Group Name (was Re: Bay Area Weblogger Group: What's Next?)

  • markkraft@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 100 , Oct 19, 2001
      Glad you thought the ideas were of use, although I don't think you
      entirely got my first point.

      Yes, peapod is a flop-com. That is a valid point. However, what I
      wanted to get away from, especially for those who come at this from a
      journal or diary perspective, is using the term weblog. I don't think
      it is inclusive enough. It is a term that will turn some LiveJournal
      users off, assuming they even know what a weblog is in the first
      place, which, of course, most people don't.

      Fortunately, I just thought of a better name that I would favor over
      P-Pod any day of the week...

      How about "Online Publishing Enthusiasts Network" or OPEN. It not
      only spreads the net wide, it also has a very friendly acronym that
      really, to me, conveys exactly what this group is all about.

      Mark Kraft
      LiveJournal.com

      --- In webloggerusergroup@y..., "Diane" <dereese@m...> wrote:
      > --- In webloggerusergroup@y..., markkraft@y... wrote:
      > > Many comments:
      >
      > And many with which I agree, btw...
      >
      > > 1> Group name. It should be as vendor-neutral and as inclusive as
      > > reasonably possible.
      >
      > Excellent idea.
      >
      > > After thinking about names, I have a favorite to suggest that I
      > > think would be catchy, inclusive, and allow us to go from general
      > > to specific rather than predefining ourselves too specifically
      and
      > > wishing it were easier to backtrack later.
      >
      > I'm with you so far...
      >
      > > I think we should call our user groups Peapods (P-POD), an
      acronym
      > > for Personal Publishers Offline Discussion.
      >
      > Eeeeek! No, please. Peapod was an online grocery delivery service
      > which competed with Webvan (before its demise) in many areas and is
      > now in abbreviated operation on the east coast between CT and VA.
      > While I was one of the few people who tried single-handedly to keep
      > Webvan in business, I can't imagine naming our group after a
      grocery
      > delivery service (even inadvertently).
      >
      > For the reasons Mark mentioned above, I rather liked the Weblog
      > Interest Group suggestion made at the meeting. We can have wigs
      > rather than pods, eh?
      >
      > > 2> Meeting location. I don't think moving the meeting location
      > > around the bay is a good idea if you want to encourage
      attendance.

      > Your points are all valid on this one. Here's one perspective:
      while
      > I got a lot of energy out of this week's IRL meeting and plan to
      > continue to attend, I have two school-aged kids at home and a
      spouse
      > who travels a lot. There ain't no way in creation I can finish my
      > workday, pick up the kids, feed them, start them on homework, and
      > then get on a train to SF on a weeknight with the ability to return
      > home in time to get them in bed before 11 (!). It just ain't never
      > gonna happen: I can't EVER go to SF on a weeknight, for ANYthing.
      > Now, situationally-single parents with school-aged kids might not
      be
      > the audience this meeting is targeting (see Mark's comment on
      > Nielsen), in which case, I defer, and will only come on alternate
      > months, since I recognize that others have different yet just as
      > valid constraints on their time and travel. The alternate-months
      > thing just isn't the same as being a regular member, and is likely
      > serve to fragment the group.
      >
      > > I would suggest
      > > a place near the train and near the San Mateo Bridge.(Hayward
      Park,
      > > Hillsdale, etc.)
      >
      > If this suggestion works for people with needs different from mine,
      > I'm all in favor of it. If not, maybe instead of SIGs based on
      > interest, we need to admit that a single Bay Area group might not
      cut
      > it?
      >
      > Thanks for the thoughts, Mark, they're good ones. (I also agree
      with
      > your meeting structure points, but why bother with *too* much "me
      > too"?)
      >
      > Diane Reese
    • Doug Kaye
      Message 100 of 100 , Nov 2, 2001
        On another forum, Julian Bond posted a link to an experiment by Cory
        Doctorow (http://www.craphound.com/fourblogs/). That gave me an idea. With
        less than five minutes of work, I threw together a sample (but very much
        live) page that displays four weblogs from their RSS feeds using canned
        JavaScript. (http://www.rds.com/newstest.html). It enhances the metaphor of
        blogger as columnist.

        ...doug