Re: [webloggerusergroup] Re: Is there a cultural barrier to syndicati on?

  • J C Lawrence
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 8, 2001
      On Thu, 08 Nov 2001 08:41:44 -0000
      markkraft <markkraft@...> wrote:
      >In webloggerusergroup@y..., J C Lawrence <claw@k...> wrote:

      >> I like email...

      > So basically, you want a solution that works both on and offline
      > that runs on your computer, downloading data when connected that
      > you can later sort through.

      ...that I can mechanically filter and sort, creating my own
      presentations (the inbound content is raw material -- odds are I'll
      never look at it, just at my abstractions).

      Technically this makes little difference to except in that it may
      change how you assemble the resultant message so as to make it more
      easily mechanically processed.

      > You want to be able to choose between full feeds and headline
      > feeds, too.

      Yup. The full set would be one of headline, headline plus abstract,
      and full article.

      > Sounds reasonable.

      <bow>

      > Email is doable, I suspect, so long as it is sent out in several
      > large emails rather than endless streams of individual
      > emails.

      Either is fine. It would help if repetition was collapsed at the
      server (ie only one alert about any given item).

      > There are drawbacks to it, however, in that it would be nice to
      > have an application on your computer that could be used to filter
      > through all the dreck and repetition, returning just what you are
      > interested in. Even the best feeds are redundant with other feeds,
      > at times.

      True. That is however a presentation layer question rather than a
      data flow question.

      --
      J C Lawrence
      claw@... He lived as a devil, eh?