis of
      religion. But you can discriminate based on the purpose of the
      organization. If the organization preaches hate or violence, it wouldn't
      comply with the terms of the grant.

      "Bob Schieffer: What about the Church of Scientology?

      "Steven Goldsmith: I think the same applies to all these issues. These
      organizations can come with their 501(c)(3)'s and apply. I'd say if they
      preach hate, if they can't perform the terms of the contract, they
      shouldn't be allowed to apply."

      The St. Petersburg Times reported on January 30st that Scientology has
      been identified as the owner of an apartment complex adjacent to the
      Hacienda Gardens, in which many Sea Org staff are housed.

      "The Church of Scientology has purchased a 120-unit apartment complex just
      north of its sprawling Hacienda Gardens staff housing on Saturn Avenue.
      Few people have heard about the church's $4-million purchase of Sherwood
      Gardens Apartments in 1999 -- the church bought it under a corporate name.
      No Scientology staff members live there now, but church spokesman Ben Shaw
      said Sherwood Gardens was purchased with an eye to the future.

      "In coming years, the Church of Scientology plans to nearly double the
      number of staff members in Clearwater when the massive 'Super Power'
      building is completed downtown. When the church's expansion is complete,
      the Clearwater staff will go from its existing 1,300 to at least 2,000 --
      and those additional 700 people will need somewhere to live. 'That's why
      Sherwood was gotten, as a stopgap for the future,' said church spokesman
      Ben Shaw. 'We wanted to make sure we had something.' Shaw said most of the
      church's existing housing in Clearwater, including Hacienda Gardens,
      already is full.

      "The focus is on several major ongoing projects downtown, mainly the
      seven-story building going up across the street from the church's Fort
      Harrison Hotel. In addition, renovations are continuing on the Osceola
      Inn, a vacant retirement center across from the church's Sandcastle
      property. It is being renovated to accommodate parishioners who visit
      Sandcastle for advanced Scientology counseling.

      "No tenants have been asked to leave, although longtime residents say it
      appears no effort has been made to fill apartments when they are vacated.
      About half the apartments are empty, said Jack Turk, 75, who has lived at
      Sherwood Gardens since 1977 and said he will wait and see what happens.
      Many tenants told the Times they no longer have leases. Those interviewed
      also said rents have not increased since the church purchased the complex.
      Shaw said the church won't make any decisions about Sherwood Gardens for
      six months to a year. In the meantime, Shaw said, 'nobody is going to ask
      them (the tenants) to go anywhere.'"

      The Times reported on January 29th that the city has discarded it's slogan
      "One City. One Future."

      "Rather than set aside money for 'One City. One Future' projects, interim
      City Manager Bill Horne explained to commissioners, he's decided to scrap
      the city's old redevelopment slogan and refer to those projects as
      'infrastructure' needs. The 'One City. One Future' logo, of course, was
      heavily associated with controversial former City Manager Mike Roberto. It
      was the name given to the city's efforts to redevelop downtown and the
      beach, beautifying Gulf-to-Bay Boulevard and improving North and South
      Greenwood, among other projects."

      Bob Minton reported that the Purification Rundown has been shut down in
      Hamburg.

      "Expect to see more hateful attacks on Mrs. Caberta in the coming days.
      The reason for these attacks is simple -- Mrs. Caberta is very effective
      in fighting the criminal fraud of Scientology. Last week the Hamburg
      Government shut down Scientology's delivery of the Purification Rundown in
      Hamburg."

      Stuttgarter Zeitung reported on February 1st that Scientology is
      threatening the city of Stuttgart with a lawsuit for interfering with
      video ads on a downtown tower.

      "The movement announced it would sue the City of Stuttgart because a
      pre-paid video commercial for Scientology writings was taken out of the
      program at the municipal Bosch Tower at Pragsattel. Besides that the
      controversial organization also handed a petition to State Assembly
      President Peter Straub. In the petition 59 Scientologists demanded the
      dissolution of a work group which resides in the Ministry of Culture and
      which is concerned with sects and psycho-groups. The signers used the
      usual heavy artillery in their list of reasons: they accused the head of
      the work group and CDU regional assemblyman Hans-Werner Carlhoff not only
      of wasting taxpayers' money and discrimination, but also of disinformation
      and misuse of office.

      "The activism by the Hubbard disciples was triggered by an expert opinion
      report about sects and psycho-groups from the State administration of
      Baden-Wuerttemberg. It warned about the Scientologists' activities. The
      report deals critically with the sect founder's writings, which are said
      to aim for a 'cleared' society and to reprogram sect members into robots.
      'We'd rather have you dead than incapable,' sect guru L. Ron Hubbard is
      quoted as saying.

      "The Hubbard disciples have also tried to get a foot in the door at the
      fair in Stuttgart. This newspaper has received a written response stating
      that the Scientology publishing company has tried multiple times in
      Seevetal-Maschen to rent meeting spaces. But in the meantime there is a
      black list on the Killesberg which has proved itself helpful. Pointing out
      the lack of capacity, the Scientologists have always been refused. However
      the early warning system failed on the video-wall at the Pragsattel. The
      sect was able to win an agency contracted by the fair, and so one of their
      video-spots was shown for days on the open-air screen. Since then the
      agency has been reprimanded, but that's not enough for the SPD in the
      assembly hall. The politicians want the agency dissolved."

      Der Tagesspiegel reported on February 1st that UPS has lost its lawsuit,
      in which it claimed it had no connections to Scientology.

      "The 'Aktion Bildungsinformation' consumer advocate organization may
      continue to assert that the UPS strengthens the finances and capacity of
      the Scientology sect. The Berlin State Court overturned an application for
      a temporary restraining order yesterday which the UPS had effected against
      statements to that effect by the chairman of the organization, Eberhard
      Kleinmann. The consumer advocate's accusations were based on items
      including donations which UPS had made to Scientology organizations.
      Thomas Brach, the UPS attorney, said yesterday that it had not been clear
      to UPS that the organization maintained connections to Scientology. While
      court did not consider it had proof that UPS knowingly supported
      Scientology-aligned organizations, neither did it find Kleinmann's
      statements impermissible in light of freedom of opinion."

      > Keith Henson

      A motion by the prosecutors in the case against Keith Henson for making
      terroristic threats was posted to a.r.s this week, in which they are
      attempting to suppress any evidence about the purpose of Keith's protests,
      or any information about Scientology.

      "The People of the State of California hereby move pursuant to California
      Evidence Code 352 to preclude defendant from introducing evidence of or
      concerning three accidental deaths at or near property belonging to a
      Church of Scientology. The People expect that defendant will attempt to
      introduce evidence of these deaths and the Church of Scientology's
      'involvement' in them, to either justify his criminal acts or to prejudice
      the jury against the complaining witnesses and their employer.

      "There can be no other purpose to defendant's attempt to introduce the
      evidence than to confuse and prejudice the jury and to attempt to
      prejudice the court. Defendant does not propose to introduce evidence
      probative of a genuine issue in this case; rather, he desperately is
      looking for some issue, any issue, to attempt to justify his introduction
      of inflammatory and irrelevant evidence."

      #####

      > Los Angeles

      The Los Angeles Times reported on February 1st that a local Chamber of
      Commerce will hold an event at a local org.

      "The Montrose-Verdugo City Chamber of Commerce will host a Valentine Mixer
      from 6 to 8 p.m. at the Church of Scientology Mission of the Foothills,
      2254 Honolulu Ave. in Montrose. There will be a business card drawing,
      raffles, food, refreshments and entertainment. A $5 donation is requested
      from nonmembers and $3 from members."

      #####

      > Bob Minton

      Activist Bob Minton reported that Scientology has been handing out flyers
      in Boston to harass his wife and children.

      "Since September 2000, 2 Caucasian Scientologists have been posing as
      Nigerians and distributing flyers 3 or 4 times per week on Beacon Hill in
      Boston claiming that they are trying to get me to return money to poor
      Nigerians.

      "Here is the text of the January 23, 2001 flyer.

      "'The World Bank and the Nigerian secret debt buy-back schemes. In two
      complex frauds, involving over US$ 6 billion in Nigerian funds between the
      years 1987-1998, Nigerian officials and American banker Robert Minton
      filled their own pockets at the expense of unsuspecting debt holders,
      financial institutions and Nigerian creditors. Minton defended his
      criminal actions by claiming that he had the tacit approval of the IMF and
      World Bank.

      "'Mr. Caio Koch-Weser headed the African desk of the World Bank at the
      time. His appointment as Managing Director of the IMF was vetoed by the US
      early in 2000; he is currently the Deputy Finance Minister of Germany. If
      Minton is right it could catapult the World Bank into the midst of an
      explosive situation because one of the biggest deals Minton carried out
      was with the Paris Club of creditors which lost billions of dollars. The
      scheme itself was kept secret with debt holders, financial institutions
      and Nigerian creditors not being informed by Minton that he was buying the
      debts with Nigerian funds.'"

      #####

      > Mo Alexander

      Peter Alexander reported this week that his son Mo has avoided attending
      the Mojave Academy, a Scientology boarding school for kids who have
      Scientology ethics problems.

      "Mo was about to be forced to attend a Scientology School called The
      Mojave Academy. Mo was going to first be sent to a portal called Larry's
      House, where a Scientology would try to brainwash him into disconnecting
      from and ceasing all further communication with me, his father. Patricia
      Greenway mobilized the mighty forces of ARS and the IRC channel, and they
      swooped down upon this plan. Larry's House was bombarded by telephone
      calls and faxes, and by the time I called Larry on the phone, he wanted
      nothing to do with Mo ever again.

      "I would like to report that due to these fine efforts, Mo is now safely
      ensconced in a non-Scientology boarding school. He is out of the grips of
      Scientology, and plans to keep it that way. Because the law requires that
      his mother and I stay in communication regarding Mo and my other children,
      she cannot disconnect from me either. This means that she is officially
      PTS, and therefore banned from Church of Scientology Flag Services. I
      believe this also applies to my older, Scientologist son Max."

      Jeff Jacobsen reported a protest in downtown Clearwater this week.

      "Tampawog and I picketed the Super Power Building from about 11:30am to
      12:30pm on Saturday. There was quite a bit of traffic around, with lots of
      people giving us the thumbs up but few horn honks. I got 3 middle fingers,
      which I think is a record. 5 security guys were assigned to us, including
      Paul Kellerhals for a while. One guy stationed himself about a block north
      on Ft. Harrison Avenue, and directed Scientologists walking our way to go
      to the next street west so they wouldn't have to look at 2 guys with
      signs."

      Kristi Wachter reported a protest in San Francisco.

      "Time: noon to 2 plus 4:15-4:45; Weather: gorgeous; Picketers: Peaches,
      Kristi, Tim, Tory, Murdoch, Keith Henson, Arel Henson, Phr.

      "Loads of Scientologists: Jeff takes pics, Craig hands out libelous bigot
      fliers and occasionally tries to talk to me & Murdoch, Robin hands out
      Purif brochures and later bigot fliers. Jeff calls Tory a bitch. Mr. Overt
      calls me a prostitute (again). Suddenly - Keith & Arel! The
      Scientologists bring out the video camera. Just as we're taking the final
      group photo - Phr! Afterward we go hang at the cafe for two hours, then
      Murdoch, Phr, & I do another half hour."

      -end-