More blogs in the news

  • info@scottandrew.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 8, 2001
      Decent coverage of the role of weblogs post-9/11

      "Web logs put a personal spin on global news"

      http://www.sacbee.com/content/lifestyle/story/1130656p-1198446c.html

      I find this quote from Steve Champeon the most interesting (of
      course):

      "Most of us don't have journalism-school degrees or any real
      experience with journalistic principles," says Champeon, 31. "You
      can't usually modify an institution from the outside, and you won't
      replace journalism with the occasional writings of amateurs."

      I think this is an interesting question. Is it realistic to see
      weblogging changing the institution of journalism from the *inside?*
      I already see established journalists blogging (Dan Gillmor, Jeff
      Jarvis, etc.), which is great, but their journalists first and
      bloggers second. Do you think there'll come a time when the reverse
      is acceptable?

      scottandrew
    • Bill Lazar
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 8, 2001
        Hmm, I have a journalism degree (USC, '83) but haven't been a full-timer
        since my first job out of school when I found that $10k/year is no way to
        have fun.