new member - Gail

  • sleepwhenican@wmconnect.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 2 12:23 AM
      Hi all. I am a new member to this list (not to yahoo groups). A little about me. I am a full time college student at Purdue University in Indiana. I am a non-traditional student, meaning older, married and have children. I have been married 12 years, have 3 boys, they are 9,7, and 6. the middle one has ADHD. I have been a paraprofessional in the local schools on and off from 1993. I am majoring in Elementary Special Education and hope to graduate in Fall 2008. One of my classes this semester EDCI 270 - taught by Tim Newby is about technology in the class room. One of our projects is to make a web quest. Which is why I joined this list. I have just started working on my project and am getting addicted rather quickly. It looks like a ton of fun! I just recently made a power point presentation called "Come Sign With Me - an introduction to sign language". Looking forward to getting to know you all and working on my first and many more web quests.

      Gail
    • PMurphyNAM@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 2 9:03 PM
        Welcome to the group, Gail. We have a couple things in common.  I was once a non-traditional student and a paraprofessional. It was a long time ago, though, back when I lived in the San Franciso Bay Area- one year in Oakland and a few more in San Francisco.  Presently, I'm a Special Education teacher and I work in an innercity PreK-8th grade public school in Buffalo, NY.

        I'd love to find out more about your project. What grade level are you gearing it for?  What's the topic of the web quest?

        -Patricia

        P.S.  The "
        Center for Children and Families" at the University of Buffalo focuses on ADHD and ADD children.  Their web site doesn't look fancy, but it offers some free downloads that you might want to take a look at:
        "CCF Home Page"
        http://128.205.76.10/index.htm

        --- In webquest@yahoogroups.com, sleepwhenican@... wrote:

        > Hi all. I am a new member to this list (not to yahoo groups). A little about
        > me. I am a full time college student at Purdue University in Indiana. I am a
        > non-traditional student, meaning older, married and have children. I have been
        > married 12 years, have 3 boys, they are 9,7, and 6. the middle one has ADHD. I
        > have been a paraprofessional in the local schools on and off from 1993. I am
        > majoring in Elementary Special Education and hope to graduate in Fall 2008.
        > One of my classes this semester EDCI 270 - taught by Tim Newby is about
        > technology in the class room. One of our projects is to make a web quest. Which is why
        > I joined this list. I have just started working on my project and am getting
        > addicted rather quickly. It looks like a ton of fun! I just recently made a
        > power point presentation called "Come Sign With Me - an introduction to sign
        > language". Looking forward to getting to know you all and working on my first and
        > many more web quests.
        >
        > Gail

      • Darlene Marquardt
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 3 5:14 PM
          Welcome!

          Is your powerpoint online somewhere? During summers I work at a camp
          for speech and hearing impaired kids... the sign language power point
          would be interesting. (I'm a high school Business teacher when it
          isn't summer)

          Darlene
        • sleepwhenican@wmconnect.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 3 6:15 PM
            Patrica
            Hi, thanks for the welcome. Great to meet people with things in common.

            As for my webquest, it is about deaf culture. I have already done the planning sheet and so have a start. It will be a group project each person has a different thing to research and then teach the other team members. Such as what is considered normal in the deaf culture? Who is Gallidaute (sp) why is he important? What was the "deaf president now" movement about, why was it important? Also they will learn the letters of the alaphabet and a few signs etc.

            I already did a power point with some of the above and want to see if I can have it on the webquest for the students to use. (by the way I got the best grade in the class on the power point and the TA has asked permission for her to use it for teaching about the power point project for the comming semesters, she said it is one of the best she has seen in a while) I am sure there is a way just have not done, or even looked into it  yet.

            Gail

            ps will check out the link you mentioned