Re: [webloggerusergroup] Home Grown Blog Tools?

  • Phillip Harrington
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 8, 2001
      >Now, I have
      >generation scripts that create monthly archives and the front page,
      >which is way more sensible. This combined with everything in a
      >database makes it fairly easy to change everything site-wide if whim
      >dictates.

      I need to bring my Perl up a couple of notches, but at some point I would
      like to attempt this kind of static page generation thing. My host (he.net)
      does not have the CGI version of PHP installed, so I have to brush up on
      the Perl. Right now everything is PHP run on the fly. I would prefer to
      spit out static pages, but have the option to recreate them all when needed
      (or also optionally not recreate them, so that archives have the look and
      feel of the time they were created). I saw an interesting thing in the
      Apache mod_rewrite documentation about a rewrite rule that would serve a
      static .html version of a page, unless it was non-existant, in which case
      it would run the corresponding script to generate said static page, then
      serve it. Refreshing one's page would just require a cron job to go and
      delete their .html files. Whoa!

      >No RSS feed, through a combination of laziness and not really being
      >sure that it would be useful to anybody, ever.

      Yeah I did mine for experience, but I also doubt it's useful to anyone.

      Phil