[weblogs] Re: navel gazing

  • Brad L. Graham
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 5, 2000
      At 9:00 PM -0800 1/4/2000, Mike Gunderloy wrote:

      >So just how inbred a community are we? How many weblogs do you read on a
      >regular (daily, weekly) basis?

      There are probably around 50 weblogs/newspages/journals that I read
      regularly, some daily, some weekly, some more infrequently but still
      "regularly".

      As for "inbreeding," that's been a fairly consistent
      observation/accusation of webloggers practically from day one of the
      movement, whenever that was. It's a fairly limited analogy, though.

      I prefer instead to think of links that appear in multiple logs as
      signal strengtheners, repeater stations, if you will. Every weblog
      author has a different audience; sometimes it varies quite
      considerably, both in the audience's interests and certainly in
      volume. (For example, folks who read Wes Felter's Hack the Planet for
      tech insights would probably find little to their taste at The
      BradLands; likewise my meager 100-200 daily visitors pales alongside
      the likes of Cameron Barrett's CamWorld or Jorn Barger's Robot Wisdom
      Weblog.)

      Still, despite the fact we've admitted herein to reading and copping
      links from many of our peers, I'd wager the majority of our
      readerships are pretty unique.

      So, if I nick a link from Windowseat and put in on The BradLands,
      then maybe Damien Barrett notices it, finds it interesting and sticks
      it on MrBarrett, where it's found and subsequently linked by Dan Lyke
      at Flutterby -- it's a bit like passing a baton from runner to runner
      or a mail pouch from Pony Express rider to rider. At each stop along
      the way, we add our individual commentary and thereby carry more
      meaning and/or connotation to our own, particular audience.

      Along the way, a de facto weighting/rating system comes into play.
      The more logs something is mentioned in, the more likely that it's
      the hot story of the 'net on a given day or week, or that it's going
      to be the "new, new thing" when the unwired world notices it sometime
      hence. It's a fairly crude "more links = more value" system, but it's
      there nonetheless.

      To take it a step further: by crediting a weblog where a borrowed
      link was originally found, we introduce a means of scalability to our
      expanding community. If readers consistently see links from another
      weblog in my own, they will perhaps think, "Hmm...maybe I'd better
      check out that other site. Probably a *lot* of stuff I'd be
      interested in over there." They may even eventually stop visiting my
      site in favor of the other, since it's author is more closely aligned
      with their set of interests, tastes, lifestyle, etc. than I, since
      I've only picked and chosen a limited subset of the other guy's links
      to feature.

      Meanwhile, I'm picking up new readers from reciprocal links on
      *other* weblogs, and they told two friends, and they told two
      friends...and so on and so on.

      Gradually, persistent and increasingly sophisticated readers of
      weblogs will come to find a limited (although malleable) set of
      weblogs that suit them and their tastes/interests comfortably. Some
      of them will start their own weblogs to fill a void, be it topical or
      geographic or whatever.

      We're not really in-breeding, we're recruiting. And we're growing a
      community by fits and starts along the way. Ain't it grand?

      Brad L. Graham [mailto:blgraham@...]
      Writer, Editor, Prophet, Softshoe Dancer & Singer of Sentimental Ballads
      Visit the scenic BradLands: http://www.bradlands.com

      "We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of the dreams." ---
      Willy Wonka
    • MikeWas999@aol.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 6, 2000
        In a message dated 01/06/2000 12:26:42 AM Eastern Standard Time,
        blgraham@... writes:

        > Still, despite the fact we've admitted herein to reading and copping
        > links from many of our peers, I'd wager the majority of our
        > readerships are pretty unique.

        Having done some navel-gazing with the aid of referrer tracking for just over
        a week now, it appaers that most of my readership (exlucing the accidental
        one-time hits from search engines) is other bloggers. And my fiancee. Maybe
        that will change over time.

        Mike
        What's On It For Me - another weblog
        http://members.aol.com/mikewas999/weblog.html
      • Amanda Holland-Minkley
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 6, 2000

          > So just how inbred a community are we? How many weblogs do you read on a
          > regular (daily, weekly) basis?

          Hmmm - I probably read 5-10 weblogs a day, except for those days when I
          don't do any web surfing at all. I've got a list of about 30 that I
          rotate those visits through, trying to read each about once a week, though
          some of them I visit every day. And some I find that I don't visit for
          several weeks, at which point it goes off my rotation.

          About once a month, I make a point of trying out new weblogs, and I'll
          also visit weblogs that are cited on other weblogs as the source for
          cool stuff. So, I probably visit somewhere between 40 and 50 different
          weblogs in the course of a given week. And I probably read about a
          dozen of them in detail each week.

          Not sure whether this makes me inbred or not - wouldn't that have to do
          with _which_ weblogs I was reading?

          Amanda Holland-Minkley hollandm@...
          Screenshot weblog: http://www.io.com/~amh/screenshot/
          Personal Page: http://www.cs.cornell.edu/home/hollandm/