Si il y a des français prêts à discuter...

  • elanceur@yahoo.fr
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 3, 2001
      que diriez vous de répliquer l'initiative de Robert en France ?
      http://weblogfrance.manilasites.com
    • Azzor
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 3, 2001
        At 09:36 03/10/01, you wrote:

        >que diriez vous de répliquer l'initiative de Robert en France ?
        >http://weblogfrance.manilasites.com

        Webloggers France is not quite the same as Webloggers Europewide is it.

        Anyways, Hi everybody, I was wondering if anyone was ever going to write
        something. :-) Nice to see you all - it's a great idea to have a group in
        my opinion - look forward to reading everyones mails.

        I'm pretty unlikely to make it to the bay area anytime soon, as I'm based
        in the Azores (mid-atlantic islands), but I'm British from London really.

        My personal site (it's new'ish so not too much there yet) is at
        http://www.azzorz.com and my weblog itself is at
        http://www.azzorz.com/weblog/blogger.html.

        I look forward to hearing from everyone everywhere. Where are you all from?

        Cheers,

        Azzor.
      • Robert Scoble
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 3, 2001
          Welcome everyone. I'm amazed at the response. I thought we'd be lucky to
          get 10 people to show up for the first meeting.

          I just put up a new list of members, both physical and virtual, at
          http://webloggerusergroup.manilasites.com/

          Now I gotta deal with the size of the group. Hmmm.

          Anyone have a projector they can bring to the meeting?

          Robert Scoble
        • scott@lights.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 3, 2001
            --- In webloggerusergroup@y..., "Robert Scoble" <scoble@u...> wrote:
            > Anyone have a projector they can bring to the meeting?

            I have a projector...but I live on the Canadian prairie, so it's not
            much use...

            What may be of use, however, is my "complete guide to web logs" at:

            http://www.lights.com/weblogs/

            which I put together to support some conference presentations I'm
            doing this year.
          • Robert Scoble
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 3, 2001
              >What may be of use, however, is my "complete guide to web logs" at:
              >http://www.lights.com/weblogs/

              Nice guide! Thanks.

              _
              Robert Scoble
              Director of Marketing
              UserLand Software
              We're turning the Web into a fantastic writing environment!
              http://www.userland.com
              ###
            • Doug Kaye
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 5, 2001
                As Robert mentioned--tucked away in his announcement of the Bay Area
                Weblogger User Group meeting--I'm writing a book with the working title of
                "Microcontent: Weblogs and Headline Syndication." (Okay, I admit that's a
                pretty stuffy title for a book aimed at non-techies.)

                I want the book to represent the wide spectrum of bloggers from the quirky
                and personal, to the conventional and structured. And although it sounds
                hokey, I'd like the book to be "of and by the weblog community." Therefore,
                I need your help. I need your input/feedback/thoughts/harassment/complaints.

                Please visit http://blogbook.weblogger.com, join the forum, and tell me what
                you think. Don't limit yourself to the few topics I've started; create your
                own. I'll take any and all input, even "I think a book is a stupid idea."
                (I've already heard that more than once.)

                Thanks. And I look forward to seeing some of you in Mountain View.

                ...doug

                Doug Kaye
                doug@...
                www.rds.com
              • scott@lights.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 5, 2001
                  That's odd (or not)...but I've just been asked to write a book about
                  weblogging, albeit from a slightly different perspective.

                  Looks like we'll need a new group for blog-book-writers, so we can
                  make sure we don't all write the same stuff...
                • Doug Kaye
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 15, 2001
                    As some of you already know, I'm writing a book with the working title of
                    "Microcontent: Weblogs and Headline Syndication." I've updated the BlogBook
                    website (http://blogbook.weblogger.com/) to include my preliminary outline
                    and lists of weblogs, directories and search engines, and blog-building
                    tools.

                    I hope you'll visit and pass along your $0.02. Do you think there's a market
                    for the book? (So far two publishers have said "yes".) What do you think it
                    should contain? (See the outline at
                    http://www.rds.com/books/weblogs/index.html.)

                    A year from now there will be a dozen books on weblogs. I'd like this one to
                    be not only the best, but the one that most-accurately reflects the
                    diversity of the blogging community.

                    Thanks for your help. I look forward to meeting many of you at tomorrow
                    night's meeting in Mountain View.

                    ...doug

                    Doug Kaye
                    doug@...
                    www.rds.com
                  • Heiko Hebig
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 16, 2001
                      any particular reason why you do not consider noah grey's greymatter?

                      heiko
                      www.hebig.com

                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                    • Doug Kaye
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 16, 2001
                        Thanks, Heiko. I had greymatter on the list, but noah's own site was
                        off-line for a while, so I took it off the list until I could verify it. I
                        just now put it back on (http://blogbook.weblogger.com/). I assume you use
                        greymatter for www.hebig.com. Can you tell us what you like about
                        greymatter? Have you considered other tools?

                        ...doug

                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 16, 2001
                          doug,

                          to answer your questions: i use greymatter. but not on hebig.com.

                          i have tried to install greymatter on the server (to which i only have
                          remote access) and kept on running into setup problems. i encountered a
                          problem and saw that several others had also posted similar error messages
                          on noah's support forum but there seemed to be a lack of a solution or
                          work-around at that time.

                          so i have been using blogger for my main site.

                          but i wanted to have a system that had (b)logging funtionality and the
                          blogger ease-of-use while running on my system (versus using a central
                          service such as blogger).

                          i have been toying around with phpwebsite (similar to phpnuke) over at
                          hamburgstories.org and very much liked its modular approach and the fact
                          that there are already various third-party modules available (such as the
                          weather integration).

                          a *while* back i was looking into frontier, then earlier this year tried to
                          get a radio userland site up and running - but pretty much failed in
                          creating a concept and supporting templates that worked for me. reason being
                          pretty much lack of time on my side. as much as i love dave's software
                          concepts and his pioneering work in many areas, and as much as i wish i
                          would be able to actually dig into frontier/manila/radio code, for me, being
                          rather low-tech, it was just too much work.

                          so again i was back at blogger and phpwebsite.

                          then, getting my fingers on a different server to host a bunch of new
                          domains, i actually succeeded in setting up greymatter at that other
                          machine. over there, set up was very smooth and worked just as described in
                          the documentation. there were other sites i frequently vist that were
                          powered by greymatter [www.vanderwoning.com, www.brooklynkid.com, etc.] and
                          i was really happy to finally have my own instance of greymatter running.

                          so i was looking into more advanced topics such as RSS syndication, etc
                          [related links:
                          http://www.eduardoarcos.com/articulos/syndicate/english.html,
                          http://webword.com/moving/rss.html%5d when i came across movabletype and the
                          announcement that they would release version 1.0 at around the end of
                          september. i was like "wow, this actually looks like something i always been
                          wanting to be able to do with my weblogs" and got really excited. well, it
                          worked.

                          if i had more spare time to work on my private sites, i would have already
                          converted the archives of hebig.com into movabletpye. it's going to happen
                          some time soon.

                          heiko

                        • Erin Malone
                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 16, 2001
                            Hi Doug -

                            I use greymatter for two logs that I am running on my site:

                            www.emdezine.com/designwritings

                            and

                            www.emdezine.com/photolog

                            I have been very happy with the tool and after some initial issues getting
                            set up it has run smooth for both blogs. I would be willing to answer more
                            questions about it as well.

                            I am currently in the process of setting up MoveableType and am about to try
                            an IMPORT of one of my logs to the new tool.

                            On the subject of WEBLOGS for your book -

                            did you consider some of the collaborative photologs out there:

                            photographica.org

                            or

                            pixelpile.org

                            These are multi-user photo sharing, commenting blogs. Real creative use of
                            the software and definitely has the potential to push the limits of what a
                            blog is or should be.

                            erin

                            on 10/16/01 8:56 AM, Doug Kaye at doug@... wrote:

                            > Thanks, Heiko. I had greymatter on the list, but noah's own site was
                            > off-line for a while, so I took it off the list until I could verify it. I
                            > just now put it back on (http://blogbook.weblogger.com/). I assume you use
                            > greymatter for www.hebig.com. Can you tell us what you like about
                            > greymatter? Have you considered other tools?
                            >
                            > ...doug

                          • Doug Kaye
                            Message 13 of 13 , Oct 18, 2001
                              Thanks again, Heiko. I'm going to be learning more about Movable Type ASAP.
                              The authors were at the first meeting of the Webloggers User Group here near
                              San Francisco, but although I was there, I didn't have a chance to meet
                              them. BTW, those two links you sent ([related links:
                              http://www.eduardoarcos.com/articulos/syndicate/english.html,
                              http://webword.com/moving/rss.html%5d) were broken.

                              ...doug

                              Doug Kaye