Re: [webloggerusergroup] Weinberger: Blogger Scrape?

  • Julian Bond
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 17, 2001
      In article <00c701c16ef7$e898f3c0$c8a8a8c0@...>, Doug Kaye
      <doug@...> writes
      >Glad to see that after a 2-year hiatus, David Weinberger is blogging again
      >(http://www.hyperorg.com/blogger/).
      >
      >Is there a standard way to get an RSS feed from a Blogger-generated site?
      >Public scrapers?

      Unfortunately not. You have two options.

      1) Try and persuade the Blog owner to make use of the RSSify tools.
      http://logicerror.com/blogifyYourPage
      http://www.voidstar.com/rssify.php
      http://www.kalsey.com/web/xml/rssblog.html
      The owner has to insert a couple of tags into their Blogger template and
      the tool does all the rest. It's the work of minutes. In the absence of
      native Blogger RSS, it would be great if more Blogger users did this. It
      would be even better if BlogSpot hosted one of them.

      2) Ask someone like http://www.newsisfree.com to scrape the page and
      turn it into RSS.

      Incidentally, of the four Cluetrain authors, only one (Doc) produces
      native RSS and that's awkward and slightly perverse because his is one
      day per item. If you read it every couple of hours you can track the
      edits. By the end of the day, you're getting 5-600 words each time.
      Rageboy is scraped by NewsIsFree. Boing Boing has the RSSify tags and is
      also scraped by NIF. Weinberger's has only just appeared so we haven't
      got to that one yet.

      Maybe it's time for them all to jump on the RSStrain. ;-)

      --
      Julian Bond email: julian_bond@...
      CV/Resume: http://www.voidstar.com/cv/
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 17, 2001
        In article <0ad301c16eef$6ff8a5d0$33a1dc40@murphy>, Dave Winer
        <dave@...> writes
        >how about uncle? I think that's my lot
        >in life.

        I always wanted to be the "Wicked Uncle". The one who appeared out of
        the blue after several years in the heart of Africa and encouraged the
        nephews to break the rules and upset their straight parents. But then
        I'm also quite looking forward to being the old curmudgeon who sits by
        the fire in the pub, nursing a half of Guinness and growling at anyone
        who comes near while occasionally boring a captive audience to tears
        with stories about "What I did in the Sudan"...

        Any suggestion that you could substitute "Early PC Software industry"
        for "Sudan" and have all that refer to Dave, would be scurrilous
        character defamation and should definitely be avoided. That was about
        me, not him.

        Heh!

        --
        Julian Bond email: julian_bond@...
        CV/Resume: http://www.voidstar.com/cv/
        WebLog: http://www.voidstar.com/
        M: +44 (0)77 5907 2173 T: +44 (0)192 0412 433
        ICQ:33679568 tag:So many words, so little time
      • Jay Allen
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 17, 2001
          --- In webloggerusergroup@y..., "Dave Winer" <dave@u...> wrote:
          > Here's my latest contribution to the "What are Weblogs?" debate..
          >
          > http://newhome.weblogs.com/personalWebPublishingCommunities
          >
          > Hope you enjoy it!

          Let's see...

          "on the web" = Online
          Personal = Personal
          Published = Pubishing
          Communities = Group

          -j-
          http://www.openwire.com
        • Dave Winer
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 17, 2001
            I had a domain for a while that we just let go: unclesclub.com.

            I wonder how many people in the Weblog World think of themselves as Uncles, wicked or otherwise.

            Dave

            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 17, 2001
              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 17, 2001
                Mahesh Shantaram writes:
                > Now I'm confused. Does "uncle" mean anything other than "parent's brother"?

                Strictly, no. Culturally, male friends close to the family will
                sometimes be referred to as "uncle", 'cause they do lots of the same
                things uncles do: Be someone who cares about the family, and
                participates, but because he's not a parent, doesn't have the same
                economic constraints or need to maintain authority, can have a
                completely different relationship to the kids.

                For instance: I've got a friend who's got two adolescent boys. She's a
                70s feminist who's coming up against the harsh reality of male
                puberty, but also a single mom who's run fairly ragged.

                So I'm willing to be much more patient when I help with homework
                ('cause I only see them once a week or so). And I don't have kids (and
                don't plan on having kids), so I don't have to pretend that I find
                kids cute or lovable, which means that we have a relationship dynamic
                that ends up being more between equals. I can give them gifts that are
                expensive, or perhaps things they really wanted rather than things
                they should have.

                When she's doing her 70s feminist "pornography is evil" thing I can't
                exactly give 'em porn, but I can say "here, read some Nadine Strossen
                or some Carol Queen, see what other people think about how that
                influences culture", or "Hey, have you seen cleansheets.com?" to point
                out that there are more variations to sex than just the image that
                their mother hates so strongly.

                And whene their mom is talking about the importance of studying hard
                and applying themselves to education, and promulgating all those lies
                about their own academic career that parents have to lay on, I'm
                saying "yeah, I graduated in the top 60% of my high school class and
                dropped out of college" and "my years as a professional whitewater
                guide were a lot of fun".

                And where parents can't have conversations with their kids about sex,
                or push the "you're too young" line (which may be true, but won't stop
                them), I can say "it's none of my business, but I had a few terrifying
                experiences before I figured out that water based lube is a necessity
                with condoms". Let's face it: Nobody wants to hear that from their
                mom. Probably not even their dad.

                Everyone I know refers to this as "playing uncle".

                > Cross-cultural Did You Know of the day:
                > In India, children often address elderly people (who are not related
                > to them) as Uncle.

                Probably a similar thing.

                Dan
              • jm
                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 19, 2001
                  Hi,

                  I was wondering what was your 'policy' about linking to articles that are
                  not free (e.g. on WSJ, The Economist or Salon Premium) or that requires a
                  cookie / free registration (NYTimes) ?

                  Also, do you think that the "End of Free" will have an influence on the
                  collection of web links and therefore on the content of your online
                  publishing?

                  Cheers,
                  --
                  jm
                  Weblogue: (from english Web: network and latin logos:talk) opinion wishing
                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 19, 2001
                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 19, 2001
                      At 10:07 PM 11/19/2001, Mahesh Shantaram opined:
                      > From a weblogging/journalists point of view, I like what Rebecca Blood does.
                      >She mentions the the username (rebeccas_pocket) and password (I think it's
                      >"blood") of a dummy account beside an NYT link. That was very helpful,
                      >because earlier on, I wouldn't click on NYT links. The thought of a sign-up
                      >process would deter me.

                      All well and good, till the day NYTimes.com decides that it will restict a
                      user name to only one session or IP.

                      For NY Times articles, simply change the "www" in the URL to "partners" and
                      you'll get in without any login process. For example:
                      http://www.nytimes.com/2001/11/19/international/asia/19MILI.html

                      This may not be the place for it, but I've always given false information
                      for any such registration process. I was born in 1970 in the Falkland
                      Islands, I'm in the lowest income group, I have absolutely no hobbies,
                      never buy online, and my ZIP code is 90210.

                      All false, of course.
                      But they probably don't have any targeted advertising for Falkland Islands :)

                      Do many of you do that too?

                      >I believe that as the Web goes form free to paid, user experience will take
                      >a kick due to widespread linkrot. I've written on this topic before:

                      We'll always have Google cache :P

                      Madhu

                      <<< * >>>
                      Madhu Menon
                      User Experience Consultant
                      e-mail: webguru@...

                      Weblog: http://madman.weblogs.com
                    • Dan Lyke
                      Message 10 of 18 , Nov 19, 2001
                        jm writes:
                        > I was wondering what was your 'policy' about linking to articles
                        > that are not free (e.g. on WSJ, The Economist or Salon Premium) or
                        > that requires a cookie / free registration (NYTimes) ?

                        I link to things I find interesting. If my readers can't figure out
                        how to fill out a free registration box, or don't want to pay for the
                        same publications I pay for, that's their call.

                        If there's not a teaser at the site for non-paying members, I'll
                        probably go out of my way to describe why I think a particular
                        document is worthwhile, but so far Salon provides most of the meat of
                        the article, in fact enough that if you care you can go find the rest
                        of the facts in the article with Google, that it hasn't bothered me.

                        I should probably subscribe to the Economist, but I'm trying to cut
                        back on my mandatory reading.

                        Dan
                      • Brian Sobolak
                        Message 11 of 18 , Nov 20, 2001
                          Hello Madhu,

                          Monday, November 19, 2001, 9:04:03 AM, you wrote:

                          MM> This may not be the place for it, but I've always given false information
                          MM> for any such registration process. I was born in 1970 in the Falkland
                          MM> Islands, I'm in the lowest income group, I have absolutely no hobbies,
                          MM> never buy online, and my ZIP code is 90210.

                          MM> All false, of course.
                          MM> But they probably don't have any targeted advertising for Falkland Islands :)

                          MM> Do many of you do that too?

                          Indeed. But I don't discriminate against just websites. I also do
                          this on grocery store frequent buyer clubs, ordering pizza, and
                          magazine subscriptions. billg has received a few Safeway Club Cards
                          from me, and most people still give you a funny look when you give a
                          very assumed name when ordering a sandwich (tuna on rye
                          for...Batman?)

                          It can be a useful technique for more than just identity hiding. I
                          would give a fake title at most of the technical conferences I've
                          attended, and then proceeded to see how they sell my name based upon
                          the mail I receive with the fake title.

                          brian

                          --
                          Got work? http://www.planetshwoop.com/resume/