Calling Indian web loggers

  • Mahesh Shantaram
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 1, 2001
      Hi,

      If there ever is going to be an international conference on blogging and all
      that, it will surely be in America. That means I won't be able to make it.
      America is too far off, you see.

      So, I'm polling this list to find out if there are any Indian web loggers
      here. I'm interested in getting the Indian blogging community together as
      soon as I find it. Pardon me for sounding sectarian on this list, but you
      understand, don't you? If you know an avid Indian blogger, you could help me
      out. Thanks.

      Polling.. polling...

      ---
      Mahesh Shantaram
      http://msram.livejournal.com/

      { What's in a name? Would the element we call
      a "<rose/>" parse as well by any other name? }
    • Bill Kearney
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 1, 2001
        What about putting some sort of location information into the output
        feed from your blog? It might make it possible for someone to gather
        than info and present it on a map of sorts.

        Seeing how these blogs are international in scope, how about using
        lat/longitude values instead of place names? It's not as human
        readable but would be great for a map plotting service.

        -Bill Kearney
      • Madhu Menon
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 1, 2001
          I'm Indian, and my weblog is at http://madman.weblogs.com

          Regards,

          Madhu
        • JISH
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 3, 2001
            I am an Indo-Canadian, my weblog is http://www.jish.nu

            JISH

            > I'm Indian, and my weblog is at http://madman.weblogs.com
            >
            > Regards,
            >
            > Madhu
          • Tara Star
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 3, 2001
              Mahesh Shantaram wrote:

              > So, I'm polling this list to find out if there are any Indian web loggers
              > here. I'm interested in getting the Indian blogging community together as
              > soon as I find it. Pardon me for sounding sectarian on this list, but you
              > understand, don't you? If you know an avid Indian blogger, you could help me
              > out. Thanks.
              >
              > Polling.. polling...

              Well, I'm not exactly Indian, but I've "turned native" quite a bit
              during the year I spent living in Pune.

              http://climbtothestars.org/logbook/ (more of a journal)
              http://climbtothestars.org/india/6weeks/ (that is weblogging from India...)

              So if there's a category for "honorary Indians" (a title I was given a
              loooong time back it seems to me), I might fit in ;)

              --
              Je réponds au mieux de mes connaissances
              Climb to the Stars! - http://climbtothestars.org/
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 3, 2001
                > Well, I'm not exactly Indian, but I've "turned
                > native" quite a bit during the year I spent
                > living in Pune.
                > http://climbtothestars.org/logbook/

                I'm familiar with your site thanks to a link on Kamat AnthoBLOGy (
                http://www.kamat.com/vikas/blog.htm ), which is an excellent weblog on the
                eclectic interests of Vikas Kamat. I read your entire logbook in one
                sitting. It was great to learn about my country through your experiences. I
                also appreciate your tableless coding. Yes, I noticed :-)

                ---

                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 3, 2001
                  Hi all,

                  I guess I didn't make myself clear when I called for Indian webloggers. I
                  meant webloggers of any nationality who are residing in the Indian
                  subcontinent, rather than Indians from any part of the world. I'd like to
                  organise a user group here in India. If any of you have any experience
                  organising user groups, I'd like to know. Do write to me.

                  One of my favourite uses of the Internet as a community place is to meet new
                  people, learn about new cultures, and then possibly visit new countries if I
                  can get someone to play host. I used to visit many IRC chatrooms in search
                  of good company, but after many patient hours, all I could find was the
                  "a/s/l" types.

                  My theory is that it is easier to establish personal relationships with
                  webloggers than chatroom frequenters. And once such relationships are
                  formed, the user groups play the role of travel agencies. Interested in
                  visiting India? Want to get cheap accomodation and great local food? Want a
                  guided tour of a couple of cities? Sure, we can arrange that. We know who
                  you are and what you like because we read your blog.

                  Comments? Additions? Deletions?

                  ---
                  Mahesh Shantaram
                  http://msram.livejournal.com/

                  > So, I'm polling this list to find out if there are any Indian web loggers
                  > here. I'm interested in getting the Indian blogging community together as
                  > soon as I find it. Pardon me for sounding sectarian on this list, but you
                  > understand, don't you? If you know an avid Indian blogger, you could help
                  me
                  > out. Thanks.
                  >
                  > Polling.. polling...

                  Well, I'm not exactly Indian, but I've "turned native" quite a bit
                  during the year I spent living in Pune.

                  http://climbtothestars.org/logbook/ (more of a journal)
                  http://climbtothestars.org/india/6weeks/ (that is weblogging from India...)

                  So if there's a category for "honorary Indians" (a title I was given a
                  loooong time back it seems to me), I might fit in ;)

                  --
                  Je réponds au mieux de mes connaissances
                  Climb to the Stars! - http://climbtothestars.org/
                  no tables: http://climbtothestars.org/coding/tableless/
                  Pompeurs Associés - http://pompage.net/

                • Faisal Jawdat
                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 4, 2001
                    As you might guess by my name...

                    I'm a 12th generation American.

                    -faisal
                  • Robert Scoble
                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 4, 2001
                      Hi Weblogger Interest Group members:

                      I just concluded the polling on our group's name and you chose
                      "Weblogger Interest Group."

                      Now that that's done, I want to apologize to the group (and to Mark at
                      Live Journal) once again.

                      I stunk this place up pretty badly over the past week and I was
                      unprofessional and unkind toward Mark. I feel badly for turning a group
                      that had a lot of great energy into a downer for folks. So, to help make
                      it an upper again, I'm gonna buy you all a beer.

                      I'll bring a keg to the next meeting. If you don't drink beer, I'll have
                      some Diet Coke too. Live Journal folks are DEFINITELY invited and if I
                      ever sounded like I am not being inclusive, that's wrong.

                      This group should be fun, just like weblogging is.

                      So, where are we meeting on the 20th? I love Raines idea of having
                      dinner over his house in Oakland. Does that sound OK to everyone? Yeah,
                      I know it breaks our "South Bay/San Francisco" focus, but hell, rules
                      are made to be broken and Raines is offering to make us dinner for $5.
                      That sounds pretty damn generous to me and worth a trip across a bridge
                      (we can get a car pool system going, if there's interest in that).

                      Joe Willia is also working on getting us a more permanent meeting spot
                      on the Netscape campus in Mountain View. That sounds great too.

                      Any other ideas?

                      Let's also think about who we want to invite to speak for 20 minutes or
                      less at the meeting. There are so many great people in the group already
                      that I'd love to hear from. Who would you like to have a conversation
                      with?

                      Some ideas to get the group thinking:

                      I'd love to hear from Mark about what LiveJournal is hoping to see
                      happen with RSS and syndication, especially given their new
                      implementation. I have a lot of LiveJournal folks I'm starting to add to
                      my RSS feeds list. (And Raines did propose a "party with Live Journal"
                      theme for the meeting, which I love).

                      I'd love to hear from Chris Pirillo of Lockergnome about some of the
                      things that have happened in his life lately (he's a co-host on TechTV
                      now, and ran a conference, in addition to expanding his weblogging
                      efforts to include Linux).

                      I'd love to hear from Dan Gillmor, columnist from the San Jose Mercury
                      News, on what he sees as the new journalism and how weblogging is going
                      from a mass-media point of view (he's in Asia this month, though).

                      I'd love to hear from Matthew Haughey and how he uses photography to
                      communicate, and give us mere mortals some tips and tricks we can use
                      when we get our own digital cameras.

                      Any other ideas? It's your group. I'm just buying the beer and bringing
                      the computer.
                      _
                      Robert Scoble
                      ###
                    • John Abbe
                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 5, 2001
                        At 11:00 pm +0530 on 2001-11-01, Mahesh Shantaram typed:
                        >If there ever is going to be an international conference on blogging and all
                        >that, it will surely be in America. That means I won't be able to make it.
                        >America is too far off, you see.

                        I'll be in Sri Lanka for a communications training in March, and
                        possibly stop in India. Where do you live? Maybe we can have a south
                        asian webloggers gathering...

                        >So, I'm polling this list to find out if there are any Indian web loggers
                        >here. I'm interested in getting the Indian blogging community together as
                        >soon as I find it. Pardon me for sounding sectarian on this list, but you
                        >understand, don't you? If you know an avid Indian blogger, you could help me
                        >out. Thanks.

                        I'm not Indian, but i post fairly frequently re Sri Lanka (my wife is
                        from there; it's crept into my self-identity despite my pale skin :).
                        Like Faisal, i am 12th gen American.

                        My weblog AbbeNormal: http://www.ourpla.net/cgi-bin/pikie.cgi

                        Our (thoroughly unautomated) journals from our last visit to that
                        side of the planet:

                        http://www.ourpla.net/sasia99/

                        Life,
                        John
                        --
                        All you /\/\ John Abbe "If you don't like the news,
                        need \ / CatHerder go out and make some of your own."
                        Message 11 of 13 , Nov 6, 2001
                          At 09:05 am +0530 on 2001-11-04, Mahesh Shantaram typed:
                          >I guess I didn't make myself clear when I called for Indian webloggers. I
                          >meant webloggers of any nationality who are residing in the Indian
                          >subcontinent, rather than Indians from any part of the world. I'd like to
                          >organise a user group here in India. If any of you have any experience
                          >organising user groups, I'd like to know. Do write to me.

                          Whoops, missed this message until now...

                          I'll let you know if/when i move to Sri Lanka :). Paapum (read in
                          your log about Tamil -- i know a tiny bit)

                          >My theory is that it is easier to establish personal relationships with
                          >webloggers than chatroom frequenters. And once such relationships are
                          >formed, the user groups play the role of travel agencies. Interested in
                          >visiting India? Want to get cheap accomodation and great local food? Want a
                          >guided tour of a couple of cities? Sure, we can arrange that. We know who
                          >you are and what you like because we read your blog.
                          >
                          >Comments? Additions? Deletions?

                          If you want to visit the San Francisco bay area i'll try to help out, anytime.

                          Life,
                          John
                          p.s. Thanks for the link to the official Mahatma site!
                          Message 12 of 13 , Nov 6, 2001
                            John Abbe wrote:

                            > At 09:05 am +0530 on 2001-11-04, Mahesh Shantaram typed:

                            >>My theory is that it is easier to establish personal relationships with
                            >>webloggers than chatroom frequenters. And once such relationships are
                            >>formed, the user groups play the role of travel agencies. Interested in
                            >>visiting India? Want to get cheap accomodation and great local food? Want a
                            >>guided tour of a couple of cities? Sure, we can arrange that. We know who
                            >>you are and what you like because we read your blog.
                            >>
                            >>Comments? Additions? Deletions?

                            That sure is a nice idea. Really. The fact is that on the web, spatial
                            barriers fall down and we tend to all mix together. I'm not sure I know
                            any other webloggers in my country (a couple, maybe), but I do know
                            loads scattered around the world.

                            We've been working at getting a group of french-speaking webloggers
                            together, but that is in fact quite another story. It's a language
                            issue, not a spatial one.

                            So maybe it would be nice to have a South-East Asian webloggers group, a
                            European webloggers group, an African webloggers group, etc... Any
                            thoughts?

                            Tara

                            PS- sorry about any mail sent to me recently that bounced. Been having a
                            very sloppy change of servers.

                            --
                            http://tara.scdi.org/ right now.
                            Message 13 of 13 , Nov 6, 2001
                              At 10:09 pm +0100 on 2001-11-06, Tara Star typed:
                              >We've been working at getting a group of french-speaking webloggers
                              >together, but that is in fact quite another story. It's a language
                              >issue, not a spatial one.

                              Somewhere i thought i heard this weblogfrance group was having
                              face-to-face gatherings?

                              http://weblogfrance.manilasites.com/

                              >So maybe it would be nice to have a South-East Asian webloggers group, a
                              > European webloggers group, an African webloggers group, etc... Any
                              >thoughts?

                              Hmmm, we need an international project to airdrop cheap laptops with
                              satellite net connections in tech-poor areas. And ground troops of
                              multilingual geeks to explain it all. I'm assuming all these blogging
                              tools have Unicode support, right?

                              Of course, food & electricity would be welcome in many places as well.

                              Life,
                              John