RE: [webloggerusergroup] Public Accessible link policy

  • Mahesh Shantaram
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 19, 2001
      -----Original Message-----
      From: jm [mailto:giem@...]
      Sent: Monday, November 19, 2001 4:54 PM
      To: webloggerusergroup@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [webloggerusergroup] Public Accessible link policy

      Hi jm,

      > I was wondering what was your 'policy' about linking
      > to articles that are not free (e.g. on WSJ, The
      > Economist or Salon Premium) or that requires a cookie
      > / free registration (NYTimes) ?

      From a weblogging/journalists point of view, I like what Rebecca Blood does.
      She mentions the the username (rebeccas_pocket) and password (I think it's
      "blood") of a dummy account beside an NYT link. That was very helpful,
      because earlier on, I wouldn't click on NYT links. The thought of a sign-up
      process would deter me.

      > Also, do you think that the "End of Free" will have an
      > influence on the collection of web links and therefore
      > on the content of your online publishing?

      It's a coincidence that you should ask this today. India's most respected
      news media group (in the class of Time Magazine) decided to open their
      online publication to subscribers only. That's bad news for me as I've
      linked heavily to TheNewspaperToday.com from my journal.

      I believe that as the Web goes form free to paid, user experience will take
      a kick due to widespread linkrot. I've written on this topic before:
      http://msram.livejournal.com/day/2001/04/04

      ---
      Mahesh Shantaram
      http://www.techrose.org/
    • Madhu Menon
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 19, 2001
        At 10:07 PM 11/19/2001, Mahesh Shantaram opined:
        > From a weblogging/journalists point of view, I like what Rebecca Blood does.
        >She mentions the the username (rebeccas_pocket) and password (I think it's
        >"blood") of a dummy account beside an NYT link. That was very helpful,
        >because earlier on, I wouldn't click on NYT links. The thought of a sign-up
        >process would deter me.

        All well and good, till the day NYTimes.com decides that it will restict a
        user name to only one session or IP.

        For NY Times articles, simply change the "www" in the URL to "partners" and
        you'll get in without any login process. For example:
        http://www.nytimes.com/2001/11/19/international/asia/19MILI.html

        This may not be the place for it, but I've always given false information
        for any such registration process. I was born in 1970 in the Falkland
        Islands, I'm in the lowest income group, I have absolutely no hobbies,
        never buy online, and my ZIP code is 90210.

        All false, of course.
        But they probably don't have any targeted advertising for Falkland Islands :)

        Do many of you do that too?

        >I believe that as the Web goes form free to paid, user experience will take
        >a kick due to widespread linkrot. I've written on this topic before:

        We'll always have Google cache :P

        Madhu

        <<< * >>>
        Madhu Menon
        User Experience Consultant
        e-mail: webguru@...

        Weblog: http://madman.weblogs.com
      • Dan Lyke
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 19, 2001
          jm writes:
          > I was wondering what was your 'policy' about linking to articles
          > that are not free (e.g. on WSJ, The Economist or Salon Premium) or
          > that requires a cookie / free registration (NYTimes) ?

          I link to things I find interesting. If my readers can't figure out
          how to fill out a free registration box, or don't want to pay for the
          same publications I pay for, that's their call.

          If there's not a teaser at the site for non-paying members, I'll
          probably go out of my way to describe why I think a particular
          document is worthwhile, but so far Salon provides most of the meat of
          the article, in fact enough that if you care you can go find the rest
          of the facts in the article with Google, that it hasn't bothered me.

          I should probably subscribe to the Economist, but I'm trying to cut
          back on my mandatory reading.

          Dan
        • Brian Sobolak
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 20, 2001
            Hello Madhu,

            Monday, November 19, 2001, 9:04:03 AM, you wrote:

            MM> This may not be the place for it, but I've always given false information
            MM> for any such registration process. I was born in 1970 in the Falkland
            MM> Islands, I'm in the lowest income group, I have absolutely no hobbies,
            MM> never buy online, and my ZIP code is 90210.

            MM> All false, of course.
            MM> But they probably don't have any targeted advertising for Falkland Islands :)

            MM> Do many of you do that too?

            Indeed. But I don't discriminate against just websites. I also do
            this on grocery store frequent buyer clubs, ordering pizza, and
            magazine subscriptions. billg has received a few Safeway Club Cards
            from me, and most people still give you a funny look when you give a
            very assumed name when ordering a sandwich (tuna on rye
            for...Batman?)

            It can be a useful technique for more than just identity hiding. I
            would give a fake title at most of the technical conferences I've
            attended, and then proceeded to see how they sell my name based upon
            the mail I receive with the fake title.

            brian

            --
            Got work? http://www.planetshwoop.com/resume/