Nov. 17 Weg SIG meeting

  • wkiraly@cohenkiraly.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 7, 2001
      For November, we're going to tap into the expertise of everyone
      including several past and future speaker to rip a site apart and
      find out why its not doing what it is supposed to do and try to
      figure out what can be done to make it better. Both Jeremy Straub and
      Mariamne Ingalls have said they will join us, several other experts
      are also probables besides the general keen expertise of the group as
      a whole.

      We will be taking my own site, http://www.cohenkiraly.com, as the
      real world example. It is a site which I think has decent content but
      which is not getting the traffic it should. And when people get
      there, the statistics indicate they are not finding what they want.
      The several interactive parts of the site, the guestbook, the
      science/creationism forum and the book review sections get very
      little input from visitors.

      I think taking apart a real-world example will be a very instructive
      experiment and it should prove interesting to see where our experts
      and members agree and where they do not.

      Feel free to go to the site and pick it apart. I have a very tough
      skin and am very aware that much on this site doesn't work as it is
      supposed to so don't hold back. Within a day or two, I should have a
      link in the Web SIG section (http://www.cohenkiraly.com/websig.htm)
      which will show this site's statistics for the last year as tabulated
      by Web Funnel and I should also be able soon to include a page
      indicating what registration I have done over the last several months
      to help people analyze what may be going on.

      As usual, the meeting will be at Barudan America at 10:30 a.m. A map
      and driving directions can be found at
      http://www.cohenkiraly.com/websig.htm.

      RSVP requested but not required. The meeting is free and everyone is
      welcome and bring friends if you can. Bagels and coffee will be
      available. Look forward to seeing you there.

      There will be no meeting in December. Am open to ideas for January
      topics.