[webloggerusergroup] When is a weblog too popular?

  • Dan Lyke
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 27 8:33 AM
      Flutterby has long had a daily readership of about 400 daily readers,
      I figure about 1000 distinct readers per week. I always thought I
      wanted a daily readership of 10,000 or so, but recently I and my
      co-contributors made a few comments about the war, one of which ended
      up as #2 on a popular Google search, and we've attracted some real
      schmucks to the comment areas, and I've gotten more than usual
      incoherent paranoid and frankly just dumb emails.

      I've always laughed at Dave Winer's problems with what he terms "the
      weiner boys", I figured that the flames and stuff he got on his
      discussion area were mainly due to his personality, but now I'm no
      longer sure that that's the key factor.

      So, has anyone else out there discovered that they really wanted a
      smaller, more focused readership?

      Dan
    • Jeremy Bowers
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 27 9:03 AM
        Dan Lyke wrote:
        > So, has anyone else out there discovered that they really wanted a
        > smaller, more focused readership?

        Don't be afraid to toast the comments. In 2003, if somebody wants to
        express something, there is no shortage of places to do it; you don't
        need to feel obligated to host them on your site. If the comments are a
        net negative to you, toast 'em.

        If you like the idea of community, it doesn't mean you need to toast all
        feedback mechanisms, but you may want to use a more conventional
        discussion system with more mature controls. (This factors into the "net
        negative" determination, which is something personal that everybody has
        to decide for themselves.)

        Or just let normal weblog mechanisms kick in, and watch your referer
        logs, trackbacks, whatever.

        BTW, I think the Dream Gods misdirected a dream last night; I dreamed
        that my comment section was being overwhelmed with people posting nasty
        things, to the tune of several hundred comments on every posting. I've
        had comments off on my weblog for months now (the opposite problem; they
        were never used, everybody always posted on their own weblogs, so why
        bother?), so I'm not sure why I dreamt that. That's the first time I've
        dreamed about my weblog. Sounds like that one might have been meant for you.

        Back on topic: Are there *any* multiple-thousand-reader weblogs that
        have a comment mechanism? Several toyed with it and have since tossed
        them. (Den Beste & Winer to name two examples I know of.) Joel on
        Software still has a forum, but the design is unusual. (Perhaps there's
        something to learn there?)
      • Dan Lyke
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 27 9:11 AM
          Jeremy Bowers writes:
          > Back on topic: Are there *any* multiple-thousand-reader weblogs that
          > have a comment mechanism?

          I think /. and K5 count, although I rarely find anything of value there and
          usually let lower readership blogs point me to the ones worth reading.

          > (Perhaps there's something to learn there?)

          Yep. I'm starting to think about growing Flutterby's front page
          contributors a little more, then sneaking off to start another
          personal site somewhere and keeping this one deliberately small and
          mine.

          Dan
        • Luka Sherron
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 29 2:14 PM

            Hi Dan,

            Without sounding like another renegade, your post was a really honest commentary on how you felt based on the things that strangers said about something you wrote or helped create.

            Its not a good feeling. There are many reasons why this occurrance exists. You aren't the only one who's gotten their fair share of sh** . For now in these times its just a part of it. Like getting jumped in a gang. Everyone beats up on you to see if you can take it, if you are real or just in it for the 15. Then it trails off into oblivion.

            These words may or may not have soothed you. I don't know that anything can. It has happened to me too and I got rowdy right back, in spite of my wiser more understanding side. I didn't take it personally but I did take it to heart and heart is what I fought back with, for all of us who are interested in building a readership following like you've got take a bow. You have accomplished something of a small miracle.

            Keep growing!

             Dan Lyke <danlyke@...> wrote:

            Jeremy Bowers writes:
            > Back on topic: Are there *any* multiple-thousand-reader weblogs that
            > have a comment mechanism?

            I think /. and K5 count, although I rarely find anything of value there and
            usually let lower readership blogs point me to the ones worth reading.

            > (Perhaps there's something to learn there?)

            Yep. I'm starting to think about growing Flutterby's front page
            contributors a little more, then sneaking off to start another
            personal site somewhere and keeping this one deliberately small and
            mine.

            Dan

            Luka Sherron

            www.ecriteria.blogspot.com

            Do you Yahoo!?

          • Dave Winer
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 30 5:33 AM
              Luka, this thread is a fantastic example of how unbelievably cruel
              people can be.

              http://q.queso.com/index.php?archives/000930.php

              This flamefest happened a month after I heart surgery last summer,
              and the guy who started the fight is a doctor, if you can believe
              that.

              A lot of people on the Internet don't get that everyone else is a
              person too. I doubt if Levine, if he met me, and could see how frail
              I was at the time, would have led such a vicious attack. I was having
              trouble walking at the time. Basically a shut-in, glad to be alive,
              and looking for something to do. Jason Kottke said something kind
              about, me and the flaming started.

              To Dan Lyke, I expected more of you. Maybe now you understand that
              we're all people.

              Dave
            • vanilla_gazebo
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 30 10:26 AM
                on the brighter side, jason kottke said something nice to you...

                i agree...with the internet still a recent phenomenon, and the
                opportunities for anonymity that it provides creating room for
                mistrust, we have to make an effort to always be conscious that
                behind every screen- and domain-name, there is a person not
                unlike our offline aquaintances.

                i question the doctor's belief in his own profession.

                riVa

                --- In webloggerusergroup@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Winer"
                <dave@u...> wrote:
                > Luka, this thread is a fantastic example of how unbelievably
                cruel
                > people can be.
                >
                > http://q.queso.com/index.php?archives/000930.php
                >
                > This flamefest happened a month after I heart surgery last
                summer,
                > and the guy who started the fight is a doctor, if you can believe
                > that.
                >
                > A lot of people on the Internet don't get that everyone else is a
                > person too. I doubt if Levine, if he met me, and could see how
                frail
                > I was at the time, would have led such a vicious attack. I was
                having
                > trouble walking at the time. Basically a shut-in, glad to be alive,
                > and looking for something to do. Jason Kottke said something
                kind
                > about, me and the flaming started.
                >
                > To Dan Lyke, I expected more of you. Maybe now you
                understand that
                > we're all people.
                >
                > Dave
              • Luka Sherron
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 30 3:09 PM

                  i totally agree with you. much flaming is unnecessary. it is mean and in real life most of these flamers would never be so bold. ironic but food for thought to leaving a comment bar. lol ;) like i said i have been there! a couple of times with women in the blogging community (no names being dropped) at the time, i wasn't in any groups i had no one to discuss it with but i confronted those individuals and gave them a taste of there own medicine. they didn't like it either. i don't advocate flaming, but i do advocate protecting yourself from being wounded by flaming. Flaming is sophomoric and usually comes from a lack of ability to intelligently express honest emotion in an honest way with language.  Personally, i can get into a healthy debate easier with the opposite sex. lol i can take a good down and dirty debate with a man better than a woman, when you are open to flamers, flamers will retort. just keep writing and publishing because most of the readers you have don't comment they read, they think, they ponder, they write too.

                  Flamers are in it for the 15 most of the time. they gripe regardless. they almost never have any valid points to make or arguments to substantiate them.  they just regurgitate emotion all over anyone who gives them the opportunity. you don't have to tolerate it i have learned. respect is important, most of us were raised to give it and get it. i say further this thought to the flamers. i sick a little of my mother's home remedy for disrespect and they snap out of it lol, she (my mom) could bottle and sell this one.

                  Objectively, i would like to know more about this type of compulsive behavior, where it comes from,what does it me to flame from the flamers point of view, and what drives it?

                   Dave Winer <dave@...> wrote:

[...]

                • Bill Kearney
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 31 6:54 AM
                    > i question the doctor's belief in his own profession.

                    Without the rest of the story you might not want to be so hasty with
                    your criticism of Dr. Levine.

                    The larger story is out there, search for it. It's not hard to find.

                    As for limiting audiences, I think Rael said it best, ignore it and
                    the bad stuff will simply fade.
                  • Dan Lyke
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 31 9:15 AM
                      Luka Sherron writes:
                      > Without sounding like another renegade, your post was a really
                      > honest commentary on how you felt based on the things that strangers
                      > said about something you wrote or helped create.

                      Actually, if it had been relevant, even if it had been personal
                      attacks, I'd be fine with it. If someone adds a comment that says "Dan
                      tortures kittens" under a some mention of cats, that's fine[1]. When
                      someone says "Dan is obnoxious and smells bad", I try to take that as
                      constructive criticism.

                      Usually, especially if I have a strong reaction to something, an
                      attack has some sort of instigating factor.

                      What ticks me off about the latest assaults is that the utter
                      *im*personalness of it. These aren't who know me and want to attack
                      me. They aren't people wanting to communicate. They're people just
                      spouting off without regard for where or what. Much like the
                      protesters who've been causing havoc in San Francisco recently, they
                      don't have a message or a solution, just anger.

                      And I don't have room for that in my community.

                      Dan
                      [1] Even if it's not true. I'm not saying.
                    • Dan Lyke
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 31 1:30 PM
                        Dave Winer writes:
                        > To Dan Lyke, I expected more of you. Maybe now you understand that
                        > we're all people.

                        Dave. Yep: Mea culpa. I honestly thought that one could run a
                        discussion forum based on tone alone. And I was wrong.

                        Dan