Public Accessible link policy

  • jm
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 19 3:23 AM
      Hi,

      I was wondering what was your 'policy' about linking to articles that are
      not free (e.g. on WSJ, The Economist or Salon Premium) or that requires a
      cookie / free registration (NYTimes) ?

      Also, do you think that the "End of Free" will have an influence on the
      collection of web links and therefore on the content of your online
      publishing?

      Cheers,
      --
      jm
      Weblogue: (from english Web: network and latin logos:talk) opinion wishing
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 19 4:35 AM
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 19 9:04 AM
          At 10:07 PM 11/19/2001, Mahesh Shantaram opined:
          > From a weblogging/journalists point of view, I like what Rebecca Blood does.
          >She mentions the the username (rebeccas_pocket) and password (I think it's
          >"blood") of a dummy account beside an NYT link. That was very helpful,
          >because earlier on, I wouldn't click on NYT links. The thought of a sign-up
          >process would deter me.

          All well and good, till the day NYTimes.com decides that it will restict a
          user name to only one session or IP.

          For NY Times articles, simply change the "www" in the URL to "partners" and
          you'll get in without any login process. For example:
          http://www.nytimes.com/2001/11/19/international/asia/19MILI.html

          This may not be the place for it, but I've always given false information
          for any such registration process. I was born in 1970 in the Falkland
          Islands, I'm in the lowest income group, I have absolutely no hobbies,
          never buy online, and my ZIP code is 90210.

          All false, of course.
          But they probably don't have any targeted advertising for Falkland Islands :)

          Do many of you do that too?

          >I believe that as the Web goes form free to paid, user experience will take
          >a kick due to widespread linkrot. I've written on this topic before:

          We'll always have Google cache :P

          Madhu

          <<< * >>>
          Madhu Menon
          User Experience Consultant
          e-mail: webguru@...

          Weblog: http://madman.weblogs.com
        • Dan Lyke
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 19 9:18 AM
            jm writes:
            > I was wondering what was your 'policy' about linking to articles
            > that are not free (e.g. on WSJ, The Economist or Salon Premium) or
            > that requires a cookie / free registration (NYTimes) ?

            I link to things I find interesting. If my readers can't figure out
            how to fill out a free registration box, or don't want to pay for the
            same publications I pay for, that's their call.

            If there's not a teaser at the site for non-paying members, I'll
            probably go out of my way to describe why I think a particular
            document is worthwhile, but so far Salon provides most of the meat of
            the article, in fact enough that if you care you can go find the rest
            of the facts in the article with Google, that it hasn't bothered me.

            I should probably subscribe to the Economist, but I'm trying to cut
            back on my mandatory reading.

            Dan
          • Brian Sobolak
            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 20 2:19 AM
              Hello Madhu,

              Monday, November 19, 2001, 9:04:03 AM, you wrote:

              MM> This may not be the place for it, but I've always given false information
              MM> for any such registration process. I was born in 1970 in the Falkland
              MM> Islands, I'm in the lowest income group, I have absolutely no hobbies,
              MM> never buy online, and my ZIP code is 90210.

              MM> All false, of course.
              MM> But they probably don't have any targeted advertising for Falkland Islands :)

              MM> Do many of you do that too?

              Indeed. But I don't discriminate against just websites. I also do
              this on grocery store frequent buyer clubs, ordering pizza, and
              magazine subscriptions. billg has received a few Safeway Club Cards
              from me, and most people still give you a funny look when you give a
              very assumed name when ordering a sandwich (tuna on rye
              for...Batman?)

              It can be a useful technique for more than just identity hiding. I
              would give a fake title at most of the technical conferences I've
              attended, and then proceeded to see how they sell my name based upon
              the mail I receive with the fake title.

              brian

              --
              Got work? http://www.planetshwoop.com/resume/