[weblogs] Re: Traction towards...?

  • Jorn Barger
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 4, 1999
      > I have a web site. I write on that website. Fun!
      > A surprising number of people stop by regularly and read. Nifty!
      > Other people do similar things on their sites. Groovy!
      > Sometimes, we chat with each other about what we do. Cool!

      Yes!

      > THE END.

      No!

      > What more am I supposed to want out of this?
      > What more does everyone else want out of this?
      >
      > I can't shake the feeling that Dave & Jorn & Cam want to put out
      > an IPO someday or something.

      What I say on my homepage:

      The traditional ideal: A world ruled by wise, loving, responsible
      elders

      The present reality: A world under the thumbs of utterly cynical
      predators...

      My strategy (as stated there) has been to articulate a
      computer-simulation of our culture (robot wisdom), but if we can grow a
      community of non-corporate truth-tellers, that may even make the
      simulation irrelevant.

      --
      XML for webpages is like plastic bags for comic books.
      I edit the Net: <URL:http://www.robotwisdom.com/>
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 4, 1999
        >>The traditional ideal: A world ruled by wise, loving, responsible elders

        Yuck!

        Now I know where our disconnect is.

        I don't need no stikin rulers!

        One man's wise loving responsible elder is another's stinkin fascist
        dictator.

        I'd much rather have Wes Felter rule the world.

        I almost put a smiley there, but I'm not kidding.

        Dave
      • Jen Kitchen
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 4, 1999
          On Thu, 4 Nov 1999 bogart-egroups@... wrote:
          > I can't shake the feeling that Dave & Jorn & Cam want to put out
          > an IPO someday or something.

          My father keeps asking me why I'm not a millionaire yet since I'm good at
          "all this internet stuff" - after all, those Yahoo guys are millionaires,
          and aren't I much more smart than them? :) Remember, this is my dad - he
          thinks I'm perfect. :)

          Jen
          whim & vinegar
          http://www.gooddeed.net/blog/

          "note to self: if marcia dies in the office, don't eat her brain"
          Me:Jen Kitchen E:jen@... WWW:http://www.gooddeed.net/blog
          RenMommy + Creative Soul + 'blogger + Bookworm + Extrovert + ENFP
          UU Evangelist + Photoshopper + Elboid + Flirt + Web Geek + Writer
        • Bill Humphries
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 4, 1999

            Anyone else here read Ursula K. Le Guin's _The Dispossesed_?
          • The New Homemaker
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 4, 1999
              >Anyone else here read Ursula K. Le Guin's _The Dispossesed_?

              One of my favorite books, actually.

              Lynn
              in Ursula's hometown--interviewed her TWICE! Swoon!

              --
              Lynn Siprelle, Editor, The New Homemaker
              Resources for the Domestic Renaissance and Support for the