Re: [webloggerusergroup] Weblogs == Personal Web Publishing Communities?

  • Dave Winer
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 17, 2001
      I had a domain for a while that we just let go: unclesclub.com.

      I wonder how many people in the Weblog World think of themselves as Uncles, wicked or otherwise.

      Dave

      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 17, 2001
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 17, 2001
          Mahesh Shantaram writes:
          > Now I'm confused. Does "uncle" mean anything other than "parent's brother"?

          Strictly, no. Culturally, male friends close to the family will
          sometimes be referred to as "uncle", 'cause they do lots of the same
          things uncles do: Be someone who cares about the family, and
          participates, but because he's not a parent, doesn't have the same
          economic constraints or need to maintain authority, can have a
          completely different relationship to the kids.

          For instance: I've got a friend who's got two adolescent boys. She's a
          70s feminist who's coming up against the harsh reality of male
          puberty, but also a single mom who's run fairly ragged.

          So I'm willing to be much more patient when I help with homework
          ('cause I only see them once a week or so). And I don't have kids (and
          don't plan on having kids), so I don't have to pretend that I find
          kids cute or lovable, which means that we have a relationship dynamic
          that ends up being more between equals. I can give them gifts that are
          expensive, or perhaps things they really wanted rather than things
          they should have.

          When she's doing her 70s feminist "pornography is evil" thing I can't
          exactly give 'em porn, but I can say "here, read some Nadine Strossen
          or some Carol Queen, see what other people think about how that
          influences culture", or "Hey, have you seen cleansheets.com?" to point
          out that there are more variations to sex than just the image that
          their mother hates so strongly.

          And whene their mom is talking about the importance of studying hard
          and applying themselves to education, and promulgating all those lies
          about their own academic career that parents have to lay on, I'm
          saying "yeah, I graduated in the top 60% of my high school class and
          dropped out of college" and "my years as a professional whitewater
          guide were a lot of fun".

          And where parents can't have conversations with their kids about sex,
          or push the "you're too young" line (which may be true, but won't stop
          them), I can say "it's none of my business, but I had a few terrifying
          experiences before I figured out that water based lube is a necessity
          with condoms". Let's face it: Nobody wants to hear that from their
          mom. Probably not even their dad.

          Everyone I know refers to this as "playing uncle".

          > Cross-cultural Did You Know of the day:
          > In India, children often address elderly people (who are not related
          > to them) as Uncle.

          Probably a similar thing.

          Dan
        • jm
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 19, 2001
            Hi,

            I was wondering what was your 'policy' about linking to articles that are
            not free (e.g. on WSJ, The Economist or Salon Premium) or that requires a
            cookie / free registration (NYTimes) ?

            Also, do you think that the "End of Free" will have an influence on the
            collection of web links and therefore on the content of your online
            publishing?

            Cheers,
            --
            jm
            Weblogue: (from english Web: network and latin logos:talk) opinion wishing
            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 19, 2001
              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 19, 2001
                At 10:07 PM 11/19/2001, Mahesh Shantaram opined:
                > From a weblogging/journalists point of view, I like what Rebecca Blood does.
                >She mentions the the username (rebeccas_pocket) and password (I think it's
                >"blood") of a dummy account beside an NYT link. That was very helpful,
                >because earlier on, I wouldn't click on NYT links. The thought of a sign-up
                >process would deter me.

                All well and good, till the day NYTimes.com decides that it will restict a
                user name to only one session or IP.

                For NY Times articles, simply change the "www" in the URL to "partners" and
                you'll get in without any login process. For example:
                http://www.nytimes.com/2001/11/19/international/asia/19MILI.html

                This may not be the place for it, but I've always given false information
                for any such registration process. I was born in 1970 in the Falkland
                Islands, I'm in the lowest income group, I have absolutely no hobbies,
                never buy online, and my ZIP code is 90210.

                All false, of course.
                But they probably don't have any targeted advertising for Falkland Islands :)

                Do many of you do that too?

                >I believe that as the Web goes form free to paid, user experience will take
                >a kick due to widespread linkrot. I've written on this topic before:

                We'll always have Google cache :P

                Madhu

                <<< * >>>
                Madhu Menon
                User Experience Consultant
                e-mail: webguru@...

                Weblog: http://madman.weblogs.com
              • Dan Lyke
                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 19, 2001
                  jm writes:
                  > I was wondering what was your 'policy' about linking to articles
                  > that are not free (e.g. on WSJ, The Economist or Salon Premium) or
                  > that requires a cookie / free registration (NYTimes) ?

                  I link to things I find interesting. If my readers can't figure out
                  how to fill out a free registration box, or don't want to pay for the
                  same publications I pay for, that's their call.

                  If there's not a teaser at the site for non-paying members, I'll
                  probably go out of my way to describe why I think a particular
                  document is worthwhile, but so far Salon provides most of the meat of
                  the article, in fact enough that if you care you can go find the rest
                  of the facts in the article with Google, that it hasn't bothered me.

                  I should probably subscribe to the Economist, but I'm trying to cut
                  back on my mandatory reading.

                  Dan
                • Brian Sobolak
                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 20, 2001
                    Hello Madhu,

                    Monday, November 19, 2001, 9:04:03 AM, you wrote:

                    MM> This may not be the place for it, but I've always given false information
                    MM> for any such registration process. I was born in 1970 in the Falkland
                    MM> Islands, I'm in the lowest income group, I have absolutely no hobbies,
                    MM> never buy online, and my ZIP code is 90210.

                    MM> All false, of course.
                    MM> But they probably don't have any targeted advertising for Falkland Islands :)

                    MM> Do many of you do that too?

                    Indeed. But I don't discriminate against just websites. I also do
                    this on grocery store frequent buyer clubs, ordering pizza, and
                    magazine subscriptions. billg has received a few Safeway Club Cards
                    from me, and most people still give you a funny look when you give a
                    very assumed name when ordering a sandwich (tuna on rye
                    for...Batman?)

                    It can be a useful technique for more than just identity hiding. I
                    would give a fake title at most of the technical conferences I've
                    attended, and then proceeded to see how they sell my name based upon
                    the mail I receive with the fake title.

                    brian

                    --
                    Got work? http://www.planetshwoop.com/resume/