Weblogs == Personal Web Publishing Communities?

  • Dave Winer
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 16, 2001
      Here's my latest contribution to the "What are Weblogs?" debate..

      http://newhome.weblogs.com/personalWebPublishingCommunities

      Hope you enjoy it!

      Dave
    • Dan Lyke
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 16, 2001
        Dave Winer writes:
        > http://newhome.weblogs.com/personalWebPublishingCommunities

        which says:

        > 4. And finally, a weblog is part of _communities_. No weblog stands
        > alone, they are relative to each other and to the world.
      • Dan Lyke
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 16, 2001
          D'oh! Sorry about that previous blank message.

          Dave Winer writes:
          > http://newhome.weblogs.com/personalWebPublishingCommunities

          which says:

          > 4. And finally, a weblog is part of _communities_. No weblog stands
          > alone, they are relative to each other and to the world.

          I think this is something critical which I'm trying to rediscover on
          my 'blog. Many of my favorite sites have been slow recently, or have
          been concentrating more on links and less on commentary and original
          content. I know I'm fairly guilty on this point too, as my longer
          essay system is currently broken.

          One of the things I like about your 'blog, Dave, is that you do a lot
          of cross-linking between ideas. I often think the topics of discussion
          are kinda uninteresting[1], but I like that you're kinda the... dang,
          I've tried "patriarch" and "leader", neither of which is right... of a
          part of the weblogging community, and that reading Scripting News
          starts to feel like being accepted at a party where most of the folks
          have longstanding relationships.

          Something a few people have mentioned recently is that "weblogging" is
          no longer the unifying force it once was because "weblogging" no
          longer implies the same skill set that it did in 1998. So my
          frustrations are probably just that it's harder to find the similar
          folks now than then.

          No good ideas, just ramblings while waiting for code to run.

          Dan

          [1] memes exist. Yes, it sucks that humans are so susceptible to them,
          and yes, the Cluetrain folks are full of hoohey. Whatever.
        • Dave Winer
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 16, 2001
            Couple o'comments..

            Re community -- talking with a friend the other day -- I forget who of course -- we agreed that blog-writing is relational. It's relating one idea to others. Ties communities together.

            I don't like "patriarch" or "leader" -- how about uncle? I think that's my lot in life. I have an avuncular personality. Now this has gotten me in trouble with people like "Bill Kearney" (smile Bill) who may have unresolved "uncle issues."

            Anyway this FAQ seems to be resonating. It's being translated to French as we speak. Happy.

            Dave

            Dave Winer writes:
            > http://newhome.weblogs.com/personalWebPublishingCommunities

            which says:

            >  4. And finally, a weblog is part of _communities_. No weblog stands
            >     alone, they are relative to each other and to the world.

            I think this is something critical which I'm trying to rediscover on
            my 'blog. Many of my favorite sites have been slow recently, or have
            been concentrating more on links and less on commentary and original
            content. I know I'm fairly guilty on this point too, as my longer
            essay system is currently broken.

            One of the things I like about your 'blog, Dave, is that you do a lot
            of cross-linking between ideas. I often think the topics of discussion
            are kinda uninteresting[1], but I like that you're kinda the... dang,
            I've tried "patriarch" and "leader", neither of which is right... of a
            part of the weblogging community, and that reading Scripting News
            starts to feel like being accepted at a party where most of the folks
            have longstanding relationships.

            Something a few people have mentioned recently is that "weblogging" is
            no longer the unifying force it once was because "weblogging" no
            longer implies the same skill set that it did in 1998. So my
            frustrations are probably just that it's harder to find the similar
            folks now than then.

            No good ideas, just ramblings while waiting for code to run.

            Dan

            [1] memes exist. Yes, it sucks that humans are so susceptible to them,
            and yes, the Cluetrain folks are full of hoohey. Whatever.

          • Bill Humphries
            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 16, 2001
              On Friday, November 16, 2001, at 12:29 PM, Dave Winer wrote:

              > Here's my latest contribution to the "What are Weblogs?" debate..

              I like this.

              However some folks might disagree with part of point #3:

              >> A weblog is published -- words flow through templates, the process is
              >> automated, the writer and designer are elevated.

              There are a few weblogs that don't use templating or automation.
              <strike>the Luddites!</strike> I think Zeldman's still editing in BBEdit.

              Related to the subject: last year I was at a tea hosted by a friend who
              writes an on-line journal. I was introduced as a 'blogger to another
              journal writer who said she hated those weblogs that were just lists of
              links. I laughed and told her that my weblog was a list of links. ;>

              ----
              Bill Humphries <bill@...>
              http://www.whump.com/moreLikeThis/
            • Mike Gunderloy
              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 16, 2001
                Yup. The definition of weblogs by tool rather than by content has made
                the weblogging universe what it is today -- a dismal slough of personal
                pages that are complete wastes of the electrons it takes to move them
                around.

                Mike Gunderloy
                http://www.larkfarm.com

              • Doug Kaye
                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 16, 2001
                  Glad to see that after a 2-year hiatus, David Weinberger is blogging again
                  (http://www.hyperorg.com/blogger/).

                  Is there a standard way to get an RSS feed from a Blogger-generated site?
                  Public scrapers?

                  ...doug

                  Doug Kaye
                  doug@...
                  www.rds.com
                • Julian Bond
                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 17, 2001
                    In article <00c701c16ef7$e898f3c0$c8a8a8c0@...>, Doug Kaye
                    <doug@...> writes
                    >Glad to see that after a 2-year hiatus, David Weinberger is blogging again
                    >(http://www.hyperorg.com/blogger/).
                    >
                    >Is there a standard way to get an RSS feed from a Blogger-generated site?
                    >Public scrapers?

                    Unfortunately not. You have two options.

                    1) Try and persuade the Blog owner to make use of the RSSify tools.
                    http://logicerror.com/blogifyYourPage
                    http://www.voidstar.com/rssify.php
                    http://www.kalsey.com/web/xml/rssblog.html
                    The owner has to insert a couple of tags into their Blogger template and
                    the tool does all the rest. It's the work of minutes. In the absence of
                    native Blogger RSS, it would be great if more Blogger users did this. It
                    would be even better if BlogSpot hosted one of them.

                    2) Ask someone like http://www.newsisfree.com to scrape the page and
                    turn it into RSS.

                    Incidentally, of the four Cluetrain authors, only one (Doc) produces
                    native RSS and that's awkward and slightly perverse because his is one
                    day per item. If you read it every couple of hours you can track the
                    edits. By the end of the day, you're getting 5-600 words each time.
                    Rageboy is scraped by NewsIsFree. Boing Boing has the RSSify tags and is
                    also scraped by NIF. Weinberger's has only just appeared so we haven't
                    got to that one yet.

                    Maybe it's time for them all to jump on the RSStrain. ;-)

                    --
                    Julian Bond email: julian_bond@...
                    CV/Resume: http://www.voidstar.com/cv/
                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 17, 2001
                      In article <0ad301c16eef$6ff8a5d0$33a1dc40@murphy>, Dave Winer
                      <dave@...> writes
                      >how about uncle? I think that's my lot
                      >in life.

                      I always wanted to be the "Wicked Uncle". The one who appeared out of
                      the blue after several years in the heart of Africa and encouraged the
                      nephews to break the rules and upset their straight parents. But then
                      I'm also quite looking forward to being the old curmudgeon who sits by
                      the fire in the pub, nursing a half of Guinness and growling at anyone
                      who comes near while occasionally boring a captive audience to tears
                      with stories about "What I did in the Sudan"...

                      Any suggestion that you could substitute "Early PC Software industry"
                      for "Sudan" and have all that refer to Dave, would be scurrilous
                      character defamation and should definitely be avoided. That was about
                      me, not him.

                      Heh!

                      --
                      Julian Bond email: julian_bond@...
                      CV/Resume: http://www.voidstar.com/cv/
                      WebLog: http://www.voidstar.com/
                      M: +44 (0)77 5907 2173 T: +44 (0)192 0412 433
                      ICQ:33679568 tag:So many words, so little time
                    • Jay Allen
                      Message 10 of 18 , Nov 17, 2001
                        --- In webloggerusergroup@y..., "Dave Winer" <dave@u...> wrote:
                        > Here's my latest contribution to the "What are Weblogs?" debate..
                        >
                        > http://newhome.weblogs.com/personalWebPublishingCommunities
                        >
                        > Hope you enjoy it!

                        Let's see...

                        "on the web" = Online
                        Personal = Personal
                        Published = Pubishing
                        Communities = Group

                        -j-
                        http://www.openwire.com
                      • Dave Winer
                        Message 11 of 18 , Nov 17, 2001
                          I had a domain for a while that we just let go: unclesclub.com.

                          I wonder how many people in the Weblog World think of themselves as Uncles, wicked or otherwise.

                          Dave

                          Message 12 of 18 , Nov 17, 2001
                            Message 13 of 18 , Nov 17, 2001
                              Mahesh Shantaram writes:
                              > Now I'm confused. Does "uncle" mean anything other than "parent's brother"?

                              Strictly, no. Culturally, male friends close to the family will
                              sometimes be referred to as "uncle", 'cause they do lots of the same
                              things uncles do: Be someone who cares about the family, and
                              participates, but because he's not a parent, doesn't have the same
                              economic constraints or need to maintain authority, can have a
                              completely different relationship to the kids.

                              For instance: I've got a friend who's got two adolescent boys. She's a
                              70s feminist who's coming up against the harsh reality of male
                              puberty, but also a single mom who's run fairly ragged.

                              So I'm willing to be much more patient when I help with homework
                              ('cause I only see them once a week or so). And I don't have kids (and
                              don't plan on having kids), so I don't have to pretend that I find
                              kids cute or lovable, which means that we have a relationship dynamic
                              that ends up being more between equals. I can give them gifts that are
                              expensive, or perhaps things they really wanted rather than things
                              they should have.

                              When she's doing her 70s feminist "pornography is evil" thing I can't
                              exactly give 'em porn, but I can say "here, read some Nadine Strossen
                              or some Carol Queen, see what other people think about how that
                              influences culture", or "Hey, have you seen cleansheets.com?" to point
                              out that there are more variations to sex than just the image that
                              their mother hates so strongly.

                              And whene their mom is talking about the importance of studying hard
                              and applying themselves to education, and promulgating all those lies
                              about their own academic career that parents have to lay on, I'm
                              saying "yeah, I graduated in the top 60% of my high school class and
                              dropped out of college" and "my years as a professional whitewater
                              guide were a lot of fun".

                              And where parents can't have conversations with their kids about sex,
                              or push the "you're too young" line (which may be true, but won't stop
                              them), I can say "it's none of my business, but I had a few terrifying
                              experiences before I figured out that water based lube is a necessity
                              with condoms". Let's face it: Nobody wants to hear that from their
                              mom. Probably not even their dad.

                              Everyone I know refers to this as "playing uncle".

                              > Cross-cultural Did You Know of the day:
                              > In India, children often address elderly people (who are not related
                              > to them) as Uncle.

                              Probably a similar thing.

                              Dan
                            • jm
                              Message 14 of 18 , Nov 19, 2001
                                Hi,

                                I was wondering what was your 'policy' about linking to articles that are
                                not free (e.g. on WSJ, The Economist or Salon Premium) or that requires a
                                cookie / free registration (NYTimes) ?

                                Also, do you think that the "End of Free" will have an influence on the
                                collection of web links and therefore on the content of your online
                                publishing?

                                Cheers,
                                --
                                jm
                                Weblogue: (from english Web: network and latin logos:talk) opinion wishing
                                Message 15 of 18 , Nov 19, 2001
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Nov 19, 2001
                                    At 10:07 PM 11/19/2001, Mahesh Shantaram opined:
                                    > From a weblogging/journalists point of view, I like what Rebecca Blood does.
                                    >She mentions the the username (rebeccas_pocket) and password (I think it's
                                    >"blood") of a dummy account beside an NYT link. That was very helpful,
                                    >because earlier on, I wouldn't click on NYT links. The thought of a sign-up
                                    >process would deter me.

                                    All well and good, till the day NYTimes.com decides that it will restict a
                                    user name to only one session or IP.

                                    For NY Times articles, simply change the "www" in the URL to "partners" and
                                    you'll get in without any login process. For example:
                                    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/11/19/international/asia/19MILI.html

                                    This may not be the place for it, but I've always given false information
                                    for any such registration process. I was born in 1970 in the Falkland
                                    Islands, I'm in the lowest income group, I have absolutely no hobbies,
                                    never buy online, and my ZIP code is 90210.

                                    All false, of course.
                                    But they probably don't have any targeted advertising for Falkland Islands :)

                                    Do many of you do that too?

                                    >I believe that as the Web goes form free to paid, user experience will take
                                    >a kick due to widespread linkrot. I've written on this topic before:

                                    We'll always have Google cache :P

                                    Madhu

                                    <<< * >>>
                                    Madhu Menon
                                    User Experience Consultant
                                    e-mail: webguru@...

                                    Weblog: http://madman.weblogs.com
                                  • Dan Lyke
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Nov 19, 2001
                                      jm writes:
                                      > I was wondering what was your 'policy' about linking to articles
                                      > that are not free (e.g. on WSJ, The Economist or Salon Premium) or
                                      > that requires a cookie / free registration (NYTimes) ?

                                      I link to things I find interesting. If my readers can't figure out
                                      how to fill out a free registration box, or don't want to pay for the
                                      same publications I pay for, that's their call.

                                      If there's not a teaser at the site for non-paying members, I'll
                                      probably go out of my way to describe why I think a particular
                                      document is worthwhile, but so far Salon provides most of the meat of
                                      the article, in fact enough that if you care you can go find the rest
                                      of the facts in the article with Google, that it hasn't bothered me.

                                      I should probably subscribe to the Economist, but I'm trying to cut
                                      back on my mandatory reading.

                                      Dan
                                    • Brian Sobolak
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Nov 20, 2001
                                        Hello Madhu,

                                        Monday, November 19, 2001, 9:04:03 AM, you wrote:

                                        MM> This may not be the place for it, but I've always given false information
                                        MM> for any such registration process. I was born in 1970 in the Falkland
                                        MM> Islands, I'm in the lowest income group, I have absolutely no hobbies,
                                        MM> never buy online, and my ZIP code is 90210.

                                        MM> All false, of course.
                                        MM> But they probably don't have any targeted advertising for Falkland Islands :)

                                        MM> Do many of you do that too?

                                        Indeed. But I don't discriminate against just websites. I also do
                                        this on grocery store frequent buyer clubs, ordering pizza, and
                                        magazine subscriptions. billg has received a few Safeway Club Cards
                                        from me, and most people still give you a funny look when you give a
                                        very assumed name when ordering a sandwich (tuna on rye
                                        for...Batman?)

                                        It can be a useful technique for more than just identity hiding. I
                                        would give a fake title at most of the technical conferences I've
                                        attended, and then proceeded to see how they sell my name based upon
                                        the mail I receive with the fake title.

                                        brian

                                        --
                                        Got work? http://www.planetshwoop.com/resume/