WiFi recommendations for school campus.

  • William Volk
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2003
      All,
      I am going to be wiring up a small campus (4 classroom trailers
      .... about 1/2 acre in area) for WiFi. Figure on 30 users MAX. 10
      typical.

      Any recommendations on what 802.x routers I should buy? Will I
      need repeaters? Should I just have 2-3 routers at different ends of the
      campus?

      Thanks,

      Bill
    • Adam Squier
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 2, 2003
        On 6/1/03 2:42 PM, William Volk at bvolk@... wrote:

        > All,
        > I am going to be wiring up a small campus (4 classroom trailers
        > .... about 1/2 acre in area) for WiFi. Figure on 30 users MAX. 10
        > typical.
        >
        > Any recommendations on what 802.x routers I should buy? Will I
        > need repeaters? Should I just have 2-3 routers at different ends of the
        > campus?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Bill

        I'm partial to Apple's Airport. Here's why:

        1. Ease of use when setting up networks. You can have as many as as you want
        going and they're easy to set up. With the new ones (AirPort Extreme), they
        don't need to be connected physically (w/ CAT5) to act as repeaters. The
        setup software is very easy to use and you can administer all of them from
        one app from any computer on the network.

        2. Looks. Seriously. By necessity, these usually are out in the open and I'd
        rather have a "flying saucer" on a shelf next to a window than a box that
        screams "computer."

        3. Support. Apple's support has gotten much better in the past few years.
        I've never had a problem with my AirPort Base Station but my iBook has been
        back a few times. Every time a box was overnighted, prepaid to go back
        overnight, fixed the next day, and overnighted again. Total time the iBook
        was out was three days tops. Unless it was over a weekend.

        The downsides are that you must have a Mac to administer them. They're also
        a bit more expensive.

        Hope this helps.

        --Adam