Re: Identity Crisis + Homelessness = Personality disorders

  • Jay Allen
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 30, 2001
      --- In webloggerusergroup@y..., jason@s... wrote:
      > What happened to the 'Where should we meet poll?'
      > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/webloggerusergroup/surveys?id=10212332
      >
      > Can we announce a closing date for the poll and then make a final
      > decision on locations? Maybe even help Robert find meeting places?

      I'll set the close date to Nov 4th, the same day as the other closure...

      I've kept my mouth shut in the recent naminng brouhaha. At this point, I can honestly say, I don't give a shit what it's called. We shouldn't have been asked what it should be called, if a name was predetermined by the founder.

      I'm sure, at this point, that the name will contian 'weblog'. If that is the case, I think it's important for us as a group to define exactly what weblog means to us.

      Robert, I infer that your definition is something along the lines of "things posted on the web by a person or persons in sequential, chronological order".

      I personally define the term to mean "a list OF LINKS posted to the web by a person or persons in sequential, chronological order". (I have a weblog and a journal and they have distinct purposes)

      Using your definition, a name including 'weblog' is inclusive of many of the sites/people I (and Mark et al) feel would be excluded using my definition.

      If I'm correct about your definition and the group is okay with that definition, then that should be trumpted in our mission statement to make sure that no one feels excluded by a definition similar to mine.

      Do realize that it's semantics. This entire thing could have been avoided early on if we had simply defined what we as a group believe a 'weblog' to be...

      Let's take that opportunity Real Soon Now, okay?

      -j-
      http://www.openwire.com