190A.r.s Week in Review - 7/27/2003

    Jul 27, 2003

      > Applied Scholastics

      The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported on July 25th that Scientology has
      opened a new headquarters for the Applied Scholastics program.

      "In a multimillion-dollar complex overlooking the Mississippi River, a
      company called Applied Scholastics International has opened its national
      headquarters - a training center for teachers, tutors and business
      trainers. The center uses methods developed by L. Ron Hubbard, the late
      science fiction writer and founder of Scientology. The company has moved
      to north St. Louis County from Los Angeles because of Missouri's central
      location and the area's rich history of education, said Bennetta
      Slaughter, chief executive officer of Applied Scholastics.

      "Leaders of Applied Scholastics say their organization is separate from
      Hubbard's Scientology, that it is based on his educational techniques. 'We
      are strictly an educational organization,' said Slaughter. 'We are not
      part of the church,' she said.

      "Applied Scholastics paid $2.9 million to buy the complex and 55 acres two
      years ago from the School Sisters of Notre Dame. The company also bought
      an adjacent 45 acres and plans to expand, Slaughter said. St. Louis County
      lists the property as taxable, a county spokeswoman said. Applied
      Scholastics spent about $2 million on renovations.

      "The company says it trained 6,000 teachers last year. It employs about 45
      people at the center. On the front wall of the complex's former chapel are
      panels describing Hubbard's 'three barriers to learning.' The barriers
      arise when a student: Cannot visualize an object, such as a combine when
      the student is studying about food production. Fails to master all the
      steps in a concept. Doesn't understand a word. Hubbard's solutions: Have a
      student use a dictionary. Provide a student a picture or model of
      unfamiliar objects. Review concepts students fail to understand.

      "Applied Scholastics was at the center of a debate in California six years
      ago when some teachers proposed that the state buy the group's books to
      supplement school textbooks. State officials approved the purchase after a
      review group found the books did not appear to advance Scientology.

      "Applied Scholastics employees have begun to introduce themselves to
      school districts, churches and other agencies in the St. Louis area,
      Slaughter said. She said several local school districts were considering
      using ASI's training.

      "Scot Danforth, who oversees teacher education for the University of
      Missouri at St. Louis, said he searched a database of four decades of
      published educational research and could find no study on L. Ron Hubbard's
      instructional techniques. 'In my opinion, they are involved in the worst
      kind of deception. They make grandiose claims about the effectiveness of
      their methods and materials with data that has never been published in a
      legitimate educational research journal,' he said.

      "Greg Jung, president of the Missouri National Education Association, is
      cautious. 'We don't know if the people who are providing training are
      qualified and if the teachers providing the tutoring are qualified,' Jung
      said."

      From the Associated Press on July 27th:

      "Executives with Applied Scholastics International say the center is
      completely secular, licensing educators and schools in the learning
      methods Hubbard developed, known as study technology. 'We have no
      religious materials. They are separate organizations,' chief executive
      officer Bennetta Slaughter said.

      "Use of Applied Scholastics materials raised questions in Los Angeles in
      1997 and in Boston in 2001, when some educators expressed concern that the
      program could have links to Scientology. J. Gordon Melton, director of the
      Institute for the Study of American Religion in Santa Barbara, Calif., has
      written about Scientology and visited Applied Scholastics centers. He said
      Applied Scholastics presents itself as separate from Scientology, and from
      everything he's seen, that's the case. Applied Scholastics isn't licensed
      to use any Scientology materials. 'It has to be separate, or it would just
      be too controversial,' Melton said.

      "The Rev. Alfreddie Johnson Jr., a Baptist pastor in Compton, Calif.,
      founded a literacy program that uses Hubbard's methods. He compared the
      current state of education to a house on fire - he doesn't care about the
      religion of the firefighters. 'You want trained individuals who will pull
      your kids out of the burning house safely,' he said.

      "The new campus can train about 700 educators at a time and has rooms to
      house about 180. Prices range from $125 for a weekend workshop to roughly
      $13,000 for a semester of study and accommodations in a suite.

      "A county economic official said it's always good to see a new development
      come into the area. 'We're not endorsing any particular teaching or belief
      system. That's not our business. We also don't want to be disrespectful of
      any beliefs,' said Steve Anderson with the St. Louis County Economic
      Council. 'It appears it will be good for the neighborhood.'"

      #####

      > Tom Cruise

      The Irish Examiner reported on July 21st that the International Dyslexia
      Association has criticized Tom Cruise for his promoting Scientology to
      help with learning disabilities.

      "Tom Cruise has upset members of the dyslexia community by claiming in an
      interview that Scientology had cured his dyslexia. Cruise, who is a
      founder of the Scientology-based Hollywood Education and Literacy Project,
      told People magazine that after he read The Basic Study Manual by L Ron
      Hubbard, his dyslexia disappeared.

      "'There is not a lot of science to support the claims that the teachings
      of Scientology founder L Ron Hubbard are appropriate to overcoming
      dyslexia,' said J. Thomas Viall, executive director of the International
      Dyslexia Association. 'When an individual of the prominence of Tom Cruise
      makes statements that are difficult to replicate in terms of what science
      tells us, the issue becomes what other individuals who are dyslexic do in
      response to such a success story.'"

      #####

      > Gold Base

      The Valley Chronicle reported on July 26th that residents in San Jacinto
      are unhappy with the closure of a highway through Scientology's Gold Base
      for the purpose of making a time-lapse film.

      "San Jacinto Mayor Jim Ayres said it reduces the number of entrances to
      San Jacinto to one at time. The city and Eastern Municipal Water District
      are involved in a two-pronged plan to lay a wastewater line under the
      road, and repave and widen the road when that is finished. 'It was built
      and paid for with taxpayer dollars,' he said and should be available to
      the public.

      "Riverside County Supervisor Jim Venable acknowledged that the timing of
      the closure probably wasn't the best, but said it is neither the first
      time it has been done, nor the longest closure. 'We closed Domenigoni
      Parkway for three weeks,' he said. 'People didn't like it but they got
      used to it.' That closure was to film the movie 'The Fast and the
      Furious.'

      "Muriel Dufresne, public relations director for Golden Era Productions,
      the Church of Scientology's in-house movie production company, said the
      reason the road is closed for two weeks is that cameras have been set up
      in the road to capture changes in the sky above San Jacinto. 'They are
      doing time lapse photography,' she said. 'We apologize if it's caused any
      inconvenience,' she said. 'It's not going to happen that often.'

      "Ayres believes it shouldn't happen at all. 'Maybe they picked a poor spot
      to build a studio,' he said. The closure has also revived a rumor that the
      road will be closed but Venable said that will not happen. 'I will
      guarantee that road will not be closed off,' he said. 'It is one of the
      major arteries in that Valley.' Venable said he has heard the rumors about
      closing the road and is aware that the Church of scientology would be
      happy if it were closed, and he has even discussed it with the church
      representatives, but that the only way that could happen is if the church
      builds a road to replace Gilman Springs."

      Jens Tingleff reported a protest at the Birmingham, England org on July
      26th.

      "Six of us had a very nice and productive afternoon out protesting in
      front of the body-routing grounds of the Birmingham, UK, shop of the
      criminal organisation known as the 'church' <spit> of $cientology. Dave,
      John, Hartley, Neil and myself started off somewhat apprehensive.
      Waiting for us was a police van with three friendly police-persons in it.
      They wanted us to be nice and would expect the clams to be nice. It also
      turned out that no clams came out to play, so we had a clear run to do our
      thing.

      "Dave had new balloons (larger, clear, single two-toned image) and a lot
      of balloon gas. I was basically busy for one and 3.4 hours handing out
      balloons and ended up giving away everything we brought - roughly 250
      balloons festooned with Xemu's friendly face and the message '$cientology
      Sucks!' We were joined later by a local parent and a friend of the parent,
      bringing our total number to a very healthy seven. The leafletters managed
      to pretty much give away all the five hundred leaflets we'd taken along."

      -end-