Group Name (was Re: Bay Area Weblogger Group: What's Next?)

  • Jay Allen
    Message 1 of 100 , Oct 19, 2001
      So Robert will see this, my vote is:
      ============
      Online Personal Publishing Group (or OPP (yeah you know me) Group)
      ============

      It's vendor-generic, all-inclusive and is catchy.

      I completely agree with Mark that the term weblog is too narrow. As someone who often values their journal more than their weblog, I can say that Weblog User Group unnecessarily pigeonholes us. I like almost anything with "Personal Publishing" in it--even Personal Publishing Sheilas (although that has a distinctly different meaning in some parts of the world). If someone searches for the group, they will certainly find the word weblog displayed prominently all throughout the site/message board/etc.

      On a mailing list admin not, might I also be so bold as to suggest that we come up with possibilities, send them to the list (to stimulate others ideas), but to keep the discussion of others suggestions off of the list? Robert is assuredly collecting all of the ideas and will throw them into a simple Poll that we can take (see Yahoo Groups interface). The discussion about others suggestions not only makes for a lot of mail, but it also makes it harder for Robert to pull out the poll items.

      -j-
      http://www.openwire.com
    • Doug Kaye
      Message 100 of 100 , Nov 2, 2001
        On another forum, Julian Bond posted a link to an experiment by Cory
        Doctorow (http://www.craphound.com/fourblogs/). That gave me an idea. With
        less than five minutes of work, I threw together a sample (but very much
        live) page that displays four weblogs from their RSS feeds using canned
        JavaScript. (http://www.rds.com/newstest.html). It enhances the metaphor of
        blogger as columnist.

        ...doug