[webloggerusergroup] Public Accessible link policy

  • Dan Lyke
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 19, 2001
      jm writes:
      > I was wondering what was your 'policy' about linking to articles
      > that are not free (e.g. on WSJ, The Economist or Salon Premium) or
      > that requires a cookie / free registration (NYTimes) ?

      I link to things I find interesting. If my readers can't figure out
      how to fill out a free registration box, or don't want to pay for the
      same publications I pay for, that's their call.

      If there's not a teaser at the site for non-paying members, I'll
      probably go out of my way to describe why I think a particular
      document is worthwhile, but so far Salon provides most of the meat of
      the article, in fact enough that if you care you can go find the rest
      of the facts in the article with Google, that it hasn't bothered me.

      I should probably subscribe to the Economist, but I'm trying to cut
      back on my mandatory reading.

      Dan
    • Brian Sobolak
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 20, 2001
        Hello Madhu,

        Monday, November 19, 2001, 9:04:03 AM, you wrote:

        MM> This may not be the place for it, but I've always given false information
        MM> for any such registration process. I was born in 1970 in the Falkland
        MM> Islands, I'm in the lowest income group, I have absolutely no hobbies,
        MM> never buy online, and my ZIP code is 90210.

        MM> All false, of course.
        MM> But they probably don't have any targeted advertising for Falkland Islands :)

        MM> Do many of you do that too?

        Indeed. But I don't discriminate against just websites. I also do
        this on grocery store frequent buyer clubs, ordering pizza, and
        magazine subscriptions. billg has received a few Safeway Club Cards
        from me, and most people still give you a funny look when you give a
        very assumed name when ordering a sandwich (tuna on rye
        for...Batman?)

        It can be a useful technique for more than just identity hiding. I
        would give a fake title at most of the technical conferences I've
        attended, and then proceeded to see how they sell my name based upon
        the mail I receive with the fake title.

        brian

        --
        Got work? http://www.planetshwoop.com/resume/