Re: [websandiego] Mac IE 5 Question

  • Catayoon Zamiri
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 30 4:39 PM
      Dmitry,

      I fixed the errors that were occuring in the style
      sheet. Hopefully that fixed the problem. I am on a PC
      at work...but I will test it out on my mac when I get
      home :)

      Thanks,
      Cat

      --- Dmitry Beransky <db01@...> wrote:
      > Cat, you stylesheets have syntax errors
      > (http://www.style-sheets.com/validator.asp). Try
      > fixing them first.
      >

      > Dmitry
      >
      > At 03:43 PM 4/30/2004, you wrote:
      > >Hi Everyone,
      > >
      > >Hope that you are all having a great Friday.
      > >
      > >I am currently working on a website,
      > >http://www.dessertier.com/, for some reason
      > everytime
      > >I click on "Wedding Cakes" my browser crashes (this
      > is
      > >only in IE for Mac other browsers are fine). I was
      > >hoping that someone would be able to help me figure
      > >out why this occurs. Any help would be greatly
      > >appreciated.

    • Patrick Smith
      Message 2 of 20 , May 1, 2004
        Robin Mueller wrote:
        > Wondering if anyone out there has a current favorite tool for
        > giving a
        > client in-browser editing capability. They're not looking for a full
        > blown CMS, just the ability to edit some text and add a
        > graphic or two
        > using their browsers.

        Hi Robin,

        We're using HTMLArea for our clients right now.

        http://www.interactivetools.com/products/htmlarea/

        The HTML that it produces is certainly not pretty (embedded font tags
        and other nastiness), so we're in the process of investigating
        htmlEditBox, which includes stylesheet integration and a better editing
        interface.

        http://www.labs4.com/htmleditbox/2.0/index.php

        cheers,
        P.
      • Andy Mansker
        Message 3 of 20 , May 1, 2004
          I recently downloaded the demo for Contribute ($150) for the first time.
          Installed, setup and edited a page in under 15 minutes. It is a no-brainer
          than any client can quickly learn for simple text edits. It offers more
          complex functions like added images, tables and hyperlinks. In my experience
          one of the biggest struggles clients have is the idea of "ftp." It is built
          into this app and works quietly in the background.

          http://www.macromedia.com/support/contribute/

          Andy

        • David Crellen
          Message 4 of 20 , May 1, 2004
            I use a Java-based applet that works on a Textarea in a form. It has a
            lot of optional whistles and bells with look and feel of MS Word.
            Compatible with Win and Mac clients. Product is called EditLive for
            Java.

            Here is the company web site: http://ephox.com/

            --David Crellen

            >> Hello Everyone,
            >>
            >> Wondering if anyone out there has a current favorite tool for
            >> giving a client in-browser editing capability. They're not
            >> looking for a full blown CMS, just the ability to edit some
            >> text and add a graphic or two using their browsers.
            >>
            >> If anyone has any favorites, or any caveats about this
            >> approach I'd appreciate the help.
            >>
            >> Thanks!
            >>
            >> Robin

            Best regards,
            David Crellen

            The Crellen Company
            Internet Marketing Communications, Internet Development and Management

            4356 Vivaracho Court
            San Diego, CA 92124-2225

            Voice: (858) 694-0194
            Fax: (707) 248-2135
            email: david@...
            Web Site: http://crellen.com

            "Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein

            PS: I use SpamArrest email filtering. If you are not already in my
            authorized list and I don't catch your reply in time, you will be asked
            to verify your mailing. Sorry for this inconvenience but it works.

            Here is more info and a 30-day free trial of SpamArrest:
            http://spamarrest.com/affl?381010
          • Krassy
            Message 5 of 20 , May 1, 2004
              > Hello Everyone,
              > Wondering if anyone out there has a current
              > favorite tool forgiving a client in-browser
              > editing capability.

              Preferred one (cross-browser):
              http://www.kevinroth.com/rte/demo.htm

              Other ones:
              http://www.cfdev.com/activedit/demo/edit.cfm
              http://kupu.oscom.org/

              More:
              http://www.dmoz.org/Computers/Software/Internet/Authoring/HTML/WYSIWYG_Editors/

              My 4 cents...good luck!
              Krassy

              =====
              Krassy Lyakov
              <web.developer>

              web: http://www.krassy.com/
              blog: http://www.krassycandoit.com/blah/

            • David Foltz
              Message 6 of 20 , May 1, 2004
                Robin Mueller wrote:

                > Wondering if anyone out there has a current favorite tool for
                > giving a client in-browser editing capability. They're not looking
                > for a full blown CMS, just the ability to edit some text and add a
                > graphic or two using their browsers. If anyone has any favorites,
                > or any caveats about this approach

                I first started with ActivEdit http://www.cfdev.com/activedit/ and
                liked it at first and then grew to dislike it. Pain to set up,
                broken installer, terrible manual install instructions. Spell
                checker is too precious about licensing. That said, I know there's a
                version 4 out. But I've already moved over to SOEditor
                http://www.siteobjects.com It's a good one and provides better
                image uploading and previewing tools than AE3 ever did.

                There are a lot of free options out there too. And most of the
                commercial in-browser editors have been written on the backs of the
                free projects. So they're worth checking out.

                One common theme is lousy or complete lack of support for XHTML
                compliant code.

                The most comprehensive list of in-browser WYSIWYG editors I have
                found is:

                TTW (Through the Web) WYSIWYG Editors
                http://www.bris.ac.uk/is/projects/cms/ttw/ttw.html

                It has a useful table of vital stats on each offering. Thorough.

                David
              • Patrick Smith
                Message 7 of 20 , May 2, 2004
                  David Foltz wrote:

                  > TTW (Through the Web) WYSIWYG Editors
                  > http://www.bris.ac.uk/is/projects/cms/ttw/ttw.html

                  David,

                  That's a great link. Thanks!

                  cheers,
                  P.
                • Al Abut
                  Message 8 of 20 , May 6, 2004
                    > David Foltz wrote:
                    >
                    > > TTW (Through the Web) WYSIWYG Editors
                    > > http://www.bris.ac.uk/is/projects/cms/ttw/ttw.html

                    Okay, maybe I'm not seeing it but XFactor isn't listed:
                    http://webstandards.org/buzz/archive/2004_05.html#a000334

                    Maybe it's too new to be on their radar? Dunno...

                    Also, on a related note: you can't get much better at in-browser CSS development that
                    Firefox, that browser rocks. Mozilla comes with something similar for visualizing the DOM,
                    but it doesn't let you edit and save it AFAIK like Firefox does.

                    Al Abut
                    - - -
                    http://alabut.com
                    - - -
                  • steven
                    Message 9 of 20 , May 6, 2004
                      Sorry, but what is firefox? I have seen information on the list about
                      it, but not sure what it is. Is it open source??

                      Message 10 of 20 , May 6, 2004
                        --- steven <spierce@...> wrote:
                        > Sorry, but what is firefox?

                        Firefox is Mozzila's next generation browser. It is
                        free, open-source and offers many advantages over
                        other web browsers:

                        Here's why you shoud switch to Firefox:
                        http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/why/

                        Have fun,
                        Krassy

                        =====
                        Krassy Lyakov
                        <web.developer>

                        web: http://www.krassy.com/
                        blog: http://www.krassycandoit.com/blah/

                      • Matthew Lee
                        Message 11 of 20 , May 6, 2004
                          The Fox rox.

                          I dumped IE on my PC's and Safari on OS X.

                          Currently the best browser out there, IMHO.

                          On May 6, 2004, at 1:24 PM, Krassy wrote:

                          > neration browser. It is
                          > free, open-source and offers many advantages over
                          > other web browsers:
                          > http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/
                          >
                          > Here's why you shoud switch to Firefox:
                          > http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/why/

                          Matthew Lee
                          Web Developer
                          http://portfolio.vistaseeker.com
                        • Al Abut
                          Message 12 of 20 , May 6, 2004
                            --- In websandiego@yahoogroups.com, "steven" <spierce@p...> wrote:
                            > Sorry, but what is firefox? I have seen information on the list
                            about
                            > it, but not sure what it is. Is it open source??

                            Yep, it's an open source web browser, basically it's a streamlined version of Mozilla with
                            all the extraneous crap removed, whereby extraneous I mean the junk that 99% of the
                            people don't use 99% of the time, like email, newsgroup cruising, etc. And it comes with
                            the ability to edit the CSS stylesheets of any website you're looking at, which can also be
                            saved locally with the appropriate extension:
                            http://www.hicksdesign.co.uk/journal/2004/02/edit_css_in_firefox/

                            This is cool for web development, at least for those that are sick of jumping back and
                            forth between a text editor to write the markup and a browser to view the results. I don't
                            know about the rest of you, but I miss Dreamweaver's reliable WYSIWYG interface, where
                            you could write markup in the code window and instantly see the results in the design
                            window. And then ctrl-shift-U and wham! It was live up on the server. CSS layouts have
                            been a total sea change from the table-based tag soup way of creating websites back in
                            the day and DW hasn't done a very good job of keeping up, the best it can I guess, but it
                            still sucks my left toe. I feel like I've been demoted back to 1995, writing stuff by hand in
                            BBEdit and praying it comes out right when alt-tabbing to another window.

                            And oh yes, this Firefox CSS editing doohickey is also handy in taking apart a site you like
                            to see how they put it together and learn new techniques.

                            Al Abut
                            - - -
                            http://alabut.com
                            - - -
                          • David Foltz
                            Message 13 of 20 , May 6, 2004
                              > > > TTW (Through the Web) WYSIWYG Editors
                              > > > http://www.bris.ac.uk/is/projects/cms/ttw/ttw.html

                              > Okay, maybe I'm not seeing it but XFactor isn't listed:
                              > http://webstandards.org/buzz/archive/2004_05.html#a000334
                              > Maybe it's too new to be on their radar? Dunno...

                              XFactor looks compelling. Thanks for contributing your knowledge.

                              David