16A.r.s Week in Review - 2/6/2000

  • rkeller@voicenet.com
    Feb 6, 2000

      Free A.r.s Week in Review subscriptions are available, just email me at
      rkeller@.... Subscriptions are also available on ONElist. Email
      weekinreview-subscribe@onelist.com or see http://www.onelist.com
      Week in Review is archived at:

      > Lisa McPherson Trust

      Mark Bunker, filmmaker for the Lisa McPherson Trust, was attacked this
      week by a worker at the home of German Scientologist Gottfried Helnwein.

      "This morning Mark Bunker went with German film maker Peter Reichelt and
      Hans Michael Kassel, director of documentary film for the German TV
      station ARD, to Gottfried Helnwein's house on Palm Bluffs Road, about a
      mile and a half north of 33 N. Ft. Harrison. Gottfried is a Scientology
      artist in Germany who has apparently been denying he is a Scientologist,
      and Peter and Hans Michael were here gathering documentary footage to
      prove he is an active Scientologist.

      "As Mark was videotaping, a man ran out of Gottfried's house and assaulted
      Mark with a hammer. He hit Mark's camera twice but luckily did not hurt
      Mark, although Mark was extremely frightened and shaken when this man ran
      at him and struck him with a dangerous weapon. The man then went back into
      the front door of Gottfried's house, and soon after that two police
      officers arrived. Mark spoke to Officer Kelly, and told him that a man had
      just assaulted him with a hammer and asked the officer if he wanted to see
      it on videotape. He asked Mark if he had informed the man that he was
      audiotaping him. Then Officer Kelly told Mark that he was going to arrest
      him for audiotaping the hammer-wielding man without his knowledge!

      "[W]ithin a few minutes Sergeant John Zegzdryn arrived on the scene.
      Officer Kelly conferred with Sergeant Zedzdryn and then beckoned for Mark,
      Peter and Hans Michael to go across the street to talk to him. He told
      them that he could arrest them right then and there and that they better
      not go anywhere near the particular property again or he would arrest
      them. He then had the groundskeeper officially notify them that they were
      trespassing and that they were not wanted there. Then Officer Kelly
      released them and told them they were free to go. This was apparently all
      that was going to be done until Mark protested that nothing had been done
      about the man who had assaulted him with the hammer.

      Then Sergeant Zegzdryn approached Mark to see if he wanted to file a
      complaint about the man with the hammer. Mark said absolutely yes, he
      wanted the man arrested. But the police officers then told us that they
      were not going to arrest the man, that they were going to refer the matter
      to the state attorney's office. The man who assaulted Mark with the
      hammer is named Richard Bernard."

      From Tampa Bay television Fox 13 news.

      "Some out-of town journalists got more than they bargained for yesterday.
      A person who was working with the crew was attacked by a man wielding a

      "RICHARD BERNARD: What if I smash that [BLEEP] for you? I'll smash it!
      You'd better go, I called the cops.

      "It happened yesterday in a normally quiet Clearwater neighborhood. Two
      German film makers and one local cameraman said they were working on an
      investigative story on Gottfried Helnwein, an Austrian artist now
      reportedly living in the Bay area.

      "PETER REICHELT: He left Germany two years ago without saying where and,
      um, for the last month we looked for him and found him finally here, and
      wanted to ask him about his, um, relation to the top management of

      "Mark Bunker works for a local Scientology watchdog group.

      "RICHARD BERNARD: I'm on the public property, too. You wanna start some
      [BLEEP] with me? [shoves the camera]

      "MARK BUNKER: This was the first time that I'd met these film makers. They
      were in town to shoot this. They stopped by to say hello. They asked me to
      come along as back-up and I said, 'I'd be happy to.'

      "Clearwater police say the man involved in the altercation is Richard
      Bernard, and that he happened to be working at the house as an
      electrician. Clearwater police have now forwarded this case to the state
      attorney's office."

      From Peter Reichelt:

      "The Reporters Hans Michael Kassel and Peter Reichelt and their American
      cameraman Mark Bunker were attacked on the street by a man who suddenly,
      with a hammer in one hand and a knife-like implement in the other hand.
      Mark Bunker tried to evade the blows, but nevertheless was hit with the
      hammer several times. The chief of Scientology's secret service, Michael
      Rinder, who arrived at Clearwater shortly after the attack, expressed his
      regret about the attack in an interview with Mark Douglas on the US TV
      station NBC channel 8 this afternoon. He denied that the hammer wielder
      Bernard is a member of the Scientology organisation. According to the NBC
      reporter, Rinder conducted a lengthy talk with Helnwein in his house about
      this incident. Rinder also denied that Helnwein was a member of the
      Scientology management, but confirmed explicitly that Gottfried Helnwein
      was a long standing active member of the Scientology organisation and was
      currently staying in Clearwater for 'religious activities'.

      From Mittelbayrische Zeitung on February 4th:

      "[C]amera man Mark Bunker was hit twice during the incident and his camera
      was damaged. He himself was said to be unharmed. The report team was
      researching the Scientology background of the artist before the next
      Helnwein proceeding at the Frankfurt Superior State Court. The renowned
      painter had been described as a Scientologist by two associations critical
      of Scientology in 1994. In response Helnwein sued for a cease-and-desist
      order, but was overturned in the second set of hearings before Frankfurt
      Superior State Court. At the end of 1998, the Federal Constitutional Court
      repealed that judgment and referred the matter back to Frankfurt. That was
      supposed to have been tried anew on February 17."

      Bob Minton posted a list of Scientology course taken by the attacker,
      Richard Bernard.

      "L-11 Rundown Expansion (Source 59 [1987]: 22). Student Hat (Source 64
      [1988]: 22). Scientology Drug Rundown (Source 80 [1992]: 24). Route to
      Infinity (Freewinds, 1 [1989]: 24). Prosperity Rundown (Source 80 [1992]:
      24). L-12 Rundown (Source 59 [1987]: 22). Hubbard Solo Audit (Source 80
      [1992]: 24)."

      Fox 13 News aired a story on the Lisa McPherson trust this week, and the
      lined loading zone established by Clearwater officials.

      "Waterson Avenue in downtown Clearwater, a narrow roadway buses travel to
      deliver hundreds of Scientologists to a cafeteria. A couple of weeks ago,
      a pair of strange stripes slithered across Waterson and both its
      sidewalks, much to the chagrin of some people.

      "BOB MINTON: 'We're not here for a short term, we're here for a long term

      "That's Bob Minton, the man with the money to buy this building with plans
      to turn it into an anti-Scientology headquarters--big plans. Keeping the
      peace between Minton's group and the church is a headache cops saw coming
      weeks ago. The lines in the street are part of the solution, a way to keep
      some space between protesters and parishioners on their way to dinner. I
      wanted to know, 'What about the rest of us? Do we all have to toe this

      "POLICE OFFICER: 'We don't think, go down there and find out from the
      office--it's all confusing to me, too.'

      "Four patrolmen and a sergeant refused to answer that simple question,
      preferring headquarters handle the matter. Sergeant Wayne Shelor assures
      us nobody will be arrested for just crossing the line.

      "WAYNE SHELOR: Well, you'd have to--the circumstances would dictate what
      happens, but you may be going from crossing a line to obstruction of
      justice and that's a whole different animal.

      "The church blames Minton for this restriction, its spokesman saying there
      were no such points of daily confrontation before his arrival. Minton's
      folks claim they just want to express their opinions freely. But for now,
      nobody gets to do anything inside these lines except go to dinner."

      The St. Petersburg Times published a story on the Trust on February 6th.

      "Bob Minton's resonant voice sounds friendly, but the Scientologists don't
      return his greeting. Pumping a picket sign, Minton walks along narrow
      Waterson Avenue, a downtown side street where uniformed staffers from the
      Church of Scientology arrive by the hundreds for evening meals at two
      church dining halls. 'It's safe to look; it's safe to talk,' Minton
      shouts. 'When you have problems with Scientology, call us at 467-9335!
      Remember, that number could save your life! 467-9335. 'Have a great dinner
      tonight!' Minton also tells them: 'Hit your knives and forks on the table
      and demand reforms now!'

      "He urges the unthinkable: Oust David Miscavige, Scientology's worldwide
      leader. He spies a Scientology security guard across the street: 'I hope
      one day we can be friends with each other!' The guard is all business,
      reporting Minton's movements via cellular phone. Another Scientologist is
      just a few feet away videotaping Minton.

      "In a move that has pierced Scientology's comfort zone, Minton bought a
      building 30 feet from the church's stately property at 500 Cleveland St.,
      the former Bank of Clearwater Building. His in-your-face strategy comes
      across as extraordinarily bold to locals who have come to know Scientology
      as a church that does not turn the other cheek. To them, it is a bit like
      whacking a bee hive then waiting around to be swarmed.

      "But the added spectacle of Minton vs. the Scientologists couldn't come at
      a worse time for city officials who are courting out-of-town developers
      and dreaming of a new downtown waterfront, just two blocks west of
      Watterson. 'We're going to have to deal with the consequences of all
      this,' laments City Manager Mike Roberto. 'It is not a situation that
      brings a lot of value or assets to the community.'

      "'They're here to create a conflict,' complains Marty Rathbun, a top
      Scientology official who is based in Los Angeles but lately is tied up in
      Clearwater. He says the church is trying to ignore Minton, but adds: 'I
      worry about this guy because he's deranged.' No Scientologist is
      interested in his message, Rathbun says. 'Clearly, we're trying to elicit
      And the buttons we're pushing are ones the management of Scientology is
      very uncomfortable seeing pushed.'

      "In late January, Roberto, the city manager, paid a visit to Watterson
      Avenue, a one-way northbound street. His solution: change its direction to
      southbound so Scientology staffers could step from church buses and
      disappear behind the dining hall doors without seeing Minton A city worker
      was on a ladder with a wrench in hand, preparing to reverse the one-way
      sign, said Paul Bratsos, manager of Jimmy Hall's Steak House, which has an
      entrance off Watterson. When Roberto walked over to ask Bratsos if the
      change was okay with him, Bratsos said it would inconvenience longtime
      customers who drop off their parties at the door. At that point, Bratsos
      said, church officials who accompanied Roberto offered to pay for a
      carport for Jimmy Hall's. City officials offered to fashion a special
      parking zone on public property for restaurant customers, and even put
      several parking meters out of commission. When Bratsos declined, Roberto
      called off the impromptu street change. Bratsos was struck by the
      apparent ease with which the change was nearly accomplished. 'I wouldn't
      have had the power to get that done,' he says.

      "The new headquarters has five phone lines, a suite of offices with a
      conference room, equipment for editing videotapes, five computers to
      maintain Internet contact, two paper shredders and living quarters on the
      second floor. Just a short stroll down Watterson Avenue, Rathbun, the
      church official, is reviewing videotapes like a football coach on Monday
      morning. His jaw is clenched. He wears a look of frustration and disgust
      as he plays video taken by church security. One Minton follower, Grady
      Ward, is seen standing immediately outside the dining room door, saying,
      'No matter what they tell you, we don't bite.' Another, Patricia Greenway,
      yells across Watterson Avenue: 'Free telephone calls home!' Former
      Scientologist Jesse Prince, referring to Lisa McPherson's mysterious
      death, calls one church security guard a murderer.

      "Minton and his staff say they have been welcomed by residents and
      business people who have offered to help The night of Jan. 20, city
      commissioners listened stoically as Minton showed up at City Hall to
      publicly accuse Roberto and his staff of being 'too cozy' with the church,
      which has battled controversy since coming to Clearwater in 1975. He
      called it a 'dangerous coalition,' alleging City Hall had asked local
      landlords not to rent office space to the trust. Snubbed by leasing
      agents, Minton bought his new building at 33 N Fort Harrison Ave. on Jan.
      5 for $325,000 from local accountant Scott Brauer. When church officials
      tried to intercede with a $600,000 counteroffer, Brauer turned them down,
      saying he would honor his handshake deal with Minton. Brauer also took a
      call that night from Roberto, which he took as a subtle, if tardy, attempt
      to stop the sale. Roberto defends his call, saying he simply asked about
      the sale 'because I realized we were going to have to deal with the

      > Germany

      Gottfried Helnwein has decided to drop further court actions against
      statements made in the media that he is a Scientologist. From a press

      "On appeal by the accused, the judgment of the first specification was
      confirmed by Frankfurt Superior State Court, but the other three
      specifications were overturned and withdrawn. To Mr. Helnwein's
      Constitutional grievance which he filed against this de cision, the first
      Senate of the Federal Constitutional Court, with a decision on 10 Nov
      1998, case number: 1 8 VR 1531/98, overturned the decision of the
      Frankfurt Superior State Court based on transgression of basic rights and
      referred it back for a new hearing.

      "Since Mr. Helnwein has not lived in Germany since the end of 1997 and
      lives with his family and works alternately between Ireland, New York and
      Italy, the nearly 6 year old proceeding has since lost meaning and purpose
      for him. He is now dedicating himself exclusively to his artistic work and
      is preparing several international museum exhibits which require his
      entire concentration and work ability."

      Trierischer Volksfreund reported on January 31st that a meeting of
      Christian Democrat students conducted a discussion with Scientologists and
      the sect commissioner.

      "The Ring of Christian Democrat Students (RCDS) invited Barbara Lieser,
      presiding President of Scientology Church Frankfurt and Hans Neusius, sect
      commissioner of the Trier diocese to the podium of the Catholic Academy
      for a verbal duel. Energetic and with noticeable desire for a verbal
      frontal attack, Neusius put the professionalism of the Hubbard adherents
      in question at his latest meeting. Hardly had the moderator, Juergen von
      Wnuk-Lipinski, opened the discussion than Neusius charged in full speed
      ahead: 'Scientology is not a church nor a religion,' stated the
      weltanschauungs expert.

      "'For me, Scientology is a religion like many others,' Barbara Lieser did
      not match the excitement of her opponent. Her defensive, charming and
      stylish appearance did not generally seem to fit entirely in with the
      known scenario of the Hubbard community. 'The goal of our endeavors is
      the complete utilization of the spiritual potential of each individual,'
      the woman from Frankfurt summarized her philosophy.

      "The meeting was part of a three-day symposium of the RCDS, the Konrad
      Adenauer Foundation and the Department of New Media under the direction of
      Katharina Zey-Wortmann at the Catholic Academy on the theme of basic
      values, for which more than 40 students from across the Republic traveled
      to the Mosel."

      Freie Presse reported on February 1st that Zwickau's Chief Mayor has been
      supporting a Scientologist's construction plans.

      "Chief Mayor Rainer Eichhorn (CDU) and the embittered debate over
      Scientology - Zwickau's leading man has fallen under heavy pressure now
      that it has been revealed that he has been following the controversial
      construction projects by Scientology member Kurt Fliegerbauer with
      approval. The construction tycoon has renovated about 250 buildings so

      "Eichhorn publicly lied. He stated in writing January 7 in a press
      conference this year that there could be no discussion about a 'municipal
      tailwind' for operations by Fliegerbauer or his company. Yet it was no
      other than he himself who had courted the Scientologist, chummed up to
      him, and provided him with the necessary 'tailwind.' That is now evident
      from a previously unknown, confidential letter from the Chief Mayor to the
      construction businessman. 'What I am able and would like to communicate to
      you is that the city of Zwickau has good reason to be thankful for the
      commercial involvement of your Osterstein Castle Management, Inc.,'
      Eichhorn wrote on November 17, 1997 to Fliegerbauer.

      "When the Chief Mayor wrote the letter in November 1997, Kurt Fliegerbauer
      had not yet outed himself as a member of Scientology, although there were
      already many signs of that. While the city had stopped selling any more
      real estate to the businessman for some months by that time, the political
      parties were also maintaining a clear distance from him. Except for the
      leading city official, as it has just now turned out."

      > CCHR

      The Community News of Miami published an article on February 5th based on
      a new booklet from Scientology.

      "A new booklet urges parents to find out what is going on in their
      children's schools, and to reject forceful initiatives by school
      psychologists and psychiatrists to have children placed on heavy,
      mind-altering, psychiatric drugs. Harming Lives: Psychiatry--Betraying and
      Drugging Children for Profit was written by the Citizens Commission on
      Human Rights (CCHR) to help expose what it calls 'the lies and propaganda
      at work in the mental health field; lies which have turned schools into
      behavioral laboratories with millions of children the world over being
      drugged unnecessarily.'

      "While a public warning, the booklet also provides solutions. Eastgate
      pointed out that 'there are inexpensive, non-invasive and productive
      alternatives to the expensive, enforced and unworkable labeling, drugging
      and other 'solutions' of psychiatry. For example, it is a fact that
      undiagnosed, untreated physical conditions often manifest as 'psychiatric
      symptoms.' Adverse reactions to common prescription drugs also can create
      unwanted behavior. The Citizens Commission on Human Rights (CCHR) was
      established in 1969 by the Church of Scientology."

      > Eugene Ingram

      "Wogendas" reported that Eugene Ingram has been working in the Seattle
      area to investigate a staff member of the Lisa McPherson Trust.

      "Mr. Eugene M Ingram, former LA Police officer who was fired for running a
      house of prostitution and preventing the arrest of drug dealers, visited
      Kitsap County Washington this week. Mr. Ingram visited the home of a
      woman who was once the fiancee of David Cecere. She really thought Ingram
      was 'not a bad guy'. I am sure he was disappointed to learn that David and
      his ex are friends."

      > Prison

      The [Newark] Star-Ledger reported that a New Jersey prisoner has been
      transferred due to receiving items including Scientology materials
      improperly from a guard.

      "One of the former Glen Ridge High School athletes jailed for raping a
      mentally handicapped girl in 1989 was transferred from one prison to
      another after investigators found a female guard was improperly bringing
      him cards, gifts and Church of Scientology materials, according to records
      and sources familiar with the case. Senior Corrections Officer Ginger
      Happe, 31, was charged in June with improper or unauthorized contact with
      an inmate at the Mountainview Youth Correctional Facility in Annandale,
      according to records filed with the state Office of Administrative Law.

      "While the inmate is not identified in the documents, several sources
      close to the case identified him as Kevin Scherzer, 28, one of two men
      still imprisoned for the gang rape that drew national attention to the
      affluent Essex County suburb. The department alleges Happe gave the
      inmate letters and cards, tapes and books, sources said, as well as
      materials on Scientology, a religion based on the teachings of L. Ron
      Hubbard that boasts hundreds of thousands adherents worldwide.
      Corrections officers and other employees are prohibited by Department of
      Corrections rules from any contact or communication with inmates outside
      the line of duty."

      > Kirstie Alley

      The Guardian published an article on Scientology celebrity Kirstie Alley
      this week.

      "Latterly a prominent Scientologist - she's also the spokeswoman for
      Narconon, the Church's in-house rehab programme - Alley currently divides
      her time between lingerie-themed TV show Veronica's Closet and fighting
      the good fight for L Ron Hubbard: 'I don't like it when journalists
      mention the 'controversial Church of Scientology' in an article about me',
      she remarked in 1998. 'It's like me saying 'the controversial Jew who
      interviewed me'."

      > Lisa McPherson

      Bob Minton posted a description this week of Lisa McPherson's work at AMC
      Publishing, written by co-worker Brenda Hubert.

      "Lisa has been working on an ethics program for several weeks now. Her
      ethics terminal here at AMC has been Katie Chamberlain. Prior to us
      leaving for Orlando on Wednesday morning, Katie came to me and told me
      that Lisa was having some difficulty with her ethics cycle; that she was
      still mid-cycle on her O/W write-up and was frequently-dispersed and
      generally 'in the middle of it'. She wanted me to run tight 8C on Lisa at
      the trade show and product officer her to get the work done at the show.

      "In getting things together to get off on the road I noticed that Lisa was
      dispersed. She couldn't get her things together in an A to B way; I had to
      help her to make certain she had everything and that it was put in the
      car, She had a list of references that Katie wanted her to read and she
      was taking LRH books and dictionaries and tapes.

      "When we got to the convention she got even more frantic in her actions.
      She had forgotten several personal items and she tore apart her luggage
      looking for them and had her things strewn all over the room in total
      disarray. She got irrationally upset that she didn't have these items and
      it took me getting in her face and literally yelling at her to knock it
      off to subdue her behavior. That didn't last long, within a few minutes
      she was back at frantic again. I took her to get something else to eat and
      while we were in the restaurant she suddenly turned around and called out
      to one of the people working in the restaurant to come over to the table.
      She then proceeded to tell this restaurant employee that they HAD to read
      the Dianetics book and they had to do it NOW. I took her back to the room
      and tried to get her to lay down and rest for a whale, but she could not
      stay in any one spot for more than 30 seconds.

      "At about 11 p.m. I woke up to find her going through her luggage
      frantically and mumbling to herself. Some time later (about 2 a.m.) she
      was still up. I made her go to bed and stayed awake until I thought she
      was asleep. At about 4:30 she was up again rambling around; she finally
      went into the bathroom and was quiet. When I woke up at 7 a.m. I found her
      still in the bathroom reading LRH. She looked like hell.

      "I woke up with a start and found her on top of me in my bed holding me
      down by the arms. She was right in my face and she was sobbing
      hysterically and telling me that I had to get up right then and get
      dressed; that there was something going on on this planet that I didn't
      know about and that we were in terrible danger; that I HAD TO HELP HER
      before it was all too late. Finally I got her back in bed and she fell
      asleep and slept until about 7:30 a.m. She was even more spaced on Friday.
      She walked to a girl that was at the convention and got right in her face
      and started in with her interrogation mock-up. She told this girl that she
      knew who she was and that she had to get her hat on. The girl had no idea
      what the hell she was talking about.

      "Brian, Craig and I decided that I had to bring her home on Friday as she
      was getting worse and worse, I got her things packed up and loaded us up
      and started home. She was totally bizarre in the car on the way home. She
      kept talking to me - just rambling and asking me what she had said. She
      told me that she wanted me to know that earlier in the spring when she
      flipped out that what had occurred was that when she went clear she
      withheld it and didn't want anyone to know. That she withheld it very very
      hard for a long time and that it crashed. She said she realized that being
      clear was something to share with others -- that it wasn't just for her
      and that from the auditing and handlings she got she came to see that and
      when that happened she was okay again. This was said very directly and
      very matter-of-factly. I just acknowledged her. I love Lisa and want to
      see this get handled. Please do everything you can for her."

      The St. Petersburg Times reported that the challenge to the Lisa McPherson
      estate in probate court has been denied.

      "The Church of Scientology said it was being sued by people who had gone
      too far. It asked a Pinellas probate judge to remove the aunt as head of
      McPherson's estate, which brought the death suit. It said the aunt engaged
      in fraud, and it urged the judge to replace her with someone with no ill
      will toward Scientology. But Pinellas-Pasco Circuit Judge George W. Greer
      rejected those arguments Thursday, ruling that Scientology has no legal
      interest in the estate of Lisa McPherson, the Scientologist who died in
      1995 while under the care of church staffers in from Clearwater.

      "Under state law, only an 'interested person' has standing to contest the
      administration of a probate case. The law defines such a person as anyone
      who 'may reasonably expect to be affected by the outcome of the particular
      proceeding involved.' The church said it was affected because Liebreich,
      as head of the estate, had filed a wrongful death suit against Scientology
      and improperly delegated that suit to Robert S. Minton, a New England

      "Church officials insist that neither Lisa McPherson nor her mother would
      have wanted her estate to be used against Scientology. They allege that a
      signature on one of the estate documents was made by someone other than
      Fannie McPherson. Tampa lawyer Ken Dandar, who represents the estate, said
      of Greer's ruling: 'It shows that the actions of Scientology are so
      desperate because of the overwhelming evidence of their causing the death
      of Lisa McPherson.' Mike Rinder, a top Scientology official, said the
      church now will pin its hopes on the state attorney's office, which has
      been asked by the church to consider a felony charge of fraud against

      From the Tampa Tribune on February 4th:

      "Greer did not take up the issue of whether documents in the estate case
      were forged. That allegation became moot once he decided that Scientology
      had no right to challenge the legitimacy of the estate's court-approved
      representative. In the case ruled on Thursday, Greer was asked to remove
      Liebreich as representative of the estate. Had he done so, the estate's
      lawsuit in Hillsborough Circuit Court might have been jeopardized. Even if
      Liebreich did forge Fannie McPherson's signature, as the church contended,
      her brother and sisters are happy with her representation of the estate,
      Dandar said. 'The only ones who can complain about it are the brother and
      sisters of Dell Liebreich, and they all love Dell Liebreich,' Dandar

      A filing in the Lisa McPherson civil case was posted this week, in which
      Lisa's estate responds to the claim that Scientology is a religion, and
      that the Introspection Rundown is a religious practice.

      "Any group can call itself a religion. Only the sincerely held religious
      beliefs of a bona fide religion are protected by the constitution and
      statutes. Was Flag operating as a religious organization or a hotel when
      it practiced medicine without a license, falsely imprisoned, abandoned,
      and killed Lisa McPherson in its hotel for the last 18 days of her life?
      Since no religion can escape liability for these tortious actions, then
      why address the issue of religiosity? The following memorandum will
      demonstrate that Scientology is not a religion. If it is, then not all of
      Scientology technology can be claimed as being religious. In fact most of
      its technology, such as the Introspection Rundown and Isolation are
      secular in Hubbard's own words, involving no treatment at all.
      Therefore, Scientology should not be blessed with an all encompassing
      blanket of religiosity.

      "Scientology's claim of religion is pretextual. It is a religion of
      convenience. It changes from a secular to a religious status depending
      upon the legal or societal or business circumstances it finds itself in
      and how it can exploit those circumstances to its benefit. In essence,
      Scientology is a fraud, a false religion. Unlike any other true religion,
      Scientology did not redefine itself as a religion in order to address
      mankind's ultimate concerns in the universe. It puts on its religion hat
      only when it serves its purpose to be protected by the Religion Clauses
      and Florida's RFRA.

      "'Scientology 1970 is being planned on a religious organization basis
      throughout the world. This will not upset in any way the usual activities
      of any organization. It is entirely a matter for accountants and
      solicitors. HCO POLICY LETTER OF 29 OCTOBER 1962, RELIGION (Furnish a copy
      of this to all attorneys dealing with our interests for us)'. 'In spite of
      the fact that data did indicate religion to be an incorrect approach, the
      Mission went ahead incorporating Scientology as a Church in Tokyo. Do we
      go religious or Dianetics (into Japan).' SEA ORGANIZATION AIDES ORDER
      549-1, 29 January 1981. 'To take over absolutely the field of mental
      healing on this planet in all forms. This was not the original purpose.
      The original purpose was to clear Earth.' To the Guardian W W 2 Dec 69,

      "The correct approach in determining the status of Scientology and Flag is
      contained in the learned decision of United States v. Article or Device
      'Hubbard Electrometer', 333 F. Supp. 357, 361 (USDC., 1971). There the
      court describes the history of Scientology where it sold courses and even
      its claimed religious E-meters to members of the general public. The court
      ruled that Scientology had a secular and religious auditing processes. It
      noted that a few of Hubbard's writings are primarily religious in nature
      but most of his writings contain medical or scientific claims written in a
      'partially religious context.' The court noted that the Hubbard Guidance
      Center offers nonreligious processing in auditing to the public for a fee.
      The court concluded that '[V]iewed as a whole the thrust of the writings
      is secular, not religious.'

      "The Plaintiff's position is that defendants engaged in premeditated and
      barbaric criminal and civil misconduct without justification or excuse.
      Plaintiff's position is that Scientology is a business whose primary
      aspiration in the accumulation of dollars. Plaintiff's position is that
      for Lisa McPherson to have attained the state of Clear and then gone
      'psychotic' by walking naked on a public street in Clearwater, the 'Mecca
      of Scientology religion,' in a desperate attempt to get 'help' presented
      the potential for a public relations catastrophe. This catastrophe would
      be compounded if competent mental health professionals assisted Lisa and
      found that Scientology auditing contributed to her mental illness and
      public acting out. Moreover, Lisa's committed a 'high crime' against
      Scientology by publicly departing it and bringing it into disrepute
      because her behavior could hold Scientology up to public exposure and
      ridicule. This caused Scientology to condemn her as a 'suppressive
      person,' 'psychotic' and 'trouble source.' Therefore, in the total absence
      of her capacity to consent, Scientology arrogated to itself dominion and
      control over the body and person of Lisa McPherson as an exercise of
      business imperative. They locked her up, dehydrated her and killed her in
      an effort to eliminate a public relations 'flap.' Scientology was
      constrained to kill Lisa McPherson in the name of 'helping' her adhere to
      the dictates of her religion.

      "In the attached affidavit of Peter Alexander, he describes the lack of
      any semblance to religious practices and complete denial by staff that
      Scientology is a religion. In fact, the staff informed him that religion
      was just an 'angle' for the IRS, reflecting Hubbard's reason to call
      Scientology a religion. Mr. Alexander, a celebrity in Scientology, reached
      the high level of OT7 and only recently left Scientology. In 20 years, no
      one in Scientology viewed it seriously as a religion. He calls it
      pseudo-psycho-therapy. Karsten Lorenzen, who recently left Scientology
      after being ordered to watch a Danish woman on an Isolation watch, who,
      like Lisa McPherson was in Isolation at FLAG five months after Lisa died
      and barely made it out alive from FLAG, testified that Scientology is not
      a religion but a philosophy. He goes on to say that Denmark does not
      recognize Scientology as a religion.

      "Gerald Armstrong, who handled the personal communications for Hubbard
      himself, and Scientology's archivist, testified that Scientology was never
      presented as a religion. Marjory Wakefield, a former Scientologist,
      testified that in 1977-78 an order came out for everyone to take the
      Minister's course which qualified the person to perform ceremonies in
      Scientology. For example, baptism in Scientology is merely introducing the
      infant to the parents and say that you hope that he/she will make a good
      scientologist. However, she does not know if any baptisms were ever done.
      In fact, she recalls that when reporters were coming to the scientology
      headquarters, they were all ordered 'to dress up the next day and that we
      were going to have a mock church service.'

      "This court should not succumb to the dictates of Scientology. Advisory
      opinions are not permissible. Religiosity is not an issue, since Lisa
      McPherson was not involved in any claimed religious treatment. In fact,
      she was not involved in any treatment at all. She was merely a hotel
      guest! The court can assume the religiosity of Scientology as it has done
      in the past in considering the unsuccessful motions to dismiss of the
      defendants, since the defendants cannot escape liability under the
      Religion Clauses nor RFRA for murder, false imprisonment, or outrageous
      conduct. Per the previously discussed voluminous case law on Scientology,
      it is not a claimed religion worthy of constitutional protection."

      > Santa Monica Mission

      Tilman Hausherr reported that the Santa Monica Scientology mission has

      "I have learned that the Santa Monica/Westwood franchise on the Santa
      Monica Blvd. has closed. It was just an office on the 2nd floor anyway."

      > What Is Scientology

      Catarina Pamnell reported on the What is Scientology exhibit in Stockholm.

      "It's held at Berns Salonger, a posh restaurant/show place in central
      Stockholm. [There are] lots of books, promotional leaflets, etc., as if
      they had moved their shop into a conference hall. [I] ran into an old CoS
      acquaintance from an earlier picket. He acted friendly and civilly. They
      had probably been given instructions to stay cool. I found out that the
      Jive Aces will be playing Saturday."

      > Switzerland

      Neue Zuercher Zeitung reported on February 3rd that a Scientology
      businessman has been sentenced in a fraud scheme in Zurich.

      "Zurich district court has sentenced a 55-year-old businessman, who
      juggled business investments around on American banks which existed only
      on paper, to 2 years and 9 months imprisonment. The sum defrauded,
      according to the judgment, was 15 million franks. The district attorney
      had asked for 4 1/2 years in prison. The accused offered private
      customers investments yielding dividends far above market from an
      organization incorporated in Zurich under the name 'American Federal
      Banking Association'. Most of the invested money was forwarded to the head
      of the firm, the German finance manager in Munich (some of which he
      personally delivered in cash); the other part of the financing was used to
      cover commissions in the Zurich office.

      "The motive for the crime, according to the judgment, was the 'extremely
      stressful situation' the accused was experiencing after he had a terrible
      business failure and himself was the victim of fraud; he had also expended
      much capital to gain the higher ranks of the Scientologists. In reducing
      the sentence asked, the court took into account that he had taken part in
      the external findings of fact in the investigation. The information
      technician who was also charged, who had gotten to know the accused as a
      Scientologist, could not convince the court that, as the person
      responsible for the EDP system of BAB, he had not noticed he was
      processing manipulated investments; he received six months suspended
      conditionally for two years."

      > Lawrence Wollersheim

      A filing in California court and three affidavits were posted to a.r.s
      this week in the case of Lawrence Wollersheim, trying to get paid for a
      judgment against the Church of Scientology of California, which was
      disbanded to prevent paying the judgment.

      "Respondents spend much paper on largely incompetent, self-serving and/or
      demonstrably false declarations, in an absurd effort to make themselves
      seem the victims of Mr. Wollersheim. This, despite the fact that both CSI
      and RTC have verifiably spent over a decade, and untold millions of
      dollars, devising and executing novel ways of keeping Mr. Wollersheim tied
      up in the courts. They did this while the present case was in its
      pre-trial phase, and they have done it without pause ever since. Quite
      obviously, there is only one reason why: to avenge Mr. Wollersheim's
      lawsuit against CSC. Just as before, CSI's opposition actually adds to the
      mass of evidence supporting plaintiff's alter ego claim. The most blatant
      example of this regards Attorney William Drescher, who now represents CSI
      in opposition to the renewed motion but has previously represented CSC in
      this same case. Mr. Drescher represented CSC's President Levin at his
      1995 deposition, held in connection with Mr. Wollersheim's collection
      effort. Seven months earlier, in October 1994, Mr. Drescher had also
      argued -- unsuccessfully -- on CSC's behalf that there was no existing

      "CSI's effort to defeat Mr. Wollersheim's motion rests mainly on the
      declaration of CSC's president, Neil Levin. In it, Levin boldly swears
      '[n]o employee, officer or director of RTC or CSI participated in
      formulating trial strategy or defense tactics in this matter.' Given Mr.
      Levin's seeming certainty in this regard, it should be inconceivable that
      CSI's president, Heber Jentzsch, would have been videotaped in the wake of
      the trial, mocking the jury and its $30 million verdict against CSC, in
      front of an audience of Scientologists -- and disclosing details of the
      post-trial strategy. Yet, that is precisely what happened, as Mr.
      Wollersheim's new, irrefutable video evidence shows.

      "In the videotape, Jentzsch implicitly acknowledges having been present at
      the trial ('we could hear your shouts of 'Religious Freedom Now' through
      the walls on the fourteenth floor!'). And, there can be no mistake about
      what CSI's Jentzsch means when he talks of injustice committed against
      'us' -- or about the follow-up measures undertaken by 'our legal people.'
      Moreover, despite doggedly insisting it was uninvolved in financing CSC's
      defense, CSI fails to even address -- much less rebut -- evidence showing
      that funds for Scientology litigation, including CSC's, came from a
      'central reserve system' run by CSI staff members. Indeed, CSI cannot
      rebut this evidence, because it was taken directly from its own petition
      for tax-exempt status submitted to the IRS.

      "Having solidly demonstrated CSI's status as CSC's alter ego in this case,
      Plaintiff Wollersheim respectfully submits that his motion to amend the
      judgment must, in equity, be granted."

      "I, Jesse Prince declare as follows:

      "From the very beginning, through indoctrination from these courses, I
      learned that the Sea Org managed all Scientology Organizations and related
      entities such as Scientology Missions International (SMI), World Institute
      of Scientology Enterprise (WISE) and Narconon, to name a few.

      "Until his death in 1986, L. Ron Hubbard was the unchallenged dictator of
      the entire Scientology enterprise. L. Ron Hubbard designated himself
      'Commodore'. In the hierarchy of the Sea Org, 'Commodore' is the highest
      rank. Next in authority in the Sea Org hierarchy are the 'Commodore's
      Messengers.' L. Ron Hubbard authored Flag Order 3729, also known as
      Executive Directive 106 Commodore's Messenger Organization (CMO), entitled
      'Commodore's Messengers.' He designated his 'messengers' as emissaries of
      himself. There is a hierarchy within the Commodore's Messengers
      Organization. The top messenger, also known as the 'Commanding Officer,'
      commands and orders all other messengers within the organization of
      messengers. The top Commodore's Messenger in Scientology is David
      Miscavige. There are also subordinate 'In Charge' positions within the
      messenger organization.

      "There is also a hierarchy among the different messenger organizations.
      The most senior messenger organization in all of the different messenger
      organizations is 'The Religious Technology Center' (RTC). The next command
      level below RTC is called 'The International Watchdog Committee.' The
      Watchdog Committee was created with the purpose of overseeing the
      activities of the Guardian's Office and Scientology management bodies in
      order to 'keep Scientology working.' It is a senior management committee
      that manages all sectors of Scientology, i.e., all Sea Organizations, all
      Scientology Organizations International, and related Scientology entities
      such as Scientology Missions International (SMI), and World Institute of
      Scientology Enterprise, International (WISE). The next level of
      hierarchical authority within the messenger organizations and Scientology
      Enterprise is the 'Commodore's Messengers Organization International'
      (COMINT). This body executes the orders and commands of the Watchdog
      Committee, and manages and supervises the many other Commodore's Messenger
      Organizations within the United States and abroad. Next in the chain of
      hierarchy is the Office of the Executive Director International (EDINT).

      "Until the reorganization of 1982, in which RTC was formed, it had been
      CSC that registered the trademarks for Scientology. RTC was specifically
      created to take over that function from CSC. As far as I know, ASI took
      over the function of overseeing the copyrights."

      "During my tenure with RTC, I have been privy to the destruction and
      alteration of documents to protect the group. For example, on or about
      April of 1983 I was present at a meeting, which took place in Los Angeles,
      California at a Scientology office called Author Services, Inc.. ASI
      presented itself as the 'literary agency' for Scientology founder L. Ron
      Hubbard. In reality it was actually where the Scientology empire was being
      run from at that time. All of Scientology was being directed from ASI in
      1983. Present at this particular meeting was David Miscavige, then acting
      under the title of chairman of the board of ASI, Vicki Aznaran then the
      Deputy Inspector General of Religious Technology Center, and Lymon
      Spurlock, who was 'Director of Client Affairs' for ASI. Mr. Miscavige
      expressed concern at this meeting that there might possibly be a raid on
      Scientology by the IRS. At that time, none of the churches of Scientology
      had received tax exempt status.

      "David Miscavige specifically stated that ASI was 'already dealing with
      the problem', ridding ASI of any documents that would implicate L. Ron
      Hubbard as managing agent of Scientology. He stated that under his
      directive the LRH orders, or 'advices', were being collected and
      transferred by truck to a Riverside County recycling plant where the
      documents were to be 'pulped'. I was also given instructions that I was in
      charge of purging the remainder of the Scientology organization of LRH
      orders. This was to include Church of Scientology of California; Church of
      Scientology International; and RTC.

      "During the time I was on the Board of Directors of RTC, (1983 to 1987) I
      attended numerous legal strategy sessions that dealt with this case
      Wollersheim v. Church of Scientology case. Most of these legal strategy
      sessions took place in the boardroom at Author's Services, Inc. The
      general legal strategy of Scientology both before and after the
      Wollersheim judgment was rendered against the Church of Scientology of
      California was to make the case so complex and expensive that it would go
      on forever and Mr. Wollersheim would never be able to collect 'One Thin

      "It is incumbent on this and every court, as well as the authorities, to
      realize the amount of deception, chicanery, lying, manipulation and
      outright criminality that Scientology will employ to hide the truth about
      their criminal activities. They will spend any amount of money to do this.
      I know because I was part of it for years. I received orders to break the
      law, and then I helped to hide these criminal activities just as they are
      hiding them now. Scientology developed a daunting corporate structure.
      This structure was designed to confuse those outside of the organization.
      In reality, corporate names and boundaries were meaningless. Control was
      centralized in one person. During his lifetime until his death in 1986
      that person was L. Ron Hubbard. After his death, all control of
      Scientology vested and remains in David Miscavige. The one thing that all
      of us had in common is that we were all members of the Sea Organization.
      The Sea Organization, or 'Sea Org' is a paramilitary type organization
      that virtually governs all of Scientology under guidance of David

      "A huge part of Scientology's legal strategy in the Wollersheim case was
      to hide the fact that RTC and CSI were intimately involved in the
      day-by-day direction of CSC's defense and to make the case so complex,
      obtuse and expensive that no one would conceivably be able to get past all
      the phony legal issues that Scientology was raising to peal away the
      corporate layers and actually collect on the judgment. If this case is
      dismissed on the basis of laches, this cynical strategy will indeed have
      defeated both Mr. Wollersheim and the entire non-Scientology legal

      "I, Robert Vaughn Young declare as follows:

      "Scientology is seeking to deceive this court regarding two primary
      targets: that the Sea Organization is a loose-knit 'fraternal
      organization' with no role in management; and that David Miscavige has no
      role or position as it relates to the management of Scientology or control
      over this case. The Sea Organization is the nexus that permeates all
      Scientology 'orgs' and violates all Scientology corporate structures and
      David Miscavige has controlled it since 1982.

      "One of the first sleights of hand that Scientology tries to effect on the
      courts is equating 'Scientology' with 'The Church of Scientology.'
      'Scientology' includes Churches of Scientology but it also includes
      non-church organizations. 'The Command Channels of Scientology' is a
      booklet that was issued to all Scientologists. First, the court should
      first note that this does not say 'Command Channels of the Church of
      Scientology'. In their own perspective, 'Scientology' is more than the
      'church.' Second, this describes the COMMAND CHANNELS. According to the
      Scientology dictionary (and a Hubbard policy letter), 'command channels'
      has a specific definition: 'COMMAND CHANNEL, 1. (communications routing)
      command channels go up through seniors over to a senior and down to a
      junior. Or they go up through all seniors. It is used upward for unusual
      permission or authorizations or information or important actions or
      compliance. Downward it is used for orders. 2. Junior to senior to
      senior's senior or on down.' This definition shows there are senior
      echelons and junior echelons and they operate in a military manner. The
      senior echelon issues orders and the junior echelon must comply. The Sea
      Organization is central to this structure. They have their own command and
      compliance channels and they have tried to hide these facts from this

      "An attempt is being made by Plaintiff to cast the Sea Organization as a
      harmless, loose-knit fraternal organization on the order of the Elks or
      Shriners with no authority or control of Scientology. This is a lie and is
      proved by Scientology's own documents. Calling it a 'fraternal order' was
      something that came about later to hide its actual function from the
      courts and the authorities. Scientology's own documents show that the Sea
      Org is a tough, elite, tight-knit organization that has the authority to
      move into and take over any organization on the 'Command Chart of
      Scientology,' regardless of corporate lines.

      "Defendant and other Scientology officials have sought to lower the
      profile of the Sea Organization and hide its role. For example, when
      applying for their tax exemption from the Internal Revenue Service
      ('IRS'), the Church of Scientology International was asked to explain the
      Sea Org and it replied: 'The Sea Organization is a religious order
      consisting solely of members who have pledged themselves to one billion
      years of service to Scientology. The Sea Organization is not incorporated,
      nor is it an unincorporated association, and it has no formal or informal
      ecclesiastical or other management structure. Despite its name, the Sea
      Organization is not an 'organization' or an 'entity.' It has no income,
      disbursements, assets or liabilities.' It has been shown by their own
      documents that this is a complete lie: the Sea Org is an actual
      organization that not only manages organizations but has 'unlimited
      powers' to take over any organization."

      > Refund Contract

      A contract prepared by the Canberra, Australia org was posted to a.r.s
      this week. It calls for restrictions on a former member who requested a
      refund. The former member did not sign the document.

      "Pertti Muhli hereby acknowledges receipt of the sum of FIVE THOUSAND TWO
      HUNDRED AND SIXTY SEVEN DOLLARS by way of repayment of the balance of
      unused donations paid to the Church of Scientology Inc.

      "Pertti Muhli agrees to keep confidential and not disclose any knowledge,
      information or material acquired by him directly or indirectly concerning
      the Church or any of its associates and without limiting the foregoing
      shall not directly or indirectly publish or assist another to publish any
      such knowledge, information or material whether in the form of books,
      magazines, periodicals, newspapers, articles, or other literature or in
      the form of film, video, audio tape, television or in any other form of
      media or in any computer medium, computer files, or on the Internet.

      "Pertti Muhli retracts the articles authored by him entitled 'I publicly
      depart Scientology' dated 10 July 1999, and 'Ex-member speaks out about
      the Canberra org in Australia' dated 15 July 1999 and undertakes to inform
      all persons to whom he has circulated the articles of his retraction.

      "Pertti Muhli agrees that he will not voluntarily assist or cooperate with
      any person, association or corporation adverse to the religion of
      Scientology in any proceeding against the Church or any of its associates
      including but not limited to any person, association, or corporation
      contemplating any claim or engaged in litigation adverse to the Church or
      its associates. Pertti Muhli also agrees that he will not cooperate in any
      manner with any organisation aligned against Scientology or the Church or
      its associates. Pertti Muhli agrees that he will not use any of the money
      received pursuant to this agreement to fund, either directly or
      indirectly, attacks on the Scientology or the Church or any of its
      associates. Pertti Muhli agrees not to testify or otherwise participate in
      any judicial, administrative or legislative proceedings adverse to
      Scientology or the Church or any of its associates unless compelled to do
      so by lawful process. Unless required to do so by statutory lawful
      process, Pertti Muhli agrees not to discuss his experiences or knowledge
      or information derived directly or indirectly concerning the Church of
      Scientology Inc. or its associates."