191A.r.s Week in Review - 8/3/2003

    Aug 3, 2003

      > Acting Seminar

      The web log site justanormalgayguy.blogspot.com described on July 24th a
      seminar at the Celebrity Center in Los Angeles for actors looking to get
      into the movie industry.

      "Last night I attended a seminar on 'How to Get Into the Industry'
      presented at the Church of Scientology Celebrity Centre International in
      Hollywood, presented by Terri Novitsky. I presumed the 'seminar' would be
      some hook for something else that may or may not be legitimate or in my
      best interests. I was escorted by a nice gentleman in a suit to a back
      room where others were waiting for the seminar to begin. It was warm
      inside and those in attendance were sitting nervously, fanning themselves,
      and waiting for the seminar to start. Meanwhile people were flipping
      through the booklets we all got written by L. Ron Hubbard.

      "Terri came in about 5 minutes late, but full of sincere energy and
      enthusiasm. I could tell she was a little nervous herself. There were
      about 12 of us, all shapes/sizes/ages. We did some exercises where we said
      a line and she told us what emotion to express. I went in front of the
      class and found myself getting into it.

      "Terri has great things to offer, but the seminar was a hook to get us to
      buy another seminar for $35.00 which is probably good, but I declined. The
      Scientology people tried pressuring me into signing up now and not
      'procrastinating.' I saw it for what it was and decided if I wanted to do
      the seminar, I'd do it later after I've done more exploring."

      #####

      > Los Angeles

      The LA Independent reported on July 30th that Scientology has paid the
      back taxes it owed to the local business district.

      "The Church of Scientology on July 18 paid more than $94,000 in delinquent
      property taxes on four of its Hollywood properties, including tens of
      thousands to the local business improvement district. The Independent
      reported the day before that the church had failed to pay $94,625 for the
      fiscal year that ended June 30 on its properties, including $41,227 to the
      Hollywood Entertainment District.

      "'The payment was in the works and this happens to coincide with your
      article,' said spokeswoman Linda Simmons Hight. 'It's really a non-issue,'
      she said. 'I can't think of anything of less interest to the Hollywood
      community than when somebody is going to pay their property taxes. I know
      it's of great interest to the [business improvement district], but that
      really isn't of general interest.'

      "The Hollywood Entertainment District had counted on receiving money from
      the Church of Scientology this year to fund services like street cleaning,
      security patrols and graffiti removal. The church, whose members include
      several celebrities, had owed about $31,200 in total taxes on its 6331
      Hollywood Blvd. property, $41,700 on its 6349 Hollywood Blvd. property,
      $4,800 on its 1715 Ivar Street property and $16,700 on its 6724 Hollywood
      Blvd. property."

      #####

      > Lisa McPherson

      The United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit ruled on July
      22nd that a judgment against the estate of Lisa McPherson be set aside for
      lack of jurisdiction.

      "In 1997, the Estate of Lisa McPherson filed a wrongful death action in
      state court in Tampa, Florida against various corporations and individuals
      affiliated with the Church of Scientology. Upon being served with the
      complaint, and ostensibly as a cost-saving measure, Defendant Flag Service
      Organization (Flag) proposed to the Estate that they enter into an
      agreement to limit the number of Scientology-related corporate entities
      and individuals that would be named in the suit. The Estate and Flag
      consequently entered into a contract in which the Estate agreed to forego
      adding certain enumerated corporate defendants, and Flag agreed to forego
      encumbering its assets.

      "In 1999, the Estate moved the Florida court to add David Miscavige to the
      list of named defendants in its wrongful death action. Miscavige is the
      Chairman of the Board of RTC, a Scientology corporation, and while RTC was
      listed among the parties which the Estate was contractually bound to
      exclude from its action, the Estate sought to add Miscavige under the
      theory that it was not contractually precluded from adding Miscavige in
      his personal capacity.

      "RTC filed suit against the Estate for breach of contract, and against
      Liebreich personally for tortiously interfering with the contract between
      the Estate and Flag. RTC filed in United States District Court in the
      Eastern District of Texas under a diversity of citizenship jurisdictional
      theory. The jury returned a verdict for $258,697.10. RTC petitioned the
      district court for an award of $549,015.84 in costs and fees for the
      litigation of this single-issue breach of contract case. The district
      court reduced the award to $327,654.00. The court did impose sanctions
      against the Estate's counsel for 30% of the attorneys' fees awarded, which
      totaled $98,296.00.

      "The contention here is that Liebreich, as the personal representative of
      the Estate, created in personam jurisdiction over the Estate. There are
      two ways in which Liebreich might have brought the Estate into the reach
      of the district court. First, the district court found general
      jurisdiction over the Estate via Liebreich. Moreover, RTC argues that
      Liebreich created specific jurisdiction over the Estate. However, neither
      general nor specific jurisdiction existed over the Estate.

      "The district court correctly found that it had general personal
      jurisdiction over Liebreich as a resident of Texas. However, the district
      court impermissibly imputed that general personal jurisdiction to the
      Estate. As a creature of the Florida probate regime, the Estate resides
      in Florida. Thus, for an estate probated in a foreign jurisdiction to
      establish the type of continuous and systematic contact necessary for
      general jurisdiction, the representative of the Estate must have made
      those contacts in her representative capacity, on behalf of the Estate. It
      is not sufficient that the personal representative herself lives in Texas.

      "In sum, the district court lacked personal jurisdiction over the Estate.
      Liebreich's general jurisdiction cannot be imputed to the Estate, and the
      Estate did not establish minimum contacts relating to the breach action
      with the forum jurisdiction sufficient to support specific jurisdiction.
      Therefore, the district court erred in failing to dismiss the action
      against the Estate for want of jurisdiction."

      #####

      > WISE

      Press newspaper from New Zealand reported on July 26th that public money
      invested into a plastics factory run as a member of the World Institute of
      Scientology Enterprises has not produced the jobs that were promised, and
      is going bankrupt.

      "A year ago, the Westland District Council was defiantly pushing ahead
      with plans for the now-infamous Hokitika plastics factory. Ratepayers
      were assured that $581,000 of their money entrusted to some Australian
      entrepreneurs would jackpot within a year into a world-first factory, and
      Hokitika would be the world headquarters.

      "They were promised 53 jobs, quickly growing to more than 100, with the
      added benefit of having the plant licensed as a Wise training academy for
      local staff training. No-one was told that means World Institute of
      Scientology Enterprise, an offshoot of the Church of Scientology.

      "Even when the Australians pulled out in November (having established
      nothing more than a phone book listing in Hokitika) to focus the venture
      in Sydney, the council continued to express faith that they would be back
      and have the factory running before Christmas this year. As public
      dissension with the project grew louder, the decision was made for a
      delegation to fly to Sydney to reassure itself that all was well. It
      returned to pronounce that everything was on track. None of that will be
      forgotten now as the council scrambles to rescue the public money it
      risked.

      "FT Manufacturing (Westland) Ltd, the company hailed by Mayor John Drylie
      as leading the 'next generation' of plastics technology, has gone bust,
      and Westland ratepayers are going to be demanding answers, if not more."

      -end-